Paramount Pictures' Sonic the Hedgehog movie

You know that makes me wonder...will they get someone new to voice Sonic for this? I mean Roger Craig Smith regardless of opinion IS Sonic at the moment. For a lot of younger fans, he is to them what Jason Griffith is to most of us. The issue is that this is a bit...more major than the average Sonic project. And when it comes to Game Companies and Hollywood, they seemingly can't help themselves. Sure, this guy is known by many for his performance, but THIS GUY was on the grown-up telly! He's therefore better, in fact he's perfect!

@Konami

James Marsden to star in Sonic the Hedgehog movie

Variety reports that James Marsden of Westworld and the X-Men franchise will star in Paramount Pictures‘ Sonic the Hedgehog movie, an adaptation of the popular game series from SEGA. This isn’t the first time that Marsden has worked on live-action/animation hybrid however, having previously starred in the Easter-themed comedy Hop.

The film will take its cues from the games as well, focusing on Sonic’s attempts to battle the evil Doctor Robotnik who is on a quest to assemble the Chaos emeralds. This mark the first time that the Sonic games have been adapted for the big screen, but the character has previously appeared in both Wreck-It Ralph and this year’s Ready Player One.

Source

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

Too bad Paramount doesn’t still own Kings Island, then we could totally have a Sonic themed roller coaster.

Not related to the film, but must interject - we Brits used to have a Sonic coaster. Well, it was a licenced repaint of the Screwball coaster at Alton Towers, but it had the full works. Even had a hotel room, noodle bar, plush toys in the UFO Catcher machines, even toys and bowls in the gift shop. It got closed for safety checks after the Smiler Coaster incident, then returned to being the Screwball in 2016.

Jim Carrey to play Robotnik in Sonic the Hedgehog movie!

Deadline is reporting that the Sonic the Hedgehog movie has found its villain with the addition of comedian Jim Carrey who will play Robotnik in the film. Carrey joins a cast for the live-action/animation hybid that includes Ride Along‘s Tika Sumpter and Westworld‘s James Marsden.

Also known as Dr. Eggman, Robotnik has been the primary antagonist of the Sonic franchise for decades, making his debut appearance in the first game in the series.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/955505-jim-carrey-to-play-robotnik-in-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie#UYhb38Pg483ZXtSD.99

That's actually not a bad casting decision. Jim Carrey is one of the best character actors out there. He could pull it off.

I mean he's very good at playing villains. I still think Count Olaf is one of his best roles. Yes, he's over the top, but you can see he puts his heart and soul into the character and make it out to be the best as he possibly can.

Curious, they're using Robotnik instead of Eggman.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

That's actually not a bad casting decision. Jim Carrey is one of the best character actors out there. He could pull it off.

I mean he's very good at playing villains. I still think Count Olaf is one of his best roles. Yes, he's over the top, but you can see he puts his heart and soul into the character and make it out to be the best as he possibly can.

Curious, they're using Robotnik instead of Eggman.

Yeah but I wonder how it will work because robotnik is still egg shaped and Jim Carrey is still fairly a skinny guy and most of his previous roles has him as a skinny guy. 

I was shocked too when I first heard about this, I mean I suppose that's why Fat Suits exist. XP

Although it really depends on what sort of Robotnik they're gonna go with, will he be along the lines of say AoSTH Robotnik and Dr. Eggman of the games or something more serious? I mean the latter isn't impossible but the former is quite likely, I mean if your gonna get Jim Carrey to do this he can do it right. He's a good choice although it's still very surprising.

13 hours ago, Akessel92 said:

Yeah but I wonder how it will work because robotnik is still egg shaped and Jim Carrey is still fairly a skinny guy and most of his previous roles has him as a skinny guy. 

Fat suit? xD

Honestly, I REALLY do not see how Carey could play Eggman. I mean don't get me wrong, he's a talented actor with plenty of good, dramatic work behind him. But Eggman? I really, REALLY don't see it. Plus this means for sure we're getting a live-action/photorealistic Eggman. Remember the last time we got one of those?

• 4 weeks later...

In-Production Pictures are finally here, people! Here we see the first glimpse of...Tom the Cop.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/07/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-first-pictures-of-james-marsden-on-set/

Honestly when I heard he was part of "da force", I was expecting a GUN expy or the army. Nope...he's actually a cop. A small-time policeman. Way to keep me guessing, I suppose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/images-from-sonic-movie-filming-reveal-the-town-of-green-hill

A new photo reveals Green Hill being the town that the film will apparently take place in, I gotta say that is the cheekiest thing I've seen so far for this film, and I love it. :D

No really it's pretty hilarious, it's cute and kinda makes sense I guess. Although I doubt it I gotta wonder if this takes place on some sort of incarnation of South Island or Westside Island...but I highly doubt that. I mean it's not exactly Green Hill Zone in appearance at all, all this does is make me question to what extent of reality does this take place in. We haven't seen Sonic yet but I do wonder if Sonic will come from Another World, sort of in a similar vain as Sonic X (except not terrible) or how Sonic Team has apparently treated the Canon of the Series in the games as of late.

Either way love the name of the town, can't wait to see what else is in store.

• Like 1

Had to shove a reference in there somewhere. Really though, this works for me. Partly because it's a small reference that fits in the world (I mean Green Hills DOES sound like a name for a quiet little town like that) instead of having the ACTUAL Green Hill Zone in there for really no reason and bashing you over the head with the nostalgia like Forces did.

Ben Schwartz Has Been Cast As Sonic The Hedgehog

Next year, Sega’s video game icon, Sonic the Hedgehog, is getting his own feature film for the first time. Now, the voice of Sonic has finally been found. Variety is reporting that House of Lies star Ben Schwartz has been signed to portray Sonic. Schwartz’s previous credits include Parks and Recreation, How to Be a Latin Lover, and the upcoming film, Night School. Schwartz also voices Dewey Duck on DuckTales, Leonardo in Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and he was a “vocal consultant” for BB-8 in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

source

• 4 months later...

http://www.tssznews.com/2018/12/11/former-current-sonic-team-members-react-to-sonics-movie-design/

Their reactions are pretty interesting, kudos to the ones who can joke about this. :D

I'm still gonna wait for the trailer, I mean look I'd never expect Sonic's noodle limbs to make it in live action. Simply put it that would never fly in theaters. Besides we all knew to expect a design change for the movie, although granted I didn't expect his shoes to be sans a belt buckle but they look cool. My only complain would have to be his head, it's way to big for his body, at least in that teaser poster. For a body with an actual build on proportions it does not look great with that head.

From the outline I can tell they've kept the gloves, at least I think so. That and they might have given him blue arms, which I was curious if they were going to go with that.

Fan reaction however, look I was expecting it to be crazy. It's just the way of things on that end. I don't expect much from the film to be honest, but with it's budget it should more than break even at least.

Originally I thought this was going into the territory of  "It's so bad it's good"

Now and at this rate, I'm kinda hoping Sega pulls the film and cut their losses.

Better yet, I'm hoping this will light a fire under SoJ, SoA, and Sonic team to make a game that's got the quality akin to Super Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  and the fun of Mania, Generations, Unleashed, and the Adventure series

Could have done something like this with the design and you would have been alright.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Better yet, I'm hoping this will light a fire under SoJ, SoA, and Sonic team to make a game that's got the quality akin to Super Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  and the fun of Mania, Generations, Unleashed, and the Adventure series

That should have happened after 06. And Rise of Lyric. And Forces. It did not.

Look, I wasn't expecting much from the film, I thought Sonic would look like Blue-Core!Sonic, but slightly worse. But THIS?! They didn't even get the shoes right. He's not wearing socks. It's actually 96.3% wrong. I can only hope and pray it looks better in motion. But it probably won't.

Well...Disney never tried. But if they did, I'm certain they'd devote years of thought and testing into making him look right in live-action. Like the Detective Pikachu stuff. It's clear they spent a long time working out how they should look, how they should cross the barrier between cartoony and fictional and cartoony yet almost real. This Sonic design, on the other hand, feels like some bigwigs sat down and went, "Let's make it HYPER-REALISTIC, to make him look cool and edgy! Let's REALLY Micheal Bay this one! No-one cares! It's just for kids!"

I mean, I wanted an anthro Sonic, sure. I'm fine with the noodle limb style, but I know a lot of people are not. And with good reason; I do sometimes wonder if the stories to 06 and Shadow would have been a bit easier to tolerate if the characters were full anthro instead of...well, 90's era platform mascot stuff. But there's a decently thick line between anthro as we know it, and making something as realistic as possible, for no other reason than because you can. And they Drop Dashed across that line anyway.

Also, a friend of mine found some spiel from Richmond Lee where he goes into detail on why this design is as it is. It's worth reading, check it out; https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1072912281401360384

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2019 at 6:37 PM, WarTraveller said:

So I got some more news, seems Toy Network, who already have the rights to Sonic plushies as-is, got the rights to make toys based off of the movie, too.

So we'll be getting some plush toys of Gremlin Movie Sonic.

Gremlin Sonic?  New fan character I'd wager...

I was never fond of the idea of a live-action Sonic movie, and the poster just confirms my fears.  I also don't understand why they could not use one of Sonic's previous voice actors or even Smith to tie the character more to the games and expanded Sonic universe.  I have not known a recent Sony movie to come out better than average, and I'll doubt Sony will show much love to the Sonic lore other than keep to a Modern Sonic storyline.  I'd still say that the movie is gonna be a Sonic X rip-off without any of the pleasures the anime gave.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah there is animation that is in uncanny valley territory. Some of it looks good. And Carrey seems decent in his role and later in trailer he does go bald and get the Uber Stache. The Badnik bots look like the ones from 06 and the second sonic riders game in terms of design aesthetics. Kinda disappointed they didn’t have the classic badniks (i.e., buzz bombers, motobugs, crabmeats, etc.) 

I think the film will be watchable. I think it will hover around the 50% mark on RT. But I dont think it will be terrible.

31 minutes ago, WarTraveller said:

I'll say this, though. Carey is clearly having a ball as Eggman.

I'm getting some Ace Ventura vibes from him.

It would take a smarter man than me to answer that question.

Let's be real though; if it bombs, SEGA will just brush it off to the side and act like it never happened.

Apparently it works cause when was the last time they recognized Archie (prior to cancellation), 06, any of the 90s cartoons, etc.? Maybe we'll get lucky and they do what Nintendo did after the Mario Bros. Movie: Make a great game after it (SM64 came out after the Movie)

On 5/2/2019 at 5:10 AM, Wulfsbane said:

Let's be real though; if it bombs, SEGA will just brush it off to the side and act like it never happened.

Really, they'd probably do that if the film was somehow successful. They have a long history of burying their head in the sand and forgetting things ever happened. But when they do that, they don't learn the lessons they frankly should have learned decades ago. Lessons like, "Don't rush games to market for quick profits" and "Don't give your license to any old developer, especially those who don't understand the source material". It's this stubbornness that has led to Sonic being this joke propped up by nostalgia and memes. They could have fixed this, and yet...they didn't.

That's not to say the blame is entirely on them in this case. Hell, it's barely on them in this case. Paramount knew from the VERY FIRST teaser that people despised the design, they had months upon months to pull the "we're going to fix this honest" stunt. But they went with it anyway, so sure their vision was superior to those of the fans or even Sega themselves. It's not even uncaring so much as it is arrogance, Nintendo levels of it. This isn't SEGA's thing, or the fans' thing like Detective Pikachu is. No, this is Paramount's thing. Their ugly, probably toy-shilling thing. I'm at least very happy that they agreed to change up the design, but now I'm just sort of worried for all the animators who will be working endless hours of (very likely unpaid) overtime to fix an issue that never needed to be one in the first place.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:10 AM, Wulfsbane said:

Maybe we'll get lucky and they do what Nintendo did after the Mario Bros. Movie: Make a great game after it

Considering Sega's track record of game quality, I find that quite unlikely.

8 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

Really, they'd probably do that if the film was somehow successful. They have a long history of burying their head in the sand and forgetting things ever happened. But when they do that, they don't learn the lessons they frankly should have learned decades ago. Lessons like, "Don't rush games to market for quick profits" and "Don't give your license to any old developer, especially those who don't understand the source material". It's this stubbornness that has led to Sonic being this joke propped up by nostalgia and memes. They could have fixed this, and yet...they didn't.

That's not to say the blame is entirely on them in this case. Hell, it's barely on them in this case. Paramount knew from the VERY FIRST teaser that people despised the design, they had months upon months to pull the "we're going to fix this honest" stunt. But they went with it anyway, so sure their vision was superior to those of the fans or even Sega themselves. It's not even uncaring so much as it is arrogance, Nintendo levels of it. This isn't SEGA's thing, or the fans' thing like Detective Pikachu is. No, this is Paramount's thing. Their ugly, probably toy-shilling thing. I'm at least very happy that they agreed to change up the design, but now I'm just sort of worried for all the animators who will be working endless hours of (very likely unpaid) overtime to fix an issue that never needed to be one in the first place.

Considering Sega's track record of game quality, I find that quite unlikely.

But SEGA doesn't really need the profits. Most of their money comes from panchinko machines. The problem is that you have the likes of Iizuka (who I kinda feel bad for in a way) and the rest of the old guard at SEGA who believe that they (SoJ) know what's best. Recently it seems Iizuka's kinda relaxed a bit, judging by the SxSW panel as he seemed loose and relaxed. A rumor has floated around that Atlus wants to make a JRPG spinoff for Sonic... which intrugies me.

There's a theory floating around that when Sega saw the design months ago, they asked Paramount to change the design to make it closer to what Sonic looks like in the game but release the trailer with the design as is to get people talking about the film... which worked really. As I said earlier (and doing a bit of research to mostly confirm it) Paramount typically doesn't do trailers until 3-4 months until release. Right now we're about 6-7 months out so it could give credence to the theory that they dropped the trailer to get people talking about it, cause people are now interested in the movie more than they were before, regardless of the reason.

With 2 more years until the 30th anniversary and the only game due is TSR (which looks great), I'm gonna put money on Mania 2 and another game in development by now that's due in the 2 years.