Neither.  They are two extremes that believe that the other should not experience the other extreme's emotions.  This is rooted mostly in some eastern religions where Star Wars did receive a lot of influence with the idea of the Force, but I can't agree with their view of emotions.  God made man with a wide range of emotions, and while emotions can certainly drive a person to do various things, it is still the man's choice for every action that he does.  The Jedi believe it is wrong to know fear and anger, but just because these feelings are "negative" does not make them evil in themselves: it's part of being a man.  Fear is needed in somethings, and courage is never the removal of fear.  Anger is needed for certain things as well.  Yes, people can really be taken away by these emotions, but they choose to allow it to happen.  As for the Sith, they are contrived as beings devoted to themselves and their own desires...can't say I support that either.  I honestly can't relate to either group.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2016 at 1:48 PM, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Thrawn!

I am actually looking into some Star Wars Role-laying games right now for the Forum. Stuff like that gets you excited for it.

Oh gosh, Thrawn is the man with the plan. Gotta love that crazy Sonuva Chiss. :D

__

And more updates on Rogue One:

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

I do wonder though. What did you think of The Force Awakens, Stranger? I personally thought it was...alright, I guess.

It was good for me. There was some hiccups in the execution and I would have added a few more scenes to exposit the political atmosphere. Overall, I feel like it was the first part to a three part story. I think it's not perfect - but I really feel people have both loved and hated it too soon given its following en-medias-race style. I feel like it's trying to bring back the relavatory experience of the original films from the perspective of those experiencing it in theaters. We know all the spoilers back and forth and have Episode 1-3. We all know who Vader really is and who Luke's sister and father is. But the people in the 70's and 80's did not, they were thrown into a story already in the motions when it came to a New Hope (episode four). In writing this is called a "Revelatory Plot" (Eg. Narnia series) rather than a "Chroniogical Plot." (Eg Hunger Games series). I think it's too quick to critique this first story just yet as a whole when it comes to the characters and lore as it something that is clearly extending far beyond the confines of this one film. My opinions will become more solidified when the second Act of this three part structure arrives. 

1 minute ago, TheRedStranger said:

It was good for me. I feel like it was the first part to a three part story. I think it's not perfect - but I really feel people have both loved and hated it too soon given its following the en-medias-race style. I feel like it's trying to bring back the relavatory experience of the original films from the perspective of those experiencing it in theaters. We know all the spoilers back and forth and have Episode 1-3. We all know who Vader really is and who Luke's sister and father is. But the people in the 70's and 80's did not, they were thrown into a story already in the motions when it came to a New Hope (episode four). In writing this is called a "Revelatory Plot" (Eg. Narnia series) rather than a "Chroniogical Plot." (Eg Hunger Games series). I think it's too quick to critique this first story just yet as a whole when it comes to the characters and lore as it something that is clearly extending far beyond the confines of this one film. My opinions will become more solidified when the second Act of this three part structure arrives. 

Fair enough. TFA is obviously the start of a long story, so it's probably a bit too early to judge it overall. As an actual film, it was still good. Not my favourite, though. THAT goes to Deadpool.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have watched both force awakens and last Jedi. Initially, I liked  force but did have some degree of distaste for the start of this new trilogy but it was last Jedi that really turned me off of the new trilogy. Which I must say I dislike how snoke is presented, how cynical Luke was portrayed, and finally how the first order went from just a no name secret remnant of the empire to taking control of the galaxy just like that. 

Will later have a more detailed review as soon as remember how to hide spoilers. 

Personally, I thought it was okay, not spectacular, but entertaining nevertheless. I think people have: 1. Set the bar too high as far as their expectations, and 2. It's a beloved franchise and no matter wot they did people were going to give them static over it. That being said, in my opinion neither of the recent films outside of Rogue One will never be distinguished in the annals of film making. To be honest this last one felt like a money grab, and it worked, but eventually the fans will eventually quit buying tickets for mediocre entertainment; at least I hope so....

The Star Wars Sequel trilogy review so far. 

Personally there is not much to cover for the movies The force awakens and The last Jedi offer little to the Star Wars universe as really they repeat the original beat for beat. Not only that they struggle to establish themselves within the Star Wars universe as something new and unique while upending story that has been established for years. Kylo Ren's line "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to." particularly sums the attitude and spiritual core at this trilogy. I'm going to focus on three major themes (Luke's character, the first order in general and the rebellion/resistance/ new republic) in three posts as to how these elements fall short storywise starting with Luke.

Luke Skywalker as to remind people here on this post is the last Jedi in the galaxy trained by Kenobi and Yoda in their ways of the force but also did the things neither one could do. Which was to Triumph over Emperor Palpatine aka Darth Sidious and Darth Vader, Luke's father who turned to dark side of the force and became Sidious' apprentice at the twilight of the clone wars and the rise of the empire. Luke, regardless of having his hand chopped off by Vader, was able to forgive and redeem his father enough to achieve his destiny to bring balance to the force, kill the emperor and obtain immortality as a spirit of the force. He saw good within his father who had slain and enslaved countless lives through his anger and his loyalty to the emperor and the conflict within his very soul. Luke also saw the dark side lied within himself as well and was able to square with it. So the original trilogy gave Luke his identity as a man who went through trials and triumphed. One would think he would live happily and restore the Jedi order in his own way and teachings unlike his predecessors that were often separated from the light side, arrogant to the reality of the dark side of the Force, and tied to or completely cut off from the temporal affairs of the galaxy and unable to act effectively to whatever situation. However, it seems in the new trilogy he learned nothing from his predecessors. 

In these two movies alone he lived in isolation and was unaware that the scattered remnants of the empire reconstituted into what would be called The First Order. He was also arrogant and unaware of the reality of not only the existence of a powerful no name practitioner of the dark side of the Force who now lead the First order, Supreme leader Snoke, but to the darkness that laid within his own nephew, Ben solo aka Kylo Ren.  Snoke would take advantage of this and seduced Ben to the dark side. Which lead to a growing sense of fear Luke had during his training of his nephew which gave him the thought of killing his own nephew because of this darkness which only lead to his own undoing with Ben turning on his uncle and destroying the new Jedi temple Luke established and very likely killed most of his apprentices. Because of this he has become isolated, cynical and jaded like Yoda and without hope of redeeming his nephew. 

This goes against every precedent that was set for Luke. I don't mind him being cynical with age but having him lose faith to the point of killing his own nephew immediately when Ben showed signs of being seduced by the dark side while his own father whom seemed too far gone and yet Luke turned him back to the light, is beyond a stretch. Also, unlike the old Jedi Luke would have been aware of both the resurgence of the dark side through Snoke and the rise of the first order from contact with his sister, friends, and allies along with his connection to the force. This would've if not should've undermined Snoke and kept Ben from turning to the dark side. Also, this foresight via the force would have dealt the first order a blow with which it couldn't rise and overtake the new republic as it had. 

Unfortunately, Luke made all the same mistakes and forgot all that Obi-Wan and Yoda taught him. 

• 3 weeks later...

“Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?” Han Solo, Star Wars: A New Hope. 

Spoilers ahead. 

RKKV’s make little sense in the Star Wars universe given that Hyperspace is basically a form of alternate dimension, like someone phasing into an alternative universe where there is a convenient hyper-loop where there was once a traffic jam and phasing back to your destination. The director admitted in a tweet he knew little of TFA while writing this script. I think it’s safe to assume he does not know any of the basics of the universe’s physics as well. The reality of an RKKV changes everything and muddies the purpose of innovations like the Death Star. Why build a brodingnagian death-moon when you could simple shoot something slingshot something like a drone-operated Tie-Phantom? What keeps mass criminal chaos and terrorism when anybody could probably now do this? Even if this form of FTL-transportation is “new” then it opens pandora’s Box and still could have been used to destroy the Star Killer Base with a single ship and thus would render it moot. There is also the in universe discrepancy of why silly Admiral K-pop Hair would run out of fuel, risk lives (and have many, many innocent die), when they could have done this at anytime and even rig up an autopilot rather than be secretive to the point of a mutiny. 

With all this said, what are your thoughts on RKKV in Star Wars and the implications thereof? Why do you think we see such irrational behavior pertaining to the execution of this tactic by Resistance leadership? If you think this is bad writing, why do you think someone in this billion dollar company missed such a frankly novice and facile discrepancy?

5 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

“Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?” Han Solo, Star Wars: A New Hope. 

Spoilers ahead. 

RKKV’s make little sense in the Star Wars universe given that Hyperspace is basically a form of alternate dimension, like someone phasing into an alternative universe where there is a convenient hyper-loop where there was once a traffic jam and phasing back to your destination. The director admitted in a tweet he knew little of TFA while writing this script. I think it’s safe to assume he does not know any of the basics of the universe’s physics as well. The reality of an RKKV changes everything and muddies the purpose of innovations like the Death Star. Why build a brodingnagian death-moon when you could simple shoot something slingshot something like a drone-operated Tie-Phantom? What keeps mass criminal chaos and terrorism when anybody could probably now do this? Even if this form of FTL-transportation is “new” then it opens pandora’s Box and still could have been used to destroy the Star Killer Base with a single ship and thus would render it moot. There is also the in universe discrepancy of why silly Admiral K-pop Hair would run out of fuel, risk lives (and have many, many innocent die), when they could have done this at anytime and even rig up an autopilot rather than be secretive to the point of a mutiny. 

With all this said, what are your thoughts on RKKV in Star Wars and the implications thereof? Why do you think we see such irrational behavior pertaining to the execution of this tactic by Resistance leadership? If you think this is bad writing, why do you think someone in this billion dollar company missed such a frankly novice and facile discrepancy?

It is intriguing that RKKV's could really change the game in Star Wars. As building a new hyperdrive missile or bomb could really change the outcome of conflicts across the galaxy as well as devastate it. I mean the clone wars devastated the galaxy in three years time and created the empire it's very likely this conflict between the new republic/resistance and the first order would devastate the galaxy until its unrecognizable as the first order may use this technology for their own purposes and so on.

Storywise I can't wrap my head the irrational decisions made by Resistance leadership aside from the fact that many of its leadership that was of the former rebellion was already all but gone. I feel writing-wise it's more of the nihilism and lack of direction the story has. 

I think they messed up because they, Disney only wants the money from the franchise not to make anything lasting and also jump politically correct bandwagon because they think it's hip because "it's the current year". 

• 4 weeks later...

David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, the guys who make HBO's Game of Thrones, have been tabbed to write and produce a new series of Star Wars Films.

I'm actually really interested in what they will do. They've shown to be really good with source material except for the Sand Snakes, we dont talk about that and know how to deliver a good product. Course I expect it to be toned down compared to GoT but it's still fascinating.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's official, the series Star Wars Rebels has ended though it wrapped a lot of threads from its beginning along with its predecessor The Clone Wars, however I do wish to go into detail of the series and it's finale.

i wish to also inform that a new Star Wars animated series is in the making called Star Wars Resistance, likely taking place in the sequel trilogy. 

That finale went from predictably bad to unbelievably awful.

As with so many aspects of Disney Star Wars, I honestly find it difficult to FATHOM how some of these ideas were conceived, much less accepted by an individual and put on paper, to say nothing of them being subsequently greenlit by others.

As someone who enjoyed Season 1 a great deal and absolutely loved the interlude special featuring Vader, it's saddened me to see the series quickly fall apart since then. Following Siege of Lothal, there are very, very few episodes I would consider good (though series' best The Honorable Ones is among them), with the remainder an even mix of mediocre and outright bad.

3 hours ago, Sorzo said:

That finale went from predictably bad to unbelievably awful.

As with so many aspects of Disney Star Wars, I honestly find it difficult to FATHOM how some of these ideas were conceived, much less accepted by an individual and put on paper, to say nothing of them being subsequently greenlit by others.

As someone who enjoyed Season 1 a great deal and absolutely loved the interlude special featuring Vader, it's saddened me to see the series quickly fall apart since then. Following Siege of Lothal, there are very, very few episodes I would consider good (though series' best The Honorable Ones is among them), with the remainder an even mix of mediocre and outright bad.

Would season 3 episode 6 "the last battle" count among them? 

Not really, no.

Skimming off of Wikipedia, these are the episodes in Season 2 onward that stood out as being genuinely strong and that I wouldn't mind watching again:

Season 2:

Siege of Lothal Part 1 and 2

The Honorable Ones

Twilight of the Apprentice Part 1 and 2

Season 3:

Trials of the Darksaber (I'm shocked by how much I enjoyed this episode, considering I dislike pretty much every other episode related to Sabine and the Mandalorians)

Through Imperial Eyes

Twin Suns (last scene between Obi-Wan and Maul only; the bulk of the episode with Ezra is awful, and it's a travesty that every second of the episode wasn't devoted to the two)

Zero Hour Part 1 and 2

Season 4:

In the Name of the Rebellion Part 1 and 2

Rebel Assault

Jedi Night

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sorzo said:

Not really, no.

Skimming off of Wikipedia, these are the episodes in Season 2 onward that stood out as being genuinely strong and that I wouldn't mind watching again:

Season 2:

Siege of Lothal Part 1 and 2

The Honorable Ones

Twilight of the Apprentice Part 1 and 2

Season 3:

Trials of the Darksaber (I'm shocked by how much I enjoyed this episode, considering I dislike pretty much every other episode related to Sabine and the Mandalorians)

Through Imperial Eyes

Twin Suns (last scene between Obi-Wan and Maul only; the bulk of the episode with Ezra is awful, and it's a travesty that every second of the episode wasn't devoted to the two)

Zero Hour Part 1 and 2

Season 4:

In the Name of the Rebellion Part 1 and 2

Rebel Assault

Jedi Night

*looks through the list* good selection but why "not really, no" on season 3 episode 6? 

That episode wasn't horrible or anything, but I thought it was just forgettable fanservice. I'm not that big a fan of TCW either (though I liked it more than Rebels, looking back), especially its take on the Separatists, so a gimmick revolving around incorporating battle droids into Rebels did nothing for me.

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2018 at 9:14 PM, Sorzo said:

That episode wasn't horrible or anything, but I thought it was just forgettable fanservice. I'm not that big a fan of TCW either (though I liked it more than Rebels, looking back), especially its take on the Separatists, so a gimmick revolving around incorporating battle droids into Rebels did nothing for me.

Seems like Kathleen Kennedy might get the boot after Soylo bombed.

2 minutes ago, WarTraveller said:

Wait, that got released already? I literally heard nothing about it, like actually nothing. One trailer, then that was it! Don't these films come out in December? 

Nope. And it’s already had around a 65% drop off rate in sales in its following weeks. 

12 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

Well, the lack of advertising probably didn't help. Also probably means that they had little confidence in it to begin with. 

Here in the States it was heavily advertised. So far it’s lost Disney 50$ million and then there is the stock market. People are pulling out big time.

Man this series truly has gone downhill, I DO like Star Wars bar the hiccups of the Prequel Trilogy but all of the recent ongoings and attemptef pandering just makes me want to check out the Original Expanded Universe. I believe Heir of the Empire is the sequel novels after the Original Film Trilogy correct?