What Would Your Ideal Mario & Sonic Game Be?

Honestly? I'd just like A Mario and Sonic game. A platformer where you have to use the skills of both to properly proceed, where the two must put aside all differences and fight the combined forces of Eggman and Bowser in the ultimate showdown. Hell, make the true villain really meta by him knowing of the war between the two and being sour over the "winner", wanting to perpetuate the war forever! I'd rather have ANYTHING over those poorly made, pointless, cash-cowing, shovelware Olympics games. When I think of Mario and Sonic, I shouldn't think of playing ping pong with King Boo and Zavok. I should think of Mario and Sonic!

...Though failing that, a game version of Super Mario Brothers Z would be pretty cool.

14 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

Honestly? I'd just like A Mario and Sonic game. A platformer where you have to use the skills of both to properly proceed, where the two must put aside all differences and fight the combined forces of Eggman and Bowser in the ultimate showdown. Hell, make the true villain really meta by him knowing of the war between the two and being sour over the "winner", wanting to perpetuate the war forever! I'd rather have ANYTHING over those poorly made, pointless, cash-cowing, shovelware Olympics games. When I think of Mario and Sonic, I shouldn't think of playing ping pong with King Boo and Zavok. I should think of Mario and Sonic!

...Though failing that, a game version of Super Mario Brothers Z would be pretty cool.

This....but allow me to add a few ideas.

The idea of having the characters use their powers could also work well in combo abilities that could allow them to access new areas.  For example:  Have Luigi use his high jump ability to get as high as possible, then switch to Tails to fly up the rest of the way.  Or have Sonic build up speed and then quick switch to Wario to have him crash through multiple walls.

As for the end boss?  Lemme ask you this:  What would happen if Bowser became Giga Bowser...and was then given the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds?  *grins evilly*  Admit it...you want to fight that boss!

I like the idea of a Sonic/Mario team up gameplay, but I have a concern.  Whenever I played Mario games, most of the characters have very similar attributes or techniques that seemed very shallow outside of their gameplay.  Compared to Sonic's team, Mario's doesn't have much more to offer in gameplay.  You mentioned about using Luigi to use a high jump to gain access to a high place: that would be decent in a Mario platformer but in a Sonic game, I don't see how it would help too much.  In the Genesis games, Sonic could jump really high if you got a couple factors straight (speed, velocity, angle, timing) and Tails and Knuckles certainly have no trouble reaching high places.  What about using Wario to crash through multiple walls? Sure, except Sonic could already do that with his spindash (how many walls did we have to break through in Sonic 3?), and anything else that is too strong for Sonic's spindash, Knuckles pretty much takes over.  Understand this that if you were to combine Sonic/Mario into a teamplay one of two things would happen: Mario and his team would be bulked up to keep up with Sonic's gameplay, or Sonic's team would have to worfed to work around Mario's gameplay.  It would remind me once again of the Olympics: Sonic and his team are worfed to not make them overpowered for Mario's team.  If Sonic's team got worfed in gameplay, you have nothing better than another Sonic Boom project.  Unless handled properly, Sonic and Mario can never play the same adventure on an even turf: Mario can't keep up with Sonic, so the gameplay would have to go at Mario's pace (except for special stages).  With his speed nerfed, Sonic is already losing a main attribute to his gameplay.  If Nintendo and Sega decide to ever create a game for the two, it would have to be a unique gameplay or otherwise, Sonic and his buddies are going to get worfed.  I am tired of seeing Sonic and his buddies being worfed: I had a far better experience with them on the Genesis where anything seemed to have been possible.

• 1 year later...