New Games/Video Gaming News

1 hour ago, Mike Arcade said:

This came out over a week ago, had it pre-ordered and with the recent bug fixes going on the game is just getting better and better. It was made by a group of fans who got the permission and support of the original creators to make it an official sequel to the Localized US Version of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari, River City Ransom. It's really fun and can be played online with friends to go through the Story Mode or duke it out in Arena Mode where you can also play as the enemies and bosses of the game as well! So yeah if you love Beat em' Ups with RPG Elements that you can play with friends this is the one to get, it's one of the best beat em ups in recent years so I'd say check it out guys.

Hmm, you know I have talked about making a Fighter/Beat em' Up Topic in the past, should probably get on that.

Have to say, I love that classic 90's "nothing to do with the actual game" game cover. So much better than some random guy with a gun.

Just now, WarTraveller said:

Have to say, I love that classic 90's "nothing to do with the actual game" game cover. So much better than some random guy with a gun.

Even though the cover of this game has all the main playable characters of Story Mode. XP

But yeah I know what you mean, I can't get enough of these sort of games really.

2 minutes ago, Mike Arcade said:

Even though the cover of this game has all the main playable characters of Story Mode. XP

But yeah I know what you mean, I can't get enough of these sort of games really.

Well you know, like the old game covers that...exaggerated how the game looks. Again, I much prefer them to modern game cases, which just feel like extra marketing.

"Here's a man, he's got a gun, our charts say that 14 year old boys like men with guns, so they'll buy our game!" - every video game exec, ever.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Prince By-Tor said:

I'm unsurprised that nintendo's awful sales practices killed it, I mean i had little desire for it in the first place cause it was the most unnobtainable pong console of all time, and I'm not really huge nintendo fan to begin with either, but its a shame to see this happen for those who wanted it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Either Pokemon is going to the Switch full time or waiting for the 3DS successor.

Personally think it's the latter. 3DS is nearly 7 years old so it's cycle is about to end. Plus in Sun & Moon it had some noticeable frame-rate and performance issues

• 2 weeks later...

after almost three years halo fans finally get the answer to what went wrong with the mcc... only because they want to sell the xbox 0n3-X.

link to the thread I was shown: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451175

at this point I'm not even mad anymore. since halo 4, 343! has continued to isolate themselves in a hugbox and cut-out the longstanding playerbase in leiu of legacy building. when halo 6 rolls around i'm actually expecting it to be a multimillion dollar flop thanks to their own arrogance and microsofts hubris, which is sad as they actually did do a ton of things right amongst the bad.

3 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

So I completely forgot about this game actually existing, and it came out on Halloween with this trailer. I still can't believe this is real. @_@

Want to know the crazy thing about this game, it actually looks pretty decent...I know I'm scared too...

I might get it, maybe, probably, definitely.

17 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Vanilla WoW is back

Because consumers demanded it. Why spend resources fighting pirates when you can give them what they want, make it better than the crude emulation of your product, and make a profit? It’s why the theater will always exists in some regard. Because no one but a rube wants to watch their favorite blockbuster alone on an iPad at to 240p with Chinese subtitles. xD 

1 hour ago, TheRedStranger said:

Because consumers demanded it. Why spend resources fighting pirates when you can give them what they want, make it better than the crude emulation of your product, and make a profit? It’s why the theater will always exists in some regard. Because no one but a rube wants to watch their favorite blockbuster alone on an iPad at to 240p with Chinese subtitles. xD 

Remember, people didnt think 2007scape would last...

It has more players than RS3 right now (though MTX has hurt RS3)

On 11/4/2017 at 6:21 AM, WarTraveller said:

Apparently it's pretty bad. What a shock. 

the biggest part of the negativity I've seen has been the price to content ratio: too expensive for what is actually there. 

also its freakin bubsy, who in their right minds thought he would be a money making machine? meme machine maybe but money? no.

• 1 month later...

If it's the title, Shadows Die Twice is an intriguing title to me. A bit like No Man's Sky, where the title is near gibberish and yet...it sounds so meaningful. Kind of sounds like a title I'd use.

I'm not really impressed with the teaser, though. It looks like a bone, from what I can see. In fact, all of the teasers from that show were a bit weak.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the teasers are weak, but I know how From likes to troll the fanbase. Castielle over at Extra Life pointed out the following:

There are no recent trademark filings by From Software, Sony Computer Entertainment America or Bandai Namco of a mysterious nature. Also no mention of Sony Japan Studio on the teaser.

Yup. No mention of Sony Japan Studio, so it's probably not a sequel to Bloodborne IMO.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

For the sake of civility and sanity, people are innocent until proven guilty. That being said, it is horrible to hear the remotest possibility of a child being hurt in such a wretched way and I do hope, if this is proven to be true, that he gets the fullest punishment possible. Why we don’t put child-predators to the front of the Capital Punishment line is beyond me. @Prince By-Tor This guy lives in your state, do you know what the charges could be and how things could go down in your Justice system?

If he indeed did this it will be a major shock to an already widely considered troubled aspect of the gaming community, whether they deserve it or not. In this revivrd craze of predatory anti-gaming activism akin to the early 90’s, an inquisitory SJWism, The FPS genre already has enough Dylan Clebolds to leverage, it does not need any Harvey Wienstines.

So looking over some of GTA Online's recent updates, I cant help but feel like some of these updates were meant for single player, especially the Doomsday Heist. Considering that Online is set before GTA V proper, it's odd that the events that happen aren't talked about as much in the main game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawaii has introduced a bill to the state legislature that would regulate Loot Boxes in games.

Key points include:

• would prohibit sales of loot box games to consumers younger than 21 years old. The legislation defines the loot boxes as a randomized in-game reward that can be bought for real money, whether or not the rewards are either cosmetic/non competitive or competitive
  • would require video game publishers to label their games with notices that they contain loot boxes
  • disclose what the rates are of receiving each reward in their system.

However; Heavy points out multiple flaws and shortcomings of this bill

The argument they bring up is that it punishes retailers and clerks, not game companies.

• The bill mentions the notion that game companies can add ‘predatory’ content to games via updates and content patches but makes no attempt to make that illegal
  • The bill makes no mention of an exception for free-to-play games on PC, Consoles, or Mobile – in fact making only the *sale* of games with loot boxes illegal, *not* making it illegal for minors to access them once they have the game; meaning kids who still need their mom to purchase a game like Shadow of War, can still hop in and purchase loot boxes once they own it; and game developers can sell them, because the bill also makes no mention of age-restrictive tools.
  • Also ignores online retailers such as Steam, PSN, XBLMP

Yeah, I...kind of expected the bills made to be ineffective. It should be a simple one: make it illegal to add loot boxes to games that cost money to play, and add an age verification system (credit card or drivers license). If a game containing these things is made to cost money after release, fine them for false advertising. 

Or, even better, outlaw them entirely. 

Well take a look at Overwatch. Their boxes are just for cosmetics such as sprays, taunts, skins, and PoG intros. They dont affect gameplay at all. You can buy them yes but you could also buy credits just to get that skin or intro you want. I think Blizzard is doing it right in that regard.

There's a way to do them right, there's a way to do them wrong, then there's EA

1 hour ago, Wulfsbane said:

Their boxes are just for cosmetics such as sprays, taunts, skins, and PoG intros. They dont affect gameplay at all.

With all due respect, that's not so. There's a reason "skin economies" are exploding at the moment. People like to show off and look their best in multiplayer games. Games like PAYDAY 2, CS:GO, Killing Floor 2, TF2 and more, people want to look good. So while cosmetics don't affect technical gameplay, they do affect the emotional, psyhological side of it. I dread to think how much I've spent on PAYDAY 2 and TF2 specifically, and on skins alone. Like I bought a key and got a nice hat for Heavy...but then I just kept going, "Oooh, I bet I could get a nice cosmetic for Scout", or "Man, my Pyro build REALLY needs an interesting zing to it, you know?" Even now I'm trying to get a good cosmetic for my Soldier loadout...I'm thinking the Mann in Slacks. Maybe the Flashdance Footies.

Don't get me wrong, of course, Overwatch does it better than other examples - if only for refunding copies of items for currency and letting you just buy the item you want outright. You can SORT of do that in TF2, but you have to do it though a trading website like Scrap.TF and while I've had no problems from that site, I know some people would find it extremely dodgy. Then there's getting into when Blizzard mangled the win rates and rules for certain cosmetics to make them more desierable, to the point it did kind of look a little...exploitative to me. Also the fact that sprays and voice lines are way more common than the skins people actually want...ironically, a problem TF2 doesn't have. In fact, TF2 lets you make your own spray! Well...for now, at least.

Thankfully the Steam Marketplace has made the lower-tier cosmetics uber-cheap, but if you want anything above that? Hoo boy. Some people REALLY overestimate how much people are willing to shell out for a skin...and the scary thing is, some people do. Remember that old CS:GO meme of the $1000 knife? That actually happens. And people have spent MORE;

https://www.pcgamer.com/csgo-dragon-lore-awp-skin-sells-for-more-than-61000/

So, yeah. Cosmetics DO have an effect on gameplay, just not on the gameplay itself. EA's problems were two-fold; they made the lootboxes have genuine (and major) in-game advantages over other players, and they were NOT subtle about it. In-fact, there's rumours that Disney is preparing to rip the Star Wars license away from EA! ...And give it to Activision. Now that's a bit like yanking your hand out of a fire and then sticking your head in instead, isn't it?

19 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

There's a way to do them right, there's a way to do them wrong, then there's EA

That statement made me LOL; it's funny cuz it's true.

*points @ Star Wars Battlefront 2 and labels it "Exhibit A"*

{edit: I just did a search on "EA Games + lawsuits" and saw a bunch of stuff I had forgotten about, such as 3 lawsuits over Battlefront 4 *gets labelled "Exhibit B"* There's a reason EA is repeatedly voted the worst company in America}

• 2 weeks later...