Things about Saturday Morning Cartoons you remember

7 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

My Saturdays were...urgh, Sonic Underground and Sonic X.

Tough break.. :/

---

I remember being excited with Sonic X coming out and then having my hopes dashed against the rocks when I got Chris X instead. 

My Saturday Morning Cartoons were stuff on the 90's Toonami and a lot on Cartoon Network. I did see some of the Disney and Nicktoon material but CN had a moderately bigger influence. I am quicker to recall instances from Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Power Puffgirls and Courage the Cowardly Dog than Duck Tales, Doug, Hey Arnold, and Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers. My favorite cartoons were usually the heaviest though. I loved Courage because of its creepy yet quirky material. Batman the animated series because it was darker and entertained more subject matter than other cartoons gave us. Same goes with the Justice League and Batman Beyond. I still today think Mask of The Phantasm is the best Batman movie ever made (though Killing Joke might take that honor soon). Satam came later in my life and took rival spot with Batman.

2 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

Tough break.. :/

---

I remember being excited with Sonic X coming out and then having my hopes dashed against the rocks when I got Chris X instead. 

My Saturday Morning Cartoons were stuff on the 90's Toonami and a lot on Cartoon Network. I did see some of the Disney and Nicktoon material but CN had a moderately bigger influence. I am quicker to recall instances from Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Power Puffgirls and Courage the Cowardly Dog than Duck Tales, Doug, Hey Arnold, and Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers. My favorite cartoons were usually the heaviest though. I loved Courage because of its creepy yet quirky material. Batman the animated series because it was darker and entertained more subject matter than other cartoons gave us. Same goes with the Justice League and Batman Beyond. I still today think Mask of The Phantasm is the best Batman movie ever made (though Killing Joke might take that honor soon). Satam came later in my life and took rival spot with Batman.

I'm gonna be fair; I'm not exactly the biggest fan of my childhood. Pretty much all of my family relations got put through the wringer, I generally acted like a fool and I had to watch these shows. Underground I look back on with a good deal of nostalgia, but I'll happily admit the show is terrible, while Sonic X is beyond comprehension. I wanted to see a SONIC anime, Sonic X! Not Chris X or Cosmo the Magical Talking Vegetable X! ESPECIALLY not the latter! No idea how it works compared to Boom, apart from THIS (best to worst);

1. SATAM
  2. AOSTH
  3. Underground
  4. Boom
  5. X

It's annoying, 'cause I think a Sonic anime COULD work! But with SEGA's borderline draconian "mandates", that's...pretty much never going to happen. Which is a shame. Especially since I think most modern kid's shows are, frankly, appalling apart from a very select few.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Prince By-Tor said:

So, what are some of your nostalgic memories of Saturday Mornings/Afternoon cartoons? Please post.

Though I did love a lot of lighthearted material, my stuff was bit more...gritty... in general. My dad was an adult comic book fan and we watched Batman a lot together. I have always had a taste for the more serious and heavy cartoons (one reason I love Satam). I really loved this one when I was little. 

On August 13, 2016 at 0:38 AM, Wulfsbane said:

I just remember watching cartoons such as Spongebob (pre-movie), Fairly Odd Parents, Ed Edd & Eddy as examples.

Then there was Pokemon. The original trio (Ash, Brock & Misty) was the best

I always thought the voice acting was horrible in Pokemon. Even when I was a child I did not feel like it was a genuine dialogue both in writing and in execution. It sounded like hammy kabuki acting forced into American-English, a language from a culture that "screams in whispers" compared to the Japanese acting. There was lot of melodramatic reactions. Many times I was stopped in my tracks wondering why people were screaming like it was a normal thing of everyday life. The dialogue was actually distracting from the narrative. 

When it came to voice acting - what were your likes and dislikes? 

• 6 months later...

I'll always remember the "Catillac" from the "Catillac Cats" segments of the Heathcliff cartoon. I loved the idea of a shape-shifting jalopy that could turn into a camper and an airboat/hovercraft (in at least one episode it flies), and even modified to turn into a submarine. In related news, yesterday, I found the complete Heathcliff series on DVD at Wal-Mart. So, now I can relive and refresh my memories. B|

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Mine would have to be a LOT of Fox Kids back in the day with a few moments of the Fox Box/4Kids which besides TMNT I tuned out of completely. I mean Ultimate Muscle was awesome though along with TMNT natually but One Piece's dub at the time was...yeah not great. Of course there was Sonic X which by the time they reached Sonic Adventure I did not care anymore. Although talking about Sonic X is a whole other topic for another day. I mean my Friday Nights was mainly Cartoon Cartoons on Cartoon Network with Nick every now and then. Of course way back then before Adult Swim was Toonami on Saturdays which was excellent, then came Adult Swim as well that added to my Saturdays once Toonami waned down,

Of course I did tune in to Kids WB sometimes with Jackie Chan Adventures, honestly I could go on. If there was a return of an 90's cartoon from 91' to 99' and beyond I saw. I basically saw everything except Mighty Mouse as that was before my time.

• 4 years later...

I remember watching this when it was on TV...

‘Excuuuuse me, Princess!’: An oral history of The Legend of Zelda cartoon [Polygon]

The world knows The Legend of Zelda’s Link as the brave hero of Hyrule — a young warrior of few words. Link is a master with his bow and an excellent swordsman. But back in 1989, when The Legend of Zelda cartoon first aired, all Link wanted was a smooch. A kiss from Zelda, to be exact — but he’s not exactly picky, and unlike the laconic hero of the games, he would not shut up about it. The hero of Hyrule is still tasked with defending the Triforce of Wisdom from Ganon’s grasp on the TV show, but that’s secondary to his insistence on a little kiss. The show’s bizarre portrayal of Link — especially his constant begging of “Excuse me, Princess!” — has made The Legend of Zelda cartoon a hilarious head-scratcher to this day.

Back in 1989, The Legend of Zelda aired in 15-minute episodes every Friday during The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, a mix of live-action and animated segments based on Nintendo games. Once a week, The Legend of Zelda replaced the Super Mario Bros. show, which featured animated segments of Mario and Luigi but, more memorably, the wacky, iconic live-action performances of WWF wrestler Lou Albano as Mario and The Jeffersons’ Danny Wells as Luigi, who welcomed fans of the show with the catchphrase, “Hey there, paisanos.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoKat said:

I remember watching this when it was on TV...

‘Excuuuuse me, Princess!’: An oral history of The Legend of Zelda cartoon [Polygon]

I never saw much of the Zelda Cartoon until online years later, I did see the odd Super Mario Show here and there. Although regarding those cartoons, the one I saw the most outside of the Blue Blur, was the Blue Bomber. As in, Mega Man.

I watched quite a good amount of it back in the day, although a lot of the episodes could get rather bizarre. The best episodes of that show were the first episode being an origin story, and a brief glimpse into the future with Mega Man X. Very much episodes that stuck with me being a fan of Mega Man at that time. XP

Still, AoSTH and Underground were the main shows I watched video game adaption wise, as SatAM had very rare showings that I never saw. If I did, it must have been when I was too little to remember.