What Would You Do Differently: Sonic the Comic

Mike Arcade

Welcome to the long needed WWYDD of Sonic the Comic! Where we ask what exactly it says on the title, how would you handle certain things in UK's Sonic Comic, so even if you're familiar with it or not let's see how this all goes Boomers. ;) 

Coming from The Red Stranger he asks this, How would you handle this Psychotic Incarnation of Super Sonic?

I haven't read much of Fleetway comics, but when I stumble across fans, I usually end up seeing a reference to the Fleetway Super Sonic.  The one time I did see it in a story was its first appearance (he was stuck fighting a badnick in the Oil Ocean Zone) and it looked like he turned super without the usage of chaos emeralds.  Is this true of the Super Sonic in Fleetway?

Having grown up seeing the super form being a beneficial power-up, I am not sure what to think of Fleetway's version.  It does add a classic Jeykell/Hyde twist to Sonic, but I think that aspect could be handled better without needing the super form.  Sonic has always been seen being in full control whenever he is in his super form and I think Fleetway's version kind of messes with an important aspect of Sonic that I see in the other media: no matter how reckless and arrogant he maybe, Sonic usually is responsible with his powers and wouldn't try losing his self-control on account of not wanting to hurt innocents.  His speed itself is a devasting weapon if he left it uncontrolled: his super form would be catastraphic to anybody if he had no control of his mind when dealing with all that power.  As much as I am not a fan of the newer modern Sonic, I do like more of the idea that Sonic does have a pure heart and he doesn't try to let anything try to corrupt it (remember Sonic Unleashed when Light Gaia was talking about Sonic's Werehog form).

• 5 months later...
On 12/30/2016 at 0:11 AM, Mike Arcade said:

How would you handle this Psychotic Incarnation of Super Sonic?

Dark. Surreal. Haunting. A manifestation when Sonic bending, reeling, and about to break... And make sure he is indeed Sonic and not a separate entity. That ruins the effect. I beloved STC butchered its prize albino calf, its rarity and Stand-out difference in the Sonic canons irrationally squandered. The Ebony & Psycho junk is...well jumping a whole corny sea of cheese-coated sharks.

Original Sin gets the better of us all; it should exsist therefor in our heros for them to be truly relatable. I personally love heros that deal with internal conflict and are not white knights. We have moral and psychological flaws and we have to deal with them. Psycho is when the abyss stares back... If I wrote psycho he not be merely a omincidal manic; he would be the ID of Sonic, the unfettered desire for freedom within him spoiled, curdled like old moldy milk. It would be not merely his negative thoughts and behaviors incarnated; it would be his good aspects and values taken to idolatrous extremes. For example it would be far more interesting to see Psycho try and kill Hamlin for incompetence or perhaps betrayal. Yet it would be interesting to see him also see him be overprotective and controlling of someone he loves in real life, forcing them out of the fight. Take good aspects and make them destructive as well. 

In one aspect he would be like the Joker in Arkham Knight to a cracking but defiant Batman. He would waltz around in his conscious during times of deep emotional distrubence (think Archie's Endgame) and always try and take over, invert Sonic morally inside out. 

"I just wanted you to see the world as I see it...giggling in the corner and bleeding..."

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:03 PM, Mike Arcade said:

Okay this topic needs a LOT more love around here so let's kickstart it with two characters usually tied together by fans. Also because the latter created the Cybernik armor as well...

How would you handle Shortfuse the Cybernik and Tekno the Canary?

Like to tackle Shortfuse. Let’s address Shortfuse’s major issues in STC. What really holds him back? There is one obvious thing.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2019 at 2:18 PM, TheRedStranger said:

Like to tackle Shortfuse. Let’s address Shortfuse’s major issues in STC. What really holds him back? There is one obvious thing.

What held Shortfuse back regarding fans in STC (at least my interpretation of him) was that he came off as annoying due to always shouting out his origin and motivation. Although regarding his character, what held him back was being very reckless and aggressive regarding his revenge on Robotnik for trapping him in the Cybernik Armor. As in, Shortfuse got kicked out of the Freedom Fighters for being too reckless. Unless it's something else I'm probably not thinking of.