Sonic Forces

Sonic Forces is the confirmed name for Project Sonic 2017.

At the SXSW Sonic Panel, the future of Sonic the Hedgehog was made a little bit clearer. Today, it was announced that Project Sonic 2017 will be called Sonic Forces. Forces is still on target to be released by Christmas time this year with some projections being before the Holiday shopping season.

SEGA unveiled new information today during the panel, however some key parts were awknowledged. The story goes that Sonic was apparently defeated and Dr. Eggman emerged victorious. After this, the panel did not reveal much. As the name suggests, one of the game’s key features will have a focus on ‘forces.’ The ‘forces’ of good led by Sonic and perhaps others will be battling for control against Eggman and his armies. There will be a focus on power of said forces as well. The panel suggested that Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Amy will be involved in the game. Others such as Blaze, Silver, and Omega could be in the game as well but there’s no confirmation yet of any of Sonic’s friends just yet. Once again, the Freedom Fighters appear to be longshots.

The gameplay will be an “evolution of Colors and Generations” with some concepts that have yet to be revealed. Aaron Webber & Iizuka-san have confirmed that three unique gameplay styles in the game. Modern Sonic will be one, Classic Sonic will be the second, and the third style was not revealed. The game, which runs on the new "Hedgehog 2" Engine, features notably improved visuals over previous Sonic titles, with the developers pointing out advances in lighting, reflections, and overall clarity.

Modern Sonic’s stages have borrowed heavily from Sonic’s predecessors , notably Unleashed and Generations. Boost and spin-dash usage are the same as they were before. The Boost Wisp seems to have something to do with Sonic’s boost abilities in this game. High speed will be one of the key features, but platforming will be involved as well. There will be plenty of routes to get to the goal, so exploring is encouraged.

The main theme was revealed, abet an instrumental version of the song. The musical stylings felt similar to those of Crush 40 so it’s possible that they have returned to the series for the first time since Generations. It has been revealed that Jun Senoue will not be returning for Sonic Forces

Forces have been confirmed to be on PC, Xbox One, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch.

17361824_10155097601642418_5207492509376

Credit: @Sorzo and @TheRedStranger for edits.

Edited by Wulfsbane
Updated information. Will update accordingly
  • Like 1

In other news; I'm now made of seasalt.

seriously, this:

58cb5ed23dffc_EverybodyHatesCream.png.d6006cac742fad6999ecdbe00712f1ba.png

is almost becoming a meme at this point.

(I'm actually still looking forward to this game, as like mania it's sounding more interesting every time I hear about it. am I dissapointed that shadows taking precedence over the actual fifth main? of course I am, but it's not going to ruin my opinion of the actual GAME if it is at its core an enjoyable experience.)

UPDATE:

According to BlueParadox (who is a reliable source), in an interview that will appear in GameInformer between SEGA and the publication, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, the Chatoix will appear in the game. Knuckles, Amy and the Chaotix have been confirmed to be non-playable but nothing has been said about Tails. Paradox also found out that Dr. Eggman has already won and has taken over the world, how much was taken over was not revealed. And finally, 2D Side-scrolling sections will be back in the game as well.

END UPDATE.

Interesting to see the games finally try out the SatAM/Archie/Fleetway approach of Eggman already having taken over most if not all of the world. I think it's a safe assumption they will go the Fleetway route and have Sonic sent to the near future, allowing Eggman to take control of the planet in his absence.

Given the militaristic logo, I'm pondering if this means that the rest of the cast have design updates to reflect a presumably bleaker world.

Also. Delicious, delicious in development gameplay footage, now in high quality.

...the air raid siren in the background has the potential to make this very creepy.

You know, looking at the background a bit closer, it looks like a city of sorts was built near Green Hill.

To be honest, I really hope they dont go with a time travel route. It would be better if Sonic fell for a distraction/diversion a time or two that would allow Eggman to take over parts of the world.

The air raid siren does give it that dark ambiance

30 minutes ago, Wulfsbane said:

You know, looking at the background a bit closer, it looks like a city of sorts was built near Green Hill.

I'm pretty interested to see if this is a plot point in some way. For all we know, maybe the whole cast got thrown into the future, which would explain how absolutely doomed the world was.

30 minutes ago, Wulfsbane said:

To be honest, I really hope they dont go with a time travel route. It would be better if Sonic fell for a distraction/diversion a time or two that would allow Eggman to take over parts of the world.

I'm mostly assuming time travel due to the inclusion of Classic Sonic. The game is billed as not being a sequel to Generations, but I'm sure there will be a lot of overlap.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/04/morio-kishimoto-is-directing-sonic-forces-no-boom-sonic-will-be-at-e3/

Sonic Forces will indeed be at E3 2017 this year, Classic Sonic will indeed be playable "with a twist", and Boom Sonic won't be the 3rd Character.

The story of Sonic Forces goes as such with Eggman taken over 99% of the planet, and with the power that has allowed him to do so also brought along Classic Sonic, this 3rd Character will apparently be revealed during E3 this year as well, if any more info comes out we'll let you know guys. Any thoughts?

Already people are spamming the idea that the silhouette looks like this poor fella:

Bubsy01.jpg.1a4e5607681b4a775ba5dcd646afe7b1.jpg

Personally however, thanks to the colour corrected image wulfsbane posted, I think they look more like this:

Gaomon_b.jpg.22d19d326192a5700e0635617487408c.jpg

So in short: new character is more floofy doge with headband.

20 hours ago, Ishapar said:

I am thinking more that it is another new Sega character or maybe a connecting character from the comics.

Funny if it was Antoine...

That would be hilarious!  Hmm, the mystery figure seems to be wearing gloves & shoes...

So here's some new info from a Famitsu article a few days ago.

• The third character in Forces will be an “unexpected character”. Sonic Boom Sonic is NOT in the game. However, the third character “plays an important role in the story, and embodies the overall features of the game”.
  • “The boost system from Sonic Unleashed is present, as well as stages based on reaching the goal and clearing them a certain time limit also seem to be present.”
  • “Classic Sonic stages are based on side scrolling 2D action.” Apparently, they will also have a twist.
  • Sonic Forces will be at E3 this year. We are told that E3 will be where the third character will be revealed.
  • Sonic Forces’ story summary from the magazine: “Dr. Eggman took over 99% of the world. Sonic and the “Resistance” members are fighting. Then another Sonic appears…” It then talks about Classic Sonic appearing, Classic and Modern being two different style, and then there being a third one. The reason why Eggman takes over so much of the world is because of “a new power” that his obtains, resulting in his army controlling that much of the world. However, this power is also what makes Classic Sonic appear.
  • Morio Kishimoto is the director of Sonic Forces. He designed Secret Rings and Black Knight. He also directed Sonic Lost World and the Wii version of Sonic Colors.
  • Sonic Forces has been in development since 2013, and started around Sonic Lost World’s release.
  • “Forces was chosen as a subtitle from it meaning “power” and “army”. Two strong forces (Sonic and co vs. Eggman) are facing off in the game.”
  • “This time, Sonic is fighting an Eggman who has nearly taken over the world.”
  • 2017, with the release of Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania, is a “continuation” of Sonic’s 25th anniversary.
  • The game won’t be all dark and gloomy. There are some lighter stages in Forces.
  • Sonic Mania’s development began in 2015. Sonic Team wanted to do a new 2D Sonic game and “not a remake”. (Context compared to Forces)
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

So here's some new info from a Famitsu article a few days ago.

• The third character in Forces will be an “unexpected character”. Sonic Boom Sonic is NOT in the game. However, the third character “plays an important role in the story, and embodies the overall features of the game”.
  • “The boost system from Sonic Unleashed is present, as well as stages based on reaching the goal and clearing them a certain time limit also seem to be present.”
  • “Classic Sonic stages are based on side scrolling 2D action.” Apparently, they will also have a twist.
  • Sonic Forces will be at E3 this year. We are told that E3 will be where the third character will be revealed.
  • Sonic Forces’ story summary from the magazine: “Dr. Eggman took over 99% of the world. Sonic and the “Resistance” members are fighting. Then another Sonic appears…” It then talks about Classic Sonic appearing, Classic and Modern being two different style, and then there being a third one. The reason why Eggman takes over so much of the world is because of “a new power” that his obtains, resulting in his army controlling that much of the world. However, this power is also what makes Classic Sonic appear.
  • Morio Kishimoto is the director of Sonic Forces. He designed Secret Rings and Black Knight. He also directed Sonic Lost World and the Wii version of Sonic Colors.
  • Sonic Forces has been in development since 2013, and started around Sonic Lost World’s release.
  • “Forces was chosen as a subtitle from it meaning “power” and “army”. Two strong forces (Sonic and co vs. Eggman) are facing off in the game.”
  • “This time, Sonic is fighting an Eggman who has nearly taken over the world.”
  • 2017, with the release of Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania, is a “continuation” of Sonic’s 25th anniversary.
  • The game won’t be all dark and gloomy. There are some lighter stages in Forces.
  • Sonic Mania’s development began in 2015. Sonic Team wanted to do a new 2D Sonic game and “not a remake”. (Context compared to Forces)

interesting points they got, but im concerned about morio kishamoto being the director. i wasn't a particular fan of the games he's worked on, as they felt more like spinoff's and expiriments than anything else, but its also because it feels like their more or less sega's development B-team. aside from that i'm interested to see how its launch goes.

3 hours ago, F07E said:

interesting points they got, but im concerned about morio kishamoto being the director. i wasn't a particular fan of the games he's worked on, as they felt more like spinoff's and expiriments than anything else, but its also because it feels like their more or less sega's development B-team. aside from that i'm interested to see how its launch goes.

To be fair they HAVE been developing this game since after Lost Worlds, that's about 4 years of development so they really aren't messing around, how that goes though we'll see what happens. Although I do hope they are keeping the context of Generations in mind with Classic Sonic being Sonic from the Past rather then from a separate world.

21 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

"Hero like action of Sonic and the resistance members?"

Hmmm...You don't think they would add the FF in do you?

That's one of the intriguing parts, and also the worrying ones as how will they be portrayed, which iteration will they use and what design will mark their first appearance if so. This IS sega after all, and the bare minimum of research and vocal minorities tend to force them to do pretty dumb things.

4 hours ago, F07E said:

That's one of the intriguing parts, and also the worrying ones as how will they be portrayed, which iteration will they use and what design will mark their first appearance if so. This IS sega after all, and the bare minimum of research and vocal minorities tend to force them to do pretty dumb things.

Wouldnt the vocal minority be the ones who want the FF to return to their SatAM forms?

2 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Wouldnt the vocal minority be the ones who want the FF to return to their SatAM forms?

I meant In the sense that sega only listen to people talk about the dark stuff that made the show interesting, and forget that the show also had its lighthearted moments as well that offset the darker tones and emphasized the characters interactions, and wildly miss how and why the show was so good in the first place. Sega has wildly missed the point plenty of times back in the day starting from adventure onwards, and then overshoot on trying to regain the favor of fans. (and if it comes down to satam vs archie, I know they'll go most recent even though they're not the same series and satam had better characterization all around.)

• 4 weeks later...

The third play-style is..... YOU

From Destructoid:

As shown in the reveal trailer that's embedded above, these new hero characters can be customized from head to toe. Upper headgear, middle headgear, lower headgear, gloves, footwear, body, bodysuit, and skin color are the categories that we're shown in the video. Although the details can be tweaked, the characters have to be one of seven pre-chosen animals. They are (with their special abilities):

Wolf -- Automatically draws in rings when near them

Rabbit -- Has longer invincible time after receiving damage

Cat -- Keeps one ring after being hit

Dog -- Restarts with five rings after the player dies

Bear -- Blows away enemies with a homing attack

Bird -- Flies high with double jump abilities

Hedgehog -- Collects rings when getting damaged

In addition to their abilities, these heroes also have "wispons" which are essentially unique gadgets that help make up for the fact that they aren't Sonic. Sega calls them "an evolution of the Color Powers from Sonic Colors." The customizable characters are also equipped with a grappling hook. We took a trip to Sega's offices earlier this year and played as a red wolf with a flamethrower.

• Like 1

Well I gotta say, it's going to be a very interesting play style, although I'd say the Custom Character themselves are going to be a blank slate you can control though it looks pretty fun. I do wonder what other "Wispons" we'll be able to use and if there will be other playable Mobians we can unlock or select, I'd go with Skeleton Dog from Sonic Adventure 2. XP

With E3 coming soon we'll probably get more details then.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:08 PM, Prince By-Tor said:

Whelp... another game another game without the FF. Although I do like the ability to create your own furry, even if it is limited. I might get it if they add a squirrel or a fox to it, but I'll wait for a used copy.

In theory you could still make Bunnie