IDW Sonic Comic: Reveal, Pre-Release, & General News

Wulfsbane

I gotta say, I find it really disappointing having those characters not making an appearance in the new comic. Considering how brief most of their tenure was it might just be me but a bunch of those characters had some good potential if only they weren't bogged down by their limited Post-SGW Continuity. I mean I know a lot of them don't have a lot of fans but most of them had some decent designs (and weren't Echidna clones XP). While not obviously as Iconic as say the Freedom Fighters or the handful of characters introduced by Penders and other writers before Flynn it's such a shame not to have them get a new life in the new comic. Seems like just a waste to throw them out, but perhaps some fans out there can give them a new home in some sort of way.

I saw that they have some good potential and that they shouldn't be gone and forgotten, call me over sentimental if you may though it's still a darn shame. 

• Like 2

Like I said, I was expecting SEGA to do so; as in, not allow the Archie characters into the new comic. It's just what they do. Granted some like Elise make sense as to why they won't reappear, same with Lyric and Boom Sonic for some. But most of the time, should a character displease them, they WILL bury them and pretend they ever existed. Take Shade, for example.  Penders does not own her, they could use her if they wanted to. But because Penders kicked up such a stink about it, SEGA doesn't want to use her again. Why reuse characters people kind of like when you could just parade Classic Sonic into the spotlight? Again?

As for the Freedom Fighters and Archie characters in general...well, they were collectively part of a massive lawsuit that rebooted and ultimately destroyed something so long-running. It was a disastrous and slow death. I think it's clear that SEGA didn't really care all that much about the FF when they WERE a thing and now that their main adventures are dead they want nothing to do with them anymore. They either want to start again or just make the IDW stuff a comic version of the video games. Which, frankly, is the dumbest thing they could do. So, of course, they'll do it!

As for the future of the FF, well, Archie Sonic Online is a thing and we on the Free Scribes of Mobius can surely find a home for them in our own works. I personally don't care much for them as I 'm more for creating stories with my own characters, but I know plenty of people on this site who would give them a new life here.

Edited by WarTraveller
I've mentioned this not turning up in Activities before. My bad.

It's that familiarity which can rope the old readers that Archie had and bring in new ones that didn't necessarily like the Archie books but do enjoy the art work by these artists. 

This is a decent strategy.  

Oh and amazon advertised the first release in September 28, 2018. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Prince By-Tor said:

Tails is obviously the one holding Sonic's hand. Probably Knuckles, Amy, Rouge, Cream etc will come afterwards. We already see that Robotnik will be omitted with the Eggman effigy in the background; I wish they'd just announce it one way or the other concerning the SoA characters.

Same I'll be saddened that they will not be with IDW but I'm optimistic as they will remain with us fans. 

10 minutes ago, Akessel92 said:

Same I'll be saddened that they will not be with IDW but I'm optimistic as they will remain with us fans. 

I'm expecting them to not have them other than perhaps cameos, Easter eggs, and/or background characters at best, but I'm hoping for the best. We're just going to have to wait and see; I feel strung-along to be honest.

But yes, we will have them as fans if we don't let them die.

11 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Teaser could be Sally, it does kinda match her cheek fur

Emphasis on could be. The hand however I do not recognize as any previous iteration of Sally. But the artwork is Evan Stanley's as I know that dark eye lining and character line work nowhere else. 

I doubt the image is Tails... cause we all know he's gonna be there and has been announced.

The Hand could be jumbled a bit to throw people off base and let speculation run. Looking at it closer it feels the image itself is zoomed in and made to appear that way on purpose

I just don't see Sally in that image unless they put a bow on her head and gave her spines on her knuckles.... I guess we'll have to see on Wednesday.

Maybe I'm wrong; the only thing I can think of is those "spines" are fingers or a thumb and perhaps whoever that is is moving fast and thus in a "squash and stretch" situation.

For some reason, in my mind, I keep coming back to this character when I see that image; almost everything seems to fit that shadowed image.

500px-Blaze_The_Cat_Tails19950.png

• Like 1

I'm gonna go with a new character, at first I thought it looked like an Avian girl though looks like someone is holding Sonic's hand with two hands. I mean it could be a redesigned Sally as it looks nothing like any of her designs. Until we really know we'll see, but it could very well be a new character.

• Like 1

If it's a new character, okay fine. No big issue since it's been said that there will be new characters.

But keeping the fate of the FF in limbo for this long is aggravating some fans. It's becoming like the Dragons in Game of Thrones ("They're Coming!")

• Like 1

Honestly, I’m holding a glimmer of hope it is Sal, I really do it’s her, but I’m getting the feeling they are doing a full reset and this is a new character or maybe the avatar from Forces. I think the best shot if you want them in the comic is to not buy it if they are not in it and be loud. They might be forced to do so, but don’t expect them to be the characters we know and love. However, I hope that I’m wrong, I really do. This coming from the person constantly called “The Negative Nelly” by my comrades since this debacle stared.

That all being said, we need to not eat Sega’s scraps; the characters will exist with us no matter what.

• Like 1

It's not a bad design. I'll be curious how she goes forward

37 minutes ago, Akessel92 said:

I'm not impressed. And now the freedom fighters have now joined Mighty at the bar. 

They havent confirmed that yet. They still have yet to say if the FF are returning or not

16 minutes ago, Wulfsbane said:

They havent confirmed that yet. They still have yet to say if the FF are returning or not

Not holding my breath. Oh and the second issue cover is up. 

IMG_0177.PNG

Curious about the characters in the background or are they just extras. 

• Like 1

Again, they would have said something by now. Combing over the Facebook group, twiiter, reddit, etc. shows that there's quite a few fans riding on the notion that they're gonna be there and if not they're not gonna get a subscription.

Just remember: this was in the prequel comic for Forces:

DUTqxvPWkAAtYlE.jpg:large

And it appears the first arc continues the story

• Like 1

Tangle huh, I don't know why but I think that name is hilarious. :D

Just give her a few months and she'll have her own fans in no time, I gotta say it's a pretty good design with a nice color scheme. I'll say this it looks a LOT better than the Post-Reboot design of Sally that's for sure. Apparently she can grab things with her Tail, which for those who don't know could be a loose reference to the Rabbit design when they were coming up for Sonic's first game, whose gameplay which involved grabbing enemies and items concept that was later used for the game Ristar.

I'm not disappointed because I knew it was gonna be a new character, I just got the species wrong because let's face it no one would have guessed Sonic was holding a Tail. I'm sure she'll be fine with how IDW is gonna handle her and I don't mind new characters but what I don't like about all this teasing is regarding the fate of the Freedom Fighters.

If they want to have a completely different take outside of them fine, it won't be what a lot of fans will buy because of that but I could respect that. What I don't respect is this radio silence regarding that, because that tricks and deceives fans into buying a series that may not want at all. I can understand people dropping a series because it doesn't have what they wanted but this is not cool, because if they do tease them and don't have them in until a milestone issue like say 25 or 50 by the time that happens a lot of fans wouldn't care anymore by that point and have already dropped the series.

Should they do that it'll probably backfire on them severely, but that's not the only issue and concern I have. So apparently IDW Sonic will continue after the events of Sonic Forces, I'm cool with that if it means we wouldn't have to sit through such an adaption, but I don't want the comic to do the same mistake the Post-Reboot Archie run did and that was tell the story backwards. As in have a subplot that takes place in the past or keep switching from past and present, a major problem that it had as they kept jilting the story back and forth. I sincerely hope that's not the case this time around.

Normally I like a good surprise and reveal but that doesn't really work with a new character with this series, especially nowadays after the burnout from Infinite and how he turned out. I would like this series to turn out good and have the Freedom Fighters, but regarding the latter I think they should just be straightforward with us at this point. At least that could tell us just how this series is meant to be taken and where it will go.

I knew this was coming and I have to roll my eyes at this myopic hype. It’s a terrible omen of things to come and way to hit the ground running (or face planting). Segasonic has way too many characters and very little depth to bring to the table at the get go. With a limited amount of time to develop characters in the confines of 30 pages of images an issue and so many issues a year - it’s a major production foible to be adding even more new characters to glut the page. I expected an utter lack flesh focus and dynamic arcs - but this shows it will be even further compacted by another merchandise-add of a character. Expect posters, lunchboxes, and merc galore - but do not expect any depth to this character beyond perhaps a tease. She will be just another trophy for an obsessive plushie collector.

*Shrugs* I am not gonna waste my money on this... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheRedStranger said:

I knew this was coming and I have to roll my eyes at this myopic hype. It’s a terrible omen of things to come and way to hit the ground running (or face planting). Segasonic has way too many characters and very little depth to bring to the table at the get go. With a limited amount of time to develop characters in the confines of 30 pages of images an issue and so many issues a year - it’s a major production foible to be adding even more new characters to glut the page. I expected an utter lack flesh focus and dynamic arcs - but this shows it will be even further compacted by another merchandise-add of a character. Expect posters, lunchboxes, and merc galore - but do not expect any depth to this character beyond perhaps a tease. She will be just another trophy for an obsessive plushie collector.

*Shrugs* I am not gonna waste my money on this...

Yeah and to be honest this honestly gives me the impression that they have kicked the ffs to the curb for the same thing with Star Wars. Consumerism which social justice usually follows it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince By-Tor said:

166?cb=20120512112742

I don’t know how “original” or new this character is to be honest. Too cookie cutter in my opinion.

Huh, I didn't notice that before, you may have a point there. I mean it wouldn't be surprising but still.

40 minutes ago, TheRedStranger said:

I expected an utter lack flesh focus and dynamic arcs - but this shows it will be even further compacted by another merchandise-add of a character. Expect posters, lunchboxes, and merc galore - but do not expect any depth to this character beyond perhaps a tease. She will be just another trophy for an obsessive plushie collector.

Yeah here's the thing about that, don't expect any sort of merch outside of the comic. After all none of the Freedom Fighters or any comic character from the US or UK never got any sort of merchandise. You'd think that would have been obvious but none were ever made throughout the years, the only exception were maybe a few stickers and that Sonic in Sydney thing with Sally but that's it. I mean if this was also about merchandising I would complain in a different way and a little less, but it's not because they don't do that with Sonic. If that was the case we'd have a lot more Sonic figures ala something like those collections of Godzilla and other Tokusatsu Series, but we don't see that. I could actually complain about how there's no merch for any Sonic character outside of the games. Then again I just did so there you go.

I would say to wait and see with how it all goes, I don't mind if old or new fans enjoy it but I'm not really confident about it and the preview text for the 2nd issue doesn't do it for me either.

1 hour ago, Prince By-Tor said:

Like I said; we need to quit begging for scraps from Sega and these “ official” sources when we have a feast of stories and original work amongst us fans and much, much better quality to boot. 

I agree with Tor. We COULD moan about how this new character is a toy and evil and communist and not Sally or we could...you know, do something about it.