Sonic Hacks and Mods.

TheRedStranger

I'm very familiar with Sonic ROM Hacks, been playing them as far back as Sonic Gaiden (which is just Sonic 1 with Sonic and Mighty playable) and the 3rd version of Sonic 1 Megamix when that came out way back when in around 2007 or so. I even joined one of the sites where you would find these rom hacks, yet sadly I've never dabbled in making one (horrible) rom hack myself.

I have however beta tested The S Factor: Sonia & Silver for it's creator, GrandMasterGalvatron/Aqualash many years ago. The last version of it being pretty much the same one that came out eventually. I'm not all for Joke Hacks, but do have a lot of them too. That Sonic EXE Hack is probably the only redeeming thing I've seen of the Sonic.EXE concept. Most fan games of that are mainly average or not worth your time.

Also, Sonia's outfit in the hack is far different from the show due to palette limitations regarding the Genesis hardware. I'm sad that Sonic 1 Brother Trouble was never completed, but that's the thing regarding ROM Hacks. Much like Fan Games, you are never guaranteed a completed game.

Sonic 1 Megamix is also the hack that Stealth worked on, which lead to him along with Taxman (Christian Whitehead) eventually developing Sonic Mania. Which I may remind you, Sonic Mania was made by fans who have a history in making hacks, fan games, and music. It's why I hold Mania in such high regard along with it being a very good game.

So yeah, any of these top 20 Hacks in that video I'd highly recommend. There are always new ones being made so check out sites like Sonic Retro and Sonichacking for more of them.