I've never played Diablo or Diablo II, but I have Diablo III: Reaper of Souls: Ultimate Evil Edition. This is Gauntlet meets Borderlands, people. Effing awesome, in my opinion. The "at any time, you can replay any part of the game you've reached before" option is absolute genius. It really does a good job of being a spiritual successor to the Gauntlet games, and improving on that experience. While the story itself is rather dark, there is also a good amount of humor and snarkyness thrown in to keep things fun. And the loot generator seems to run similar to that from the Borderlands games, where you'll probably never get the exact same item again. I've never beaten it yet, but it's one of those games that makes level grinding fun. And it's one of the few X-Box 360 games that lets you do 2-4 players in co-op mode on the same console. I don't remember how much I paid for it at Wal-Mart, but it's been a good investment. Easily, one of my favorite games. B|

• Like 2

It would be even better if it was on PC. XP

I don't have the 3rd Game but I do have both the 1st and 2nd Game...which I haven't played yet. X_X

I know much about the series though, it's on my games I need to play list I'll give you that. Also I loved Gauntlet, Dark Legacy was a great game. Does anyone have some experience or tales regarding the Diablo Series here?

• 1 month later...

I have all 3 games ^.^  (And the loot system from Borderlands 2 was probably inspired by the first two Diablo games, BTW)

Granted, my  Diablo III: Reaper of Souls: Ultimate Evil Edition is for PS3, not the PC, so I can't really compare the gameplay to that of Diablo 2 (which I only have on PC). I definitely like how the skills are handled in D3; much better than the "skill tree" from D2. I also like how you can select your character's gender in D3...this wasn't an option in the previous games.

Deckard Cain was in all 3 games. In Diablo, he stayed in Tristram and would identify items if you paid him (100 gold). He also had some dialogue that was relevant to most of the quests, so it was a good idea to talk to him often. In Diablo 2, you had to rescue him in Act 1; after that he would appear in the Rouge Camp and identify items for free. He also followed the player from act to act in that game. In Diablo 3, the player has to rescue him from the Cathedral in Act 1...but you probably knew that ;)

In Diablo, there were only 3 character classes (Warrior, Rogue, & Sorcerer)...unless you had the Hellfire expansion, which added the Monk.

In Diablo 2, there were 5 character classes: Amazon, Barbarian, Necromancer, Sorceress, and Paladin. The Lord of Destruction expansion added the Assassin and the Druid.

• 3 years later...

I have yet to play Diablo II, but I do have it. Same goes for Diablo I. Now regarding Roguelikes...ohh boy... 

I've played quite a bit of them, Enter the Gungeon for one. Fun game, it's like Zombies at My Neighbors meets a bullet hell shmup. Fun stuff. Then there's Binding of Isaac, the original and remake. Which I played so much back then I can never really play again. I just can't, not because it's a bad game but because I got completely burnt out by it. Then there's the roguelike platformer Spelunky, which I've never beaten.

Love the genre despite the difficulty, and I can't wait to check out Monolith when I have the chance. :)