Not TOTALLY sure where to put this topic, but seeing as one of the biggest criticisms of Sonic Lost World I see is "every character apart from Sonic and Eggman is atrociously written", it seems to be an apt topic.

That is, Sonic's friends. Even if, technically speaking, Sonic has very few friends, about two or four (Tails and Knuckles, four if you count Blaze and Chip, which I do). Everyone else is either neutral, a rival, Amy or trying to kill him. Regardless, a lot of people in and out the franchise see Sonic's friends as "worthless" or "useless". Sonic's Worthless Friends is practically another painful meme to be thrown on the pile alongside Sanic and Ow the Edge. How everyone wants it to just be Sonic and Eggman forever and ever and ever.

Though that does make me wonder; Do you think Sonic's friends (read: the other characters) are worthless? If so, how so? And if not, why not?

My Answer: No they're not. Such arrogance is how we got such a boring Sonic buried under mandates and NEVER allowed to emote in fear alienating a part of the already shattered fanbase. Can't sell lunchboxes of a guy who FROWNS, now, can you (even if the amount of Shadow merchandise they sell would prove one wrong)? In fact, now that Sonic has been flanderized into a sort of walking bunch of one-liners who never takes anything seriously (while Tails is a walking toolbox who doesn't do anything and Knuckles is...well, his Boom version is frankly an improvement to me), they're more important than ever. I'm not going to say EVERY character works (Amy really needs to leave this franchise for a while), but something as simple as having someone like Blaze help Sonic in the story in a meaningful manner would help the story and perhaps even the gameplay. It's one of the few things I have to give credit to Boom of all things for trying. It didn't work, because the focus was still too much on Sonic (who was even WORSE in Boom) and the 'New Generation' character Sticks isn't in a good portion of the episodes, but it was at least a step in the right direction.

Oh god, I just complimented Boom. I have to go wash my mouth out now...

Its funny that what Ian Flynn said about blaze applies more to sonic and robotnik these days; they can't carry a story alone. BOTH sonic and robotnik I found worked better when they had someone to interact with, as well as when they were allowed to react alongside them to the context of any given situation. It's why I believe that most sonic shows from the 90's did so well was that by allowing them to bounce off someone else they were able to emote and act in a more meaningful manner. In the end I don't think sonic's friends are useless, they're just never used.

Batman and his millions of merchandise revenue would like to have a word with you. XP 

http://bensbargains.net/thecheckout/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/batman_tin_lunchbox.jpg

Art and thus character writing is a reflection and celebration on the human condition. If you have character who cannot be sad or emotionally diverse, you do not have a relatable character.

As a person who has workshopped, professionally edited, and has a bit of experience writing wise, my analysis of these characters would be indeed truly biting. In a market full of exciting characters like Nathan Drake, Commander Shepherd, GlaDoS, and the colorful active characters of TF2, I would say Segasonic depictions (the games) of Sonic's friends are rather insulting to the aging and age-diverse fan base who are familiar with characters integral to Sonic plot lines (a lover and leader in Sally, a rival in Knuckles, and a tragic doppelgänger in Shadow, ect.) All these characters have  fundamental independent motivations apart from Sonic with which he has to interact. They also have developed and changed as dynamic characters with reasonable narrative arcs. 

"Useless" though is a very vague term. I would argue that when it comes to thematic depth and their potential for plot movement, they are indeed severely hamstringed by SEGA in the games. Generations is an excellent example (though the game play is reasonably fun). All the characters are reduced to plot-coupons to cash in to progress through the "story." They have no external motivations outside of Sonic. At the end we see them as merely an obnoxious multi-colored cheerleading squad. 

One other issue I'd point out is that constant reboots are destroying the potential of the games developing character's narrative arcs. Blaze has a lot of potential for example, yet SEGA has rehashed her as a sudden toe-along for Silver and a carbon copy of Knuckles when comes to a vague  series of magical Mcguffins. Blaze, a feline regal with pyromancy, is a character begging for more of an arc, backstory, and more diverse series of evolving motivations. Sadly most plots reduce her as a cutesy lavender colored puppet to slog around for a collectathon. I think many of these characters deserve more depth rather than breadth. We have a glut of characters in many Sonic narratives in which we simply don't get enough time to enjoy and spend time with them. Sonic rescues them, speeds by them, and they cheer his praises. Rinse and repeat. Instead, we need games that have them more integral to the plot. Dare I say, we should be able to play them? Dare I say, they should have their own spin-off games? I do... 

I would be careful not to abuse the word "arrogant" when talking of others positions on the matter. I would instead focus on their arguments prima facia. I would also not blame them for events beyond their control when it comes to legality and SEGA's business practices. To do so makes one's position sound like it's both a Straw Man Argument and an Argumentum Ad Homenum. If these detractors make the argument that these characters are useless to the plot simply reply: blame SEGA and the way they write Sonic; they have turned Sonic into a sacred cow who can't get a scratch on him. It's not the fault of the supporting characters' existences  but their plot mandated insignificance compared to a now angelified Sonic.

Remember, SEGA looks at Sonic in a way we don't. We grew up with him; they peddle him. To SEGA he is a brand, not a character. To them he is no different than a blue ball in a themed pachinko game. That's a huge issue in the Japanese market nowadays (think Konami vs Hideo). Sonkx is the mascot for SEGA, so having him fail, learn, or have a need to grow makes these artless executives fear for potential damage to their companies cash cow and overall "cool" image. Ironically, this is what hurts the Sonic Franchise's creative potential worse than any lawsuit.

___

For when you all are writing:

If you all wish to improve in your character writing and really make these characters shine on you own work, don't be afraid to embrace Sonic's flaws and his need for help! Screw the mandates, you as an original writer are not bound to them. Go at it! If you need help reconstructing your favorite characters and giving them limelight, here is a great book from Reader's digest: Character's Emotion. an Viewpoint, by Nancy Kress. 

If you want to make it better; best do it yourself. :)

___

You just gave me an idea for a Thread, Nemisis. ;)

21 minutes ago, TheRedStranger said:

Batman and his millions of merchandise revenue would like to have a word with you. XP 

http://bensbargains.net/thecheckout/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/batman_tin_lunchbox.jpg

Art and thus character writing is a reflection and celebration on the human condition. If you have character who cannot be sad or emotionally diverse, you do not have a relatable character.

As a person who has workshopped, professionally edited, and has a bit of experience writing wise, my analysis of these characters would be indeed truly biting. In a market full of exciting characters like Nathan Drake, Commander Shepherd, GlaDoS, and the colorful active characters of TF2, I would say Segasonic depictions (the games) of Sonic's friends are rather insulting to the aging and age-diverse fan base who are familiar with characters integral to Sonic plot lines (a lover and leader in Sally, a rival in Knuckles, and a tragic doppelgänger in Shadow, ect.) All these characters have  fundamental independent motivations apart from Sonic with which he has to interact. They also have developed and changed as dynamic characters with reasonable narrative arcs. 

"Useless" though is a very vague term. I would argue that when it comes to thematic depth and their potential for plot movement, they are indeed severely hamstringed by SEGA in the games. Generations is an excellent example (though the game play is reasonably fun). All the characters are reduced to plot-coupons to cash in to progress through the "story." They have no external motivations outside of Sonic. At the end we see them as merely an obnoxious multi-colored cheerleading squad. 

One other issue I'd point out is that constant reboots are destroying the potential of the games developing character's narrative arcs. Blaze has a lot of potential for example, yet SEGA has rehashed her as a sudden toe-along for Silver and a carbon copy of Knuckles when comes to a vague  series of magical Mcguffins. Blaze, a feline regal with pyromancy, is a character begging for more of an arc, backstory, and more diverse series of evolving motivations. Sadly most plots reduce her as a cutesy lavender colored puppet to slog around for a collectathon. I think many of these characters deserve more depth rather than breadth. We have a glut of characters in many Sonic narratives in which we simply don't get enough time to enjoy and spend time with them. Sonic rescues them, speeds by them, and they cheer his praises. Rinse and repeat. Instead, we need games that have them more integral to the plot. Dare I say, we should be able to play them? Dare I say, they should have their own spin-off games? I do... 

I would be careful not to abuse the word "arrogant" when talking of others positions on the matter. I would instead focus on their arguments prima facia. I would also not blame them for events beyond their control when it comes to legality and SEGA's business practices. To do so makes one's position sound like it's both a Straw Man Argument and an Argumentum Ad Homenum. If these detractors make the argument that these characters are useless to the plot simply reply: blame SEGA and the way they write Sonic; they have turned Sonic into a sacred cow who can't get a scratch on him. It's not the fault of the supporting characters' existences  but their plot mandated insignificance compared to a now angelified Sonic.

Remember, SEGA looks at Sonic in a way we don't. We grew up with him; they peddle him. To SEGA he is a brand, not a character. To them he is no different than a blue ball in a themed pachinko game. That's a huge issue in the Japanese market nowadays (think Konami vs Hideo). Sonkx is the mascot for SEGA, so having him fail, learn, or have a need to grow makes these artless executives fear for potential damage to their companies cash cow and overall "cool" image. Ironically, this is what hurts the Sonic Franchise's creative potential worse than any lawsuit.

___

For when you all are writing:

If you all wish to improve in your character writing and really make these characters shine on you own work, don't be afraid to embrace Sonic's flaws and his need for help! Screw the mandates, you as an original writer are not bound to them. Go at it! If you need help reconstructing your favorite characters and giving them limelight, here is a great book from Reader's digest: Character's Emotion. an Viewpoint, by Nancy Kress. 

If you want to make it better; best do it yourself. :)

___

You just gave me an idea for a Thread, Nemisis. ;)

Where did I enter this? I am genuinely confused as to how I was involved.

I'm having a little trouble putting my thoughts on this into words, but I'll probably just ramble and see how that goes.

So, Sonic's friends. SEGA have done a truly fantastic job at introducing these characters and then reducing them to a bad joke. Let's look at a few examples, shall we?

Tails: Started off as a tagalong kid in the classics, then when SA1 and SA2 came along, he began to come out of Sonic's shadow, saving Station Square on his own in SA1 after a long period of character introspection, and then defeating Eggman and saving Amy to avenge Sonic in SA2, as well as doing all of the planning. True, his victory was negated by Eggman stealing the Emerald when he wasn't looking, but he at least succeeded mostly.

Knuckles: Began as a naive and lonely guardian and protector of an island, housing a stone of immense power. Through his interactions with Sonic, he helped save the world from the Death Egg, and later saved his Island and the Master Emerald from Mecha Sonic. In the Adventure games, he was able to restore the Emerald after it was broken, and make a few more friends. Not as good as Tails' story, but decent enough.

Amy: Started off as just a random crazy fan, that followed Sonic on one of his adventures and got herself caught. As she pursued Sonic, she learned to defend herself, and when she met the bird in SA1, she helped it on her own. She did try to get Sonic's help, but did a good enough job without him, and managed to convince Gamma to turn away from Eggman, defeat ZERO, and reunite the bird with its family, now determined to be more independent. In SA2, while she didn't get her own arc as such, and she was initially the load, needing to be saved by Sonic and Tails multiple times throughout the story, she ultimately managed to convince Shadow to save the world, which directly allowed for the heroes' victory.

Shadow: Less detailed than the other two because he had one game to work with, but Shadow got a lot of focus as a tragic character, created to do good but turned against the world because of the paranoia of his creator's bosses. His friend/sister figure died, and he vowed to avenge her, helping a madman almost destroy the world, before he realised that, all along, he was supposed to save it. While he did so, the battle seemingly cost him his life, but he fell to his death with his life's purpose fulfilled.

And then Sonic Heroes happened.

The more I think about this game, the more I wish it hadn't happened. Metal Sonic was good, and I like Omega. Everything else... Just no. Shadow came back because of popularity. Tails was completely dependent on Sonic again. Amy's entire character was reduced to dementedly following Sonic, to the point that she ignored the fact that her friends were looking for him because they thought he kidnapped their pets. Knuckles' duty to the Master Emerald is ignored completely, save for one token mention in the ending. The game began the trend of pandering to nostalgia, and this eventually came to define the series.

The constant demands from fanboys to not have to play as Tails or Knuckles meant that they were reduced to standing around being useless. Tails' technical abilities meant he could still do something in cutscenes, but to many casual fans, that's all there is to him. Sonic X certainly didn't help in this regard- Whereas it gave Knuckles, Amy, and Rouge plenty of chances to shine, even had Cream be the one to stop Ultimate Emerl (I hated that scene), and turned Shadow into an unstoppable juggernaut who was fully capable of curbstomping the entire cast, Tails was reduced to nothing more than a glorified taxi-driver. Even when he finally got some focus in the third season, where they could've used the space setting to at least make something of his piloting skills (Which normally resulted in his plane being damaged and needing a rescue from Sonic in the previous seasons), the 'writers' decided to instead focus on a romance with a sentient tree, which was nothing if not appropriately wooden. The upshot of this is that you'll find plenty of fans who scoff at the idea of Tails having a Super form, because to them, being anything but wimpy tech support and fodder for Sonic to rescue doesn't suit his character.

And now the Sonic franchise is a fountain of memes, turning itself into a giant circlejerk for its own haters. The only characters that get love are 'Sanic' and Big the Cat.

I would prefer not to take up the tasteless language of the very people we are protesting against. We have to be more high-brow than them...

This should be a problem solving thread rather than a grouse thread... After all, you can't end negativity with negativity. Now, what would be the clear solution to this problem?

Personally I know haters will hate. Like bacteria, once a womb opens...infection will enter. It happens even Zelda, Mario, Mega-Man and Resident Evil. Sometimes certain aspects of Sonic become "safe-hate" due to some  bad missteps which are quickly over-grandized by gaming "journalism" and social media. The "Sonic downfall" narrative is perfect clickbait for sites like Kotaku as it has a strong Brand name that evokes strongly long-developed emotions across their targeted demographic. In turn such "journalism" has lead to a well fabricated narrative and platform where one can easylt  cull the heard to listen to one's voice. In other words, it is the perfect demagog fuel for the subscriber-hungry attention seeker to bandwagon. SEGA though made the monster. It cut and stabbed Sonic and let those wounds fester. SEGA does little to sway the media monster. SEGA frankly cares more about the Japanese Pachinko market, merchandise, and royalties via IP-lending to actually overcome their sociocentric marketing to rekindle the sales and high quality product SoA pushed for in the 1990's. Their prime demographic is very different than they realize nowadays. Most of us are actually in the 20-40 range now but were mainly marketing a game for preteen kids rather than appealing to a broader age range. They need to actually do what Sony has done and create a strong localization team in the West with increased autonomy within both Europe and America, much like they had in the 1990's with Tom Kalinski.

Want to disinfect Sonic's wounds? Push SoJ's sociocetric agendas out the window and reestablish a more appealing vision to the European and American market. 

To sort of follow up on what Red said, many influential Japanese game designers have said that the fact that Japanese game industry refuses to change is one of the big reasons why it is stagnating. When was the last time a notable game from Japan got an official Western release that wasn't part of an already existing franchise? I can't say for certain but I'm certain the list is small.

Add on to that the PlayStation branch of Sony was recently restructured and now has it's headquarters in California. That has got to at least say something.

There's a line in Sonic Generations right before the final battle referring to Sonic's friends: "They're Insignificant." Sometimes I'm wondering if this is how SEGA truly feels about these guys.

You had Tails at one point was able to shine on his own and was able to hold up to Robotnik, twice, but he's been scaled down to the friend who only invents stuff to benefit Sonic and seems to cant hold his own anymore. The kid is a genius and was able to stick up for himself but now he is just a secondary character that is only there to help Sonic along. Knuckles seems to have forgone his duties to the Master Emerald. Yeah I have seen arguments that he just brings it with him now but really I wonder if they have any future plans for him. Amy, dont get me started, she's just nothing but a fangirl now with a one track mind. As Arcan said with SA 1 & 2 she had some redeeming qualities to her but now she really doesnt have any. She needs a total re-write at this point. Shadow has just become a joke. Adventure 2, Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog he was a pretty decent character, with the latter game is being about him trying to find about himself, hell even '06 Shadow story actually gave him some good development. Now he's just become a meme about being "edgy."

All of these characters had a ton of potential at one point but SoJ has squandered it because some people complained about not playing mainly Sonic. Now it seems to be the other way around with fans asking for SoJ to bring back these guys as playable characters. And you know what? I'm not 100% sure I can trust SoJ anymore to do this and give these characters any worthwhile development within the next few games. Boom was probably our best shot in some way but internal fighting and SEGA pushing the game to come out before it was ready hurt those chances too.

I really try to be optimistic, maybe with the focus shifting back to SoA things can change. But I need to see it first.

• 2 weeks later...

Sonic's friends are worthless in the gameplay :D.

I guess it depends who you would define "Sonic's friends."  Through all the games, the one friend Sonic had from the start is Tails, and his role has changed so much throughout the game franchise.  Starting off as a kid fox who looked up to Sonic, Tails followed Sonic on his adventures and used his twin tails to keep up with Sonic's speed.  Sonic must have looked after Tails and Tails uses a lot of the same moves Sonic does, and he also trusts Tails with his plane.  Once Adventure began, Tails became this kid-genius who could rival Robotnik's IQ but lost a lot of his physical potential.  Now, he is hardly involved in the actual gameplay and seems to tag along as a sidekick with the only sane mind of the two.  I personally do not like this change in Tail's character and would have preferred his former portrayal in the Classic Genesis games.

Amy was never seen as Sonic's friend in the Genesis game: just an annoying fan girl that would hug him whenever he stopped running.  The Adventure series seem to reinforce this idea of her fangirl behavior, but they also decided to give her a hammer to make her somewhat useful in perilous situations.  Now she is still the same fangirl that annoys Sonic.  I wouldn't call her his friend; more of an acquantence.

Knuckles was never meant to be Sonic's friend: they started off as enemies and came out as rivals.  Their antagonistic and rival relationship should have remained in the games, but once you removed Knuckles from Angel Island...bye bye, Knucklehead.

My point: in the games, Sonic only had one friend that always stuck with him.  He gets along with other people he helps along the way, but Tails has always been his friend, sidekick, and even little brother.  Outside the games, have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing we need to consider too is that Sonic seemingly just has a ton of "friends." As we know, a good story should not have just you and five thousand "friends" - that does not create drama or conflict. Eggman versus a cheerleading cult  of colorful cartoon friends and their overlord Sonic does not make a good story in the games (Archie Comics does reasonably better obviously). 

I think the fickleness from the fans Arcan has explifed is actually just a confused expression of this complex issue of character dynamics. The utter lack of rational continuity in the games worsens this as characters change radically between games and cannot have evolving dynamic arcs. The interactions between characters simply don't ring true because of this and are largely inconsistent. To to be succinct, these reactions are fickle because the games can be largely fickle. They need to stick to developing these characters through out a period of games to keep consistent interest. Many of have just thrown their arms up and said "screw it, all of them are useless - just give me maybe Tails, Robotnik, and Sonic."

There has been noted decay over time when it comes to characters as well as stagnation. Ishpar made reference to characters like Knuckles once being a rival. His role was made more and more obsolete when Shadow came around and now he just blends in the cheering crowd as Emerald schlock got old. The big problem is that the characters in the franchise are forced into narrative irrelevancy due to bad writing. Knuckles, Shadow, even 1 Dimensional Yandere Amy could have more influence over the story if they were more than considered "friends." Tails is a good example of a better direction, Tails is basically the little brother figure to Sonic rather than just his friend. Tails looks up to Sonic yet knows he can't be just like him. 

His theme says it all.His theme says it all.

Iroically this makes him a more an interesting friend to Sonic, he is his own person and not contingent to Sonic. He is not a merely a different colored face in the crowd. Remember, you can't have good chemistry with inert elements. Sally and Sonic were like vinegar and baking soda sometimes and could be hilariously explosive on the screen. Knuckles and Sonic in Sonic 3 were opposed in their goals though it was not simple case of black versus white. You have to have an actual dynamic between characters, and the newer games have a tendency to not show that (though Sonic Lost World's slightly redeemed itself when it came to Sonjc and Tails interactions.) 

Here is a good litmus test: Coukd you imagine this character ever having an interesting side story without Sonco around? Could you imagine any of these characters being able to hold your attention if something happened to ol' Blue? Or would they just have nothing to cheer at for and sit like a colorful animated knot on a largely mundane log? If so, then you indeed have a worthless character. 

___

If you guys are interested in fixing this problem, we have a section where we are discussing just that in this very section of the site: "reworking Archie Sonjc characters." If anyone reading this has not been there and has thoughts; you are invited to join in that conversation mentioning this in detail. 

• Like 1

Okay it's about time I throw down and tackle this topic.

So, Sonic and His Worthless Friends, well when it comes to friends that's kind of a loose term here in this case, other then Tails, Blaze, Knuckles most of the time, and maybe Amy everyone else are more like acquaintances, however Worthless Acquaintances doesn't roll off the tongue that well.

Here's the thing, I would say that mostly but potentially all of them are useful and can bring in a good dynamic depending on the story when regarding Sega Sonic. Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Silver, and Blaze are the easiest ones that are the most useful in terms of meaning to a story depending on what that is. While Amy, Cream, Big, Marine, and The Chaotix on how they have been in most of their appearances are really tough to pan down and have general meaning in a story due to their poor fate in being nothing but the comedic relief in a story with no real impact to the events of events unless it's ends up as a result of a Deus Ex Machina just in the nic of time. Granted Amy wasn't like that in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but by Heroes and Sonic X by extension degraded her.

Stranger brings in a very good question when it comes to the Sega Sonic Cast, without Sonic can they support a game on their own? While he complements Tails on his own character there is a good reason for that, thing is Tails HAS proved himself as being able to go on his own, such as in the Spin Off Tails Skypatrol and the prequel Tails Adventures, he's more then capable in being his own star, or even getting his own sub-series with a cast of new characters on his own. I can say the same with a lot of others really, while Knuckles did get a game of his own, not only is it's continuity in question but it was originally called just Chaotix in Japan, thing is Knuckles was more of an afterthought in the middle of development as Espio was originally the star character under the 32X World Sign Post in the Opening. I think Knuckles does need his own chance at the spotlight for real this time, same goes for Shadow as well despite his own botched game though I feel Rouge and Omega would be trickier to handle. Blaze having her own adventures in her world could be a whole other series as well, Silver having time travel adventures can bring about some interesting things too, even Big and The Chaotix could have their own wacky adventures, I mean they got a good amount of fans and it could work, like a huge fishing adventure catching crazy aquatic sea life like a Giant Squid, or solve mysteries with The Chaotix going around town and stuff. Now as crazy as it sounds perhaps Amy COULD hold an adventure on her own, but that would be very hard to pull off, everyone else however I have doubt they could hold it on their own. As for obscure characters such as Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean, Bark, and maybe Honey they could all be a part of their own spin off series together if they decided to bring them back. I mean Mighty and Ray are very similar to Sonic and Tails, it could work and with Fang apparently being from Another Dimension you could have it so that they live in some alternate world or something...which would raise more continuity questions. XP

Those are just some general thoughts on the Sega Sonic cast, I mean there are others like Gemrel and Shade that I didn't mention, though while they have been left in the dust I don't know if they have enough going for them to warrent a Spin Off, Shade maybe as a support for Knuckles but I dunno, also we need Gemrel back for a Sonic Fighting game of sorts, in the style of Battle, Fighters, or even Smash.

Everyone had a general purpose and meaning in the series from the classic games all the way up to SA2, once Heroes began everything went straight down the toilet when it comes to the supporting cast, granted there are exceptions like the Advance Series and Battle, along with the Riders series I could argue, and of course the Rush games brought along Blaze and had her own Arc. Otherwise it's just been a jumbled mess, how is it that Nintendo whose Mario characters are overall flat deep down in most aspects have their characters evolve and get EXCELLENT spin off games while Sonic has gotten so few of mostly mixed quality? They just don't know how to handle these characters, I'd like for them to test the waters on this and get a passionate dev team with creative control on them so the Sega Sonic Series can be expanded outwards to new heights, along with the Main Series of course.

I hope they can bring them back in a big way, back to their roots of who they are without going to far off the rails, let's just hope whenever they return, and believe me they will, that it'll be in the best way possible.

On a side note is it just me or can you track the Prelude to the Downfall of Sega Sonic all the way back to Heroes and Sonic X? xD

• 4 weeks later...

Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow all had their own games, and I believe there is enough to their character and backstory that they could all handle more games on their own.  Silver and Blaze seem to be possible candidates too.  I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Chaotix have their own spinoff or even Nack.

• Like 1