It has come to my attention that many of you have never read Sonic's UK Comic equivalent to Archie Sonic, that being the famous and amazing Sonic The Comic, published by Fleetway around the same year, if not earlier then Archie Sonic. It has been talked about but never really looked into by many in the fandom despite a good chunk of the characters being somewhat well known, however today I'll finally enlighten you all to what I consider the best Sonic comic ever made.

The comic itself doesn't go in an exact order at first, but I'll give you a brief low down on what it's about.

The story is quite a contrast to other Sonic Stories released at the time, as it's origins come from SoA's Sonic Bible, when a kind scientist named Dr. Ovi Kintobor finds a brown hedgehog named Sonic they quickly hit it off. During that time two experiments go awry, Sonic uses Kintobor's new power sneakers and during a lab incident becomes the Super Fast Blue Hedgehog we come to know of. When Kintobor is testing an experiment out with the (then known) 6 Chaos Emeralds, upon tripping on a cord with a rotten egg in hand, he turns into the demented and insane Dr. Ivo Robotnik. Afterwards Sonic then has to stop his former friend from turning all the inhabitants into his Badnik Army and stop him from taking over Mobius. Sonic does so multiple times with two special occasions being the events on Sonic 1 and 2, literally. Along the way he ends up befriending Miles "Tails" Prower, or Pixel Brain as Sonic loves to poke fun at him, Johnny Lightfoot, the straight man of the group, and Porker Lewis, the always nervous techie of the group. After a few issues Sonic tells his friends what made Sonic and Robotnik who they are, when Robotnik ends up pulling a fast one of them and sends them 6 months into the future, where all of Mobius is offically Ruled By Robotnik, or RBR as it's known as. After that they officially form The Freedom Fighters, lead by Sonic to take Robotnik down and free Mobius.

Sounds MUCH different then what your used to doesn't it? They end up recruiting new Freedom Fighters and allies along the way, such as Amy Rose who is unlike any other Pink Hedgehog you know of, the short tempered Shortfuse the Cybernik, and another techie Tekno the Canary. Along the way they meet Knuckles the Echidna, and fight against Metallix the Metal Sonic. There's a lot more to the series as well with different story arcs, new strange worlds, and a bunch more familiar and new characters alike. You really gotta check this series out on your own and discover what it holds, that little synopsis up there doesn't do it justice. Granted the series isn't perfect and there are some later issues or so that aren't up to par with the rest of the series, but it's a small price to pay for a mostly consistently great series.

If your afraid that it will have similar problems to Archie Sonic did during it's run then do I have good news for you, I'm happy to say that STC has none of the problems Archie Sonic has or had, which is a breath of fresh air. Now there are some sillier moments here and there, I mean the origins of Sonic and Robotnik here are pretty ridiculous, but it's a small price to pay and can even be charming at times. Plus in earlier issues and throughout the series until later on you get Game Reviews, Articles, and even comics based off of other Sega Games! Like Shinobi, Ecco the Dolphin, Wonder Boy, Streets of Rage, and most popular of all in STC...Decap Attack! You get a lot of variety in STC, and it all ends up great overall.

The series however ended up suffering a slow death after the last story arc and ended up doomed to reprints of past stories until it's end in issue 223, and most criminal of all STC has never seen any offical release...however...
Years ago some fans got together and scanned every single issue and what few specials there were and posted them online, and when their site went down the series lived on from each file sharing and comic reading site, but officially out of publication. Now with many of you I assume who have never read this amazing series or know where to find them...I can't let that happen...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jurwh3wy4k7yawx/AAAvXGPuL5EKmCCpMBbzm0Hna?dl=0

That's right, I have it, The Complete Series available and ready to read just for you guys! Why else would the title of this be Sonic The Comic: The Complete Series? Right now you can download and read every issue of STC as it was intended, with all bonuses and Special Issues included. I refuse to let the Original Series die out, and you should too! So get on reading and enjoy the canon Sega wants you to forget.

But that's not all! Nope, see 10 or so years back fans of STC couldn't let the world they grew up on in The UK die out, so the fans struck back and made their own continuation of STC known as Sonic The Comic Online.

http://www.stconline.co.uk/

You can't keep a good series down, so much so that the former creators have even done some work on it as well and gave their blessing to it, making it what many call The Offical Unoffical Continuation of STC that continues on to this day. That is AMAZING to me, this is the canon that refuses to die! I can easily do an analysis on STC and what STC-O has so far, but perhaps that's a time for another day.

If I may though, I will say how STC stands up overall, to me this is The Equal to SatAM in terms of importance, quality, and how good it is. I DO NOT say that lightly. I cannot recommend this series more then I already have, and I urge you my fellow Free Scribes to read what you may have missed for so long.

To a Free Mobius!
[Disclaimer: If Sega ends up somehow re-releasing Sonic The Comic - support the offical release.]

• Like 1