Your favourite Sonic SatAM episode

DaddlerTheDalek

That's hard to say because I have a lot in Season One and Two respectively. I will have to give this some thought. 

I have to say I love Ultra Sonic. I have never seen Sonic so humanized and empathetic than when having to loose a love one twice. It's character writing for our protagonist is brilliant. You get the same vibe in The Void with Sally and The King in season two.

• Like 2

Ultra Sonic and The Void are excellent, nearly every episode of SatAM is a gem, real grounded world with characters that emote and feel, that struggle and you can feel that struggle. And while things can be bleak, despite it being a "dark" show they don't lose that witty, light-hearted spirit, they try to not let their world and situation get to them. Though sometimes that's not always the case, Sonic's Nightmare for example is the 2nd best example in showing that Sonic is...for the lack of a better term human, he does feel fear and things can get to him, this is the kind of stuff Sega would NEVER allow nowadays sadly...

I really like Sonic Racer too, rather then winning the trophy from Robotnik to rub it in his face and beat Robotnik, Sonic doesn't lose sight of what's important and ends up shutting down the generator and saves his friends. Despite his ego and arrogance he knows what's truly important and they win that battle, that's something I don't think we'll ever see officially again as this Sonic doesn't usually overlook anything unlike say Archie Sonic, or isn't completely lazy and apathetic like Sonic from Sonic X. Granted he is a kid at heart with the flaws of one in SatAM but he is a Sonic the Hedgehog that I can confidently call a Hero, that's why it's one of my favorite episodes in SatAM.

Another one would be Harmonic Sonic, despite being infamous to many SatAM fans it's another personal favorite as Rotor is co-staring with Sonic this time around and maneuvering around the literally insane Sky Spy between a slime creature and jazzy robots, it's pretty epic with them taking down this satellite from orbit, it's also the only episode where they go into space I may add.

It's much more easier to point out the episodes that aren't my favorite rather then pointing out my favorites. xD

• Like 2

sonic racer. its the first one I ever watched and its the one most burned into my memory, I loved how every characters interactions made them feel grounded and human in a way the recent games and comics sadly can't do.

• Like 1

Toughy.  The Void is probably my favorite as it had the most potential for a future season and it was nice to see King Acorn be reunited with Sally.  Naugus was an interesting individual, and I wish we season 3 would have come out with him as a villian (guess Sea3on will have to do).  As a side bonus, it's the first episode where Sonic starts his tough love relationship with Nicole!

That's easy: Sonic's Nightmare. I love the animation the detail of the artwork and of course the story was awesome. Robotnik also leaped out of his static character quite a bit at the end and showed considerable development. Sonic too showed his inner emotions and that he was mortal with fears like anyone else. In face all the characters really showed up for that one.

If I had to pick a second it would probably be Super Sonic or Sonic and the Secret Scrolls.

*edit* If you cannot tell I'm a huge fan of the first season.

Sonic and the Secret Scrolls was a neat episode, but I think it would have fit better for the season finale of season one. 

I just remembered that along with the Void, the next episode I probably like is Sonic Conversion.  Uncle Chuck has become one of my favorites, and to him and Sonic struggle with his roboticiation brings more emotional turmoil and drama to the series.

• Like 2

I agree, you can tell the first season was a jumble, Sonic Past Cool and Harmonic Sonic are more like the pilot, Heads or Tails, and come at the end and middle of the season respectively. Those episodes have a similar feel and artwork to the pilot, whilst ones like Sonic Boom, Sonic's Nightmare, Super Sonic, and Sonic and the Secret Scrolls are more alike than they are to Sonic Past Cool and Harmonic Sonic.

Also, I've found that season 1 is not as focused in a story arc throughout as is in the second season, but there are some things that carry on from episode to episode. And as an added bonus, like how Paramount did with Star Trek and The Next Generation, this makes each episode self-contained Any person who has never seen another episode can watch any episode of the first season and not need to catch up or feel lost, but for the most part the same is true of the second season, but to a lesser degree.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ishapar said:

I have wondered recently if we could rearrange some of the episodes in Season 1 to make it fit more chronologically before coming upon Season 2.

I'm pretty sure we could. There's a few that would fit before others but one thing I noticed is that a lot of episodes had call backs to previous ones so you gotta be careful about it

• Like 1

I can tell by the character designs, animation, and overall mood of the episodes that the first ones, in my opinion, were: Heads or Tails, Sonic Past Cool, and Harmonic Sonic. After that it gets a bit more difficult. The next one I'd put in would be Hooked on Sonics, mostly based on the feel of the episode and the brighter colours used. Then I'd either go with Sub Sonic or Sonic Racer; they were still getting darker, but there was some light-hearted elements to them that didn't make sense: we're fighting for our lives and we partake in an obvious race? Yeah right. Also I'd put Sonic Racer as the fifth episode because of the similarities to the main McGuffin: Sabotaging the hydro plant and what is seen in the intro we all know and love. It was at least in script/storyboard form at the time the intro was done.

After that I'd put Super Sonic and then Warp Sonic. At that point it pretty much lines up with Season 2.

We might have to make this a thread in and of itself: organizing season 1. xD

• Like 1

Oi, I say let's go for it, Mates!

Just a suggestion, Prince By-Tor:  I would place Sonic Boom somewhere near the beginning of the season because it is the only episode to feature Cat.  In the episode, Cat is featured as a fellow Freedom Fighter, so it is assumed Cat has helped the fellow freedom fighters before his sacrifice in Sonic Boom.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/24/2016 at 1:52 PM, MJ Knight said:

Somewhat fond of Sonic & Sally from season one.  Showing how far Sonic is willing to go for someone else and how smart and quick Tails is in spotting differences between the real & imposter Sally

Sonic and Sally is one of the best episode from Season 1; it really was a good one to establish all the FF characters as well as Sonic and Sally's relationship.

• 4 weeks later...

While a number of others come close, I shall go with "The Doomsday Project."

Though certainly not perfect, it is superbly paced and represents the culmination of numerous plot threads from earlier in the season, including the other Freedom Fighter groups, the Deep Power Stones, and of course the titular superweapon itself. This extends to character arcs as well: Robotnik's growing obsession with Sonic to the point of madness finally results in a tactical blunder that costs him everything, at which point Snively's bitterness and secret ambitions at last come to the forefront as he assumes his uncle's mantle of power. The result is a story that boldly obliterates the series' status quo, an approach almost unheard of in Western animation at that time. While Ben Hurst and the rest of the show staff sadly were never able to continue the series in this new direction, the cliffhanger they left us with is so full of mystery and promise that it continues to inspire fans to this day, over two decades later.

However, as grandiose and earth-shattering as the events of the episode are, it is ultimately a very small, quiet moment that makes it my favorite. As he prepares to head off to what he knows will be, one way or another, his final battle, Sonic is stopped by Sally, who refuses to let him go alone. Fearing for her safety, he protests, but she's adamant, replying that they are in this together...no matter how it ends. There's an unspoken grimness to her words, a very clear understanding that they will in all likelihood die. She doesn't offer empty platitudes about hope or protecting one another, making no effort to disguise the dark truth. Yet she's not driven by fatalism or despair, but determination and love. With the fate of all life on the line, she at last allows herself to make a reckless decision not as a princess who needs to consider tomorrow, but as Sally, someone who has been to Hell and back with her best friend and now cannot conceive of leaving his side as he marches into the jaws of death. It is the ultimate assertion that, for all their differences and squabbles, they are equals, partners, and soulmates.

• Like 2