Paramount Pictures' Sonic the Hedgehog movie

Sega Sammy Group is currently planning with Sony Pictures to create a live-action and animation hybrid ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie scheduled for release in 2018,” Satomi confirmed. “Like with this CG animation production, we would like to expand our business into other entertainment areas beyond what we are currently involved.

Source

I'll repeat what I said the first time I heard about this: cgi live action hybrids are almost always bad, and there's a reason why the fan film is terrible, It's also why 06 is still the most recognizably bad sonic game even when things like boom exist.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Following his departure from the Deadpool sequel, Tim Miller has signed on to executive produce the Sonic the Hedgehog movie at Sony Pictures. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Miller and his Blur Studio collaborator Jeff Fowler will develop the project, on which Fowler will make his feature directorial debut.

“Jeff is an incredible director with strong story instincts. The world of Sonic presents the perfect opportunity for him to leverage his experience in animation to bring new dimension to this iconic character,” said Miller.

Source

1 hour ago, Wulfsbane said:

This is a rather pleasant surprise.

not sure if it will make the movie better but it gives it a better shot now.

I 'unno. We've got a good director now but remember it's still going to be SEGA who will pull most of the shots. It's their property, after all.

I still will stay neutral on this aspect.  I am not fond of the movie taking place in our world, so I do not believe the film will be very promising and certainly not creative.  All they have to do is borrow a storyline from a modern Sonic game or from Sonic X and you pretty much have the movie.

I think Sega would do better to associate a storyline on MObius and away from Earth: boundless opportunities await in another world, but there is only so much one can do in mixing fantasy settings with the modern urban culture. I also note that a lot of movies seem to suffer with the plot focusing more on the human actors instead of on the main characters (Smurfs, Godzilla, Transformers, etc.): I am not interested in how humans interact with a super fast hedgehog (if I did, I have Sonic X) but I am interested more in Sonic's world and his own story.  I wish Sega and Sony would understand there is more potential in fleshing out a story of Sonic in his world rather than make another attempt at mixing a franchise with pop culture.

Also, I wish movie directors would use more settings rather than big American settings like NYC.  Why couldn't Sonic and his gang wind up in the middle of Africa or South America away from pop culture: that would be an interesting take.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

It appears that Sonic and the gang might be receiving minor redesigns for the upcoming film. Nothing "extreme" though, according to Van Robichaux.

http://www.tssznews.com/2016/12/26/the-sonic-movie-characters-may-have-redesigns-but-nothing-extreme/

Fine with me.

Yeah, that's about right. If it's going to that hideous Live-Actoin-CGI nonsense, it would probably be best to redesign them. It's nice the "attempt" at redesigning the cast for Boom didn't turn them off trying again. Hey, maybe they'll do it right this time.

To what extent though, and that's even if the movie is Live Action/CGI or Pure CGI, I mean it seems silly for them to have the Goggle Eyes Sonic we've all known in such a big budget movie, and no the OVA doesn't count as it was meant to be a pitch for a Sonic Anime. Honestly if they are going to do a small redesign then we will still get the Sega Sonic Proportions but at least have Sonic and other hedgehogs have two eyes rather then goggle eyes. Otherwise I doubt any major or good changes, if it were me I'd go for a more Anthro Style with good proportions, or better proportions then noodle limbs. XP

I've just noticed that I haven't posted anything regarding this movie or my thoughts on it, well that stands to reason as there is literally nothing other then rumors and statements regarding it, so I didn't think about responding to it. Though now, in this Cinematic Universe Media World that has sparked over the past several years I have to wonder if the movie will make a big enough impact for the Sonic Series or be left in the dust like all other Video Game Movies, I mean Assassin's Creed is getting hit by critics and it makes me wonder if overall it'll be left as nothing more then a memory without impact, I mean Ratchet and Clank as a film I have heard nothing more of it since after it came out as other then a decent to good game from what I've heard nothing else has come of it.

Will that be the same fate as the upcoming Sly Cooper Movie? Most of all Sonic as well, I mean that's what I fear that'll come to pass for it as nothing more then forgettable or at worse a mess of a film brought along by the mold of terrible CGI Live Action Trite. Not to mention that while Sonic's reputation has recovered to an extent it's like I'm trying to grasp the bigger picture here, as no one especially not a majority of fans seem to get or have a structured stand for Sonic as a whole, at least I can say that Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank has a coherent stand. The best I hope for it is to be a coherent stand for them to build upon as a whole, probably won't be the kind of stand we who write here use but it would be a good step in the right direction.

Funny enough the only video game movie that held a major impact upon it's series was the first Mortal Kombat Movie, and Uwe Boll's Postal now that I think about it. I mean that's what I hope for as Sonic Boom didn't make the intended impact they wanted it to, perhaps that's what the series is trying to look for as a whole, a stand for it to be steady upon.

However this isn't the only Sega Series getting some multimedia ground as it's said that Streets of Rage and Altered Beast might be getting a TV Series from people who worked on The Walking Dead from what I've heard, the obsolete best case scenario is that we get a Sega Cinematic Universe, but how that can come about is anyone's guess. If they go Live Action and CGI then that MIGHT save the Sonic Movie if it's not pure CGI or Animated.

• Like 1

Van Brand:

First of all, I shouldn't comment on this because this is very much not my department on the movie. (1/3)

There are multiple official looks in game. Movie Sonic can't be classic and modern and adventure era. Some choices have to be made. (2/3)

This was a massive overreaction to a speculative comment from me. The point of which was that there likely WON'T be a major redesign (3/3)

source

6 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Interesting stuff! It's a bit sad though that people will grovel over aesthetics rather than express concern over possible narrative content. Narrative content ultimately defines aesthetics. Much how Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future defined the sleek beauty of the various ship designs through the Star Trek franchise for example. If Rodenberry focused on the ships and looks before the message, everything would just be arbitrary, unmemorable, accreation (much like Sonic's broad-but-shallow roster of side characters). Sonic and the gang should look in a way best fitting for the message story, bottom line. And the story should be the top priority. I fear that any compromise will lead to an aesthetically dissonant film (live action could already perhaps hint to such - last bit of life action Sonic was not that great, let's be honest.)  If they want to go with the cyclopic eyes and saturate colors, then it will be really dissonant in comparison to the real life actors. If they go for a more gritty Satam aesthetic it could perhaps work, perhaps... But over all live-action, plus an over-vocal minority of micromanaging squabbling pseudo-fans, plus an aloof yet habitually controlling SEGA,  plus CGI gives me a bad feeling this could end up as a bland rehash of Sonic X pumped through the clogged vien of films like Smurfs, TMNT, or Trolls (mind you the average Sonic fan is most likely in his twenties or older, not 5-12.) A PG-13 film would be actually a smart idea. 

Ultimately someone has to flip the bird to some sub-group in our fandom nowadays. There are a million Sonics so it seems: Boom-Sonic, STC-Sonic, Manga-Sonic, French Comic Sonic, AoTSH-Sonic, Sonic X, Segasonic (which is basically a series of reboots with denominations within denominations), Underground Sonic, and of course Satam Sonic. Sega did not manage their software brand with any love and care whilst focusing on hardware like the 32x and CD and they are paying the price for not keeping to the SoA canon that got them 50%+ of the market share in the mid 90's under Tom Kalinski's razor and blades model of business. They best choice ton make would be to dig into Satam and then the other series, salvaging elements, and then refining them to fit a thrilling and unique adventure film (not the other way around).

Well, the Live-Action in and of itself is an issue. Remember the 2014 Godzilla film? That basically amounted to "Well, these CGI effects are a bit expensive, have some humans instead!" I fear this will be very similar.

7 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

live action could already perhaps hint to such - last bit of life action Sonic was not that great, let's be honest

That's an understatement and you know it. You know your fan film is in trouble when people are saying that the best bit in it was the Doug Walker cameo. And he didn't even have any lines! I'm kind of surprised he was in it to begin with; I thought he hated Sonic.

On 12/30/2016 at 10:54 PM, WarTraveller said:

Well, the Live-Action in and of itself is an issue. Remember the 2014 Godzilla film? That basically amounted to "Well, these CGI effects are a bit expensive, have some humans instead!" I fear this will be very similar.

That's an understatement and you know it. You know your fan film is in trouble when people are saying that the best bit in it was the Doug Walker cameo. And he didn't even have any lines! I'm kind of surprised he was in it to begin with; I thought he hated Sonic.

Being a Sonic movie, I am pretty sure Sonic will have more screentime than Godzilla did in that film; my fear is that it will probably be on the same lines as Sonic X where the humans are given more focus than the characters.

31 minutes ago, Ishapar said:

Being a Sonic movie, I am pretty sure Sonic will have more screentime than Godzilla did in that film; my fear is that it will probably be on the same lines as Sonic X where the humans are given more focus than the characters.

Yes, with their own version of Chris. Shcmis Schmorndyke.

On 1/4/2017 at 7:18 PM, WarTraveller said:

Yes, with their own version of Chris. Shcmis Schmorndyke.

No we'll get Shia Labouf xD

Though seriously even though we'll probably get a token human character we can "relate" to I can only hope and think he or she won't be as bad as Chris, I mean considering Chris Thorndyke that can't be physically possible right? If it's just a little better then the Fan Film we got then we should be okay at least.

On a side note we did get a recent Godzilla movie months ago, though you can talk more about that on the Tokusatsu and Kaiju Topic guys *wink wink hint hint*

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Agh, I don't know how to feel now. With Sony it was obviously 'do not like or want cause smurfs cash grab emoji movies and the whatnot' but now I don't know. Blur studios does all the halo 2A and halo wars cinematics, but halo is much different than sonic and live action/cgi is still a huge part of it, as well as it being paramount.

16 minutes ago, F07E said:

Agh, I don't know how to feel now. With Sony it was obviously 'do not like or want cause smurfs cash grab emoji movies and the whatnot' but now I don't know. Blur studios does all the halo 2A and halo wars cinematics, but halo is much different than sonic and live action/cgi is still a huge part of it, as well as it being paramount.

Just remember Paramount did the SpongeBob movies, Kung-Fu Panda, Sherk, etc.

Yeah some of those were with DreamWorks but they know what they are doing at least

• 4 months later...

The upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie has gotten a 2019 release date

The upcoming film based on the SEGA video game character Sonic the Hedgehog has been given a 2019 release date, according to THR. The Sonic film will be produced by Neal H. Moritz and Deadpool director Tim Miller will executive produce with Toby Ascher. Dimitri Johnson and Dan Jevons will co-produce. The film will appear in theaters on November 15, 2019 and will be directed by Jeff Fowler (Gopher Broke)

Source

• Like 1

SEGA and Paramount finalize deal for Sonic the Hedgehog film

Just yesterday, we learned that the Sonic the Hedgehog film will open in theaters on November 15, 2019. Now, SEGA of America has announced it has reached a final agreement with Paramount Pictures to co-produce the movie.
This move represents an important next-step in the expansion of the Sonic the Hedgehog IP, bringing the character to new audiences globally. As part of the IP strategy for Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA Group has been working to expand this character beyond the video game market to become an entertainment franchise. Recently, Sonic has appeared as an animated character on television, consumer products, console and mobile games, and more.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/925139-sega-and-paramount-finalize-deal-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-film#RBCbvp0YH38weuMc.99

2 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Just yesterday, we learned that the Sonic the Hedgehog film will open in theaters on November 15, 2019. Now, SEGA of America has announced it has reached a final agreement with Paramount Pictures to co-produce the movie.
This move represents an important next-step in the expansion of the Sonic the Hedgehog IP, bringing the character to new audiences globally. As part of the IP strategy for Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA Group has been working to expand this character beyond the video game market to become an entertainment franchise. Recently, Sonic has appeared as an animated character on television, consumer products, console and mobile games, and more.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/925139-sega-and-paramount-finalize-deal-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-film#RBCbvp0YH38weuMc.99

I doubt the ffs would be apart of this movie. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Yes...recently....*Looks at all the comics and TV shows that have come out since 1993^

Perhaps we will finally see something to this Sonic Movie, I'm not gonna hold my breath as it's been in the works for years now. I mean heck is the movie even being filmed right now? I mean November of next year can come by a lot sooner that you think, but who knows maybe it will come out on that date. It's right near my next birthday too so if it's true guess what I'll be doing then :P

On 2/22/2018 at 6:46 PM, Akessel92 said:

I doubt the ffs would be apart of this movie. 

I know we'd all love for them to re-appear in the film but still I do doubt that myself, honestly I just want it to be a good film before anything else with or without our favorite Freedom Fighters. Granted I prefer it with them if only to bring a sort of resurgence to a more SoA Canon, but as always let us await to see what sort of premise and trailer this film will have before we make any calls on it.

• 1 month later...

Multiple long-awaited projects are now nearing production, including the "Terminator" reboot, directed by "Deadpool's" Tim Miller and produced by James Cameron. (Fox is co-financing the movie and releasing internationally.) Another important effort is the studio's computer-animated and live-action hybrid "Sonic the Hedgehog," produced by Neal Mortiz, which was previously set up at Sony. Gianopulos bought the Sega video game adaptation after seeing early footage that previewed the film's tone and humor.

source

1 hour ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Gianopulos bought the Sega video game adaptation after seeing early footage that previewed the film's tone and humor

I'm not all that sure that's a good thing or a bad thing. Depends on the quality and the tone of the humour, seemingly. I guess that at least proves it won't be totally dark and will have some comedic elements...though as with Forces that wasn't a massive stretch of logic to begin with. 

• 1 month later...