1 hour ago, GamemasterAnthony said:

*looks up Sonic Eraser*

*realizes that it's Columns with a rebranding*

Not sure what I expected, honestly.

There were a lot of games like that in the past. A lot of odd, experimental games that SEGA tried, clearly thinking they could put Sonic in anything and it would sell. A lesson they've seemingly managed to learn over the years is that they...can't.

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its official! i have graduated! 

It usually got me in trouble in college. People don’t like it when you can transcend ephemeral buzzwords and speak for yourself. XP Metal Gear Solid Five’s main theme basically speaks incredibly

My sister always makes the best birthday cards.

Posted Images

On 8/12/2016 at 11:58 AM, F07E said:

Once upon a yesteryear, one of the most exciting things was when a child's parents would scrape enough money together to buy a treat from a fast food joint. naturally this was actually because they wanted us to shut our collective traps and really didn't feel like cooking, but never the less it was always an adventure, because for when this rare occurance would occur we would be gifted a tiny little treat in the form of a fancy piece of plastic. Sometimes it would be garbage not even fit for a kinder surprise egg, others it would be something super kickin like a bionicle matoran or a semi decent action figure, and once in a blue moon it would be something so inconceivable our dumb-as-rocks minds would lose their collective nonsense over, it would be this:

IMG_8093.JPG

I owned the shadow tails and sonic drift ones.

Poor, poor Amy... she got left out in the cold. And even Knuckles... He didn't even get coloured.... How bad is it when the soccer ball gets the paint and the character doesn't?

55 minutes ago, Prince By-Tor said:

Poor, poor Amy... she got left out in the cold. And even Knuckles... He didn't even get coloured.... How bad is it when the soccer ball gets the paint and the character doesn't?

never fear! thanks to corporations realizing they could make their cheap toys cheaper, they just used stickers for the next series!!!

173976740_2a18924163_o.jpg

can't find a decent picture that has the entire collection, there was an amy and rouge one I believe as well as the shadow and omega one I have.

What do you guys think? Do you think this is good idea or a bad one, and why? Do you think the political messages will be strong and honest, or will it pander to Asian culture without really challenging some it's big issues like mass-censorship, gendercide, Tiemen, and the massive amounts of human rights violations? After all, this guy in the story is made by the government who does this

On 8/22/2016 at 2:40 PM, TheRedStranger said:

What do you guys think? Do you think this is good idea or a bad one, and why? Do you think the political messages will be strong and honest, or will it pander to Asian culture without really challenging some it's big issues like mass-censorship, gendercide, Tiemen, and the massive amounts of human rights violations? After all, this guy in the story is made by the government who does this

And here I thought DC wasn't going to follow with the crap Marvel has been doing, I guess not. The comic community is not going to like this one iota. It would be better to create new politically correct superheroes rather than gutting and mangling classics and turning them into politically correct quota machines. And to do it to Superman of all superheroes.... I believe the main reason they don't just create new ones is that they'd suck. I see DC doing a 180 on this soon as their sales plummet; first the New 52 and now this tripe...

46 minutes ago, Prince By-Tor said:

I see DC doing a 180 on this soon as their sales plummet; first the New 52 and now this tripe...

Personally...I liked Asian Superman when his named was Goku...

Basically the story of Wu-kong is the story of Goku (and Goku stole from Superman in his origin so he basically he is the Japanese spin on a Krytonian (a Sayin).

_

I don't think they will take risks with this story personally for fear of backlash; I would really love to see it though. 

The issue is the Chinese Government and how it uses "Soft power" to coerce foreign artists. For example, Sony itself was scared to anger the CCP with even showing parts of one of their movies that were pretty petty (The Great Wall being damaged or having a CIA agent blame their government in a joke in the comedy Pixels). Even the American version of this film was censored to better the chances that the CCP would allow it to be aired on their fixed limited yearly list of foreign films accept in the country. DC wants to stay in the good graces of the government-controled "cash-cow" that is the Chinese market and this comic getting "political" (not saying what they want DC to say) could get DC in trouble when it comes to getting this in print in China or could affect any future movie deals with their Government-regulated studios and theaters. The problem is that you have to deal with dictatorial meddling of The Poltiburo Standing Committee to reach Chinese consumers (that means you have to compromise your art to their vision via censorship or make a deal way out of free-expression's favor in the pursuit of a quick buck). So, overall, this Taiwanese writer is in a sticky circumstance (by the way, Taiwan is historically the old republic of China that modern Communist China wants subsume to "unify" all of China). This poor guy could be vilified one side for not writing truthfully as to what would happen if the CCP had a superman and the means they would go about to get one (again...remember the bloodshed of Tienanmen Square; imagine if they had a superman instead of tanks). On the other side he has to deal with making a cheap "Shan Zhai" of an character loved by generations who could never replace Clark Kent. And on a third side he has to deal with greedy producers that would prefer him to whitewash the artistic impact this story could have for fear of reprisal from the Chinese Government. Either way, I don't think the human rights issues the Chinese suffer under or the message of liberty Superman is meant to uphold will be glorified in this work. If he takes the risk and makes the right choice to show what would actually happen...then he is going to get flak for it (especially regrettably because of his nationality). It's a case of persecuted if you do, or morally damned if you don't. :( I would hate to be in his shoes...

Yes, you could say a lot with the idea, I think - but "killing" Superman to do this is stupid and squandering so much narrative potential. If I had my way (CCP and producers both be damned) I would keep Superman alive and have this guy as well, just the same way China knocks us off in several real-world products. I would actually have a contrast of the American Dream of Jefferson encapsulated by Kent and the "China Dream" of Mao, ol' "Ha-ha" Jong (kudos for all of you who just laughed at this - you are officially cultured) , and "president" Xi Jing PIng. I would love to write this collectivist character actually alongside the more individualist and Judeo-Christian Clark Kent. It's a philosophical and subtexual goldmine!  Like when Frank Miller showed the possible problems with Kent through The Dark Knight Returns I would show the evils of the Chinese government through a similar story, perhaps I would even add Batman to be the dark cynical whisper of conscious in this kid's brain: "In the end...you know you are actually a pawn." This could basically end up Tom Clancy meets Batman & Superman.

So how would you guys write this given what you have learned about the CCP?

19 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

So how would you guys write this given what you have learned about the CCP?

Well if I was in charge of the Superman comics I wouldn't have killed him off for the 107th time in the first place. It's beyond done at this point.

As for the comic itself...I honestly couldn't tell you. It really is a no-win situation; do it right and you'll get scorn from your own people and government (who will probably - and happily - drag you away to a slave mine in the middle of the night), or pander to your people, abandon one's morals and piss off pretty much every comic enthusiast in the Western world. And probably get screwed over by DC either way, because it's freaking DC. And if there's no true positive to a certain action, then what's the bloody point of that action?

I'd like my presumed reaction to be giving up, moving to America and seeing if I could write a better story about blue hedgehogs than a certain Mr Flynn could. But even outside of the scenario, that's far from possible. You'd think most creative-media-creating companies like DC wouldn't want to work with such a vast, creativity-controlling country (this is, after all, the country that banned time travel in all its media to stop people remembering China's past and get them to only focus on the present. Hmm). But, you know, one of the largest populations in any country in the world, loads of potential customers and loads of potential cash. As an executive you can't exactly turn that down even if you HAVE a soul.

Yeah I knew about this for awhile, when I heard there was going to be a Chinese Superman it seems like 2 steps forward with DC Rebirth and 2 steps back...however you guys DO realize that Superman is alive right? As in the Original Superman from before The New 52, the Superman that got killed off was the New 52 Superman so you will be having both Supermen. So I'm not mad about this actually, though I can imagine that his story won't be great...or it COULD possibly be a great story, showing China's Corrupt Government by using it's own Super Heroes as pawns, possibly giving a Cold War vibe in the DC Comic Universe, China has it's own Superman...and other countries in DC are going to try and follow suit. The only thing that matters is what this kid will do, will he be a loyal sheep to China or be the Superman he needs to be for his people? It would be insane to see a Chinese Superman calling out his government and asking for democracy, I would pay to see that...though considering how controversial that would be I doubt they have the balls to do that. Cold War vibe...oh my gosh China in DC is only this strong due to Dr. Manhattan somehow, think about it he's trying to recreate how his world was like in Watchmen, after all it is shown that he's somehow manipulating the DC Universe, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case but instead using China rather then Russia, now that would be something.

http://ask-gamer-sally.tumblr.com/post/107557737462/i-am-so-sorry

This has nothing to do with the conversation at hand, but it's too funny not to read. xD

• Like 1

http://www.sonicretro.org/2016/08/sonic-hedgehog-4-island-finally-name/

Welcome to Mirage Island! Really didn't expect this and I wasn't sure if where to post this as making a topic solely for it would be too much but yeah here you go!

...I'll miss Gene Wilder, not too familiar with his works other then Willy Wonka and Young Frankenstein but the man did look like he lived a full life, may he bring Pure Imagination for others for generations to come with his performances in such classic films.

41 minutes ago, Mike Arcade said:

Welcome to Mirage Island! Really didn't expect this and I wasn't sure if where to post this as making a topic solely for it would be too much but yeah here you go!

Considering its promises of "UBER CLASSIC HEDGEHOG DELIGHT" were pretty much an overly-fake vision from the start, it seems only fitting to me.

6 minutes ago, WarTraveller said:

Considering its promises of "UBER CLASSIC HEDGEHOG DELIGHT" were pretty much an overly-fake vision from the start, it seems only fitting to me.

Well I wouldn't write it off completely Traveller, I always figured 4 took place on South Island or Westside Island honestly, but it's nice to see fans give a name to a location that people generally look over, the fact they wrote a background and document to make it's identity as official as possible is really touching to me. They made lore for it and have it be the island where Never Lake is, it's simply amazing to the dedication they went to do this. This falls in line to what we like to do overall, I commend them on their actions, Mirage Island is it! :)

• Like 1
Just now, Mike Arcade said:

Well I wouldn't write it off completely Traveller, I always figured 4 took place on South Island or Westside Island honestly, but it's nice to see fans give a name to a location that people generally look over, the fact they wrote a background and document to make it's identity as official as possible is really touching to me. They made lore for it and have it be the island where Never Lake is, it's simply amazing to the dedication they went to do this. This falls in line to what we like to do overall, I commend them on their actions, Mirage Island is it! :)

I'm not saying they're wrong or I dislike the name. It's nice we're getting some freaking LORE for a change in this franchise, that's a very good thing. I'm just saying that, owing to just how much of a crutch nostalgia was to Sonic 4, I found it quite apt.

Yeah Sega does tend to rely way too much on Nostalgia for Sonic nowadays, however the Lore for Mirage Island is a great callback to previous lore of the Genesis Games in the Japanese Manuals, which is what's lacking in the recent games as previous locations (Planet Wisp, Lost Hex) is very lacking. While I know Sonic Mania is going to be good I do hope they have some good lore with it, I mean that would be a very well added bonus.

15 minutes ago, Mike Arcade said:

While I know Sonic Mania is going to be good I do hope they have some good lore with it, I mean that would be a very well added bonus.

I don't understand that much. I mean, they got it right with Unleashed and its various countries. Why did they just drop all that?

1 hour ago, WarTraveller said:

I don't understand that much. I mean, they got it right with Unleashed and its various countries. Why did they just drop all that?

I can only think of two reasons, the first being that the whole Werehog side left a bad aftertaste on good ideas, or because revealing so much of the world at once limited their potential to create new zones and tell different and original stories not constrained to that which came before. 

Just now, F07E said:

I can only think of two reasons, the first being that the whole Werehog side left a bad aftertaste on good ideas, or because revealing so much of the world at once limited their potential to create new zones and tell different and original stories not constrained to that which came before. 

So now all we have for a world...is a green field in the middle of god knows where. Whoopee.

8 minutes ago, WarTraveller said:

So now all we have for a world...is a green field in the middle of god knows where. Whoopee.

I was thinking more along the lines of route 99, city escape, angel island, or even desert ruins and babylon garden. When everyone is privy to the world it becomes much harder to introduce newer ideas without the risk of contradicting the established norm through accidental means. (though the best explanation for every green hill I can come up with is that that's where sonic resides I guess)

So they established continents which is nice, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have other locations, heck ALL of the Classic Era games take place on Islands, same goes for Advance and Rush. Heck they had a decent map in Sonic Adventure 2 on how a good chunk of the world is like, same goes for Advance 2 which who knows what that is. Doesn't mean it'll stop them from making other places, doesn't stop them making different worlds either. XP

My guess is they didn't want to make anything complicated after Unleashed and before that 2006 so they stopped having deep lore and just have Wisps and Zeti without any explanation.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Mike Arcade said:

My guess is they wanted to make anything complicated after Unleashed and before that 2006 so they stopped having deep lore and just have Wisps and Zeti without any explanation.

But what's the point? How can you care about these characters they're adding in if they don't feel like they belong to a living, breathing world, espeically if they're just added into the "lore" whenever it suits the game at hand. I'd rather have the deep lore than this cut-and-paste character thing they have going on. I personally find the Wisps an obnoxious gimmick (and they WERE introduced and given a backstory) and the Zeti...oh boy, the Zeti.

I know, hopefully Project 2017 will change things, however no matter how that turns out at least we the fans can carry on the spirit and lore of Sonic, SatAM, and Mobius, in our own way. :)

Wisps I didn't mind too much, they made no sense in Lost World the Zeti are the most one note and two dimensional characters I have seen in Sonic, and that's saying something, not to say there couldn't have been something such as Zavok being an apprentice to that Old Zeti but still they were horribly botched. :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"On March 4, 2015, Deadline.com reported that MGM had re-acquired the rights to produce a new film based on the original novel Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. The film will be produced by the team of Daniel Bobker and Ehren Kruger, with screenplay by Ice Age series writer Michael Berg.[34] It is planned as a CGI/live action hybrid "à la The Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks", and will be "an origin story in which an imperiled mouse protagonist befriends a comical crew of lab rats as they turn hyper-intelligent. They escape a secret laboratory and become the great minds of vermin civilization, forced to outwit the humans hot on their tails."[2] The studio plans to turn the novel into a family franchise."

Oh God... no.... :(

53 minutes ago, Prince By-Tor said:

"On March 4, 2015, Deadline.com reported that MGM had re-acquired the rights to produce a new film based on the original novel Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. The film will be produced by the team of Daniel Bobker and Ehren Kruger, with screenplay by Ice Age series writer Michael Berg.[34] It is planned as a CGI/live action hybrid "à la The Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks", and will be "an origin story in which an imperiled mouse protagonist befriends a comical crew of lab rats as they turn hyper-intelligent. They escape a secret laboratory and become the great minds of vermin civilization, forced to outwit the humans hot on their tails."[2] The studio plans to turn the novel into a family franchise."

Oh God... no.... :(

And I thought the "squeal" was wretched...