New Games/Video Gaming News

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Blizzard announces ‘Diablo II’ remaster for PC and consoles

The remake is dubbed Diablo II: Resurrected, and will release later this year. A firm release date has not been announced.

Diablo II: Resurrected will retain the original game’s play style, but will introduce enhanced graphics, including up to Ultra High Definition 4K (2160p) support on PC. Resurrected will include the base game and its expansion, Lord Of Destruction.

The game will release on PC – and for the first time, consoles including the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch. Cross-progression support is also being planned.

No release date set for Diablo 4 yet; probably won't be released in 2021.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this belongs here or in Sega News, but...

JioGames will bring popular SEGA Corporation titles to India [NewsBytes]

Home-grown telecom provider Reliance Jio has partnered with popular Japanese game developer and publisher SEGA Corporation. The partnership will make the latter's popular game titles available on the JioGames Store.

The partnership was confirmed by SEGA in Japan last week. For starters, iconic titles such as Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Streets of Rage 3 will be made available to Indian audiences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I like the concept of it. Right now with the chip shortage and the near impossibility of getting a good GPU at a reasonable price, something like this should be great. Plus with people being disappointed with Nintendo for not making a Switch Pro (i have several theories as to why they haven't... yet) this could be something great for not only PC users but it could give Nintendo a kick it so desperately needs. The fact it's moddable too will probably be a big selling point.

However, Valve has a very poor track record when it comes to making and selling hardware. It almost feels like everyone forgot about how mismanaged the controller was, the utter failure of the Steam Link, and the botched marketting of the Steam Machines. Everyone thinks this will be different but it's got a lot of work to do

I want to see how it runs first and how well it can play more intensive games Like GTA V, RDR2, Crysis, No Man's Sky, etc. Plus how well it will handle online gaming.

And you know someone is gonna buy the $650, 512gb one just to play Team Fortress 2

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This report (from earlier this month) might be related...

New Report Reveals Many Ubisoft Employees Unhappy With How Leadership Handled 'Me Too' [Game Informer]

After numerous reports surfaced regarding abuse, misconduct, and power corruption leading to several high-profile execs being fired, the investigations into the underbelly of this studio's culture continue. Investigations revealed that over 25 percent of employees experienced, or witnessed, workplace misconduct. While several notable executive roles became vacant due to these investigations, including Ashraf Ismail, Tommy Francois, and Maxime Beland, a new report shares that many employees feel unheard after numerous managers that were reported for misconduct remain in their leadership positions. 

Why am I just now discovering this?

Stray - Official Gameplay & Release Window Trailer [IGN]

At last, we got a meaty new trailer for Stray, the upcoming PlayStation and PC game about a lost cat wandering a city of strange, human-like machines, including some very cute cat interactions, but the most important bit is that Stray finally has a release window of early 2022.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll believe it when I see it...

Fallout 1 Is Getting a Remake

Recently a new project has begun attempting to recreate Fallout 1 in the engine of Fallout 4. In this video we take an in depth look at the ambitious Fallout Vault 13, but I also gives updates on the Fallout 2, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas

Here's an old fan project that never came to fruition...

From NewFallout.com:

This remake is not by Bethesda, but by some dedicated fans who are creating a New Vegas MOD to allow us to experience the classics in 3D. An admirable effort if you ask me, even though they are working very slow and they might never finish the project, which would be a shame.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MoKat said:

I'll believe it when I see it...

Fallout 1 Is Getting a Remake

Here's an old fan project that never came to fruition...

From NewFallout.com:

It's been quite some time since I played FO1, but a lot of the mechanics of the game were basically like a D&D like aspect where sometimes you attack and sometimes you dont. Plus I remember a ton of open spaces between a lot of the locations with either nothing there or of little interest.

It would be interesting to see how it plays if it does happen, but I know there's a small subsection of the Fallout fandom who hates everything Fallout since Bethesda took over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

I know there's a small subsection of the Fallout fandom who hates everything Fallout since Bethesda took over.

Yeah, well, haters gonna hate no matter what :P

I still have Fallout 1 & 2 (by Interplay, for Windows 95 :D ); might be fun to see if I can get them to run in Win10 in XP mode. Fallout 1 had a nice exploit that's great for speed runs ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

19 Minutes of Elden Ring Gameplay Preview [GameSpot]

And some members of the Souls community share their experiences with the Network Test:

A Magical First Playthrough of ELDEN RING [VaatiVidya ~ 30 min.]

I played Elden Ring for 30 hours... my thoughts [Iron Pineapple - 25 min.]

Elden Ring - Gameplay Impressions & Breakdown of New Mechanics [Fighting Cowboy ~ 30 min.]

11 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Investors are now calling for Kotick's resignation.

At this point, I think it's too late for Activision-Blizzard

I would hate for hundreds to loose their jobs at the altar of my politics or cultural  opinions about this company. I will be honest, I don’t like that company for various reasons. Part of me would love to see it explode.  But honestly, I am not a fan of witch hunts either. For one, someone’s child needs to eat and someone needs a retirement.  If these allegations cannot be proved in civil court or criminal court, then it’s going to be more a problem to react to this without that information. This guy may truly well indeed be a scum bag with an army of misogynistic creeps, but I have the common sense to realize how wretched accusations like this can be to innocent people and how they cause more pain for people. Cancel culture needs to die, and must start with us. If not any individual is able to get non-personed by the overweeningly apathetic coward-collective that is the internet. It certainly won’t help or empower any victims. No one even remembers the Metoo# people. The hysteria over that died as soon as It backfired on perverts like Biden, Franken, Cuomo, Clinton…etcetera.  It’s never about people like me, who have been sexually harassed before. 

If there is indeed any sexual violence in that corporation, then people need to not hide behind blue-haired Twitter weirdos and actually confront it in the court of law. Justice and forensics matter, not mean tweets. And everyone is innocent until proven guilty, or you are one step away from gulags and witch trials. Activision needs a full forensic cavity search and make it a brutal one.m, just to keep them tender to the issue.  But, typically if that does not happen, and one or two guys get non-personed without much legal activity, then you must realize this was never about Justice…it was about a power play, intrigue. 

Either way, I hope anyone hurt, finds peace and release from this pain. That is all that matters, what I want from it be damned. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, TheRedStranger said:

Part of me would love to see it explode.  But honestly, I am not a fan of witch hunts either.

I kinda feel the same way.

Here's the latest dirt on the Activision saga...

Activision Blizzard CEO's duty to disclose sexual misconduct claims falls into legal 'gray area,' expert says [Yahoo! Finance]

On Wednesday, a group of Activision Blizzard (ATVI) shareholders joined a chorus seeking to oust longtime CEO Bobby Kotick after The Wall Street Journal reported that he knew of sexual harassment and rape claims at the gaming giant but failed to report some of them to the board.

The outcry has raised questions about Kotick's duty to disclose what he knew about sexual misconduct allegations within the video gaming company. Frustrations over the matter have been escalating since August when California's Department of Fair Employment and Housing sued Activision, alleging that female employees were subjected to sexual harassment and unequal pay.

That was Nov. 17th, btw

“Generally, the CEO, CFO, anyone at that level, does have a fiduciary responsibility, if something comes to their attention — whether it's embezzlement or sexual harassment, or whatever it might be — to inform the board,” Jeffrey Cramer, senior managing director at Guidepost Solutions, and former federal prosecutor, told Yahoo Finance.

No argument here.

The Journal reported Monday that Kotick, who's also a board member, knew but failed to tell the rest of the board about the alleged rape of a female employee of Activision’s subsidiary, Sledgehammer Games, by her male supervisor. Internal documents, the Journal's report states, show Kotick held back the extent of what he knew about complaints “of employee misconduct in many parts of the company.”

The rape complaint, which was reportedly settled out of court without alerting the board, adds to federal regulatory investigations into the company's handling of misconduct. 

On Tuesday, Activision's board released a statement in support of Kotick. "The Board remains confident that Bobby Kotick appropriately addressed workplace issues brought to his attention," the statement read.

I'm not surprised.

“The board will do a thorough review, and then once the board has more information," Cramer said, "that position might change."

I'll believe it when I see it.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, MoKat said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

It would be a tragedy to see so many people loose jobs. But if there working conditions are horrible, it’s quite the zugzwang. Have you noticed no one reaches out to the actual potential victims of these situations? They politicize it, affirm their confirmation bias like vultures feeding on corpses, then leave the bones of innocent people in the firing line licked clean. 

The best outcome is for the company to reform. I certainly won’t put stock in them until this gets cleared out. And I am no fan of their products really…But companies like Twitter, YouTube, Meta, are kind of stuck on the crossfires of our culture wars. And we need to address that if we want to be genuinely debasing of cancel culture.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:03 AM, TheRedStranger said:

Have you noticed no one reaches out to the actual potential victims of these situations? They politicize it, affirm their confirmation bias like vultures feeding on corpses, then leave the bones of innocent people in the firing line licked clean. 

Yes, and it disgusts me.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:03 AM, TheRedStranger said:

But companies like Twitter, YouTube, Meta, are kind of stuck on the crossfires of our culture wars. And we need to address that if we want to be genuinely debasing of cancel culture.

I agree. Dosen't help that Big Tech tends to fuel the cancel culture flames though.

• 2 weeks later...

Stolen Source Code - Myth of Empires and Ark: Survival Evolved [Upper Echelon Gamers ~12 min.] (Please pardon the SurfShark ad :P)

Myth of Empires is a rising survival sandbox title that was gaining traction, and players by the day. However... in the competitive world of gaming, things are not always predictable and as the game began to thrive, it was removed from steam by a competitor who claims their source code was stolen.

The source code for Ark Survival Evolved was allegedly stolen and repurposed into what we see now as a new game entirely... and it is also alleged that previous employees of Snail Games made this possible through what can only be described as corporate espionage. Lets dig in.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Myth's UI was originally from Ark.

(Video also contains a nice primer for finding stuff on LinkedIn)

How Roblox Is Exploiting Young Game Developers

With Roblox Corporation now being valued at more than $45 billion, we ask whether the kids making the vast majority of its content are being taken advantage of?

The answer looks like "yes" to me.

BTW, EuroGamer published an article about this video - Roblox "exploiting" young game developers, new investigation reports

IGN Southeast Asia - Roblox Remains Vague on Alleged Abuse of Young Video Game Developers and Player Base

IGN NA: *crickets*

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MoKat said:

IGN NA: *crickets*

If it does not involve a participation-trophy victim-saint, like some neck ears gamer-guy in a tacky Goodwill dress, they are not interested. There are real world systemic issues in gaming culture, like exploration of workers and children online, but it gets masked with the banal psudeo-morality of intersectionalism. It’s easy to wear, type, or blab a cliche like “Be Kind” making kindness in a culture is much more thankless and difficult. Trust me, I have been in non-profit work since 14. No one like that cares when you actually do something, because they are part of the problem, not the solution.

When you don’t get praise for pointing something out by the establishment, perhaps given scorn, you are probably doing something right.

• Like 2