About a month ago, I hung out a sticky fly trap outside my door to deal with some pesky flies.  When returning home the following day, I notice a songbird was caught in the trap.  I freed it and had to clean the bird a couple times with soup and tend to a wounded claw.  I tried to get it to fly, but each time the bird couldn't fly properly.  I spent most of the day cleaning and taking care of the bird and trying to get it to fly; but eventually that bird grew comfortable perching on my shoulders.  I ended up walking outside for an hour with the bird perched on my shoulder.  When I entered a wooded section, the bird finally flew off, and I was pleased to see it could fly properly again.  Certainly wasn't a pet, but definately a blessing God allowed me to enjoy!

9 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

Well, I have a rabbit named Smudge. A fairly big rabbit, scared of everything, loves his treats and incredibly fluffy. But we have to put him up to adoption because of the fact I'm moving house.

Too bad.  Are you allowed to have any other pets?

Just now, Ishapar said:

Too bad.  Are you allowed to have any other pets?

Nah. I tend to have bad luck with animals. Cats and fish in particular. The former instinctively hate me, the latter die within a week.

Yeah, cat's can have an attitude problem...and fish just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

You could pick up a snake or gecko.  Scorpion?  Chipmunk?  Grizzly bear?  Hedgehog?

Just now, Ishapar said:

Yeah, cat's can have an attitude problem...and fish just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

You could pick up a snake or gecko.  Scorpion?  Chipmunk?  Grizzly bear?  Hedgehog?

Eh, depends if the others in the new place want to get a pet as well. My sister wants a small dog. Which isn't good, 'cause I hate dogs.

Just now, Ishapar said:

Yeah, especially small ones.  They never know when to SHUT UP!

Screw 'em! Screw 'em all!

For the record, I have had to live with a small dog in my old place, whining and howling without fail at 11AM, for the last sixteen years.

I hope you don't have to deal with that anymore.  Whenever I see one of those yippy dogs, I just want to either give them a good kick or chase them out of the house.  No need to be an indoor pet if you can't learn to respect people.

Just now, Ishapar said:

I hope you don't have to deal with that anymore.  Whenever I see one of those yippy dogs, I just want to either give them a good kick or chase them out of the house.  No need to be an indoor pet if you can't learn to respect people.

I especially wanted to kick those little yippy gits, let me tell ya. Couldn't, though. Obviously. But the problem is that dogs just cannot be avoided. At all.

Where I live, I have two black labs that the farmer owns.  I have worked with them before on the farm, and I enjoy taking walks with them through the property.  Good dogs, and they actually listen when you tell them no!

1 minute ago, Ishapar said:

Where I live, I have two black labs that the farmer owns.  I have worked with them before on the farm, and I enjoy taking walks with them through the property.  Good dogs, and they actually listen when you tell them no!

Oh I wish there were more dogs like that.

There are...you just need the right people to train the dogs properly.  In this situation, the farmer allows the dogs to follow him all over the farm, but he has trained them to understand certain words so that they will not do certain things.  They don't always listen, but they never cause too much trouble.  The one lab is only a year old, and his problem was his energy and his tendency to jump and bite your hands because he thinks you are playing (puppy instincts).  One day, the lab tried to bite again, so I grabbed the lab and placed him in a firm headlock and repeatedly told him no in a firm voice.  I wouldn't let him budge until he settled and understand my actions and words.  Since then, he has never tried to bite me unless I choose to play with him, and even then he is cautious to not try to bite me.  It takes patience and firmness to make a good dog, but it works in the end. 

And to think it's not even my dog.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For a few years, I've had a pair of medium-large dogs. Both were strays.

Sandy looked kinda like a "Carolina Dog" or "Pariah Dog", and it's one of her awesome yellow eyes that makes my avatar. Unfortunately, she died last August, on the same day my grandpa had a 3rd stroke. She never did like being hugged, but was otherwise very affectionate and often rather playful. She died in her sleep, presumably of old age. She was incredibly smart and attentive, learning new stuff rather quickly (be it a new good behavior or what not to do).

My other dog, Jerry (named after Jerry Lee from the movie K-9) seems to be a long-haired German Shepherd. He's one of those "best friends to only me" dogs who will try to take your hand off if you dare touch him without his permission. He's a very good guard dog, was a loyal companion to Sandy, and is my best buddy. He lets me hug him when I'm feeling down, and enjoys a good belly rub from time to time. He's very smart, but also very stubborn. With proper motivation, he'll learn new stuff quickly. But he's smart enough to want to be consistently paid for doing something he doesn't normally do. His "I only like my family" attitude has earned him the nickname "Cujo" by some of those who've tried approaching him when I wasn't around.

Sandy: RIP...

12250195163700.jpg.258a3883f81c302e8994b371495af862.jpg

Jerry:

01150295093600.jpg.90768c3c970198e8ed6b2526f027e087.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

IMG_20170703_210543.thumb.jpg.d5437c8553bb9abedff600ec245bbf7f.jpg

Just the friendly local neighborhood six toed frost bitten stray cat fingers. No one really knows who owns him as just about everyone's seen him go into multiple houses, but he is older than both my cats as he was an adult way back in 2000. Surprised he's not dead as we didn't see him for the last couple years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...