Archie Favorites

TheRedStranger

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have favorites not favorite

pre-Flynn pre-reboot;

issue 25 and mecha madness 

25 was a good adaptation of sonic cd in the Archie sonic verse. Also the best adaptation of the pre-reboot. Mecha madness was awesome in the sense that it balanced action and drama.

post-Flynn pre-reboot:

173-177

post-reboot:

TBA

20 hours ago, Akessel92 said:

Well I have favorites not favorite

pre-Flynn pre-reboot;

issue 25 and mecha madness 

25 was a good adaptation of sonic cd in the Archie sonic verse. Also the best adaptation of the pre-reboot. Mecha madness was awesome in the sense that it balanced action and drama.

post-Flynn pre-reboot:

173-177

post-reboot:

TBA

Is Mech-madness the one where Sonic is Roboticized?

There is review protential there. So far all our reviews are post reboot.

What's cool about 173-177?

Yeah Mecha Madness is the one where he's Roboticized, which I gotta say would be interesting for a review and I would say it's a favorite of mine in Archie Sonic despite some flaws on how it's overall story arc ended in an issue after the special with how it was handled, but that would be a little snafu compared to how the Special and the issue before it was, which was really good and action packed.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but Endgame isn't really a favorite of mine as how it's all put together is just too distracting and jarring for me, especially since Mecha Madness was quite similar to it in some regards with Sonic being framed for something. However as insane as it is I actually do like The Xorda Story Arc, also known as Sonic Adventure 2.5 XP
I actually like that better then Endgame, and I KNOW that's a big statement, but it's more put together and provides what would be considered a downer ending, but overall a really nice ending. Now EVE 2 parter aside, I also really like Tossed in Space as we get an actual focus on Sonic while also having misadventures in strange new worlds and places, which is quite similar to some stories in Sonic The Comic actually.

The Oriiginal Freedom Fighters was a really interesting but very late addition to the comic as well, introducing a postmortem of predecessors to the Knothole Freedom Fighters, which did freshen out the world about but sadly we're of course never seen again, it felt both like a classic Archie Sonic Pre-Penders issue and pretty close to even a SatAM episode as well.

Lastly for now, I actually really like Sonic Genesis, as eerie as it is both close to the games with some of our favorite SatAM characters it was really interesting to see and read this semi-adaption of Sonic 1 and 2. If you were to ask me the Post-Reboot should have picked up where Sonic Genesis left off but hindsight is 20/20.

Looking at it now, I do have a lot of favorites in Archie Sonic actually, as much as I criticize it and the overall story of Pre-Reboot it does have it's moments, I don't think there's a perfect story within it but still it does have some great bright spots. :)
I'm going to have to look over some of the issues again and see what other favorites I have, I might have a lot more then I realize.

Also Stranger those issues Akessel mentioned are the ones with Knothole's Destruction and Sonic getting the crap kicked out of him, only for them to bounce back and Nicole creating New Mobotropolis.

• 5 years later...
On 8/22/2016 at 1:23 PM, Mike Arcade said:

Endgame isn't really a favorite of mine as how it's all put together is just too distracting and jarring for me

Same here. I think Ken Penders even once admitted (on his messageboard) that project was a big trainwreck.

I enjoyed the Mecha Madness arc a lot more, but there were things about it that really bugged me; many of which pertained to Bunnie.

6 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

So, do you have a favorite issue in Archie Sonic?

It's been so long since I last read them, I'd have to go back & re-read them before I can settle on a favorite issue or storyline.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MoKat said:

Same here. I think Ken Penders even once admitted (on his messageboard) that project was a big trainwreck.

I enjoyed the Mecha Madness arc a lot more, but there were things about it that really bugged me; many of which pertained to Bunnie.

Really now? I lurked over his forums for years before it got closed down, don't ever remember seeing that. Doesn't sound like him either.

...but Bunnie's quote is what made that moment so hilarious! XD

All jokes aside, it was just fun to see a Roboticized Sonic and Knuckles duking it out.

18 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

I lurked over his forums for years before it got closed down

I was there the whole time ;)

I thought I had archived that thread about Endgame in my Storeroom, but I haven't found it yet.

I did find this tho' (from the "Archie V.s SatAM" thread):

I Always Loved The SatAM Version, But...
Posted by Ken Penders

The one thing just about everyone keeps forgetting is that when the comic first
came out, the early issues were basically a cross between the daily Adventures of
Sonic syndicated series and the ABC-TV SatAM series. Or rather, it was the SatAM
characters featured in stories you'd find in the daily series. Whatever, it was an odd
duck when you think of it, but somehow it worked, at least at first.

I came aboard with #11, and it wasn't long before I became the driving force to push
the comic book into closer alignment with the SatAM series. Once I discovered the
show, around the time we were working on stories for issue #16, I felt that was the
direction we should be going in with the comic series, a decision which both the
editors at Archie and the heads of licensing at Sega concurred with. (In fact, it was
this very decision which prompted Sega to test the waters with Princess Sally. Our
mini-series was a trial run for a possible game and even a cartoon series.)

We basically stayed true to our ties with the SatAM series up until we received word
it was cancelled. At that point, I was informed by then-editor Scott Fulop that if
history was any indication, then Archie's SONIC series was probably a goner within
eight months.

Figuring I had nothing to lose, I suggested we take the comics beyond the SatAM
series, that we give readers a reason to come back month after month, instead of
running in place essentially going nowhere. Since issue #50 seemed so far off at
that time, I wrote up an outline suggesting how the series should proceed,
culminating with Endgame, the final battle between Sonic and Robotnik. I did this
for two reasons, the most important of which was hopefully to convince the
publishers to keep the book going until at least that issue, upon which we could at
least wrap up all the storylines. The other reason was that if we did keep publishing
by some miracle, this would allow us to recast the series into something that wasn't
tied to any particular vision but our own. We dared to think long-term at times, and
we realized that evolution would be much better than maintaining the status quo.

People can argue all they want, but the fact is we're still around, much longer than
anyone ever expected us to last, while who knows how many series have been
launched and cancelled by numerous publishers in the meantime.

One final thought: at this point, if there were to be another Sonic animated series --
or animated film -- chances are it still would be different from the SatAM in a number
of ways, and probably more closely aligned with the Sonic Adventure games. Most
likely Amy Rose would be a featured character, whereas Princess Sally might not
be.

{Edit: It is very possible it was something from one of the on-line chats he used to hold. I don't have any of those in the Storeroom; I'd have to go thru my old personal archives for those.

Edited by MoKat
added comment
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

It’s been quite awhile since we had a good Reminiscing about Archie Sonic, in terms of their best moments. So hey, how about we mention our favorite parts of what is still the longest running Video Game based comic ever.

A favorite part of mine was the ending of a Post-Reboot story, featuring the Pronghorns Cassia and Clove. Specifically, Clove joined Eggman in order for her younger sister Cassia to hopefully be cured of an unknown illness. Apparently the cybernetics keep it at bay, but that’s not gonna help for too much longer apparently.

After a skirmish against Sally and Bunnie, when reporting back to Eggman, he basically states he has no idea how to cure Cassia…and you still have to work for me or else. The end of the issue has Cassia trying to cheer Clove up after the previous fight, all while her older sister is holding back tears, realizing just how screwed they are.

It’s a rather dark ending for the comic at that time, and a really tragic one at that. Although considering the Acorn Kingdom doesn’t seem as bad as it was before the Reboot, why didn’t they try to go to the Kingdom for help? Or GUN for that matter.

That was the one thing I didn’t get, otherwise I remember it being a little arc.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:45 AM, Mike Arcade said:

Although considering the Acorn Kingdom doesn’t seem as bad as it was before the Reboot, why didn’t they try to go to the Kingdom for help? Or GUN for that matter

Good question; I kinda wish Ian Evan had shed a little more light on that before the series ended. I think one of the FFs may have even asked something similar. I'll need to look through those issues again before I can comment further, but Cassia and Clove at least had a compelling reason to work with Eggman in spite of not being completely on board with the way he did things. That made them more memorable that most badniks.

• Like 1