Episode One: Day after Doomsday.

TheRedStranger

Sonic The Hedgehog: Edge of Tomorrow

Day after Doomsday

Episode One -  (“The Day After Doomsday”)

Chapter One: Dawn after Doomsday.

As Knothole celebrated, Sally pondered...

Sally hadn’t slept much that wonderful and rowdy night, but she was restless none the less. As the last of the party goers stumbled to bed, she paced her room back and forth, boots thumping against creaking floorboards. Her mind was racing with her body. Like a pendulum swinging back and forth, her thoughts bounced from one subject to another. She wasn’t sure if it was the heady feeling of victory or the residual energy of the Deep Power Stones, but she was spry and alert as the sunlight broke through the cloudy horizon. She watched the light filter into delicate fractured rays passed the branches of Knothole’s mighty trees. All at once the sunrays danced across the ground, revealing the glassy ice and powdery snow that had fallen the night prior. With that beautiful sight came another racing thought: not one of wonder but an agitating  concern.

Beautiful though this winterscape was, it was extremely early for the first snow. There was a definite imbalance in the world now, thick clouds of chemicals, pollutants, and debris were agitating the atmosphere more than ever. Though the towering Doomsday monolith was now just a smouldering heap of ruin, Sally sensed that the Freedom Fighters had not fully counted the cost of its destruction or the damage it had already done. Like the odd energies of the Power Stones coursing faintly through her veins, still the effects of Doomsday would linger. Perhaps, they were not fully eliminated, and they had celebrated too soon….

Sally gazed down at the palm of her left paw. It shimmered with a ghostly violet glow. The Deep Power Stones’ strange energies still faintly radiated through her fingers, exciting her muscles to motion. She curled her lighted paw into a crackling fist as she thought about Robotnik, all the suffering and filth he left behind.

With the high of victory fading, her next task in life seemed ever daunting. The anguish and malaise the tyrant left behind would remain a menacing legacy, one that would not erode easily by its lonesome. Not only did they have to rid themselves of his remaining forces and free their loved ones from their robotic purgatory, but they needed to clean up and heal Mobius. With a long sigh, she wondered if the world would ever be like it was… before… when she and her friends were only children and carefree.

She slammed her fist into the table with a clenched jaw and a huff. They would have to find a new way to live… make lives for themselves, but how? Like Robotnik’s foul pollution, war and fighting to survive clouded every aspect of their existence to some degree. Now they had the responsibility of cleaning up the lingering aftermath of Robotnik’s foul presence, the task of healing all of Mobius. Yes, healing Mobius, restoring their nation, reclaiming their home of Mobotropolis one street and roboticized Mobian at a time, this would be the only recourse for mending their broken lives. To set their lives back on track after these ten long years, she knew what must come next:

Operation Edge: the next step after defeating Robotnik, the reclamation and revival of all Mobius. They’d been planning it for years, and finally now was the time.

Sally took hold of her cup of coffee and lifted it to her mouth as she walked to the window. Despite her misgivings, a warm smile crept stubbornly along the corner of her lips as she beheld the multitude of denizens in the village. With all of the Freedom Fighter groups gathered and celebrating, Knothole was quite full to bursting with a mishmash, motley crew made up all of the various groups of Freedom Fighters. The once humble and hidden village had transformed into now a noisy, simmering, and chaotic melting-pot of jubilation.  

Sally could clearly see she wasn’t alone in her sleeplessness; despite the cold, inclement weather almost everyone was still wide awake, basking in their hard-won freedom (and a copious helping of fresh snowflakes).

She continued to peer out a frosted window with a small chuckle escaping her lips. Clutching to her cup of robust and black coffee, she calmed to her normally stoic self as she stood quiet and thoughtful. Even with the hordes of Freedom Fighters, Knothole was serene that morning; the forest was covered with a thick and an a almost unnatural blanket of frost and snow, glimmering soft silver light below the dusky sky. It was clear out there, cold, yes, but crystal clear. She decided she couldn't let an opportune moment like this go to waste. Now wasn’t the time to sink into reckless revelry, nor was it time to gripe about the challenges to come; it was time to act, but not impulsively. The Reclamation would have to wait.

The Freedom Fighters had discussed Operation Edge at a great and tiresome length, many moons before Doomsday had even begun construction… they built contingencies upon contingencies. Hours of free time and sleep were spent with Nichole in hand, hunkered over her trusty compuradio, double checking and tinkering with any kinks in essential equipment at Rotor's workshop, or, just like tonight, pacing in deep thought into the morning. Despite her planning, she knew that just running into and occupying Robotropolis was precarious, or, as Sonic so eloquently put it, "mondo-risky." They just needed to make sure they weren’t celebrating too much too soon.

Her eyes fixed on the view outside, she took another sip of her coffee, Sally’s mind whirling around with a million concerns… in mid sip her front door slid open. Seeing a blurry shadow jolt pass the corner of her eye, she gave a short jump, letting her cup slip out of her paws. Instead of the expected crackle of fine crockery there was a swift and sharp cutting sound, like someone swiping a blade through the air.

Oh no… you don’t!

She turned around, fists curled, to find… Sonic. Sally let out an audible sigh of relief as she stayed her fist inches from the blue hedgehog’s face.             

"You almost dropped this," said Sonic with his familiar cocky grin. He downed the remaining coffee then twirled the cup on the tips of two gloved fingers before handing it back to her.

Sally shook her head. "You could've knocked, Sonic! I thought you might be…."

Sonic craned his head and placed his fists firmly on his hips. "Geez, so much for tryin' to lighten the mood. Who else could it’ve been? Robotnik? Snively? The Boogieman?”  He flailed his arms, palms turned upwards. “They’re all ancient history!"

“I…” She rode her paw through her long tresses of auburn hair with a guilty blush of her nose. “I guess you have a point, Sonic. I’m just a tad bit frazzled now, with all that’s been going on.”

Sonic's features shifted from cocky to concerned. "You've not been yourself at the party, you've been so up tight… well, more than usual."

Sally gave Sonic a forced smile. “I’m not sure about that… I just want to make sure that the two of them are finished.”

"I hear ya there Sal." Sonic said, returning the smile. He leaned back against the windowsill next to her.

She knew this was how the hedgehog always coped with anything: with a slack grin and a terribly off beat sense of humor. She wrapped her fingers tight around her cup before walking back to the steaming coffee pot.

"Oh, and thanks for the quick save Sonic. The last thing I want to do this morning is mop up a mess." She leered back at him, unable to suppress an upturn of her lips. "Just knock next time, alright? This is a lady’s residence; I could’ve been… indisposed." She playfully wagged a finger whilst returning with a fresh cup.

Sonic blushed, tapping his foot and riding his paw through his quills. "Um… yeah, my bad, I'm just itchin’ to get to it, ya know? Just tired of only dreamin’ about it; I mean, this is it: we finally won!" He pushed himself off the windowsill and took a step closer to Sally with bright, wide eyes. "Tails - heck even Antoine - is ready. But I wanted to check with you before we get this show on the road… you know, get a quick talk in before we get the ol’ post-mortem on ‘Buttnik."

Sally placed her paw on his forehead, pretending to check for a fever. "That's unlike you, Sonic Hedgehog! I guess you’re already familiar with where we’re going, yes?"

Sonic's ears twitched as she touched him. Her paw was warm and emanated a strange tingling sensation. "Y… yeah, I jus', well, I like to plan things with you."

Sally clicked her tongue and shook her head. "My, my - you really must be sick.."

Sonic grumbled...

Sally took him by the paw, walked over to her old weathered desk and sat down in her creaky chair. The Freedom Fighters didn't have a lot to begin with all those years ago, up until the present most of their acquisitions were either built from scratch, skimmed off Robotnik's factory lines, or were secretly salvaged from some junk heaps - and it showed. Even now she had to plug Nicole into her cobbled-together compradio, just so it could have the processing power to run the special software and interface with  networks. "Nicole," she spoke aloud to the monitor, "show me all the information pertaining to Doomsday Project.”

"Calculating live imagery and recalibrating telemetry for Sky-Spy Beta, Sally."

Top-down, satellite imagery flickered on screen. What remained of Doomsday flickered onto the monitor. The sight was wretched, a gaping crater filled with mangled metal, demolished concrete and many, many charred remains of obliterated bots, vehicles, and machines. Chains of puffing smoke belched sporadically out of the scorched crater and clouded parts of the view. Sally did her best to ignore the horror of the sight and continued, "Focus on the southeastern subsection, Nicole..."

The video-feed zoomed into the bottom right of the screen, focusing in on the giant smoke-laden crater. In the broiling haze and smog, both Sonic and Sally could spot out subtle pinpricks of spot fires, the skewed silhouettes of mangled machines, vehicles, and structures now barely recognizable. Metal catwalks, ventilation, and ruptured pipes spiraled down into a scorched, cavernous pit, revealing much more indistinct obscured outlines in the  burnt and abominable heap rubble.

A sharp, incredulous whistle sounded behind Sally's ear. "What a mess..." Sonic murmured in disdain. 

"Definitely," grumbled Sally with equal distaste. "That was quite the hideous contraption. It looks more cheery than ever now, doesn't it?"

"Oh yeah..." Sonic snarked alongside her. "Perfect place for a summer home. It's gotta be the creepiest contraption that creep's ever built.

"That’s why we have to make sure he’s gone. Remember Maga? I want this whole place scoured, every bolt and bot." She pressed her index on the screen and circled the area with a determined, down-turned glower.

"That's the thing, Sal...."  He scratched at his quills, confused. "Last time I checked, I thought it was gone. To think it had disappeared one second an' came back the next... How the heck does that work?"

Sally typed, and scanned section after section with careful eyes as she spoke. "The Deep Power stones seem to be the wildcard of quantum mechanics, much like our time-travel fiasco. Remember that?"

Sonic rubbed his temples with a groan. "Oh man...don't remind me; I'm already startin' ta get a head ache thinkin' about it..." 

Sally suppressed a giggle. "Long story short: even I'm not entirely quite sure, Sonic. Everything happened so fast; it's hard to tell. It seemed to phase in and out of existence. Rotor and I have to go there and get some readings before we have a solid answer..."I have some hypotheses I hope to share with him - maybe you'd like to hear them?"

Sonic gestured his hands as if to push away the notion. Sally smiled over her shoulder, loving the priceless look on his face. It was like someone just offered Sonic a bag of steamed cabbage and brussels-sprouts. "I thought not; but that's okay - let's get back on topic." She clicked on sections of the structure for him to see. "Still don't see sections of the structure, especially where Robotnik was...but still, I want to make sure he's truly, really, and certainly a hundred percent gone."  

"I get ya Sal!  He was like a fat cockroach after all." Sonic said with a wry smirk, happy for the change of subject. "But you’ll see, we squashed that bug flat! You’ll see; after we’re done rootin’ an' scootin' around we’ll start getting our families back!"

A small sigh escaped Sally's lips. "I certainly hope so, Sonic…."

She felt Sonic slide a hand across her shoulder, heard his voice, cheerful and upbeat, behind her. "No ‘hope’ about it, Sal, we’ll find a way for your dad to come back again. Naugus said he’d work on it."

"Oh well that's comforting..." Sally shook her head and then sipped her coffee. "Like I'd trust anything wheezed out the snaggled-toothed maw of that malformed troll..."

Defensive, Sonic crossed his arms and scrunched up his snout. "Hey! Jus' tryin' ta cheer you up ya know."

"Sorry, I can't afford to think about that right now Sonic." She reclined her elbow against the desk, resting her head against the palms of her hands. "I have to keep a clear head - stay focused on the task at hand. Look at these outposts that survived, here and here." She pointed to the screen, unaware of Sonic's worried look behind her.

“She buries herself in work so much...  that girl barely even sleeps! Man, I hope that changes now...." Sonic thought to himself.  He shook off his concerns and decided to place another hand on her shoulders. Tentatively he began to slide his paws over her shoulders, feeling tension. "We've gone over all this crud a thousand times already Sal! I've known the full plan ever since you hacked in! Besides, the only thing there will be is a few swatbots to mop up and maybe some ghosts… nothin’ at all ta worry about."

"Then humor me blue boy." She said with an irritated quirk of her eye Sally stretched her arms out wide and sat up her seat. "We haven’t seen any physical evidence that Robotnik and Snively are dead. They could still be alive… and waiting for us."

Sonic rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "Alright, alright… like we discussed last night, here's how it goes: I take a team in. You and your team are gonna see if you can find anything from the Super Roboticizer or anything ‘Buttnik built before the - how does Antoine put it again? The coup d'etat? Security is non-existent there; everything’s so toasty they probably oughta bring marshmallows."

"It's a coupe de Grâce Sonic... and that mission goal is just the one part." Sally tapped at the big crater on screen. "There's the true goal."

"And that's where I come in..." Sonic jumped up on the balls of his sneakered feet, cracked his knuckles, and smirked. He stretched his legs as if he was about run a race. "I’d like to take in a team consisting of Rotor, Bunnie, and your's truly swooping in, and see what’s left of the ol’ Doomsday."

"And...?" Sally persisted, craning forward in her chair, pressing her fingers together.

"And... we’re gonna to do three things.” Sonic started numbering off the tips of his gloved digits . “Salvage important tech, take down any schematics, but the most important is intel, especially on how to track an’ try ta shutdown any leftover Doomsday pods. And, whatever else is still alive and kickin’ we blow it up (my style when dealing with Robotnik's toys). And…"

Noticing Sonic's slight hesitation, Sally rose a shrewd eye brow and spun around from her chair to face the hedgehog. "Also learn what’s left of his forces and where they’re located, the Doomsday Pods take priority but if we can find a weak spot in Robotnik's network…. Here, or here….”

She tapped two snow-covered radio-towers and dish-topped buildings on the monitor.  “We could have Nicole breech through Robotnik’s firewall and into one of his own Server-Hubs….”

Sonic shook his head, peering over her shoulder at the monitor with a studious stare. “Cool, cool…” He craned his leaning head close to look at her, betraying some of his cluelessness. “That’s a good thing, right?”

Sally rolled her eyes about full circle with a huff. “Sonic, this could possibly give us access to several of his networked units.”

“Yeah… and?”

Sally let slip some of her patience. “It means we could possibly, just maybe, hack into a part, or maybe even his entire mainframe! With him not there to update his firewalls and block us out, if we can find a chink in the armor…. We could shut down any networked factories and forces that were under his control.”

Sonic’s eyes bulged and widened, his muzzle hanging open slightly “No way! You could really do that?”

Sally suppressed a flattered chuckle. “Yes way… It could take some time and effort, but I am sure we can do it if we get the chance. But…” Her features shifted from bemused to stern. If any of you notice something, anything wrong or out of place - or if it's one of Robotnik's leftover elaborate traps - bail out and abort the mission with all of the intel you have, got it?"

Sonic rolled his eyes and huffed. "Stop being a worry wart, Sal. You act like we've never done this before. Remember what we just did? And news flash, Tails: a ten year old - a ten year old, Sal - helped ta keep the D.P. Stones outta his fat metal fingers; I'm sure we'll have no prob' sweepin’ up what’s left of ol’ Buttnik busted tinker toys.”

"Don't bet all your rings on that, Sonic Hedgehog."

With the slight twitch of his ear, sonic spun around to see an angled outline at the threshold, it's posture stiff and ridged.

"Unc'?" Sonic asked the shadow.

There was the creak and subtle slam of a closing door. "Saw the door was open so I thought I'd just let myself in." Sonic's uncle Chuck stepped inside and into the dim flickering light of a nearby table lamp. "You two should remember to shut the door - you'll let all the heat out and we wouldn't want to catch cold before we get this started, eh, Sonic?"

"Come on in Sir Charles," Sally said, "Sit down and get…."

"Comfortable, Sally?" Uncle Chuck finished for her. There was a loud clunk as he walked, the sound of metal smacking against the wooden floors. Sonic quickly suppressed a grimace. He noticed that the quiet clatter of whirring and clanking gyros were more pronounced in the silent cold air. Step by step, as Chuck drew closer to the lamp, his angular outline grew more and more visible, until the roboticized mobian was completely illuminated, revealing pale blue rivets and plates that replaced flesh, glassy red optics for pupils surrounded by black scelera, and even a metallic mustache just in the same style as his old organic one years ago (Robotnik's sick idea of a joke, Sonic thought).

"Or perhaps you meant to say warm?"

Chuck gave a forced chuckle that fell flat and tinny from his mechanized vocal cords.

"You needn't worry. I'm quite fine. Just greased up the ol' joints and this chassis is built for temperatures that'd freeze flesh and bone in an instant." He chuckled once again as he knocked on his chest which rang out with a raucous bang. "Still..."

Uncle Chuck sighed and slowly stuck a steel finger into the table-lamp's hot flame. The orange blaze flowed upwards and around the metal digit, engulfing it. Despite the persistent heat, Chuck’s metallicize flesh remained stubbornly numb. "When you can't feel the cold, you can't feel the warmth. I'd count that as a design flaw."

Sonic’s eyes drooped down to his bright red and white sneakers. It had been a long time since Sonic saved his uncle's mind from the iron grip of Robotnik and his dreaded roboticizer, yet still, the sight of him was... unnerving. Half the time he didn't know what to do when he saw him - smile or cry.

"Well, it is official, Sally." Uncle Chuck suddenly announced. Wiping off the soot of the burning wick, his demeanor and tone shifted to one of business. "Just came in to tell you that Robotnik had set up a jamming frequency that honed in on all my old tracking bugs. The last of my old spy network is officially kaputz; all they do now is leak white noise. Thank goodness for you and Nicole hacking into the Sky-Spy network."

"Yeah, Unc, talk about hitting two birds with one stone," Sonic said, looking back up with his iconic smirk. "Knothole is the safest it's ever been, seeing that the Doomsday Pods are not flyin’ towards us anymore, and if they were they’d be flyin’ blind."

"If we keep this up we’ll have the city back under control before the year’s out." Sally said with a slight smile. "And Knothole will grow as well as a base of operation. You don't know how long I've wanted to expand Rotor's workshop into a full hanger for the Freedom Stormer.” She beamed up at the metal hedgehog. “That, and perhaps add a med-lab for you, Uncle Chuck."

"Won’t Rote be thrilled." Uncle Chuck said with a steely chuckle. "I know I would be: a med-lab would certainly speed up our research on the roboticizer. And hopefully we could start working again on restoring Bunnie's…."

Sally was only half-listening to what Chuck was saying. Her gaze wandered sharply off and fixated on the alarm clock besides her bed. She suddenly realized the time.

"Sorry to bring that up Uncle Chuck," Sally interrupted, "but right now that is neither here nor there. For all we know the roboticizer was destroyed and Robotnik might still be alive, plotting as we speak. That is why we need to get back there and make sure."

Sally pulled a disc from her old computer, flicked it off, capped her thermos, then loaded the disc into Nicole before heading over to the front door. She grabbed her coat off a nearby hangar, quickly zipped up and snapped Nichole to the rim of her boot, then pushed opened the door.

"Gather the rest of the team and meet me at the briefing area in twenty minutes tops. I need to hurry on ahead. See you two soon." She shut the door and hurried out. Sonic could hear her voice, muffled by distance and the closed door as she left, sound out: "And don't forget to turn the power off like you did last time, Sonic Hedgehog! We don't have enough to waste, let alone to work with! Forget, and I swear, I'll cut your chili-dog ration down to fun size!"

Sonic scowled, crossing his arms with a huff. "What’s so fun about less food?” His frayed quills shook along with his head. “Is it me, or has Sally been a bit… agitated… lately. You’d think she’d be - "

“As happy as a bumble-bee in spring?” Chuck asked.

Sonic laughed, nodding. “Somethin’ like that...yeah. She was - well, she was real, real happy when, well, the victory party got goin’...”

A gloved finger trailed Sonic’s lip. His mind vividly recalled her kiss, the exciting energies of the Deep Power Stone flowing through the both of them in an instant of pure, unbridled joy. His thoughts had been veering back to that moment all night long, lingering at the edge of his thoughts even as he celebrated. The two of them were so incredibly happy just a few hours ago. Yet then there was a flake of snow, the sudden biting cold ...  

"Now Sonic, you would be too if you had her job," Uncle Chuck told him. "Being a leader is not what it's all cracked up to be. Remember that a good ruler is a servant of his people. And Sally is the most servile leader I have ever seen; she would make her father very proud."

Sonic bit on his lip slightly, dropping his hand back to his hip. "I guess you're right, Uncle Chuck..." Sonic tapped his foot and stared down at the ground, looking thoughtful. “Havin’ ta take down a ‘Buttink and his death machine really took its toll. Then there’s this odd weather we’re havin’. I wish there was something I could do..."

Sonic felt Chuck's cold and heavy hand pat his back.  "You have, my boy. You've done more than most. Just remember she needs more than your speed..."

Sonic looked back up at Uncle Chuck, brow raised. "What are you getting at, unc?"

"She needs to know what she’s fighting for; to be reminded and encouraged constantly," Uncle Chuck explained. "She needs to know that our fight means something, that we're making a difference. Sally has a bad knack for focusing on what is still wrong, instead of what we've made right."

"I see what you mean, Unc", Sonic said with a nod. "She forgets all the progress we've made in just the past year alone: the spy network, findin' an' allying with the Wolf-Pack and the other freedom fighters, using the time stones, sackin' snilivin' Snivley an' Buttnik... but most importantly...."

"Most importantly what, sonny boy?" Uncle Chuck asked.

Sonic leaned over and hugged his uncle, ignoring the cold and rigid steel. "...we got you back."

Uncle Chuck smiled. "I'm glad to be back, Sonic, and I plan to stay..." He rustled his quills before stepping over to open the door "...now let's hurry off to the briefing room. You know she'll shift the blame on you if we're all late. And don't forget to blow out the lamps and candles and turn the power off... I don't think Sally was kidding about cutting down your rations."

Sonic grinned and suddenly rushed through the room, blowing out candles and flipping off switches in a bright blue blur. "There. Ha… I'd like to see her find a excuse to ration away my chilidogs now."

Sonic and Uncle Chuck laughed as they left, their minds blissfully diverted from the possible troubles that might lay ahead of them….

• Like 3

• Wulfsbane locked this topic
  • 2 months later...

Sally guzzled down more of her coffee, which had quickly become lukewarm in the cold breeze. Though bundled up and full of hot beverage, she began to shiver as the wind crashed into her.

"Maybe this isn't the best time for a mission, Nicole." She shouted over the wind. "The last thing we need right now is for someone to freeze to death."

"The current meteorological conditions are indeed suitable, Sally, despite environmental risk factors. Moreover, Rotor has been working on weatherproofing our equipment, for instance; he recently installed a series of heaters in the reclaimed hover unit and its repulsors to prevent icing. This, and the new cockpit, will be more than sat…."

Sally interrupted Nicole with a shiver and a sigh, stuffing her now numb fingers deep into her coat pockets while trudging carefully by slick patches of accumulating ice. "I know Nicole… I know I can't hold the clean up off, but I want to…."

"Is there an exact reason as to why?"

"I am not quite sure, Nicole. Call it a hunch. I have this horrible feeling that I just can't put into words." She plodded passed Antoine and Tails's huts and towards the line of freezing sycamores that snaked around the Great River.  It was surreal to see the still verdant leaves caked in thin sheens of frost and ice."

"Hunches are difficult for me factor into accurate probabilities about the outcome of this operation, or to help me calculate the necessity to abort our current operation thereof. It is an unpredictable factor. However, I wish to know more about your "hunch." Perhaps I can elucidate your subconscious apprehensions with - as Bunnie prefers to say - "girl talk."

Sally couldn't help but grin as she heard Nicole's typically sterile speech suddenly break into an emotive twang, playfully mocking Bunny's Appalachian accent. "You do that too well… it's almost scary."

"It was intended to be humorous." Nicole explained. "I apologize if I have disturbed you and for being counterproductive. I -"

"No! No..." Sally shouted. "It was - that was just a figure of speech, Nicole."

"Oh, alright. I will commit this hyperbolic phrase to memory for further rhetorical application. Now, getting back on track."

Sally rummaged her pocketed hand, pulling out a jingling pair of keys and a mag-card. She trotted past the tall redwoods and oaks where most of the other residences of Knothole lived, currently bundled up warm in their quaint huts. Wishing she could do the same, Sally hurried up the short flight of stairs and across the walkway to the War Alcove, her breath coming coming out in frosted spurts.

"First, let's isolate the cause of your anxiety," Nicole began, "perhaps it is purely physiological. Several sub-species of adolescent Mobians, particularly females, have a tendency to become chemically unbalanced due to various biological reasons. Tell me, how frequently have you been -"

Sally's shoulders bunched, now she was both cold and overcome with awkwardness.

"Please Nicole..." she mumbled, "...whatever you're about to say the answer is either no, never, or not yet. Just… don't finish that sentence."

Nicole was quiet. For a long, oddly drawn out second there was only the sound of the wind blowing... which to Sally seemed an age.

"Something' tells me I am substandard at Girl-Talk. Maybe, I should stop."

"I'm sorry Nicole… don't be discouraged," Sally said, "It's just takes getting use to people, that's all, and that takes practice, so keep going." As she neared the heart of Knothole through the snow Sally could see the towering Great Oak, and, surrounding it's thick base, the strangly sloping structure that was the War-Alcove. Made up of seamless, off-white waves of a mysterious parabolic stone, the Alcove was the architectural marvel of Knothole. It was a remnant landmark of Mobian culture, and thus a profound beacon of hope.

"Perhaps I require training," Nicole proposed, "Do you believe Bunnie would agree with establishing a scheduled weekly discourse about relevant topics pertaining to ourselves and each other? She seems quite adept at understanding others, or as you prefer to say ‘she is a people person.’ There is much observational data and conditioning I could attain in social operants by practicing with someone who has the ‘gift of gab.’"

Sally suppressed a small bout of laughter whilst some motion caught her attention out of the corner of her eye. It was Rotor, Bunnie, and Tails. Rotor was desperately savaging through the icy rubble and remains of his workshop, a grim frown lining his face. His precious workshop was all but obliterated into a heap scrap and jagged splinters, all the consequences of a single Doomsday Pod mercilessly toppling a giant sequoia atop it. Bunnie had already moved the tree trunk just enough with the clever use of pulleys to clear the wreckage; now she was finishing with the logs. Tails all the while was playing the role of ‘go between’ taking what Rotor had found amongst the rubble, hustling and stashing it all under a tarp.

His twin tails fluttered behind him anxiously as a drifting flake of snow dropped on his snout. The fox sniffled and wiped it away. "Snow’s comin' down Roter, we better hurry up."

Despite their progress, noticeable look of despair emanated from Rotor. His thick shoulders drooped and his face grew more and more gloomy whilst rescuing various tools and inventions. Sally looked down at her watch; she had plenty of time before the briefing. She could look in on her comrades and maybe lend a hand. Hopefully, such would boost Roter's morale. With only a brief pause, she took in a deep breath and mustered her warmest smile.

“Hi guys!” Sally said, a chipper note in her voice as she approached the trio. “How’s the - ugh, oh my gosh…”

Sally was all but staggered by a sudden wave of acrid chemical stink. It was a burnt, bitter scent like scorched ragweed mixed with ash, vinegar, and sour mash. She instantly clasped her sensitive muzzle and muttered to herself. "What on Mobius is that smell..."

In a weary chorus the duo of Tails and Rotor craned their necks and spun around to greet her with a single weary word: "Scorchohol…."

"Ohhh..." Sally nodded as she wafted the foul air about her muzzle. Sally recalled the term but in a much more cheerful context. It was what Rotor excitedly named his recent concoction that could corrode metal as easy as fire could eat up dry pine cones, a brew he devised by distilling the seeds of the Scorch Plants into the hyper-oxidizing, corrosive liquid that was in his patent Metal-Eating Balloons. Despite the fact that it was ‘harmless’ to organic material, it was still toxic to breathe, but that didn’t stop Rotor and his helpers.

Bunnie's large ears twitched and sprung to life at the sound of Sally's voice. She waved then clapped her hands together in a victorious posture, just finishing with the tree and heading back to meet Sally. “Hiya Sally-girl!”

“Hi Bunnie, things going about as good as expected?” Said Sally, still keeping her trademark smile in place, yet still eyeing an ever gloomy Rotor as he languidly scraped through heaps of scrap.

"Well..." Bunnie took a lace handkerchief from the leather and fleece jacket she was wearing over her torn and grease-stained purple top. She was comically wearing grimey denim cargo pants to held various nuts and bolts, and bits and bobs, all of which jingled slightly when she walked. The leggings were tucked snugly in big scuffed rainboots that still could barely accommodate her large footpaws, a mismatched pair with their colors clashing, one oily black, one canary yellow. With leather work gloves on either hand and the huge rain-boots on both of her feet the cyborg nevertheless looked strangely normal. The only betrayals of her hidden cybernetics were both the faint click and hum of an occasional gyro as she moved and the clunky shape of her roboticized hand as she wiped away sawdust and snowflakes from her fur. "...as good as they're gonna get, Sally-Girl. L'il Shugar-fox has been a great big help cleanin' things up and get 'em out of the snow."

"That's wonderful to hear." Sally beamed down at Tails as he organized, cleaned, and dried off wet powertools next to the large tarp. He looked up and returned the grin, proud and eating up her approval. She glanced back at Rotor, still ever so moapy as he thumbed through a soggy sketch book filled with smudged and ripped dioramas of all sorts and shapes of devised inventions. Her focus quickly shuffled back to Bunnie. Her voice waned into a whisper. "Be straightforward with me, Bunnie. How bad is it? We could really use all of Rotor’s tech we can possibly salvage."

Bunnie leaned forward slightly, her own voice sinking in volume. "Most of the basement's equipment is salvageable but I reckon it's a bit too dangerous ta go down there again right now. There's a broken beam that's knocked outta section of wall and the stairs are all but a heapa gravel." She sighed and rubbed her metal arm. "Antoine tried to go down there earlier…."

With a look of consternation on Sally’s face. “Oh my gosh! Is he….”

Tails set down a box of odds and ends and added with a laugh. “Yeah, he’s fine… I think seeing Ro-Becca scared him though."

Sally looked at them with wide eyes, “She didn’t….”

Rotor shook his head as he pulled one of his old lockers, which wasn’t too badly damaged, from a snowbank, “No, and after this I doubt she ever will… along with the rest of this junk!”

Sally shook her head, still keeping her smile, “Oh Rotor, don’t say that; you and your inventions kept us alive and helped us win this war.”

“Yeah, Rotor.” said Tails, affirming what Sally said.

Bunnie's ears drooped. She leaned forward to Sally. "He feels a bit guilty fer runnin' down there a bit too fast an' get snippy with Antoine. The stairs shifted on him and there a bit of a cave in from one of the walls. Antoine ran down to make sure he was alright an' well… you know poor Antoine an' his ‘good intentions.’"

Sally rolled her eyes and nodded, “Don’t I, all too well.”

Tails's large ears twitched. He trotted up to the two of them, hands wringing one of his tails. "A lot of beakers, tubes, an' delicate tools got smashed up. I flew Antoine out but… well Bunnie had to use a rope with Rotor. Antoine was clumsy, he -"

Bunnie crossed her arms and looked down at Tails with a rather maternal disapproval. "He saved poor Rotor from gettin' hurt though, that's what matters." She glanced back at Rotor with a frown. "It's gettin' to him… Rotor snapped on him pretty bad. An', well… he's lost more than all of us. Lost a lot of sentimental things."

Sally patted Tails on the head and kissed his nose, then hugged Bunnie tight. “I take it Antoine’s okay, right?"

Bunnie returned the hug with a smile and a sigh. "He's helpin' others cover up the crops so the frost doesn't get to 'em. He's shaken up, but he's fine."

Sally parted with a nod. "He might have ‘issues,’ but he doesn’t deserve to be a verbal punching bag, especially when it wasn’t his fault.”

In the distance Rotor let out a forced, guttural “ugh!”

Sally spun around to find Rotor in a tug of war with a heap of scrap for a scraped and dented locker. His breath came out in uneven frosty puffs as he wrestled for his possessions.

Despite the sad sight, Sally stayed chipper. "Let's help him out, show him he has us. That's what matters most." Tails let loose his tail and grinned at the sound of her 'can-do' voice. He reached his gloved fist out to Sally who bumped it back.

"Let's do it to it." The two chorused.

Bunnie chuckled as she dusted her coat off. "My goodness, gracious. You'd think he'd be Sonic's own flesh an' blood if he didn't have those cute an' fluffy hind-end warmers." Tails let out a fit of giggles as Bunnie snuck up and scooped him up in her right arm and began to poke ticklish spots lightly about his fuzzy belly. She tossed him up on her shoulder and hurried towards Rote. Sally following behind her.

“Don’t worry, Rotor." Sally jogged up to him, with an upbeat smile. She reached up placed her paw on his wide and sloping shoulder. "Getting your workshop rebuilt will be one of our top priorities.” She hunched over and, before Bunnie could even put down Tails, got the locker standing upright.

Rotor nodded sullenly. He reached out to the banged-up container. As if by a cruel stroke of luck it's mangled pad-lock slipped off its handle. Suddenly the door flung open, spilling all its contents: mostly grease-speckled work-clothes and various grimey scavenged widgets.

Rotor gave the locker a kick. The locker lurched and rocked “Dang it! Just more junk anyway!”

Tails quickly ducked behind his Aunt Bunnie as Sally put her paw to her forehead and sighed as if suffering from an abrupt and piercing migraine. "Rotor... You need to..."

With a stern quip Bunnie beat Sally to the chase. "Now Shugar… you oughta be more thankful an' get ahold of yer ol' self. What's more important ? Loosin' yer ol' workshop..."

Something in the spilled-over heap caught Bunnie's turquoise eyes, which then brightened with sudden surprise. Her robotic knee-joints whirled slightly as she bent over and rummaged her fingers through the disheveled mess, pulling out something crumpled up, yellow and bright. She quickly began to dust it off with a warm smile; Sally gasped at the sight.

"...or havin' all the people that love you safe an' sound?" Bunnie handed him his old prized yellow cap.

Rotor enthusiastically gripped the cap; a misty tear slipped from his eye.

"War's over, shugar… I reckon that's cause for a smile."

Sally put her paw on Rotor’s shoulder. “Bunnie’s right, you’re not alone. And now that Robotnik is gone; it’ll be easier than ever and you’ll have a better shop. I promise you that.”

Tears began to run down Rotor’s cheeks Tails pried himself off Bunnie to look up at Rotor. Rotor looked back down at him with a wobbly smile. "Sorry if I spooked you, T-Two.”

"It's okay, Rotor; I know yer jus' upset." The fox assured him with a rekindling grin.

Rotor gave a little jump when Tails reached and hugged his round belly, his child arms unable to fully wrap around his weight.

"Aunt Sally's right - we can build a huge workshop now! Without that creepy Robecca."

Rotor sniffled, teary eyed. Too choked up to speak, he lifted Tails returning his embrace. He began to dig into the fox's side with tickling fingers. "You… you g-guys are never… g-going ta lemme down for that are you?"

Tails forced a single word out between gales of laughter. “Nope!”

"Yes, sirree." Bunnie chimed in. She ran up and hugged the both of them back, signaling Sally to do the same. "No more scroungin' up haywire carnie-bots from rusty old theme-parks for this here Walrus.Now We can build ya workshop as grand as Uncle Chuck's ol' laboratory."

Tearing up herself, Sally joined in the group hug, feeling a sudden warmth “Cat would be so proud of you. If he could see you now….”

Rotor managed to choke out a few more words, “This cap’s all I have left of him… besides what he taught me… I… j-jus' wish he was here with… us… I…."

"Sal’s right, you'd make him mighty proud Rotor." Bunnie crooned, pinching his whiskery muzzle. "You got his gumption that's fer sure… and yer twice as handsome."

“Thanks.” Rotor whispered hoarsely as he glanced back over the remains of his old shop. Rotor pulled off his current cap, rubbed some warmth back into his rounded ears, then swapped the crimson hat with his prized yellow one. “Here, Tails.” He handed him the crimson cap with a grateful smile. “Here’s a little sumthin’ for all your help.” He mussed up Tails’ hair and dropped him back in the snow with a pat on his shoulder.

“We should probably get this finished before the snow gets too deep.” Rotor told Sally as he quickly spun on his heel and began to trot towards the wreckage.

Sally shook her head, “I’m actually gonna need you for this mission I’m planning for today. In fact, your expertise in particular will be in high demand.”

Rotor craned his head back in mid step. He swung around and scratched at his cap in curiosity. “What kind of work are we doin’?”

Bunnie also craned her head and crossed her arms. “My stars, you jus’ can’t take a day off can you Sally-girl?”

Sally shook her head and waved Bunnie off with a smirk. “Who has time? It’s only going to get busier now that we’re in rebuild mode.” Sally chuckled and turned back to Rotor, “As for the mission, I’ll fill you all in at the alcove, but you’ll love it. No unnecessary brawling, just a lot of electronic detective work and salvage.” She replied with a smile.

Rotor returned the smile, “Great. But… what about my workshop?”

Sally hugged him from the side, leading him to the Alcove. With her free hand she gestured to Bunnie who began to follow suit. “We have plenty of hands to get the work done before you even get back.”

Rotor shook his head, “I dunno, they won’t know…”

“No one will throw anything away; they’ll just catalog it and keep it safe, I promise; even the broken items.” Sally have him a reassuring squeeze. “That’ll cut out most of the dull work for you to focus on bigger issues - like building a better workshop.”

Sally leaned over and whispered quietly into Bunnie’s sensitive ear, “And with Rote not in the way getting all emotional it’ll be a lot faster.”

Bunnie's long ear twitched, she raised her eyebrows in slight and silent recognition.

It was halfway back to the Alcove when there was a small tug on Sally’s vest. She looked down to see Tails catching up to them, an eager look on his face. “Aunt Sally! Aunt Sally! If its safe an’ it involves a buncha cool gadgets an’ tech stuff, can I come? I promise ta help, just like I did with Sonic, an’ with the Deep Power Stones! You know I can do it.”  The fox’s red-orange and ivory-tipped tails whipped about in anticipation.

Sally knelt down, looking Tails in the eyes, “I dunno, it’s still going to be….”

Rotor took his work gloves off and rested his hand on Tails’ head, “There’s nothing ta worry about Sal, I’ll watch over him. Think of this as part of an apprenticeship; I’ll be responsible.”

Sally sighed whilst nodding her head. Apprehension tightened in her chest. Even with his recent promise, the thought of Tails on a mission and out her sight was still a nauseous one. Despite being just five years younger than her he was still a child, not quite a teenager like herself. “Okay, but take someone else with you, just in case.”

Rotor nodded. “You got it, it won’t be a problem.”

Sally placed a firm finger on the Walrus's black nose whilst staring him straight in the eye. "Better not be, if he comes to me with as much as a cold I’ll personally undertake spring cleaning on your storage shed, understood?”

Rotor’s eyes bugged out with a look of disquiet, “You don’t have ta go that far Sal; I don’t want anything bad happening to him either. I cross my heart...” His paw moved in the a cross pattern against his chest, “...he’ll be safe and learn.”

Sally shook her head and dug her fists against her hips. “Okay… but just make sure he doesn’t do anything impulsive or dangerous, he’s already learned that from the master of leaping before he looks.”

A puff of warm moist air bristled the fur on Sally's neck. A crooning voice shot through her ear, causing it to flutter.

"And who would that be, huh?"

“Wouldn’t you like to…” Sally gasped as an unseen force lifted her off the ground, her boots dangling in mid air. She felt two warm arms squeeze her tight. “...know.”

"Is he as handsome as me?" She heard a snicker punctuated by a goofy snort.

“Well, he’s certainly not modest, but has become quite the sneak… maybe I’m finally rubbing off on you.” She tapped him on the nose and planted a kiss on his cheek.

Sonic's knees buckled slightly. Snuggled close, Sally could feel his heart begin to excitedly thump against his chest. All the while the little fox about their waist-height pinched his black snout snout and gagged. To Sonic the kiss was a delightful surprise, to Tails it was like catching a whiff of Rotor's infamous mackerel and garlic casserole.

"EEEEyuuuccck…." Tails gagged with a shudder.

Sonic looked up at the spectators, his snout flushed to a dark shade of red like a freshly burning coal. "I… yeah -that jus' might be the case Sal." He glowered back down and flashed her a goofy face. "Hope I don't get as bossy."

“You mean thinking first and being responsible?” She replied with a coy, playful look.

He smirked, unaffected. "Though I gotta say those eyes an' that mind, anybody who's got halfa brain would be jealous enough ta want 'em."

Sally smiled with her eyelids half open and fluttering slightly, “Why thank you Sonic, you have a silver tongue, but you need some more colour in those eyes to match your handsome fur.”

Tails jammed a finger down his throat, gagging himself. "Ugh, double yuck!"

Bunnie scratched behind Tails ear and giggled. "Oh hush now, Shugar. It won't be gross to you in a couple of years."

Tails rocked his head in an emphatic no. "Uhn-nhu, that'll be gross to me when I'm older than Uncle Chuck!"

Sally watched everyone fade in the distance as Sonic began to pace towards the Alcove with her tight in his grip. Bunnie opened her mouth to make a retort to Tails, yet realized Sonic and Sally were already halfway to the Alcove.

"Well, looks like I'll have ta explain things to ya later, Tails..." She sighed and swiped away some sawdust and snow from her jacket. She hurried forward, leading Tails and motioning for Rotor. "Looks like our l'il vacation's already over, boys…."

Rotor pulled on the hem of his cap until it was snug tight on his head and lumbered alongside Bunnie briefly enough to pat her on the shoulder and give her a grateful “thanks Bunnie” for all her help. He pushed himself with a sprint until he caught up with the two love-birds. “It looks like you got first-class transport Sal.” He commented in a breathless jog.

"Can go Mach one faster than Ant can scarf down a caramel crepe." Sonic flashed Rotor his cocky and iconic grin and gave Sal a quick wink. "Only the best for the Princess that throttled ol' bubble-butt Buttnik an' trashed Doomsday. She deserves to be swept off her tired feet."

Sally giggled, “Sonic, you all deserve the best… better than me."

“It’s like you always say you can’t lead where ya don’t go… you deserve as much as any of us Sal, " Sonic said. He hugged her closer.

"I couldn’t’ve done it without every single one of you, you know....” She added.

Rotor rolled his eyes, “Except maybe Antoine….” He muttered quietly under his breath. The walrus’s eyes gleamed impishly, he bent down and whispered in Tails long fuzzy-tipped ear. “You even out-did Antoine out there an he’s been on too many field missions than I can count; you got my vote for bein’ a full-timer anyday, T-2.”

As soon as Tails beamed up at him and opened his mouth to speak, a thick metal finger poked Rotor in the side; Bunnie’s voice tingled close to his ear. “I got some mighty fine ears, Rotor. I heard that….” She put her metal paw on his shoulder. “Now there’s no need ta be bitter an’ poo-poo on Antoine in order ta swell up Tail’s head. That’s only goin’ ta lead to silly jealousy an’ infighting’ in the long run.” Bunnie pulled him towards her slightly with her superior grip. “Jus’ so you know Shugar-tusks, I’m with Sally on that issue... I don’t want him gettin’ too reckless out there, ya here? You got two ladies to answer too.”

Rotor smiled and nodded, “I’m sorry, and you’re right, I should be a better teacher and role-model for Tails; he deserves it.”

Bunnie returned his cheer by closing in on him and pinching his cheek once more. "Now there's the Shugar-tusks I love ta see..."

Rotor continued to smile while his countenance perked up. “Thanks Bunnie.” He said with a slight blush.

As they walked up to the alcove they had to wade through a berm of snow freshly dropped from the roof. While the others had to trudge through, Sonic leaped gracefully over protecting Sally from a potential case of soggy boots and feet.

Sally gave Sonic another kiss, “You’re such a gentleman carrying me through that; thanks Sonic.”

"I know, I know..." He found himself crooning back. "Hero's gotta be sweet to his girl, right? I mean… well…." He rested her to her feet and opened his hand at the threshold of the Alcove, hoping she would take hold and sit close to him inside. He cleared his throat awkwardly, hoping it would shut his free flying mouth up before his brain could temper him. Last time he called Sally "my girl" it ended very sourly….

Sally, sensing the tension growing in the blue hedgehog, took his paw in hers and placed her other paw on his shoulder. “And the Princess appreciates her hero for being so sweet.”

"Anytime, Sal..." His shoulder grew slack at her touch. He leaned in slightly and realized they had rounded the corner faster than everyone else. For a brief moment it was just them. He glanced back and gave his full attention to her bright blue eyes. He scratched at his quills as if, in brief and rare moment, unsure and reserved.

"I know this ain't the best time..." He whispered. "...but I'd like ta talk about us…."

• 3 months later...

Sally could sense something odd about Sonic tonight. He seemed… off, but in a strangely pleasant way. How could one meaningful kiss have made him go from being flighty to this? That lingering embrace last night, when the violet light and otherworldly feel of the Power Stones coursed through them both as their lips touched, was life changing. Sally wasn't sure why she thought that, given how it was just a short while, a brief but evocative euphoria,  but there was something different between them now, something more than just witty banter and the occasional kiss-off. The threat of Doomsday, now a gravestone of Robotnik's humiliating and decisive defeat, had tethered them in a deeper way. 

Sally looked around, “Well Pollo and Dirk aren’t here yet; neither is Antoine or Dulcy… I suppose we have some time.” She glanced over at Bunnie and Rotor, “Sonic and I are needing a few minutes alone, could you do me a favour and see that everybody gets seated okay?”

Tails lifted up on the tips of his toes, making himself as tall and adult as possible with an accompanying salute. "Okay, Aunt Sally!” 

Sally chuckled, “I’m sure I can depend on you too Tails.”

Bunnie's eyebrow raised, eyes bouncing between the two of them. She then winked. "I'm sure we can hold the fort fer a short while… right Rotor?"

Rotor quickly took his hat off and scratched his scalp beneath, “Well… I was hopin’ ta go over some details about the cleaning up before...” He looked at Bunnie and then at Sally, “...oh, I see; we can talk later I guess.”

She griped Sonic's gloved hand and began to trot off, grinning back over her shoulder. "Thanks guys…."

She led Sonic to a secluded corner, which was out of general sight, “So… what’s on that blue hedgehog brain of yours?”

Sonic took a step closer to her than usual. Typically to Sally this would be a violation of personal space, but with Sonic it became cozy, but she still felt a bit strange about this, 

"Well.. .you…," he said. "You have been mondo busy lately and I was gettin' - well - worried that you've been overworkin' yerself an' not celebratin’ with the rest of us…."

Sally leaned against the building, propping one foot flat against the wall and the other flat on the floor with her arms folded, “Well… it’s been busy, with Doomsday we’ve been fighting especially hard lately, and now I’ve got to plan and lead cleanup as well as start the rebuilding efforts…. But… that's not all you’re wanting to discuss, is it?..." Sally asked, intently reading his features. "You said you wanted to talk about us."

"Yeah..." Sonic said, getting a bit lost while staring at her auburn hair. He reached his paw out as if to play with it, feeling an odd tingle deep in his stomach. "...I wanted to talk about us…."

Sally chuckled, adoring his fawning, she loved the attention and was eating every bit of it up. "Well, what about us?"

Sonic bit on his lower lip slightly, his snout flushed once again. "I'd like ta - when we're not busy - spend more time with you sometime an', well, think about what… well, what you an' I're gonna do now that Robotnik's gone. I've been thinkin'...."

Sally stood back up, griped his paw and began to tug at his gloves playfully, “Sonic, we’ve been friends, close friends since we can even remember… you don’t have to be nervous with me; I don’t bite.” She chuckled warmly.

He swallowed, and rubbed his temples and then his eyelids as if to knead away his anxieties. "You're right… but were more than friends now... Sal. That's... what I'm tryin' ta get at…. We've juiced way past friendship - we're lookin' at it through a rearview mirror headlong towards… well, somethin' else. I jus' wanna find out what that is... I..."

She looked at him expectantly, waiting for what seemed to be many minutes, but in fact it was mere seconds.

"Sally, yer more than my friend now." He confessed, with an increasing look of cautious excitement, an ambivalent eagerness mixed with apprehension. And yer definitely more than my main squeeze or 'my girl.' That kiss last night it was sumthin' else. An' yer sumthin' else. We're becomin' sumthin' else, you an' me. I love…."

Her eyes sparkled, awaiting the next few words, making them all that much more difficult to form them. He gulped and looked down at his own feet as if thinking hard. "I love ta be with you... even when we butt heads I get a tingle in the ol' gut like I jus' ate a gourmet chili-dog with all the fixin's... it's like burnin' through a million power rings all at once. I'm jus' wonderin' what next for us now. Maybe we should go… perhaps onna serious date? Maybe take somethin' like a small vacation together? You know, as a couple..."

She nodded slowly, closing her eyes, “Sonic, I’m still trying to process what happened last night. I don’t know what consequences are still to come because of what we did.” Sally opened her eyes, making eye contact whilst rubbing her thumb deep into his gloved hand. “Heck, I don’t even know what we did together to Robotnik, Doomsday, or Mobius; Sonic, there were literally fireworks coming out of that aura when we kissed! God only knows, we might be living on borrowed time, or maybe even live a lot longer than normal because of this."

Sally watched as Sonic's dark brown eyes widened whilst his pupils dilated. "I'd prefer that last one… I think we've earned that storybook ending, ya know - a Happily Ever After. But yeah… I'm even more clueless than you. If your big ol' brain can't wrap around what happened, then you know I'm stumped. I just hope if there are any weird consequences to this - they're good ones. Who knows, maybe you’ll wake up blue. We can be a matching set!” He stuck out his tongue playfully. 

“Then let’s hope we never get lost at sea - they’ll never find us!”  Sally let out a giggle, "You’re the eternal optimist Sonic, and your track record is pretty well in your favour. I guess that’s one of the things I’ve always liked the most about you; you balance out my… pragmatism.” She took a deep breath with a sharp sigh, “I just don’t know Sonic, but one thing I’m certain of is that I love being with you too; I always have.”

Sonic's quills frilled and his ears stuck up with glee. "Now that's one thing I do know… but it's way past to hear you actually say it." 

Sally nodded, her sparkling eyes still staring him down, “I would gladly try a serious date or vacation. If and when things die down a bit, it’s a vacation of course.” She laughed playfully. "I can already imagine you walking on a beach, chili dog in hand and with your gloves still on, complaining about the sand in your sneakers."

"I take my gloves off,” he protested, “you know… sometimes." His own laugh chorused with her’s. 

"To wash them, I hope!" Her laughter grew stronger. She peeled her hands from his grip and mockingly wiped her fingers on her jacket with a puckered frown. 

“You talkin’ about my gloves or my paws?”

Sally let a shiney tooth show out of the corner of her mouth, “Both.”

“Funny.” Sonic smirked and rolled his eyes, hands on his hips. "I can imagine you bringing us to somewhere like the Great Jungle to catalog bugs and ta get us gobbled up by hedgehog-eatin' trees... or maybe we'd jus' end up goin' to a library jus' ta read about 'em." Sonic yawned and pretended he was nodding off to sleep. "Bor-ing…."

Sally shrugged and then crossed her arms, leaning back again on the wall. "Pot. Kettle. Black. Sonic Hedgehog." She playfully poked at his chest. "You’re the daredevil here, and for your information, I would relish ta sit down in the Royal Archives once again and read a good book together… just me an' you. In fact…."

Sonic cocked his head curiously as Sally rummaged through her coat. "Whatzup Sal?"

“I have something I’d like to lend you…” She pulled out a really old, well-worn and foxed paperback book, “This was one that Rosie gave me for my eighth birthday, it’s the first in a series.”

On the cover Sonic glossed over the faded title: “Telemachus”.

“It’s the first in an 18 volume set; I have the entire set now and have been re-reading them for years trying to figure it out.” Her eyes sparkled as she continued, “It’s from ancient times; even before the founding of the Arkon Kingdom.”

Sonic gave a long whistle as he swiftly flipped through the pages like they were a deck of cards. "Whoa...That's almost as old as Dulcy's ‘yes, mom’ joke..." Sonic stuck his tongue with a rip-roarin raspberry and then belly-laughed.

Sally rolled her eyes, but didn’t take the bait; she instead took Sonic’s hand again, “Maybe we can read this together and you can help me figure out this chaotic story, hm?”

Still grinning, he nodded his head, swinging her hands slightly in his. Soon though, Sonic's laughter died down as she left the book in his palm. Now alone in his own grip, it seemed much thicker than it first looked, weighed heavier, like it just ate a whole dictionary when he wasn’t looking. He thumbed through the pages with a more careful eye. The book was not sizable to Sally's standards of “casual reading,” but to the speeding hedgehog this well worn book would be a challenge of focus and patience. He could indeed “speed-read" through it, which he would be tempted to do if this was any other dusty old tome. But knowing about this book, knowing every little detail pertaining to it, knowing every little bit he could possibly force into his brain, was an act of adoration towards Sally. And Sally would observe his progress… for better, or for worse.

"Well, what do you think?” She prodded expectantly, still watching him with an eyebrow raised. Her smirk widened. "Think you're up for the challenge, blue boy?"

Sonic flipped the corner end of the book atop the tip of his pointer finger, forcing an unaffected smile to rival Sally's. "Do birds fly? Does Rotor eat salmon?" He flipped it to the first page and attempted to read the first paragraph like it were the simplest action in the whole of Mobius. He closed it with a comically studious affect, almost if he were mocking Rosie back when she use to read to the both of them.

She smiled and gave him another peck on the cheek, “Reading it is one thing; anything can be read, but to understand it and to draw your own conclusions based on the author’s prose and candor is of the utmost importance. That’s what it means to be truly literate, Sonic.” 

Sally cradled his hand that gripped the book, “I so want to be able to debate and discuss ideas with you.” Her eyes still sparkling brightly like the evening sun casting its dying light on the clear, cool blue waters The Great River. 

Sonic seemed to gravitate towards her eyes. “Truth be told, I don’t even know what candor means… but I’m sure all I’ll need is a big ol’ dictionary an’ some time. Perhaps… you can be my study partner? I’ll getta bit itchy if I do this alone all the time.” He lifted his hands up with a smirk. “Not that I can’t do it alone or anything - you know me.”  He leaned over and moved to peck her back, except right on the nose. However, Sally took the initiative and surprised him with a full intercepting kiss on the lips. For a long, lingering second, the hyperactive hedgehog stood miraculously still...

She pulled back to arm's length and winked, “I’d be happy to study together; it would be great to have someone I could talk to like this!”

Sonic’s heart skipped a beat. “Heck yeah! If we can put our heads together, I’m sure we can burn an’ blitz through every volume. I mean we trashed Doomsday right, I’m sure I can tackle this.” He suddenly hugged her close, nuzzling his muzzle to hers. “We’re an unstoppable team, you an’ I - like chilli an’ a hotdog….”

“That we are, Sonic Hedgehog… that we are.” Sally pressed her body to his, both their hearts thumping. She opened her mouth and edged forward. Sonic could swear he could feel that ethereal tingle of the Power Stones once again. He swore he could see the shimmer and shine of violet radiate through Sally’s gorgeous fur like static. Sonic opened his own mouth in return, eyes half-closed, but ears pricked up high. Savoring the moment, he leaned forwards and - 

“Ahem…” Like a nasty shock, the clearing of a throat made the couple’s ears twitch and their fur stand on end. The two lovebirds stood paused in the middle of the act of making out, mouths agape like dumb turkeys staring up at the rain. They both quickly craned their necks to see Chuck and Rosie standing there with wide eyes, equally flabbergasted.

Chuck’s servos squeaked as he tried to hide his approving smile, “Um, kids….” 

“My word, children!” Rosie shook herself from her own stooper and thumped her foot-paw against the walkway indignantly. Her glare was chastisement in upon itself.  “Mingling about, at all times and places…”

Uncle Chuck held their old nanny’s shoulder like he were holding back a rowdy dog. “Now Rosie, maybe we should…”

She shirked Chuck’s metal paw away and bustle passed him, interrupting his placations. Lifting the hem of her dress and gliding along the oaken floor, she approached the glued-together couple and swiftly separated them. Rosie then occupied the small space between them, first facing Sally. With that she became much more reserved; the tension faded but still embarrassed Sally all the same. 

“We must keep appearances...” The matronly woodchuck began to pick off a few blue hairs from Sally’s cheek fur, collar, and auburn hair. With some quick and experienced handywork, Sally’s mane was a bit more tame, her vest buttoned, and her coat was zipped. “We have quite the auspicious briefing Princess, I do believe.”

Sonic gulped, scratching at the nape of his neck and ruffling his own quills. “Oh yeah, right… sorry Aunt Rosie, we were just - you know - discussin’ fine literature an’ all that jazz….” He flashed his Uncle a guilty smile, then gave Sally a quick wink.

Rosie let loose her trademark parental smile, “I understand Sonic, but you’re as much a leader as Sally now; you have to keep up with appearances as well…”

Sonic’s pupils shrunk to the size of pinpricks, his mouth slack-jawed. Those words were like ice water down his back. Keeping up with appearances was just not his shtick, not by a long shot. He was destined to make scenes, not temper them. Just as that uneasy thought grated through his mind, Rosie quickly patted him on the shoulder then began to straighten him out. The woodchuck chuckled as she conjured up a brush from her pocket, making light of the fact that the hedgehog just suddenly jumped out of his stooper and rocketed two feet in the air at the sight. He eyeballed the comb like it was a six inch syringe dripping with cyanide. “Now sit still, dear…” Rosie crooned. “It’s been over a decade that I’ve done this. Surely, you should be use to it by now.”  

Sally tried hard to repress a giggle at Sonic’s dilemma. Uncle Chuck himself wasn’t so good at hiding it, even with his steely stiff features.

Sonic groaned and bunched up his fists, miserable and indignant like a two year old getting a haircut he certainly would not like. He flinched and squirmed, tapping his foot impatiently as she combed back and wrangled with his wild quills, doing what she possibly could to make Sonic’s prickly quills and mane at the most presentable, Rosie then stepped back, looking at them both approvingly. “Now there,” she said as she clasped her hands and eyed her handiwork, “that wasn’t so hard was it?” 

“Yeah, soft…” Sonic groused under his breath “...jus’ like Dulcy’s landings.”  

Sally nodded and stepped forward, giving Sonic a final look. With a pained empathy she reached out and brushed his cheek. His quills relaxed slightly. “I’ll be fine; you’ll be even better - I know it. After all, you’re the hero…”  With a paw placed about her shoulder, Rosie parted the couple by leading Sally toward the central proscenium of the alcove. Sonic trudged reluctantly behind them, for once he felt a funny feeling - the urge not to rush…. He turned the corner with a huff, spotting Antoine greeting his girl before a handful of various guests.

“Moi Princess, you are as zhey say; so beautiful today.” The pompous coyote wiped away a tress of blonde hair from his face, priming himself to foppish perfection before royalty. He bowed over and daintily scooped up her paw, greeting it back with a kiss. Sally rolled her eyes, and her right ear cocked at an uncomfortable angle. Yet still she stayed polite; it was expected of her after all. She had to keep up with appearances. 

After Sally and Rosie took their seats, Antoine flashed Sonic a proud look, and clicked his heels, giving Sonic a dramatic salute. “Et ez abouts time zat you maintained zhose terrible… furs an' quills of yours.” He turned with his nose in the air, “I cannot stand to see zhe sweet Princess an' myself sharing zhe stage with such an unkempt 'edge-hog such as vou.”

Sonic eyes seemed to light up. His fists bunched tight with the wrinkling of his gloves and muffled crack of his knuckles. He huffed, refusing to take the bait…. Instead, he mockingly slapped his own sneakered heels together. Saluting back, he growled under his breath, staring daggers back at Antoine, face to face.

"And I can't stand a coward in a uniform..." 

Antoine stiffened more than usual and flashed him the evil eye.

Sonic stomped hard and swift atop the vulnerable tips of Antoine's shiny boots. He pressed in, then ground the heavy sole of his sneaker against the coyote's toes in a deliberately slow and heavy about-face. He slowly grinned, every single one of his fangs bared… his eyes narrowed.

Antoine tried to push him off with an embarrassed and hissing whisper: “You barbarian fuel!”

"And I really, really, especially, can’t stand one that won't even give me a single thanks fer savin' his hide an' the whole planet along with 'em." Sonic tugged on Antoine's sleeve, turning him about, forcing him to walk side to side, feigning casual conversation. He leaned in and hissed in Antoine's ear. "I do this stuff so everyone can be free - even you, Ant. Do me a solid and stop tryin' ta butter up Sal. At least do that for me, bud. All it does is annoy her an' make you look like a creep an' a sleeze..."

“You, Sonique Hedgehog did not save us or ze plan-ét! We were all zhere an' risqued ouwer lives an defeated zhat térriblé despot. You are ze, 'ow du you say… narcissi-”

"You all did - I ain't takin' that away from anyone, especially Sally an' Unc'." Antoine's ears perked up and his eyes widen a bit as Sonic cut him off short with a frustrated sigh, his fists on his hips. Something was off, even Sonic felt it about himself, but much like Antoine he could not quite place a finger on it. "I jus' wish you'd show me - an' everyone fer that matter - some respect. You didn't make matters better you know..." He found himself saying, his tone uncharacteristically even. "And for your information Ant, when I was in that jumbo Franken-roboticizor I -"

Antoine pulled away and went to righting his pristine uniform.

Sonic suppressed a growl in his throat with a swallowing scowl. That uniform, made so meaningless by actions, meant more to him than his comrades. Station was always Antoine's idol; he knew nothing of valor, he knew nothing of comradery. He just knew his uniform. "Nevermind..." he said as his voice returned to normal. "You wouldn't care anyway - end of the story doesn't involve a mirror. Maybe we can talk things through later… I think it's about time we did somethin' like that, like back in the day." 

Antoine rolled his eyes, but remained stoic muttering under his breath, “I believe you are tal-king about yourself; you ‘ave always been your own biggest fan.”

Sally cleared her throat, her eyes narrowed, glaring at the two of them. She impatiently waited for them to be seated, drumming her fingers against the table. Antoine took one big step forward and towards the empty chair right next to Sally, only to find a blue blur streak by and occupy his seat. 

“If we’re all done dilly-dallying I would love to get down to….” There was a sudden crash in the snow bank; a tell-tale green and rose-colored tail protruding out of the berm.

With a puff of white powder, A scaly muzzle poked out of the snow, sputtering out flecks of frost. “I’m home, Ma!”

An entire chorus of Freedom Fighters rolled their eyes; some facepalmed, “Hey Dulcy...”