The Retro Zone: Times & Things We Miss, Missed, & Wish to Reclaim.

Is there something you fondly remember from your childhood, adolesence, or even just a year or two ago that no longer exists? This is a topic to talk about all the retro things we miss, and wish could come back someday.

Me, personally, I miss rental stores, like Blockbuster Video. Netflix and Hulu streaming is great and convenient, but it doesn't beat a lovely evening, walking into a store, searching over rows of videos and games and interacting with people on what you both reccomend. Not to mention a little snack sometimes.

Any thoughts on this, or things you also miss?

• Like 1

Old man Jordo remembers all the fun he had at Blockbuster as a 90's kid...  Mine had a small play place where a tiny TV showing off kids movies and advertising new releases. I loved that when I was little (mom did too, she did not have worry about me wondering aimlessly through the store too much while she tried to find a rare free copy of some sappy romance like Titanic XD).

There was a more treasure-hunt like quality to a rental store. You had to interact with people and the merchandise. Because of such, you were so much more involved in your movie experience, kind of like the pageantry of the still surviving cinema. It was a much more personal and social experience: discovering some random person who likes the same B movies you do,  the buying of popcorn and concessions on your way out for movie night, the excitement of finding some game or movie you never ever heard of before...  Also, each store had their own weird personalized archives, much opposed to the more modern unified streaming channels of today. Not to mention, you never had to worry about your net acting up (just your tape getting eaten XP).

Being that I was born in '98, I don't have a lot of nostalgic memories. Too busy playing video games. I do miss a few things, though. I miss the times when I wasn't so bitter and Sonic wasn't a gaming punchline or such a slave to PR and merchendising. When FPS games weren't just considered COD clones (or just slime on a game disc) and COD itself has some form of respect. When publishers didn't ruin every game they laid their sweaty, greedy hands on. When the Archie comics...wait, they were never good, never mind. And, most of all...I miss the raspberry Mountain Dew they used to sell over here. *sniff* I get all teary-eyed just thinking about it...

1 hour ago, F07E said:

does anyone remember batman beyond? Geez that show was really dark sometimes, it was awesome.

I loved it when I was little. What was so engaging about the show was that it did not utterly dismiss Bruce for a new clean slate High-tech reboot Batman (think new Ghost Busters, ugh...).

Keeping an elderly Bruce as a main part of the story made me think about my life as a whole and how I will mature, like we all do, even Batman... How many times does one get such artistic depth in a "kid's show?" It makes us question such a distinction.  

It's amazing to see Bruce keep to his convictions and keep on living despite his age. 

• Like 2

I agree, it never seemed to compromise what made the previous show good, rather it celebrated what it did right and used it as a launching point to continue telling good stories. (the same cannot be said for ghostbusters, man that looks bad)

me and my brother were discussing recently how even gotham itself is still gotham at its core. crime still exists, and although bruce managed to mitigate it, its not like one man was ever going to get rid of crime completely. all he did was give the city hope, and after he hangs up the suit and the story shifts to terry many years later, you see just how pessimistic and bleak the city's gotten since.

As for the Incandescents: They do have a much warmer color, which makes them more inviting. Actually fluorescent lights are proven to be a form of depressant. http://ergonomics.about.com/od/lighting/a/How-Fluorescent-Lights-Affect-You-And-Your-Health.htm

13 hours ago, Haus42 said:

I miss  good ol' days of CN when shows like Ed, Edd n' Eddy or Johnny Bravo reigned supreme...

Oh gosh yes... The Golden Age of Cartoon Network, how I miss thee. I love this episode. Talk about Star Power. :D

• Like 1

Let's not forget all the good stuff from Nick before they went down the toilet, I'm still mad about The Final Angry Beavers episode never being animated, at least the audio came out...now this is the part where I would heavily rage about Hey Arnold's Jungle Movie...if it wasn't for the fact that apparently it's going to be made after all these years sometime in the future, DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!! :')

...I hope, otherwise the remains of Nick will be filled with Red Slime... @_@

6 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Still can get Glass bottled Cokes that are made from real sugar, you just have to import it from Mexico

It's not the same though; all of them were sweetened with sugar. None of that devil's brew HFCS like they have today. But at least I can drink Coke Life now, which has natural Stevia as the sweetener.

22 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

As for the Incandescents: They do have a much warmer color, which makes them more inviting. Actually fluorescent lights are proven to be a form of depressant. http://ergonomics.about.com/od/lighting/a/How-Fluorescent-Lights-Affect-You-And-Your-Health.htm

Oh gosh yes... The Golden Age of Cartoon Network, how I miss thee. I love this episode. Talk about Star Power. :D

I just want Saturday morning cartoons to come back.

The Littles, Captain Bucky O'Hare, American Reader, SWAT Kats, Fat Albert, BlackStar, Dungeons and Dragons, Alvin & the Chipmunks, Shirt Tails, The Biscuits, Muppet Babies, Dragon's Lair, Kissiefur, Wildfire, Real Ghostbusters, Garfield and Friends, and of course Sonic... I could just keep going.

*Edited for formatting.

• Like 1

Fox Kids had some great shows and crazy shows, mainly though I stuck around for all the Marvel Cartoons in the 90's, and yes even Power Rangers XP

On that note, The X-Men Cartoon was great, gave a lot of kids in the 90's the power of Marvel alongside Spiderman and other shows such as The Hulk and Ironman, catchy as heck intros too, however there we're two intros that we never got to see for The X-Men...and they are from Japan...

It's so hilarious it's awesome.

• Like 1
On June 6, 2016 at 10:52 PM, TheRedStranger said:

Those were the good old days. Still I'm happy most of those shows got to run for a long time before ending properly with a decent run. 

Except for Megas XLR...and Sym-Bionic Titan...

But hey, at least Samurai Jack's back.

As a side note, Ed, Edd n Eddy is my favorite television show.

I know it has been a bit since this was brought up but you don't even need to import Mexican Coca-Cola my local super market actually caries it, although it is a regional super market, and I am assuming other big chain might as well.

4 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Now who remembers when memory cards for systems such as the PS2 that were like 8mb and everyone considered that groundbreaking at the time.

Good Old Days

the saddest part is it feels like they had more storage than the xbox-one, I play one game and already 50% storage is gone.

it was a simpler time.

I miss the True Dukes of Hazzard. The remake was a slap in the face of all Dukes fans.

I miss the days before cellphones, when everyone was using CB radio and you could get the channels crossed and have conversations with truckers while working ground, or sitting around the house.

I miss MEGAS XLR. That was the greatest show ever to come out of Cartoon Network.

I miss Road Rovers. It was a lot better than all the other shows that Warner Bros made.

I miss SatAM and the days when no one would have considered calling Robotnik "Eggman".

I miss horror movies that were either kitchey and fun, or absolute nightmare fuel, before the days of lame "horror" imitators like Saw and Scream, and all these "haunted house" movies that can't hold a candle to the old Poltergeist movies.

I miss movie and TV show fights that were actually fights, instead of this "block, block, block, block, block, solid super-powerful hit" Matrix/Dragon Ball inspired "fight" nonsense... You wanna see a good movie fight? Go find a copy of Lone Wolf McQuade. Chuck Norris vs David Carrodine.

I miss the days when TV shows were supposed to be fun to watch, instead of "cringe-worthy drama-fest full of raunchy 'humor' that isn't funny to anyone who isn't stoned".

And, most importantly, I miss being able to write a check at Pizza Hut. Now I've gotta pay cash, since I don't have a credit card.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I miss the giant Charleston Chew candy bars.  I used to get them for $50 and then freeze them in the freezer.  Such a good candy.

I also miss the days before all the mobile devices came out:  every where I go people seem to be stuck on some screen instead of enjoying what is around them.

I also miss the gas cans before they came with all this "safety" garbage: it took me about 10 minutes once to put gas in my car, and I only emptied half the can.  Very frustrating.

As for videos, I miss animatromics and real scenery.  Everything is becoming so digital that the real life films don't look real.  The animitronics in Jurassic Park look more realistic than any cgi dinosaur that Hollywood has put on screen.

Oh, and I miss being able to play SSBB online since Nintendo discontinued online play for the Wii.

• 3 months later...

After getting moved into our new house I unpacked some of my old toys; some in particular I'm very fond of and am now letting my son play with are my Micro Machines.

I don't know how many I have, but there's a lot; I also have the gas can, wax can, distributor cap, and little credit car play sets. They (kind of) looked like the items and they'd fold out to have a place to play with the wee little cars. I also have a few Micro Machine trains and planes as well. A lot of great memories I had with them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2016 at 1:45 AM, Prince By-Tor said:

Games like these; they were my childhood.... I spent countless hours playing Maniac Mansion.

o.O; I still have that game! The number for the Meteor Police was different for every playthrough...Meteor Police...*laughs*

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MoKat said:

o.O; I still have that game! The number for the Meteor Police was different for every playthrough...Meteor Police...*laughs*

I remember 9111 would come up and also 1148 as well; there were actually about 8 numbers it would choose on a playthrough. I wrote them all down somewhere; I actually beat the game in 15-20 minutes because Dr. Fred's lab code was the same way. The only thing you had to do was get the glowing key from the bottom of the pool, which required you to have someone work out with the Hunk-o-matic machine (TM), so you could open the rusty grate and drain the pool. Also, I think I had to call the meteor Police once to get his badge so I could scare off the Purple Tentacle. So far I've done six endings; I especially love to get the Purple Meteor published, it's a great ending. I don't think I've fed the meteor to the plant yet; I know it's possible.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

@MoKat

@Prince By-Tor

I bet a lot of the guys like Perry, Wulfsbane, and F073 don't remember this:

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/20-internet-scenarios-from-the-90s-and-early-00s-that-will-make-you-feel-oddly-nostalgic-11363974940240

You have any fond retro internet memories? 

Well...wasnt around for that era of Internet. 

*looks at the Pop-up Ad section...and sees the integrated and nonremovable clickbait adverts below it*

Still,  nice to know that some things just haven't changed. Or changed for the worse. 

8 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

@MoKat

@Prince By-Tor

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/20-internet-scenarios-from-the-90s-and-early-00s-that-will-make-you-feel-oddly-nostalgic-11363974940240

believe it or not, I remember most of those problems except the movie related ones, and maybe a site or two.

it was around that time when we got our first PC with windows 98, and it crapped out almost a month later cause my dad was cheap and got it used from a buddy at his then new workplace. when we got our next computer in 01 it had XP, and my dad downloaded a bunch of game demos that me and my older brother played a ton, the ones I remember were AoM, mechwarrior (I think), crimson skies, and a first person shooter that to this day I still can't find, it may have been ghost recon 1, but I don't think it was.

• Like 1

Oh, yeah; a lot of those items were familiar to me :D

I remember Alta Vista, I still have some of those 3-inch floppies, I still have my Lycos/Tripod account, I ditched Hotmail because I hated it, my LinkedIn profile does -not- look like that (because I did not have one until 2 years ago) and #20 made me feel very nostalgic.

We never had Internet cafes here tho.

10 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

@MoKat

@Prince By-Tor

It's a good list, but the majority of wot's listed is not something I "miss having" per se. Computing today is so much better; lightyears ahead, I personally, have really no nostalgia about that time in computing except for the old video games and of course DOS... (RIP). Now, the 1980s computing, I do have nostalgia for; 5 1/4 512kb floppies and 5 minute load times for games that are smaller in size than this forum post... I dunno, there was something magical about playing video games back then, especially on my old Commodore/Amiga. Probably mostly has to do with me being a kid back in the 80s and being a teen in the mid-late 90s why I'm that way.

Give me Quantumlink (Q-link), 24 baud modem, 128K of RAM, and a 5 1/4 floppy and I'll be in nostalgia heaven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Caribe

Yes, we had virtual game worlds back then.

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2016 at 6:03 PM, Rick Tyger said:

I miss the days before online console play, where you had to have 3 other friends over to enjoy multiplayer mode properly.

*nods* At least a few modern titles (such as Diablo 3) have "couch co-op" as an option, though split screens (like those in Borderlands 2) kinda annoy me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2017 at 3:58 PM, MoKat said:

*nods* At least a few modern titles (such as Diablo 3) have "couch co-op" as an option, though split screens (like those in Borderlands 2) kinda annoy me.

I think that one has to have fond memories of Goldeneye 64's multiplayer mode to really appreciate split-screen play. My second best friend was the oldest, with 2 younger brothers and a younger sister. Add in myself, my best friend, and my best friend's little brother and sister, and a "1 hour per day" gaming limit, and we had us some fun times blasting the crap out of eachother in a tournament setting. And if we were at my house, it was "play as long as they're here" gaming limit. We learned all the nifty multiplayer tricks for that game. Like blowing up armor, where to put proxy mines, how to detonate remote mines mid-air, how to shoot grenades/mines/rockets and kill the person holding them, and even the infamous "projectiles stick in the air" glitch in the Bunker level (you have to blow up all 8 tvs at the same time).

• 1 year later...

Someone in government housing in @Senior Bobbert neighborhood threw out a Sony Trinitron CRTV a month back for their flashy new HDTV... Got washed out by the rain. Those sell for big bucks right now for Retro gamers. It’s sad to see poorer people waste opportunities for further prosperity in the ironic pursuit of material gain. Truly, character and education together is truly the only way out of poverty...I would have bought it from them in a heart beat.

Anyone here still have a CR?

20 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

Someone in government housing in @Senior Bobbert neighborhood threw out a Sony Trinitron CRTV a month back for their flashy new HDTV... Got washed out by the rain. Those sell for big bucks right now for Retro gamers. It’s sad to see poorer people waste opportunities for further prosperity in the ironic pursuit of material gain. Truly, character and education together is truly the only way out of poverty...I would have bought it from them in a heart beat.

Anyone here still have a CR?

I do. I’m unsure it works because it’s been in storage often. 

• 2 weeks later...