It's about time this game got a topic, so thanks to the makers of our favorite Android and iOS ports of Sonic 1, 2, and CD we're getting a new Classic Sonic game! All we know of it so far is Sonic's Drop Dash, Green Hill Zone once again making a return, the new Studiopolis Zone, and how this game will have more Classic Levels then New Ones. How will that work, will the game have a plot? Well I hope so, discuses and talk about this new entry in the Classic Era.

• 5 months later...

So...nothing's been said, yet?

Well, I guess I better lay out my opinions on Mania; I think it will be great. It's not like the guys behind this have the same neurotic absentmindesness as SEGA does, and I fully agree it looks like funtime breakfast. HOWEVER...I think the whole retro angle again is just getting cynical.

Oh, and for some reason a lot of people on DeviantART have put up these really idiotic image macros that say Mania will fail and that we're all sheeple/morons/what have you for thinking it might be good. I'm sorry, but there's no Sonic Cycle with this one; I'm not expecting it to rock my world, as it were, but there is a decent amount of evidence that it WILL be good. There's no Sonic Team or Big Red Button anywhere near this project...but there IS a SEGA...

• Like 2

first things first: "CURSE YOU CHRISTIAN WHITEHEEEEEEAAAAAADDDDDD!!!"

with that bad joke outta the way, I'm still on the wall about it. on one hand they seem to be keeping what people like and demanded out of the past experiences alongside what works game-play wise, on the other it sounds like they're over-relying on classic stages again, and that its like they don't want to really rock the boat even a little by allowing there to be more than what's perceived as 'classic'. I won't know more until the game's out (unless it already is and I missed it) but as it stands, I think its gonna do better than sonic 2k17.

and I'm STILL mad that there's no playable classic Amy or Cream, all the Amy in mods and pink edition proved that they're fun to play as!!!

13 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

So...nothing's been said, yet?

Well, I guess I better lay out my opinions on Mania; I think it will be great. It's not like the guys behind this have the same neurotic absentmindesness as SEGA does, and I fully agree it looks like funtime breakfast. HOWEVER...I think the whole retro angle again is just getting cynical.

Oh, and for some reason a lot of people on DeviantART have put up these really idiotic image macros that say Mania will fail and that we're all sheeple/morons/what have you for thinking it might be good. I'm sorry, but there's no Sonic Cycle with this one; I'm not expecting it to rock my world, as it were, but there is a decent amount of evidence that it WILL be good. There's no Sonic Team or Big Red Button anywhere near this project...but there IS a SEGA...

Wait there are people who are actually saying that? Huh, guess those people don't know their history with the devs, I've known of Whitehead and pretty much the whole dev team sans maybe the composers. I say that as I was on the same forum they usually hung out before they made the Retro Engine Sonic CD Port for Android and Steam, I don't know them personally mind you but I have crossed paths with them online before, they've made good work and before their Android Ports made really fun Demos throughout the years on SAGE. They know the mechanics of Classic Sonic games inside and out better then anyone else, if anyone can make a good 2D Classic Sonic game it's them, I have complete trust in them making a great game.

Although I have heard of a recent delay which does raise a brow for me, there's nothing concrete to say that there are any sort of problems with the game's development. Other then the debut of a Semi Original Desert Level there hasn't been much regarding the levels and game play until somewhat recently with all but the main boss of Green Hill shown. I can only really comment on so much but they reveal very little, granted our own @Wulfsbane was at Pax East this year and played some of the game it's generally a similar build as seen before with Green Hill and Studiopolis, sans the Drop Dash oddly enough.

I'd rather have all new Zones rather then some new and some old, and even then I wonder if bringing in Old Zones was the devs choice, otherwise game looks beautiful and I can't wait to play through it. Knowing me and Classic Sonic Games I can probably breeze through it rather easily, but still who knows.

• Like 1

Sonic Mania coming Summer 2017, Flying Battery Zone Confirmed

At this year's SXSW we were revealed quite a lot more information regarding the two major games for Sonic the Hedgehog in 2017. 

Sonic Mania, the Classic Based Sonic Game from the makers of the Android Sonic CD, 1 & 2 ports under their Retro Engine has been delayed and will be released during the Summer of 2017.

An old level of Sonic & Knuckles fame was revealed as Flying Battery takes the skies once again. Christian Whitehead made a video appearance as well for the audience in this year's SXSW as well before the announcement of the classic level, it was revealed that the game consists of 60% Classic Levels and 40% New Levels. It was also revealed that the Blue Eggrobo-like Badnik is some sort of "Hard-Boiled Heavy" as termed by Aaron Webber, which could hint at Boss Badniks much like the Sonic Master System and Game Gear games of the past. 

An upcoming soundtrack was announced that also includes a Vinyl release much like how several Sega classics in the past few years have had Vinyl releases. The Vinyl of the Soundtrack comes in a yellow slip adorned with the art of Sonic Mania on the cover, the Vinyl itself is a bright blue Disk matching the eye catching pallete of Sonic in-game.

The Special Edition still Includes a plastic cartridge case containing the game code for Sonic Mania depending on what console you buy it for along with a Classic Sonic statue standing atop a Sega Genesis Model 1.

Sonic Mania is still coming out for the Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and PC, we'll keep you covered in the latest as more information as soon as we hear it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm not surprised to see Stardust Speedway in here, yet I don't mind that at all. I do wonder if Act 2 of it will take place in the Present though as I assume Act 1 is in the past, even then location wise we're jumping from South Island to Little Planet. I hope whatever story is in the game makes any sense of this. XP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wonder if they will include more scrapped levels like the Hidden Palace Zone (Sonic 2 version), the Wood Zone, and the Genocide City Zone as well, if they already include Mirage Saloon Zone, which originally ideas came from the Dust Hill Zone once, basically.
Other than that, I'm already looking forward to play it. :)

• Like 1

Yes, I know. But I took especially Sonic Mania in consideration.
I would appreciate it if Christian Whitehead would put that remastered version of Hidden Palace Zone from Sonic 2 into Sonic Mania.
People will focus more on Sonic Mania than on the mobile version of Sonic 2, anyway. No offence. ;)

I don't know how you feel about that, but most of the people in my circle of friends and I who grew up with consoles, don't really like playing games on these modern mobile phones.
It just doesn't give you the same feeling as if you would play a game like the remastered version of Sonic 2 on a console.
They have horrible controller functions in my opinion. ^^
I personally have a Smartphone, but I don't play games on it.
I rather prefer to play on a Game Gear or on a Game Boy Advance, instead of on any Mobile Phones. ;)
Alright, the Switch is both in one so to speak, kind of.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2017 at 6:52 PM, Wulfsbane said:

this is awesome, and exceedingly worrying!!!

sega does have a habit of overshooting positive feedback.

*coughsonicadventure3cough*

17 minutes ago, F07E said:

this is awesome, and exceedingly worrying!!!

sega does have a habit of overshooting positive feedback.

*coughsonicadventure3cough*

Issue is that people argue 06 or Unleashed is Sonic Adventure 3. Doesnt help in Japan where Unleashed was called World Adventure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With nearly 4 days left we got the intro to Sonic Mania, looks very well animated.

I'm not sure if this counts as a spoiler but I think I saw Hydrocity and Lava Reef in the intro as well, which could mean my hypothesis about each Mainline Classic Game represented by 2 Zones each might be true, it's something I've wondered a few days ago but we'll see once the game finally comes out.

We also got a slightly better look at the Hard Boiled Heavies, the Customized Eggrobo Variants which I'm really digging, while they each look rather distinct considering there's five of them I'm getting much more of an E-Series sort of vibe more so than ever according to my speculation.

So with the game near by is anyone else still excited? Place your Pre-Mania Release thoughts here! 

So it's finally coming out tomorrow!

...sadly however as you might be aware the PC release is coming out August 29th, which is a bummer for those like me who don't have the Current Gen of Consoles. However with that and leaks abound I detest you all to not be discouraged by such. I think anything that would make the PC Release as smooth as possible is a smart idea even though it pushes back time i could play around with Mania. I've been hearing a lot of those on Steam calling for boycotts and refunds which is just way too much if you ask me, if you are unsatisfied with how the game is or might be then hey that's fine. But I'd say if this game is the kind that you'll know you have fun with like the Genesis/Mega Drive Originals I'd say you should keep that Pre-Order but that's just me.

Try to avoid spoilers if you can, even if you somehow catch a glimpse on what the game try to not let that bother you, from what I've seen of the game it's worth the wait. Created by fans who have loved the Classics for years and those that have made Fan Games, Rom Hacks, and Remix Tracks for over nearly 10 years I can't help but support it not only because of the game itself looking good but of the hard work they put towards it. Anyone who wants to see Sega Sonic be a better series in some small way I'd say should get it, if you don't like the Classic Series for some reason then yeah it won't be you're kind of game I'd say. I would say give it a chance though and see what it has to offer.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/08/tss-review-sonic-mania/

Not surprising is that the game is getting stellar reviews as well, I can't say if Mania is the game you'd want to buy, but for those who like the Classic Era Games then yeah it looks like it. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wowsers!  This looks totally past cool!  I wasn't planning on buying any new games, but I might cross that line with Mania...  That opening animation is brilliant in keeping the classic feel of the Genesis days, and I am glad they brought the 2 player mode from Sonic 2 back into the game.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

played it on release, so here are some of my thoughts:

- the references are wonderful and clever, not in your face

- the villains are really well designed, not too edgy, but still threatening in their own right as well as further serving to make robotnik more intimidating

- the boss fights are superb, some might not be too hard (a certain stardust speedway and chemical plant come to mind) but the trade off is that they are just plain fun all around

- all fears I had that the reference levels would be boring and uninteresting were thankfully buried 6 feet under after the first level (green hill was FUN for the first time in a long time)

- the new stages handled really well

- so much to talk about good, almost no bad aside from a glitch or two

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Akessel92 said:

So the hard boiled heavies definitely deserve to enter the classic sonic villain rogues gallery? 

Well, they've got more personality than the Deadly Six...and none of them talk. I'd say they deserve a spot.

Also, @F07E , I would disagree that there's little to complain about in Mania. I mean, the idea is still pretty cynical, but that does mean I admire Whitehead and the team for making Mania so much more than another Sonic 4, but I kind of hate that people are saying THIS is Sonic's "redemption" and that he's "back". And I don't like that we had to turn the clocks back decades (again) to get that far, just so people would stop taking the **** out of us...and some still do. Also, you know...DRM in the PC port. :/ Does Sega HAVE to screw something up in a Sonic game? At least they removed it, I suppose.

Actually no, I DO have a genuine complaint about Sonic Mania. It's missing a few things actual fangames had for the sake of ease-of-life, it's missing a few updates. Like, whenever you get a game over you have to start all over again and you lose all your score, stuff like that.

Got a few more topics;

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/09/7-amazing-things-that-went-unused-in-sonic-mania/

A number of things that went unused in Sonic Mania. A shame, really. They seem like decent stuff.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/09/meet-omelette-sonic-manias-accidental-new-boss-character/

Sonic Stadium's take on the whole "Eggman's Niece" thing.

• Like 2

Gotta say I'm digging Egglette as it's very hilarious, and again good job jumping in on the 7 unused things too.

So for those who don't know we're already getting mods for Sonic Mania already, so far it's just been sprite, palette, and sfx swaps but to see how booming it's been I'm very impressed with how quickly this progress has been going.

As for this mod itself while I don't mind the Cobalt/Sky Blue Palette Sonic has in Mania and as Classic Sonic in recent titles I gotta say I dig the Rad Red Palette for Knuckles as sometimes to me he seems a little too light regarding his Palette, but hey with mods we now have the choice on that so it all worked out well. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/2/2017 at 10:42 PM, SallyAcornLover said:

I don't know how you feel about that, but most of the people in my circle of friends and I who grew up with consoles, don't really like playing games on these modern mobile phones.
It just doesn't give you the same feeling as if you would play a game like the remastered version of Sonic 2 on a console.
They have horrible controller functions in my opinion. ^^

*nods* That's why I don't like playing platformers on a mobile phone. Most of my mobile games are RPGs or puzzle games.

As for Sonic Mania, It looks pretty cool. I saw Indeimaus' video about it recently, but I'm reluctant to post it cuz Indeimaus has a potty mouth.

• Like 1

Sonic Mania Plus Announced, Mighty & Ray Return!

You are seeing this right, you're not dreaming (believe me I checked) they are back and playable in the new update for Sonic Mania. Alongside them is the physical release of Mania Plus with a 32 page artbook, inside out Genesis/Mega Drive cover for the physical edition, a 4P Competitive Mode, and something called Encore Mode which gives you more life to the game with altered stages in some sort of way.

I was not expecting this and to me this is one of the best things you could give for Mania, I mean Mighty hasn't been seen since Chaotix and Ray hasn't been playable since his debut on Sega Sonic Arcade in 1993. That is some big news to me, even if Encore Mode doesn't add all that much to the game those two alone sold me this update however their gameplay is. I'm really curious if Mighty's gameplay is like in Chaotix or dare I say like in Sonic 1 Megamix, most of all however is how Ray is gonna fair as a playable character. I'm more excited about Ray than anything else here and how he'll fair, also I can't help but point out his Canon Immigrant shoes from Archie Sonic being a very nice and now canon touch brought from outside the games. It's a very small detail but it helps have Ray stand out more, that's a pretty big detail really.

So any of you are hyped about these two making their comeback? What do you hope Encore Mode will entice? Let us know and await the grand return of Mighty and Ray!   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first part of Sonic Mania Adventures is out! I'm really surprised it's so soon too but hey that's cool, so with that said check it out and let us know what you guys think. Also there could and might be spoilers for those who haven't beaten Mania and Forces to a lesser extent, but otherwise enjoy and let's see how this one goes.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I should be clear and tell you all that this is NOT Sonic Mania Plus, however this is quite an interesting turn.

There are new Level Transitions for every level, and there is basically a new boss but please guys no spoilers. It just has to been seen to be believed.
Apparently this is the update that will transition things over to the Sonic Mania Plus content such as Mighty, Ray, and the Encore Zones from what I can tell. There are a few more things but I'll update you as things go forward, it's looking good so far though. This will be the 1.04 patch and yeah, we'll keep you updated as new info is released.