http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/SAGE/2016/

Should have posted this when the event started, but this my friends is the topic for SAGE, an event that happens every year or so where fans can share their own demos and fan games with each other, most of these are Sonic Fan Games while sometimes you'll have a few other types of fan made or original games as well, as of this post I'd recommend you check it out now as this is the last day to see it, though usually there are always mirrors for SAGE and you could possibly check out a few previous SAGEs if you look them up.

I'd recommend checking out the 3D fan games this year, especially the surprise upcoming fan game Sonic Utopia, my favorites this year are 3D Classic Sonic Adventure, Sonic Round 7, Sonic Boom and the Smash Crew, Sonic Generations: The Lost Zones, and a few others as well, it's been a good SAGE this year.

So check out these games right now guys and enjoy, special thanks the the guys over at SFGHQ and Sonic Retro for always setting this up, I'll be keeping this topic up from here on out for future SAGEs so keep an eye out for this topic every year or so, till then happy SAGE everybody!

I've tried it and...I dunno. The main problem with any attempts to make Sonic in total 3D is the controls. They feel very loose because, you know, the speed. Makes it hard to keep on loops and platforms because Sonic veers to either side if you so much as glare at the control stick on your gamepad too hard.

With Green Hill Paradise and now Sonic Utopia it makes me wonder if fans are somehow wanting a 3D Sonic Game in the vain of Early 3D Platformer Collectathons, as in having mission based objectives and collecting items. Granted that doesn't seem to fit the style of Sonic though with open level layouts seen in those fan games it seems to me that might be the case considering the vast size of the levels.

With the physics of the Classic Games I'd say it would be interesting to play. Either way I like both games though Utopia I like a bit more, but Green Hill Paradise does have a lot going for it too.

With Utopia, I can't believe how much the physics remind me of the Sega games.  I think the guys did a good job at making the environment large for Sonic to roam but still have an end goal to discover.  I honestyl can't believe how excited I am after messing with Utopia.

• 10 months later...

Listen up, y'all:

SONIC 2 HD IS THE BEST THING EVER.

That is all.

Seriously, so much work and love has gone into it, and it shows! The project that's died and revived time and time again, and it's revived once again (under a different team, as the previous team because PagodaWest Games. Familiar name?), and looks like it's here to stay!

My only complaint is the physics feel a little... Heavy and sluggish at times, most notably when you jump. I'm sure that can be fixed before it's official release. I did notice some slowdowns, especially at the transition between Act 1 and 2 of Chemical Plant Zone, but nothing major outside that.

Now, time to check out some other games. But this one is the star of the show, no doubt about it.

• 2 months later...

Alright I'm posting this here cause it's a fan game and this guy actually got banned from SAGE cause of it.

PSA: Fangame Sonic Gather Battle has a malicious DRM, activating when trying to hack it.

This was found out buy a few people on a Discord channel

fDv8SD8OljT8OOkGiT2LNuduhjBdFiP2LMYQFPSW

More Explanation:

4556b3.png

29b548.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I must say, I'm REALLY impressed with Sonic Advance Remastered. Seeing that old art style again reminded me of why I loved it so much. I hold more nostalgia for those GBA sprites than I do any of the styles from the Genesis games...even if I'm a little bitter that they used the Sonic 2 style in Mania over the Sonic 3 style. I mean come on that looked so much better. Regardless, those Advance/GBA Sprites were THE sheets to use if you were making a sprite comic/movie in the early-to-mid 2000's. Simple, flexible, incredibly easy to edit and yet so eye-catching. The perfect starting point for some sprites.

Anyway, the game's pretty good too. I actually really like that Sonic has the Drop Dash from Mania. If there's one thing I do genuinely like from Mania, it's that move. I also like that it's the same stuff but with the modern conveninces of the platform. The controls are better, it runs smoother and best of all, it's in wide-screen! I can actually see what is going on in front of and/or behind me now! Also, I must admit, I also really like that you can play as Blaze and Shadow and Cream. Blaze in particular plays like she's still on the DS circa 2005, boost and all. I must admit it kinda, sorta...completely breaks the game in two. But that's why I love it. :D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/SAGE/

Quite a few days ago, SAGE 2019 kicked off!

This year brought quite a number of surprises. Not only do we more games not based on Sonic (be that original or fan games), but this also marks the first time I've seen fan games based on SatAM! It's been a really interesting year over at SAGE and I'd say you guys should check out what they've got. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for this site for WAY too long. Sonic Smackdown is cool, Pizza Tower...isn''t Sonic, but it's a damn fine Wario Land clone, uh, some of the others look cool. And we have a game supposed inspired by Freedom Planet.

A Sonic fan game...inspired by a Sonic fan game...inspired by Sonic himself.

Yo dawg.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 7/31/2021 at 10:26 PM, Mike Arcade said:

Welcome back folks! SAGE will be upon us once more in 2021! The list of games and such look excellent! Some really cool and interesting ones, some of which have been in the works for years.

It's gonna be a good one. :)

Good luck getting to do this with Nintendon't. Huzzah for Sega being so supportive to their creative fans. Any potential favorites?

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...