4 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Road Rash II: It took the Genesis Mini for me to see how chaotic and awesome this Racer is. Drive across a few US States on a motorbike as you punch, kick, and occasionally club your way to victory. Play with or against a friend at the same time! A must play for any fan of driving and mayhem.

I still have the Genesis cartridge of that one! Fun game ^.^

• Like 2

Guys…I bought the Tower of Power… Plan to set up all my retro consoles soon on my new media center. Should be glorious. I will list my collection down here soon. I actually have a lot of games Mike’s reviewed actually. 

When I was little @SGT Rock Vox took me aside and told me he had almost all the 1970’s Star Wars action figures, yet he sold them in the 80’s for a guitar when he became a teen. “My collection would be with thousand of dollars today, so don’t do what I did. Keep your popular toys somewhere safe.” To me, my toy collection was actually video games and I kept almost all of them. My collection is worth a lot now. Just my Resident Evil 2 on the GameCube is worth over 100$ dollars and I have RE, RE2, RE3, RE4 all on it. My collection is worth thousands. 

I give that same advise to you all, look into the scarcity and popularity of your toys, games, and collectible cards  and keep at least some of them  if you got them, if people out there want them in a yard sale for a five today, there might be a chance they want them for 1000$ tomorrow. You remember this especially, the littler half of @KlayaThePitbull. XP

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, granted I did sell my older Genesis and N64 games when I was in a pinch, I can always buy them back one day from a certain friend of mine. @TheRedStranger ;)

Granted, that's advice to live by. Lost many games over the years due to theft and loss via moving. Most of them are actually not too bad to buy again. Others like Lunar 2, MvC, and Mega Man Legends on the other hand...

On a side note, I'm glad we have emulation to preserve such games. While Nintendo will never admit it, it's why we got the Famicom game Recca on the 3DS due to its popularity via emulators.

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 1:27 PM, Mike Arcade said:

Imported Exceptions: Noteworthy, (Usually) English friendly Games from the versions of Mini Consoles outside of the US and Europe. I'd highly recommend that you check them out! 

Sega Mega Drive Mini

The Super Shinobi (The Revenge of Shinobi): This Classic from Ancient with music by Yuzo Koshiro is a personal favorite of mine that I grew up on. Joe Musashi must avenge his Oboro clan, save his kidnapped bride to be, and defeat Neo Zeed once and for all!

Controls for this game are much like Shinobi III, sans running or dive kicks. It's still an excellent Action Platformer that can provide a good challenge. Highly recommended!

Assault Suit Leynos (Target Earth): The first in the Assault Suit Series, defend the Earth from evil Cyborgs as you pilot a Mecha! This early Genesis game has a variety of weapons as you complete 8 levels that can be really challenging. Figure out what weapons are good for certain situations. It's a good game to try out, good luck!

I can also recommend the Remake for PC and PS4, which has more modern controls. Highly recommended for run 'n gun fans.

Slap Fight MD: This early classic from the legendary Toaplan got a Mega Drive port/remake in 1993. It has a weapon system much like Gradius, with each power up leading you down a line to select a usable weapon.

It comes with two soundtracks, an arrangement by Yuzo Koshiro, and two modes of play. Special Mode really shakes up the visual style, almost looking like a whole new game. This game is a real challenge considering the original was released in '83, but it's still worth checking out.

Snow Bros: Snowmen Nick and Tom must save their Princesses from evil forces in this platformer Arcade game. It's much like Bubble Bobble, with 50 levels and a boss every tenth level. You keep pelting enemies with snow until you ball them up. Push them to destroy them and any enemy in the way.

It can be tough, but it's a nice game overall and definitely fun with a friend.

Puyo Puyo 2: The Japanese hit puzzle game that became the next big Arcade game after Street Fighter II. It's much more balanced compared to the original, whose ruleset I previously described in my PPT review.

It's a great game, one of the best Puzzlers out there. Play it with a friend. :)

You can also get it on the Sega Classics Collection for the 3DS, and on the Switch as a Sega Ages title.

Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toisusen: The 4 player fighting game based on the hit Shonen Jump Manga/Anime! It's a really fun game with a bunch of playable characters from the series based on the famous tournament arc. The moves are executed much more simply than usual fighters, making it more like a beat 'em up. It's really amazing, and I wouldn't expect anything less from our friends at Treasure. Highly recommended.

Alien Soldier: Play as Epsilon Eagle as you try to take down the Alien organization known as Scarlet. It's a Run n' Gun game where it's focus lies on short levels, but TONS of Boss Fights! 

Master the controls and shoot weapons to collect more ammo for the ones you want. You can also hold multiple of the same weapons. After you run out of ammo you can recharge it by using a different weapon. Master using the Zero Dash to dodge along with the Dash Attack for maximum damage. Remember to counter shots to gain more health as well.

It's an excellent game from Treasure, though sadly it's only on the Mega Drive Mini for the Asia Market (South Korea, Taiwan, etc.). Thankfully, you can get it on Steam where it's cheap, especially on sale. I highly recommend you get this game, it's one of the best on the Genesis.

Musha Aleste (MUSHA): This is a highly sought after, and expensive, early shooter for the Genesis. One of the reasons why is that it was made by Compile, no kidding considering what series this is a part of. Another is that it's not just one of the best Shooters on the Console, but one of the best Games on the Genesis overall.

You play as Eleanor (Terri), who must go after the rogue forces of the AI Dire 51 alone and avenge her squad in the titular Mecha, the MUSHA.

You pick up the same of one of three weapons to power them up, each with their own use. Power up your main shot with the Pods as you gain Drones that can be arranged in a variety of different formations with the A button. B fires the collected RBG weapon, and C is for the main shot. You can also adjust the Mecha's speed by pausing and pressing left or right.

This game is simply phenomenal, with great pixel art, scrolling effects, and a METAL soundtrack. It's an excellent title that is normally marred by how expensive an original copy is, ranging from 300 to 600 dollars. Simply put, 80 or 100 for a Japanese Mega Drive Mini, importing one to legally own a copy of MUSHA is worth the price of admission alone.

It's one of the best shmups and games around, it's not too difficult either, it's just right. I can recommend this game to anyone, play it as soon as you can.

PC-Engine Mini

Due to how this Mini Console's games are laid out and categorized, I can't make a list for any of them as I already pointed them out in previous segments. Two of the games () on here are only in Japanese with no real translation. The only exclusive that you can play however…

Splatterhouse: All that's different is there is some more "splatter" to certain enemies. XP

But really it's mostly graphical changes, certain bosses, and the Terror Mask looking just like a Hockey Mask.

Considering this is the only game you could play on the Japanese PC-Engine Mini that doesn't have a language barrier, I can't recommend getting it just for this game. It's uncensored, but that's not really worth it.

Likes: Both Mini Consoles feel excellent and well built. They really are good mini replicas of their respective consoles.

The controllers for the Genesis and Turbografx-16 Mini feel excellent and very much like the originals. They are quite sturdy, but feel very light. The Turbo Switches for the TG16 Mini are excellent and help out massively for certain games in a pinch.

All Versions of the Genesis Mini have an excellent selection of games for their Regions. We got an overall balanced collection of hits in the US/EU Version. Japan has a good chunk of RPGs and Strategy RPGs along with a few more Shmups. The Asia Version has a mix and match from both US and Japan, all of which can be played in English including their exclusives!

Best of all, you have access to different versions of games! If you change the language to say Japanese, you get the Japanese versions of the games! Which can range from minor to big game play changes for certain titles. Sega and M2 went above and beyond here 

The Turbografx-16 Mini has a great collection of games, especially considering how many of them are from different formats. They didn't stick to just cartridge (HuCard) games, but those from their CD peripheral and their failed successor the Supergrafx! Now half of the collection consists of Japan Only games (as it was far more popular over there), but thankfully many of them can be played by anyone. Mainly because most of these games are in English, or because the Menus for these games are easy to understand. There are a few exceptions to these rules, and certain voiced cutscenes will be lost to you, but it's not bad at all.

Both Consoles have a ton of Rare Games. Games that range in Hundreds to even a Thousand dollars now! But with these Mini Consoles you can play such games Officially, which is a huge bonus. Especially regarding the TG16 Mini, compared to buying both Rondo of Blood and Sapphire it's a bargain no Retro Gamer should pass up on!

Dislikes: So regarding the Genesis Mini, I don't have many complaints regarding it. All the games feel fine and accurate, nothing is out of place. Although I do have a few gripes regarding some games being on here, besides Virtua Fighter 2 anyway. 

There are a lot of great games on here, but a good chunk of them have been on numerous Sega Compilations already. I don't have anything against these games on here, but we really could have used a few more obscure titles in the west. Granted, some early titles and mainstays like Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and Sonic are a given. But still, I would have liked at least 5 or so more games that haven't had any re-releases before.

Also, while the 3 button controllers are nice, it sucks to have to buy separate 6-button ones to better play titles like SFII compared to Japan having them by default. At the very least, the Retrobit Controllers have multiple console use and PC.

So while I may not have had many complaints regarding the Genesis Mini, the Turbografx-16 Mini on the other hand I have a few issues with.

For one, that plastic back cover of the Console was VERY tough to remove. In practice, you're supposed to remove it, plug it all in, then put it back on. I opted to leave the back removed as it was not worth putting back on.

Now, the TG16 is not that well known of a console, which means you'd want to put in as many hits as possible right? The thing is, unlike the Genesis Mini, there are some very noticeable omissions due to the original's smaller library.

For one are the odd exclusions like the 3rd Bonk and 2nd Star Soldier game, despite having the rest of the series on here! Another is the fact that we are left with 3 games in the US that English speakers can't play through without knowing Japanese. That is completely baffling. It just comes off as lazy on Konami's part when English speakers could have had 3 different games they could have played.

Granted, some of these missing titles are on say the Wii U Virtual Console, but that implies that'll be open forever...which it won't.

Another flaw is games that could have had a release here. Missing titles like the highly sought after Magical Chase and Super Darius II. Not to mention the bizarre exclusion of any Fighting Games like Street Fighter II, Asuka 120%, and Variable Geo.

You would think that Konami and Hori (the Hardware Devs of the TG16 Mini) would have banked on selling 6-button controllers like Sega has, they do have multiple PCE Controllers and a Multitap for sale after all. Yet they really dropped the ball on that, which is a pretty poor business decision.

Finally, is the odd way Konami had M2 list the games. Now I like the menu switching between the US/EU and Japanese Console Menus, however my problem is with how games are divided.

For example, you only have the Japanese Version of the first Bonk, but you only have the sequel's US Version. The lineup for many games that DO have US Versions are like that, and it's so bizarre why we couldn't have both for those certain titles! For some reason, Konami counted regional versions as separate games, and it's so strange that they did this.

Don't get me wrong, the games we have for the TG16 Mini are great overall, but there are so many weird choices regarding it. Not to mention how little the differences between the US/EU and Japan Version are.

However, one of the most infuriating things about the TG16 and the Japanese Mini Consoles...is the lack of an AC Adapter. You have to buy them separately from the Mini Consoles, which is just ridiculous. At the very least, we have 3rd Party Adapters that are much more affordable. That, and you can use certain ACs from Cell Phone Chargers, but be sure they put out the right voltage as that could possibly cause issues with your Minis.

Secrets: You can see the spines of the Genesis games by pressing B on the Genesis Mini menu.

If you hold select before you play certain games in the Turbografx-16 Mini, you'll get bonus games. Such as Near Arcade Versions of Fantasy Zone, Gradius, and Salamander with more Arcade Accurate graphics and sound!

Would I Recommend?: Considering the Genesis Mini goes for less than 80, especially on sale, I highly recommend you pick it up. It's a definite buy. The Japanese Mega Drive Mini can go for 80 too, or 100 if you buy the W version with two 6-button controllers. If you know what the games are on here, even with a good chunk of Japanese only titles (some of which have English Patches online), then it's so worth a pick up. It really is worth it for MUSHA alone regarding shmup fans.

Arguably, the Asia Version has the best mix of titles overall as it has MUSHA and titles like Shining Force II and Alien Soldier. However, I can't find any new copies of it anymore. Resellers want it for as low as 200. If there is a new production for this version, it's a must. Otherwise, only get this if you are a Collector.

Then there's the Turbografx-16 Mini. For some reason this was only sold as an Amazon exclusive. Which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact it got such a low print run! After 2020 we have yet to see any new printing of this Mini Console, which is a huge problem considering how sought after it is now, especially the US version. It goes for as low as 200 now and over, making it a hard sell for anyone now other than a Retro Collector.

It doesn't help that while the TG16 Mini is a great console, it's for a very niche audience. Heck, 21 of the games on here alone are Shmups, which is not everyone's favorite genre. For someone like me that knows the Console's history both inside and outside of Japan who are into niche titles, it's excellent. But because there has not been another new printing since then, I can't recommend it.

Doesn't help that Hori STILL sells new printings of the Mini's Controllers and Multitap, despite the Console itself not having another run. Just what is going on here!?

Final Thoughts: The Genesis Mini is for anyone that loves old video games, and I can say whole heartedly that anyone can buy it and have a great time.

Yet, it is also for those Hardcore Retro Fans that love to collect as well. There are quite a few niche and rare titles on here. If anything, it could also serve as a gateway for casual fans to check out types of games outside of the usual CoD or Madden that's out every year.

I recommend any version of the Genesis Mini, but the US version would be the cheapest option. Hopefully, you get one as well, or at least find a way to try out any of the games on it. Sega really did show with their Mini that Genesis Does what Nintendon't. ;)

If the Turbografx-16 Mini was still sold for its default price of 100 dollars, it's a complete steal for so many rare and obscure games all in one official package. But honestly, you have to know what you are getting yourself into to have a great time. Almost anyone can still enjoy it, but won't get the context of what many would say is an obscure console compared to the Genesis and SNES.

I will say that if there's another run for the TG16 Mini in the future, get one as soon as you can because it'll sell fast to those that want one for its default pricing. It's a very underrated system in the West, and I'd say at least give these games a second glance. Because while it didn't win the West, it laid the ground work starting in Japan with what we have today.

I've enjoyed my time reliving some old memories of these classics, and made new ones as well. I highly suggest you try out the games listed on these consoles, you never know what you may find.

This review has taken way too long to do, and I'm never gonna review two collections at the same time ever again. If at least one of you guys read it, then I've done well.

If any of you read a little of it, let me know what you think. :)

One of the Genesis games I like, besides Sonic, and especially Sonic Three, is that jewel game that is greek-like. You remember it? I like how it gets faster and faster, and how we can play against each other. I think I was getting good at it. Red can kick you butt at it though. XD

I remember when I was little, we would catalogues like these. I loved to look at the trains inside of them. I really loved military toys, and toy cars. I think the ones back then were better made, they typically weren'yt plastic but die-cast aluminum, and sometimes even better metals like steel. I sadly don't have any of my old childhood toys, most of them were given away. Anything left would be somewhere in an old farmhouse, or shed, or barn, in Indiana.

I never had anything like an Atari, and I did not have a Nintendo in the 80's, or 90's. I actually just got into consoles, but I would go to the arcade in the Cocomo Mall. Red helped Mike and me get a Nintendo 64, PS3, and a Xbox 360. I also really love the Sega Genesis mini. I have a lot of catching up to do, right? 😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Senior Bobbert said:

One of the Genesis games I like, besides Sonic, and especially Sonic Three, is that jewel game that is greek-like. You remember it? I like how it gets faster and faster, and how we can play against each other. I think I was getting good at it. Red can kick you butt at it though. XD

I recall most of those rounds before the last game going toward my favor, but you are thinking of Columns. XP

Cool article (even though it's from Wired)

How Out Run changed video games forever

In arcades, Out Run topped everything else in popularity and “wow” factor for years. The deluxe cabinet version – seven feet long and weighing 770 pounds – had a hydraulic-powered seat, and its vigorous shaking during crashes was thrilling enough that first-time players were eager to make a mistake just to experience it. It felt almost like a ride, except it simulated reality. “I remember playing racing and driving games as a kid, imagining what real driving would be like – but when I got my licence and started driving, it was nothing like those games,” says Michael Thomasson, a video game historian and former owner of the world’s largest video game collection. “Then Out Run came out. It was supposed to be fun and fast, but it was the first racing game that had hills and some depth to it, as well as trees and other objects that blocked your view of the road. To me, it felt like the first game in which I was really driving a vehicle.”

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 5:17 PM, MoKat said:

Cool article (even though it's from Wired)

How Out Run changed video games forever

I've played quite a bit of Outrun back in the day, and while I have yet to obtain a Switch regarding it's port on there (does it have a port on the Switch?), I do have the 3DS port.

Considering I'm a big fan of SEGA, of course I had to check out the series. It's a fun Driving game, and I say that specifically as while it is a Racing game by genre, that's only in name only. If you never played an Outrun game, you don't necessarily race anyone, rather you are driving cross country (or around the world, depending on the game) to make it to a destination. Outrun has an excellent soundtrack, much like Hang-On, and of course just like that game my personal favorite to pick before a playthrough is of course Splash Wave. 

Thanks for the article MoKat, real fun game.

• Like 1

Neo Geo Pocket Color Selection Vol. 1 got released on Steam recently!

It's a bit different from the Switch version as it has one game in that wasn't in the Switch, but otherwise it's the same collection with a bunch of different games. Granted, half of the games are Fighters, but I'm not posting it on the Fighting game Topic because of the different games. Either way, I've played these games before, but if you want to officially own them and are fans of SNK Fighters and Metal Slug I'd highly recommend it.

I must point out though that on Steam, the NGPC SNK vs. Capcom game is sold separately...for some reason. It could be because of Capcom's license even though it's in the Switch version of the Collection, but still. I'll talk about that in the Fighters Topic. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I said I was gonna install Fallout & Fallout 2 on a Win10 system...and I did it.

I selected "humongous" installation for both (so I wouldn't need the CDs to run the games) & was rather surprised that they didn't require any tweaking in order to run properly. (Games that use old versions of Direct X can be wonky :P )

Anybody know of a good & easy way to record gameplay within Win10? I'm tempted to do a Fallout speedrun ;) {Edit: OBS seems to be up to the task; I just need to learn how to use it properly ;) }

Fallout-on-Win10.jpg

Fallout2-install.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 1:23 PM, MoKat said:

I said I was gonna install Fallout & Fallout 2 on a Win10 system...and I did it.

I selected "humongous" installation for both (so I wouldn't need the CDs to run the games) & was rather surprised that they didn't require any tweaking in order to run properly. (Games that use old versions of Direct X can be wonky :P )

Anybody know of a good & easy way to record gameplay within Win10? I'm tempted to do a Fallout speedrun ;)

Fallout-on-Win10.jpg

Fallout2-install.jpg

Very interesting! I've heard that running them on modern OS can be a nightmare.

Stranger just asked you to get them running on MacOS. XP

https://www.retrorgb.com/atomiswave-dreamcast-arcade-ports.html

Someone at the tail end of last year managed to port a few games onto the Dreamcast like Metal Slug 6 and Samurai Shodown 6, as the Atomiswave arcade board is based off of the Sega Naomi board (which is the basis for the Dreamcast).

• Haha 1

Recently I've partaken to Dreamcast emulation, and while on the current laptop can't run every Dreamcast games well due to slowdown, it can run a lot of the earlier, more 2D entries well like Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

And since a version of Flycast and the latest Fightcade 2 has the ability to play such games online, if anyone wants to play such games together, let me know. :)

On that note, will take until December till I can get a Laptop with better RAM thanks to @TheRedStranger, would love to play Power Stone 2 with 3 of my friends.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, Mike Arcade said:

I've heard that running them on modern OS can be a nightmare.

If the game is 32-bit and uses Direct X, you stand a good chance of getting them to run under Windows 10. If it's a 16-bit game, Win 10 won't even install it; you'd need an emulator or a VM.

Oddly enough, the Sega Smash Pack CD's which were designed for Win 95/98 installed & ran perfectly fine; now I just have to git gud at Sonic Spinball again.

Might & Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven also installed, but sometimes it freezes during play & takes everything with it, forcing me to reboot the system. I think it's a sound issue because everytime it's happened, there was either a transition with the music or it was just after a sound effect played. Like I said before, games that used old versions of Direct X can be wonky :P

{Edit: Might & Magic 7: For Blood and Honor  had the same issue, btw.}

{Edit #2: Just realized that both games used the same engine, so of course they have the same issue🙄

Edited by MoKat
added another comment
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:33 PM, MoKat said:

If the game is 32-bit and uses Direct X, you stand a good chance of getting them to run under Windows 10. If it's a 16-bit game, Win 10 won't even install it; you'd need an emulator or a VM.

Oddly enough, the Sega Smash Pack CD's which were designed for Win 95/98 installed & ran perfectly fine; now I just have to git gud at Sonic Spinball again.

Might & Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven also installed, but sometimes it freezes during play & takes everything with it, forcing me to reboot the system. I think it's a sound issue because everytime it's happened, there was either a transition with the music or it was just after a sound effect played. Like I said before, games that used old versions of Direct X can be wonky :P

{Edit: Might & Magic 7: Day of the Destroyer has the same issue, btw.}

I forget what it's called, but there's a mod for M&M8 that allows you to play through 6&7 plus use the same characters all in one save file.

17 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

I forget what it's called, but there's a mod for M&M8 that allows you to play through 6&7 plus use the same characters all in one save file.

I've heard about that. The mod is OP; imagine starting M&M7 being able to cast Day of Protection & Armageddon :icon_SHOCKED:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've fixed the issue with Might & Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven, so maybe I'll finally be able to record the game's "Easter Egg". It's an area in the game that was based on the layout of New World Computing's offices, and thanks to a strategically placed Fly scroll, you can reach it from the very beginning of the game.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://segaretro.org/Heavy_Nova

For this topic, I just wanted to share an old favorite of mine. This game came out originally for the Sharp X68000 computer in Japan, and was then ported to the Mega-CD. Afterwards, it was then ported to the Sega Genesis for the US. It was going to come out in Europe, but never did. At least, not in retail, but it was a rental for Sweden. Weird porting history, from X68K to Mega-CD (Sega-CD), THEN the Mega Drive (Genesis) only in America.

Now, a lot of places online tend to write this off as a bad game due to it's controls and music, but I may be the sole defender of this game. It's really not as bad as people say it is. It is a bit stiff, but it can be really fun. You gotta take you're time and strategize with your movements and attacks. It's all about timing with your hits and movements, rather than something fast pace like Street Fighter II. Best way I can describe it as a Mecha Karate Simulator, though in Versus Mode you can select some Robots that can't jump and can only Punch. It's Multiplayer is it's best feature to be honest, and it's great to play around with your friends. :)

Also, the Music is actually really cool. I'll leave a playlist for the Genesis version as next to the Mega-CD version, it's the best rendition of the soundtrack.

It's got some great beats with that fine FM Genesis Synth. My favorite track out of all of them has got to be the Results screen. Seriously, after all these years it's still stuck in my head. Very underrated to be honest.

So, do any of you have a favorite game that is not well received? Let me know and let us appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2022 at 12:04 PM, MoKat said:

A friend of mine had this one:

Aladdin - Sega Genesis Review

Great game, but very frustrating at certain points. At least the animation was awesome ^.^

I have yet to really play Aladdin, but I can at least say unlike the SNES game, it actually got ported to other consoles years later.

#genesisdoeswhatnintendon’t

• 2 months later...

Though not announced yet internationally, a Mega Drive Mini 2 has officially been announced! Now with Sega CD games included with over 50 titles! Including a brand new Mega Drive Port of the Original Fantasy Zone.

….and no, I won’t be making an insane review like last time. XP

I’ve been meaning for months to do a post asking if you guys would like a Genesis Mini Sequel and what games what you’d want, but now it’s official!

• Like 1

Capcom has another Arcade Stadium Collection in the works! With the success of the previous one, it only made sense to see another as well (Capcom DOES have a ton of Arcade Games after all). Noticeable games include Black Tiger (an old side scroller), Street Fighter (The Original! But it's not a great game), 1943 Kai, Eco Fighters, Saturday Night Slam Masters, and both Mega Man Arcade Games. The only oddity among this collection is that, there are a lot of repeats from collections that came out at least around 5 Years Ago (Like Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3). Even some of these games are getting a recent re-release with the Capcom Fighting Collection (Darkstalkers, Hyper Street Fighter II). I just find it bizarre is all, but perhaps these different collections are meant to cater to different audiences. Arcade Stadium is for Casual Fans, with Fighting Collection those that are into Fighters in general. Either way, one or the other (maybe both) could suit your needs this Summer. :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

I just find it bizarre is all, but perhaps these different collections are meant to cater to different audiences. Arcade Stadium is for Casual Fans, with Fighting Collection those that are into Fighters in general.

That seems likely. It also could justify adding games that really don't fit in with the other releases or haven't been available on modern systems.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MoKat said:

That seems likely. It also could justify adding games that really don't fit in with the other releases or haven't been available on modern systems.

Yeah several games from the last Arcade Stadium like 1944 and Progear had never gotten a re-release so there's that. Capcom is smart enough to as least do that. Only problem with this series of completions is it's lack of Online Play (there's High Score and Time Ranking, but still). Hence why I say Casual. If you want to say play Cyberbots online, either get the upcoming Capcom Fighting Collection, or set up Fightcade 2 with a ROM. At least the Former is a legal way to do so for those that want to do that, and to support the company.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This happened about a Month Ago, but Marble Madness II, after over 20 Years of only being in the hands of a few Arcade Board Collectors, has FINALLY been released out there to the public. You can even play it now on MAME! This is great news for gaming preservation, and while it's not anything completely world shattering, it's nice to finally being able to play it.

In other news, we got 10 More Games revealed for the Mega Drive Mini 2!

We got some expected games, like the Genesis Port of Outrun, as well as After Burner II. Both of which are decent ports, though the scrolling for Outrun is pretty choppy. We also got Columns III and Splatterhouse II, both of which are excellent games so no complaints here. We do have a few obscure in the west, Japan Only games like Megapanel (looks like a fun Puzzler), Puzzle & Action (which does not have an English release on the Genesis), and Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (which DOES have a Fan Translation Online, I heard it's a good game. Also, it's based off of a Gainax Anime).

The pickings for Mega-CD games are StarBlade, the Arcade Classic from Namco which did come out internationally for the Sega-CD. Joining it are two Japan Only ports, that being Night Striker, an awesome Rail Shooter with a Flying Car, and The Ninja Warriors, a port of the Classic Arcade game with some of that Funky Taito Music. I'm actually happy both games made it to this collection, and if we get an International Release for a Genesis Mini 2, I could see Taito's ports being left in as both games are mainly in English.

Last, but certainly not least, is a game obscure even for me! Star Mobile, a Puzzle Game for the Sharp X68000, apparently had a Mega Drive port which went unreleased...until now! Heck, it was never even found and dumped online, making it the first time it's MD Port has ever seen the light of day. I have no experience with the game myself, but it's certainly made me curious now to try out the original. What other secrets does this Mini Console have in store? And what will a Genesis Mini 2 look like? Are there any other X68000 or Arcade Ports we could see? Let us know what you think. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://shmuplations.com/archive/

Here's a real piece of gaming history! It's a bunch of translations of interviews, majority of which are from Japan, about several games from Final Fantasy VII to more obscure games like Alien Soldier. They do is great stuff and provide insight on games that may seem simple on the surface, but are anything but. Check it out whenever you can. :)

• Thanks 1

https://sega.jp/genesismini2/

It’s official! The Genesis Mini 2 has been confirmed! Not to mention almost half the titles for the console, including sleeper hits like Vectorman 2 and The Ooze! We also got Sonic 3D Blast, because it can’t be Sega without Sonic. ;)

Looks like we got a really sweet deal outside of Japan, because we got Rolling Thunder 2 rather than the more obscure puzzler on the Mega Drive Mini 2. Also, Shining in the Darkness, which I think was in the first one, but never used on the Mini 1. We even got Alien Soldier, which was exclusive on the Mini 1 in Korea and Asia territories!

Only thing that’s not great is it’s Amazon exclusivity, which I really hope doesn’t lead to massive shortages like the TG-16 Mini. Hopefully that doesn’t happen with Sega under the helm.

Otherwise, this is turning out to be an excellent Mini Console! :)

• Thanks 1

https://sega.jp/mdmini2/titlelist.html

Okay, Round 3 everybody! Things are really ramping up with the Mega Drive Mini 2, and we got a LOT of good hits on this list of titles.

For one, several titles that I thought were going to be on this Mini Console have been confirmed, though to be fair a bunch of them were no brainers. For one, we got Final Fight CD, I mean to be fair after Streets of Rage 2 on the last Mini, it makes sense to put this one in. Another obvious one, as to go with the 6-Button controller, is Super Street Fighter II. A classic no matter how you play it. We also got BOTH Lunar games, absolute favorites among Mega-CD titles, though many love the first one, I've always been more partial to Eternal Blue. Lastly, the Mini 2 is getting the Toaplan Arcade Classic Tatsujin (Truxton, as it's known internationally) and Fatal Fury 2, the latter of which is a pretty nice surprise.

We then have several Japanese Only titles, such as a Mahjong game, one about Sumo Wrestlers (which does look kinda interesting), a Mega-CD Completion Title, and a New Mega Drive Port! This one being a title that's known internationally as Spatter.

...I'll be honest, while Spatter looks like a decent Arcade Game, and that it looks better than the original...gotta say I was pretty disappointed with this one. I'm all for Obscure Arcade Ports, but it's not particularly like Fantasy Zone or Star Mobile. Hopefully we'll have another New Port on the way for future reveals that could really blow us away.

So, how do you think this Mini is looking so far, and what sort of games are you hoping for? Let me know and let's see about getting this discussion going. :)

@ByTor, Prince of Ro’den @MoKat As those of you who are more familiar with Arcade Games from back in the day, what sort of New Genesis Ports would you like to see? I've got a few I'd like to speculate and share (along with some Japanese PC ones), but I'd like to hear from either of you first. 

For one, several titles that I thought were going to be on this Mini Console have been confirmed, though to be fair a bunch of them were no brainers. For one, we got Final Fight CD, I mean to be fair after Streets of Rage 2 on the last Mini, it makes sense to put this one in. Another obvious one, as to go with the 6-Button controller, is Super Street Fighter II. A classic no matter how you play it. We also got BOTH Lunar games, absolute favorites among Mega-CD titles, though many love the first one, I've always been more partial to Eternal Blue. Lastly, the Mini 2 is getting the Toaplan Arcade Classic Tatsujin (Truxton, as it's known internationally) and Fatal Fury 2, the latter of which is a pretty nice surprise.

👏😁 A frined of mine was a big fan of Lunar 😎

We then have several Japanese Only titles, such as a Mahjong game, one about Sumo Wrestlers (which does look kinda interesting), a Mega-CD Completion Title, and a New Mega Drive Port! This one being a title that's known internationally as Spatter.

...I'll be honest, while Spatter looks like a decent Arcade Game, and that it looks better than the original...gotta say I was pretty disappointed with this one. I'm all for Obscure Arcade Ports, but it's not particularly like Fantasy Zone or Star Mobile.

Interesting...

So, how do you think this Mini is looking so far, and what sort of games are you hoping for? Let me know and let's see about getting this discussion going. :)

@ByTor, Prince of Ro’den @MoKat As those of you who are more familiar with Arcade Games from back in the day, what sort of New Genesis Ports would you like to see?

The Mini is looking good so far ^.^

As far as new ports go, nothing in particular comes to mind right now, but I've always liked ports of obscure games. That sumo wrestlers game sounds interesting, and I can sorta see why it never made it out of Japan before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They’ve released recently a new remaster of Klonoa 1 (it’s Remake) and Klonoa 2 in one package! They’re great platformers whose originals go for quite a lot. Now, they’re affordable for PC and Current Consoles. Check ‘em out! Also, he looks a lot like a Sonic character in the sequel and then on. XP

Also, Pac-Man World is getting a remake! Looks really good, although it does replace Ms. Pac-Man sadly due to weird legal issues. This was an old childhood favorite of mine, and it looks better than ever. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Next batch of games for the Mega Drive Mini 2. Some pretty good hits overall like Ecco CD and Gain Ground, but pretty low key overall. The new port that surprised me though was SNK’s Viewpoint, which already had a Genesis release! Though the original port was not the best, plagued with slowdown and issues.

Still, it’s a nice surprise. I’m excited to see what the last batch will bring, and how the International release will differ.

Edit: So Viewpoint here is not an updated version. Nor was its Genesis port bad with slowdown actually, my bad. It’s considered Special Content because this port was never released in the US.

We got the full lineup for both versions of the Genesis Mini 2 everyone! Gotta say, overall we got a lot of good games for both mini consoles. 

For one, we do indeed get Night Trap. I mean even Japan gets Night Trap, it’s that big of a game, seriously it’s Japanese release on here really surprised me. In the US we got Sewer Shark, which…alright? Really would have preferred Android Assault or Eternal Champions CD over it.

Japan got StarCrusier, which is suppose to be a really good game, that did get a fan made English Patch years ago so check it out that way.

Both sides got Atomic Runner, Granada, and Ranger-X, all of which are good shooting games so no complaints here. Speaking of, we all got Midnight Resistance, and in the US we got Element Master and Hellfire. The latter two are really good games, though I’m surprised Hellfire made it over Zero Wing. All your base are belong to us anyone? XP

To be fair, while I think Hellfire is better than Zero Wing overall, I would have preferred Grind Stormer.

Ristar rightfully is in the Genesis Mini 2, along with Herzog Zwei, and we got Desert Strike! Surprised they didn’t go for the Unreleased Sega CD Collection of the Strike Games.

Now, as for the Special Games, we got a port of the 1982 Sega game Super Locomotive, which is…ehh. The biggest surprises are quite amazing though. There’s this breakout type game called Devi & Pii, which looks pretty fun, and was made by Iizuka before he went on to work on Sonic 3.

Best for last though, is a Vs. Mode Only port of Puyo Puyo Sun! Which so far looks incredible as a Genesis Port. Finally, we got an Actual Updated Port of Space Harrier II with much better scrolling…and the Original Space Harrier for the Genesis apparently included in it!

I heard that M2 wanted to make an Arcade Remake of Space Harrier II after their Remake of Fantasy Zone II back in the day, and I gotta say that’s a real nice compromise. Glad to see how it differs from the original.

I got a lot more to say later, so until then comment on which version of this console you would like to get. :)

• Like 1

Here’s the complete list of Japan’s Mega Drive Mini 2, which is a great collection for those over there. Although it’s a real bummer that we didn’t get Popful Mail or Lunar 1 & 2.

My second biggest gripe about the Genesis Mini 2 lacking those games, and apparently not every game will get their alternate versions via language switching. Which might mean you can’t play those games in English should you get the Japanese mini console.

Biggest gripe of mine is how the Genesis Mini 2 has far less CD titles over Japan’s. I don’t understand why StarBlade didn’t get in, and really we could had a few more like Sol-Feace, Time Gal, Earthworm Jim CD, and Panic. I mean there were more options outside of licensed games like Spider-Man or Terminator. Also, Snatcher really can’t catch a break can it?

I wasn’t expecting a Mortal Kombat game for us, or Eternal Champions CD, as they would have raised the rating up to an M. But they’re still missed.

I will say that we do kinda get made up for it with more Genesis titles, so it’s a give and take on what you like more. I can say that Genesis wise that we got a great line up, bar one dud.

While I do like Clayfighter, it really shouldn’t be on this console, heck they didn’t even use its Tournament Edition. Still, better than seeing Virtua Fighter 2 for the Genesis AGAIN.

Overall though? I think it’s a fine Mini Console with a lot of good titles, though not the Sega-CD Rarity Collection many thought it would be.

I can’t see there being a 3rd Genesis Mini without some repeat titles, and you really could have it without any 32X titles.

So, you guys think this would be cool to have? And what titles would you like to see if we got a 3rd Mini? Let us know. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Arcade said:

I can’t see there being a 3rd Genesis Mini without some repeat titles

Me neither.

Biggest gripe of mine is how the Genesis Mini 2 has far less CD titles over Japan’s. I don’t understand why StarBlade didn’t get in, and really we could had a few more like Sol-Feace, Time Gal, Earthworm Jim CD, and Panic. I mean there were more options outside of licensed games like Spider-Man or Terminator. Also, Snatcher really can’t catch a break can it?

Nope 😅

So, you guys think this would be cool to have?

Yes!

{Edit: *checks collection* I still have Shining in the Darkness; fun RPG ^.^}

{Edit 2: *wonders if Shin Megani Tensei will or won't be so heavily censored this time*}

• Like 1

@MoKat I highly doubt Shin Megami Tensei would be censored as it’s only on the Mega Drive, and menus aside it’s all in Japanese. Unless you can read it, yeah not very accessible to anyone else sadly. It’s a shame as I like  SMT1. Played the SNES English Patch, although now there’s a PS1 English Patch so that makes up for it.

I’d like to get the Genesis version if I can, as the Western versions tend to go for a lot more in the after market usually. Unless the Mega Drive version does have English versions of Lunar 1, 2, and Popful Mail. But I highly doubt it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

...as it’s only on the Mega Drive, and menus aside it’s all in Japanese. Unless you can read it, yeah not very accessible to anyone else sadly.

Heh, I forgot about that. :P

18 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Played the SNES English Patch, although now there’s a PS1 English Patch so that makes up for it.

Almost. It would still be cool if they made an official uncensored English release of the game, but that seems very unlikely.

• Like 1