http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FightingGame
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeatEmUp

Hello again everyone and welcome to a topic that was long overdue, in here we get to enjoy talking about our favorite Brawlers & Fighters! I mean really I'm surprised I didn't do this one sooner as like Shmups I'm a huge fan of both genres myself and unlike Shmups chances are many to almost all of you have brushed into them and didn't even realize it. I mean you have you're standard 2D Fighters (Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear), 3D Fighters (Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Dead or Alive), and Beat em Ups (Double Dragon, Final Fight, Streets of Rage) that you may have heard of but the depth of these genres are often tied together and cross over with different sub genres and elements appearing in other games.

You got you're Mascot/Platform Fighters (Super Smash Bros, Rival of Aether, Onimusha Blade Warriors), the Hack n' Slash games where you use weapons (Golden Axe, Dynasty Warriors, The King of Dragons) and Spectacle Fighters/Character Action Games (Devil May Cry, No More Heroes, Bayonetta). Not to mention the differences between Fighters such as "Anime" Fighters (Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Melty Blood) and those mentioned above, along with Fighters that mainly use Weapons (Soul Calibur, Samurai Shodown, Weaponlord). Even some of you're favorite games could be considered Fighters or Beat em Ups in such a way like the Diablo Series, Kingdom Hearts, even the Batman Arkham Series has it's roots in Brawlers of the past if you couldn't tell.

With these two genres having such a broad meaning throughout the years this is why I made this topic if only to not making stagnant topics covering each individual series and game (As that would drive everyone crazy and clutter the forums), so for all you fans of Fists, Blades, and seemingly endless armies of baddies to take down this place is for you.

So share some of your favorite games of these Genres and discuss, what you like about them, what you don't, anything regarding some of our favorite classics and current games, even upcoming ones that you can come across.

ARE YOU READY? FIGHT!

I remember there was this...I THINK it was a parody of the average beat-em-up called Streets of Fury EX. I watched videogamedunky play it and I decided to get it too. It was a RIOT, let me tell you, if a bit inbalanced. My favourite character was Bob Lennon (the guy with the red trenchcoat), partly because he looked the coolest, partly because he had the best attacks and animations but also because he could pull off a full 10-hit combo when most other characters could only pull off 2 or 3-hit combos.

Dunky's video (SWEARING AND STUFF)

• Like 2

I did post this launch trailer over here in our New Games/Video Gaming News Topic
http://freescribesofmobius.ipbhost.com/topic/179-new-gamesvideo-gaming-news/?do=findComment&comment=3418

But still this belongs in this topic just as well if not more so, backed by Kickstarter 4 years ago it finally arrived on February 27th! This is a really fun game and one of the best beat em ups that's come out in recent years, These fans decided to make a sequel to River City Ransom and got permission and support from the Original Creators of the game and the rest as they say is history, while there was worry when Arc System Works bought the rights of the Kunio/River City and Double Dragon Series they were just as well on board with the project, with that the game came out. Granted there have been bug fixes since the initial release was a bit buggy but not too game breaking but most problems the game had in it's release are fixed now with more care being put into it to make it the best game possible from it's devs.

Now here's the thing I find really interesting about River City Ransom Underground, you see it is a sequel to River City Ransom, but only a sequel to it's localized US Version and not the original Japanese Version of the game that was called over there as Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari. The Story of both games are basically the same with the only exception being different names for every character (Alex is Kunio while Ryan is Riki for example) and every guy wears Pants and Shirts instead of Japanese School Uniforms. What's funny is before Underground's release Arc System Works has been making and porting over a few of their most recent Kunio Games which are marketed as The River City Series such as River City Super Sports Challenge ~All Stars Special~ and River City: Tokyo Rumble with all the Japanese Characters.

Meaning we now have two timelines so to speak, one that has Kunio and Friends while the other has Alex and Friends in River City, seriously why other publishers don't do this is beyond me. Now I wanna see who would win in a fight, the Older Alex and Ryan or Kunio and Riki. xD

Check this game and series out, there are english translations of the original Famicom games you won't regret it, the only thing Arc System Works has to do is keep porting all these games over here if you ask me. Well, whenever they aren't working on more stuff for Guilty Gear Xrd anyway.

13 minutes ago, F07E said:

Last comic expo they had this particular games cabinet available in the game hall:

NINJA BASEBALL BAT MAN!

weird as it gets, I actually really enjoyed it even if I was complete garbage at it.

Dude I love that game it's awesome! Seriously it's a blast, funny story it's a US made game if you can believe it, at least the content of it was. You can read it on the wikipedia page it's quite interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Baseball_Bat_Man

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheRedAuthar said:

Meanwhile Crash 'N' The Boys is sitting there wishing to be acknowledged again.   

You do realize Crash Cooney IS Alex/Kunio right? XP

It's apart of the same series after all, hmm I wonder if Alex's last name is Cooney, that would be pretty sweet nod and tie both US Localizations together with Crash being a nickname. Also the closest you have to a remake of it would be River City Super Sports Challenge ~All Stars Special~, it's on Steam and while it's not a remake of that game it is a remake of a different Kunio/River City game. Although I gotta warn you Red it is TOUGH.

6 minutes ago, TheRedAuthar said:

There was a DS one as well (River City Sports Challenge).  I'm actually a fan of the Japanese versions we didn't get, they had more interesting events.  Also the tournament one.  I did a Let's Play of that One. 

Right I recall that Fighting Tournament one, not to mention the Feudal Era Game. They did a remake of them in the Feudal Era, plus they also recently made a 3DS Remake of River City Ransom, I believe the main game that time is Single Player but they have a Fighting of Double Dragon mode where you fight like in a 2D fighter with River City Versions of Billy and Jimmy. We just need them to localize those games on Steam really, they do know there's a market for them obviously so I think we'll see them someday. Also any thoughts on Double Dragon IV? I thought it was a good game even though it was obviously made on a budget, although I wonder why that was so.

26 minutes ago, TheRedAuthar said:

I'm a little disappointed in the plot of that one.  It seems to be the Alternate World exclusively this time.  Which means a few of the characters aren't the ones we like.  

Honestly I really like the plot of Injustice 2, I don't mind if it just takes place on the Regime World, I would prefer this time around for the Story Mode so that the "Main" Timeline doesn't feel like a cop out, they need to fix their own world as nigh impossible it seems due to the Regime. Seriously Superman is such an interesting villain in this series, gives me Justice Lords flashbacks.

I want to see an over the top and witty  Beat 'em Up where you get to play as famous Philosophers and World Leaders. :P

All their attacks are based on their philosophies. Nietzche's final move would be "Stare into the Abyss" for example. Decarte's would be the "Cogito Ergo Crusher." Karl Marx vs Adam Smith would be an epic battle. When you fight especially opposing characters you get unique dialogues where they debate each other as they sling fists. xD

It would be like Epic Rap Battles of History meets the high-octane ethanol cornyness of modern wrestling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheRedStranger said:

I want to see an over the top and witty  Beat 'em Up where you get to play as famous Philosophers and World Leaders. :P

All their attacks are based on their philosophies. Nietzche's final move would be "Stare into the Abyss" for example. Decarte's would be the "Cogito Ergo Crusher." Karl Marx vs Adam Smith would be an epic battle. When you fight especially opposing characters you get unique dialogues where they debate each other as they sling fists. xD

It would be like Epic Rap Battles of History meets the high-octane ethanol cornyness of modern wrestling. 

As long as I can play as Abe Lincoln and Vlad the Impaler I'd be completely fine with that.

Technically we do have a game where expies of loosely based historical figures fight against each other, that being ADK/SNK's World Heroes Series, fun series and a charming favorite of mine. You can literally beat up Rasputin in the game! xD

So guys, What other sort of Fighting, Beat em Up, Platform Fighter, or some Combination of the 3 would you like to see?

On 3/7/2017 at 6:51 PM, F07E said:

Last comic expo they had this particular games cabinet available in the game hall:

NinjaBaseballBatMan_arcadeflyer.png

weird as it gets, I actually really enjoyed it even if I was complete garbage at it.

I think I've seen this once before and that's it

On 3/10/2017 at 1:53 AM, TheRedStranger said:

Albert Einstein vs Vlad The Impaler!

On 3/10/2017 at 3:20 AM, Mike Arcade said:

As long as I can play as Abe Lincoln and Vlad the Impaler I'd be completely fine with that.

Technically we do have a game where expies of loosely based historical figures fight against each other, that being ADK/SNK's World Heroes Series, fun series and a charming favorite of mine. You can literally beat up Rasputin in the game! xD

So guys, What other sort of Fighting, Beat em Up, Platform Fighter, or some Combination of the 3 would you like to see?

You know that there are fighting games based on that one show where they used to pit history's greatest badasses against eachother and see who the computer would pick to win, right? I know that Vlad is in there, and I'm fairly sure that Abe is in one, too.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone, hope you all are enjoying the hype that is Streets of Rage 4. :)

I heard rumors about there being DLC for the game as well, which I'd so get if that's the case.

Anyway, I got news of a new collection from SNK regarding one of it's (many) great fighting game series, check it out!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Considering Melty Blood Type Lumina is coming out, thought it'd be nice to post how such an obscure fighter got popular enough to get a new game in the Series. :)

Any of you gonna check this series out? Let me know.

Also, the Final Fighter in the Default Roster got announced at the last minute, @Nagol you might want to see this. lol

Edited by Mike Arcade
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Considering Melty Blood Type Lumina is coming out, thought it'd be nice to post how such an obscure fighter got popular enough to get a new game in the Series. :)

Any of you gonna check this series out? Let me know.

Also, the Final Fighter in the Default Roster got announced at the last minute, @Nagol you might want to see this. lol

Yeah I don't know who that is lol

• Haha 1

So, sold separately on Steam from the NGPC Selection is the under rated, but excellent portable fighter SNK vs. Capcom!

Emulated it years ago, and despite the 8-bit Chibi style, it's a great game with a surprising amount of content with over 20 Characters. A bit small compared to other CVS or SVC games, but the fact that it was done for a Handheld is nothing short of incredible.

If you want to see this series, think about picking it up. It's pretty cheap all things considered. I could always do a small review later.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

SNK DID IT, THEY BROUGHT BACK K9999! EXPECTATIONS SHATTERED!

For clarification, this guy is not a new character (though story wise that could be a different tune). He's a character from the NESTS Saga that was originally based a little too much on Tetsuo from Akira. SNK, once they got the Series back, never alluded to the character again due to being too similar to the inspiration. Though I liked the character due to his over the top attitude (think Scourge from Archie Sonic, kinda...and Tetsuo.)

He was replaced in the KOF 2002 remake with a character named Nameless, with all of K9999's moves. Albiet with different context, personality, and backstory.

But now though? He's back with a new name! Can't wait to see how he fits into KOF. :)

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Announced For PS4, Switch, And PC [IGN]

Persona 4 Arena is Ultimax headed to modern consoles. Atlus revealed during The Game Awards that the popular anime fighting game will be released on Xbox Series X|S, PS5, and PC in 2022.

Developed by Arc System Works, Persona 4 Arena Ultimatax is a fighting game spinoff of Persona 4 featuring familiar characters such as Chie, Yukiko and Teddie. It's known for its heavily stylized graphics and fast-paced combat, both of which are typical of Arc System Works.

We praised Persona 4 Arena Ultimax for its accessibility in our original review, writing, "There are plenty of good things to say about Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. It looks and plays great, it’s easy to dive into for beginners, and rewarding to learn for veterans. It’s irresistible sense of style speaks for itself, but given how much I love its predecessor, the biggest compliment I can pay it is that it’s 100% the sequel that Persona 4 Arena deserved."

Mostly, though, it's exciting to have Persona 4 Arena Ultimax on console for that excellent remix of "Reach Out To The Truth."

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax releases on PS4, Steam, and PC on March 17. While you wait, you can play Persona 4 Golden, which is now available on Steam.

{Edit: trailer ahoy, courtesy of GameSpot!

Edited by MoKat
added a video
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Granted, I suck using them, but still.

I do too :P

But it was still an interesting video ^.^

{Edit: was this pun intentional?}

2 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

A handy video on how to use an Arcade Stick

• Like 1

https://bloody-roar.net/?page_id=115

In other news, Christmas Day got a surprise with a Fan Re-Dub of Bloody Roar 2!

Not just from any sort of fan group however, but an All-Star List of Voice Actors like Xander Mobius, Kira Buckland, and even Lisa Ortiz (known to us Sonic fans as the voice for Amy in several games)!

It's great to see a group of fans give this game a love letter in this Re-Dub, hopefully if Bloody Roar gets revived, they can all voice these characters again one day. :)

On 1/5/2022 at 3:05 AM, Mike Arcade said:

It's great to see a group of fans give this game a love letter in this Re-Dub, hopefully if Bloody Roar gets revived, they can all voice these characters again one day

Yeah, it's good to see that somebody's giving the series some love after Konami bought out Hudson Soft.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I definitely called the first team being from Garou, and the characters on it are exactly who I thought they were. Very much hype!

However, while I’m glad to see Geese Howard again with Team South Town, I do think that team falls under the unfortunate notion of DLC that should already be in the game by default. :/

At least SNK gives us a beefy, awesome starting roster of 39 Characters. Way past more than other starting rosters in fighting games these days.

I mean, considering Yamazaki was already DLC in the last game, plus Geese and Billy being in the last game by default, it rings a bit off to me. Though they are great villains to play as, having both Rock and Geese in is kinda odd as Rock has some moves from his dad here. I’m curious if there will be some shake ups to their move sets to justify them being DLC.

Though that does play into DLC characters end up being a little too good gameplay wise (think Akuma in a lot of Street Fighter games for example).

Though Rock was DLC in the last game (and a major surprise to boot), having B. Janet and Gato in after not seeing them for years with him in this team is kind of an exception to the rule. As in I’m not really tilted by it by comparison.

That, and Rock Howard is MASSIVELY popular to not just SNK, but Fighting game fans as a whole. It does make sense to have him with the first DLC team. Because fans would literally pay to have him once again (though I doubt they could pull this off again for a 3rd time).

I’m actually looking forward to see what the other two teams for the first season will be. Though I’m so calling one of them being the American Sports Team. XP

Edited by Mike Arcade
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A new collection has been announced for this Summer! It includes the Arcade Ports of every Darkstalkers game and all the odds and ends 2D Fighters like Cyberbots, Red Earth (for the first time ever), and even Hyper Street Fighter II for the first time ever since it’s 2003 release! But that’s not all…

Street Fighter 6 has officially been announced! And it looks like the teaser used the RE Engine! Looks like they’ll finally use a more realistic style for the characters.

• Thanks 1

Is it just me, or does Ryu look weird with a beard?

And it looks like the teaser used the RE Engine! Looks like they’ll finally use a more realistic style for the characters.

Not sure if I like that.

Then again, I don't play the Street Fighter games anymore.

Fun fact: I used Blanka to beat SF2 for the 1st time.

• Like 1

I’ve heard that Beard Ryu is a favorite among fighter fans, kinda makes sense in terms of progression. Especially now that we are finally going past SF3 in the timeline. I don’t mind them going toward a more realistic look either, worked well for Devil May Cry 5. Though I do wonder what more out there looking characters like Adon or Necro would look like.

If anyone wants, I can post my character wishlist and those who probably shouldn’t return.

• Like 1

Sweet!

So far, we know that Ryu and Luke (whose beastly as the last DLC character in SFV) are going to be in the game. That’s a given, although I’d say that Chun-Li is a safe bet, obviously.

Matter of fact, I should say what I think the Base Roster should be because we all know that we’ll get DLC and Season Passes. Unlike the small starting roster of SFV (12), Or that of Guilty Gear Strive (15, not too bad), I think they should start off with 20 to 26 characters. Gonna reserve 3 roster slots for new characters as they tend to introduce at least 4 new characters , but here’s what I’d like to see in the game.

Ryu, Luke, Chun-Li, Guile, Alex, Sean, Dudley, Makoto, Ibuki, Oro, Necro, Remy, Sakura, Sodom, Mike Haggar, Guy, Crimson Viper, Juri, Laura, Ed, Falke, Akuma

So yeah, lot of SF2 characters missing! Kinda like SFV, which brought back a lot of missing characters over time, and I think it’s about time to see more of those that haven’t had a spotlight. I mean Necro is kinda like a mix between Dhalsim and Blanka, plus with Alex and Haggar fill in the role Zangief has had for far too long. Heck I would have even scrapped Ken by default, if only for more characters to get a spotlight.

It’s quite hard to balance out a fighting game roster, but at the very least this idea for the roster looks more complete. I think such a roster would  also solve the problem of future DLC feeling like it should have been in the base game, which even with KOFXV didn’t avoid with Team South Town.

Edited by Mike Arcade

3 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

So far, we know that Ryu and Luke (whose beastly as the last DLC character in SFV) are going to be in the game. That’s a given, although I’d say that Chun-Li is a safe bet, obviously.

Agreed. Ryu & Ken are pretty much the face(s) of the series and Chun-Li has consistently been a fan favorite.

I think they should start off with 20 to 26 characters. Gonna reserve 3 roster slots for new characters as they tend to introduce,

Sounds reasonable.

So yeah, lot of SF2 characters missing!

Not necessarily a bad thing, and Guile makes the most sense to include even if it's just for the memes ;)

I've been a fan of Mike Haggar since Final Fight, so I'm biased there ;)

• Like 1

Indeed, I say Haggar because he ended up in Luke’s SFV story mode, which really makes me think he could make an appearance. Since Haggar and Zangief tend to have similar moves, or at least fill in a particular archetype, replacing him with Haggar would be a good option.

Honestly and ideally, almost every DLC SFV Character would be playable in SF6, but I think that would be too optimistic.

By the way, included Guile as he’s also a mentor to Luke so it would make sense to have him playable. Granted, Remy also filled the notion of a Charge character, but still.

Edited by Mike Arcade

23 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Since Haggar and Zangief tend to have similar moves, or at least fill in a particular archetype, replacing him with Haggar would be a good option.

I agree.  Gotta have a strongman & I'd rather see Haggar make the roster over Zangief.  Don't get me wrong; I had fun playing Zangief in the past, but he's been in enough SF games ;)

• Like 1