Sonic Forces

I know Polygon tends to be harsh but this seems odd as they were praising it not to long ago (at least that's what I remembered)

But with Aaron saying there's gonna be a day 1 patch thats gonna fix some issues that people with street broken copies said were there, why didnt they wait until Tuesday?

51 minutes ago, Wulfsbane said:

I know Polygon tends to be harsh but this seems odd as they were praising it not to long ago (at least that's what I remembered)

But with Aaron saying there's gonna be a day 1 patch thats gonna fix some issues that people with street broken copies said were there, why didnt they wait until Tuesday?

Reviewer wasn't having it, bought a street date broken copy, and reviewed it because the embargo is null on street date broken copies.

Polygon also adjust their reviews when a patch or update comes around.

22 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

Reviewer wasn't having it, bought a street date broken copy, and reviewed it because the embargo is null on street date broken copies.

Polygon also adjust their reviews when a patch or update comes around.

I'm surprised they are still allowing street broken copies. I would have thought they would have tried to stop it.

Point there, but didnt a lot of reviewers refuse to adjust Yooka-Layle's score after the Day 1 patch?

16 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Point there, but didnt a lot of reviewers refuse to adjust Yooka-Layle's score after the Day 1 patch?

They did indeed. And then they wonder why people don't trust their reviews anymore. Hmm...

To be honest, I'm sort of not surprised Sonic Forces got a 5 from them. First of all its a game reviewing website, so its kind of their job nowadays to give our little blue hedgehog hell. Secondly, Sonic Mania was a gigantic critical darling, given 9 or 10/10s across the board. Different games for different fans they may be, but most reviewers don't take that into consideration; Forces has a big set of shoes to fill, regardless of its completely different mindset.

It also shows the classic bias that video game journals have. They're not journalists but editorialists with opinions that are as useful as any piece of junk. I'm curious about what major sonic gamers such as clement, johnny, and others will think of it. 

4 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

They did indeed. And then they wonder why people don't trust their reviews anymore. Hmm...

To be honest, I'm sort of not surprised Sonic Forces got a 5 from them. First of all its a game reviewing website, so its kind of their job nowadays to give our little blue hedgehog hell. Secondly, Sonic Mania was a gigantic critical darling, given 9 or 10/10s across the board. Different games for different fans they may be, but most reviewers don't take that into consideration; Forces has a big set of shoes to fill, regardless of its completely different mindset.

Polygon gave Mania a 7.... and they said they will update after the Day 1 Patch.

As I said, Polygon tends to be on the harsher side. The ones that give Sonic a hard time because it's Sonic are GameInformer & IGN.

1 hour ago, Wulfsbane said:

The ones that give Sonic a hard time because it's Sonic are GameInformer & IGN.

And a few Youtubers, of course. Though there it's more because Sonic is sadly a bit of an easy target. I'm sure SEGA should probably do something about that. And not in the "lol we suck" memes on Twitter.

To avoid going on a rant, it's good that they do see what's wrong with the franchise...so why don't they DO something about it?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WarTraveller said:

And a few Youtubers, of course. Though there it's more because Sonic is sadly a bit of an easy target. I'm sure SEGA should probably do something about that. And not in the "lol we suck" memes on Twitter.

To avoid going on a rant, it's good that they do see what's wrong with the franchise...so why don't they DO something about it?

Easier said than done.

2 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

It's SoA that see there's something wrong, they're just helpless to do that much, since SoJ refuse to co-operate with them. And it's SoJ who own Sonic Team.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! Infinite's backstory:

Spoiler

He's a jackal.

He's part of a group of mercs Eggman hired to protect one of his labs.

He proclaims himself as the "Ultimate Mercenary".

Shadow beats up his group.

Shadow fights Infinite, but doesn't finish him off.

Calls him weak and leaves.

Infinite throws a hissy fit over being called weak.

Puts on his mask. Fuses with the Phantom Ruby.

Calls himself Infinite.

Basically: Infinite is really, really insecure. How disappointing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! Infinite's backstory:

Hide contents

He's a jackal.

He's part of a group of mercs Eggman hired to protect one of his labs.

He proclaims himself as the "Ultimate Mercenary".

Shadow beats up his group.

Shadow fights Infinite, but doesn't finish him off.

Calls him weak and leaves.

Infinite throws a hissy fit over being called weak.

Puts on his mask. Fuses with the Phantom Ruby.

Calls himself Infinite.

Basically: Infinite is really, really insecure. How disappointing.

Scan_20171106.png.e6a8260cdfa43887b41ba79888094d5f.png

(in the "not at all" kind of way)

23 minutes ago, Akessel92 said:

Oh infinite would bring such an interesting dynamic if or when he ends up in the IDW comics along with the FFs if they are in it. 

But the phantom ruby is certainly an interesting macguffin. 

I think Jackal Squad as a whole would be interesting in the IDW comics. Sonic Team actually took the chance to flesh out the world of Sonic, they'd be crazy not to jump on this new group of mercs.

I would recommend establishing more concrete character arcs and motivations for their characters as well as creating a consistent lore such is centered in so as to give a reason why such groups as this actually come about. I think Eggman is not threatening and I don’t see threat in him at all as a villain. The lack of diverse antagonists and the boorish repition of the “Eggman vs Sonic” plot is tiresome and the “Eggman gets a epic thing to versus Sonic” Is merely a over-milked innovation on this already drained trope. At least with SatAM we had other antagonists such as Snively and Naugus and world with more motivation and purpose than Eggman vs Sonic. In general it’s universe lacks a basic ontology or consistency to all its happenings and the beings within it. Eggman’s motivation in particular is one-dimensional and vague - “Eggmanland.”

Sonic Forces is Diet SatAM - just one calorie; not enough. 

• Like 3

Oh WOW man I have been holding this in for quite awhile, so safe to say spoilers now that the game is out I suppose but...is it really that much of a spoiler?

I mean let's face it there is no possible way Sega would have banked on Infinite to make a legit surprise on who he is right? Granted all odds pointed it to a new character, but there was no way they would have made him interesting at all and this comic along with the game further proves how much they dropped the ball with the story and lore here. Now granted the gameplay looks fine, but without great content regarding the story I mean then it's overall not interesting.

Okay so there are Mercenaries, if not other possible group of squads maybe usually based on what kind of Mobian they are, great cool that's fine but why is that the case? Does the Sega Sonic World suck that much that it has roaming bands of Mercs as if it was Metal Gear? I mean why is that the case and if Eggman isn't the cause of society (which he most certainly isn't) than who? Heck I even heard from Sega themselves that Eggman couldn't ever do what he does in Forces alone either so yeah he's no real threat anymore. If they gave us an actual world with conflicts than hey I wouldn't be as hard on Sega Sonic as I am now but that's not the case.

Like why is Infinite a Mercenary? How did he get his Jackal Squad together? The comic doesn't answer that so we know who he is but not the why? For that matter we don't even know his real name either as he isn't called by it. I'm not hurt by this though because I can actually keep my expectations realistic here, I can't say that for a lot of fans however though.

That's not even getting into the Phantom Ruby alone which is VERY confusing on how that works but I'll leave that be for now until more people play the game.

28 minutes ago, TheRedStranger said:

Sonic Forces is Diet SatAM - just one calorie; not enough. 

No Stranger it's not Diet SatAM, it's Store Brand Discount SatAM.

• Like 1

PLEASE NOTE: I WILL BE WRITING THE FORCES REVIEW FOR THE SCRIBES. EXPECT IT WITHIN TWO-THREE WEEKS

Okay, Infinite's reason for joining Eggman is really lackluster. We have no information about him or his crew of raiders as they just showed up out of nowhere. A little background behind them would have been great (unless it's being saved for the IDW comics). And Infinite just touches the Phantom Ruby with his peculiar looking knife and wants to join Eggman after seeing a vision of a wasteland? I would like to know why he wants this. I want to know what happened before this attack and the immediate aftermath (like how Infinite became Infinite).

Really thought it was gonna be a character the Rookie knew. Oh well. Though I'm curious if this raider group will have some role in IDW now?

I just wish they fleshed this out a bit more. I like the concept but there's just a lot of question.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm gonna put a one week stay on Spoilers. Let's be fair to those who are playing or have yet to.

2 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

This game sucks and wastes all of its potential, is what I'm trying to say.

Even though I haven't said anything yet.

You better be ready to say why you think it sucks. Just saying so is not cool, in fact it's rather cynical.

too much of this game feels like a return to the 2000's era rather than refiniment of the 2010's. outside of some gameplay elements, other big issues seem to be related primarily with the writing, an issue that 3D sonic has always struggled with, and which never recovered after pontac and graff took the helm with colors.

Sonic has never done well in his native country. He's been far more popular overseas. I guess someone like Mario has him truly beat. Or it could come down to marketing. After all, Sega of America managed to make Sonic popular worldwide when Sega of Japan couldn't even hack it in one country.

On the plus side, Sonic's popularity in Western markets will likely mean that this "flop" won't affect them or Sonic as a franchise much.

Not as much as Mania being the unstoppable hype train that it is, anyway...but that's an argument for another topic.

46 minutes ago, Mike Arcade said:

So? It doesn't add anything substantial to the game like a new character or story, and since it's free anyway it's very easily ignored.

Yeah or newer features at least battlefield 1 had newer features for every dlc though nothing new campaign but I'm comparing an apple to an orange. Or in this case a bullet to a blue pineapple. :P