Hello there HaloEssence111 and be heartily welcomed to the Free Scribes Of Mobius! :)
I’m very happy to see you over here. ^^

I already know you and a part of your arts from the American Sonic group on DeviantArt, as you were submitting some of them into the group and I have to say that I really like your fan-arts!
Your drawing style is brilliant and reminds me strongly of the one from the Sonic Archie Comics. :)
Please keep up the very good work, Bro!
:>+<:

• Like 1

Greetings! I hope you'll enjoy the community here. Granted, it's plagued by horrifying degrees of madness, malcontent, and misconduct, but it shouldn't be a problem. I don't post that often, after all.

In all seriousness, it's nice to see high-quality art that's still done entirely by hand. It isn't all that common these days.

Out of curiosity, does the Halo part of your username refer to angel adornment, enormous parasite-ridden doomsday ringworlds, or something else entirely?

• Like 1

If I had a nickel for every time I was asked this question... ;)

I actually used to be a part of the MLP:FIM fandom, and the name of my ponysona was Halo Essence. No particular reason, I just liked the sound of it. Anyways, I decided to add "111" to it and make it my username, and it's just stuck since then. I actually didn't realize I was naming myself after a video game till after the fact... but by then it was too late. Oh well.B|

Ah. I've never been into the whole OC thing myself, but, as my profile picture should indicate, I'm quite fond of FiM...or at least its better aspects. I dropped the show during Season 6, as it had become apparent that changes in the writing and production staff had gutted the series, stripping it of its soul and leaving behind a festering husk that was just painful to watch. Consequently, I've distanced myself from all but a few aspects of the fandom. Still, I'm the only person on staff (and possibly on the site) that likes ponies, so feel free to PM me if you ever feel like revisiting that particular topic.

Or you could just flood Wulfsbane's inbox with MLP pics. His ensuing ire would be most amusing, and I'm reasonably certain I could abuse my moderator status to keep you from being IP banned for the next 50 years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sorzo said:

Or you could just flood Wulfsbane's inbox with MLP pics. His ensuing ire would be most amusing, and I'm reasonably certain I could abuse my moderator status to keep you from being IP banned for the next 50 years.

MRW:

XD-shadow-mad-sonic-funnies-38030591-208

• Like 2

I really love your subtle redesign of Shadow. The coat breaks up his silhouette of his body to be more distant from his original template Sonic. Though his quills are very differently shaped in the original design, it lacks uniqueness in the body and muzzle. I think you fixed that quite well. I also generally approve of your change of proportions. They are more humanoid and seem more young-adult than tiny and child-like. This fits the more teen gestalt of most of these characters. I would experiment with adding more depth and shape to the muzzle and snout to further enrich what you are going for in the body. This was great change of pace for me and I am glad you posted here. :)

As for your Sally picture I love how you made a point without drawing blood. You seem not only have a good sense of drawing aesthetic but are more tactful when it comes to design than many I see on Deviant Art. This will stick with people without sticking into them. Good work and keep that up.

Oh and that Shard x Nichole pic is adorable and its dialogue gave me a chuckle. That was adorable. xD

Thank you! I was actually really surprised at all the positive feedback I've received on this thread... it's made me very happy~ As for what I have next, that will coming soon (for updates, y'all should follow me on DA

On 7/26/2017 at 8:11 PM, Wulfsbane said:

I'm curious about the one with Mina, Sonia, Fiona, & Julie-Su. I feel like there's a story behind that.

There is! After I drew the picture, I made a separate histories post for the lives they lead off-panel from the Post-SGW universe. Check it out here!

• Like 2

On 7/28/2017 at 10:41 PM, HaloEssence111 said:

Thank you! I was actually really surprised at all the positive feedback I've received on this thread... it's made me very happy~ As for what I have next, that will coming soon (for updates, y'all should follow me on DA

There is! After I drew the picture, I made a separate histories post for the lives they lead off-panel from the Post-SGW universe. Check it out here!

Hopefully you'll post some here too.

As for the link about Mina, Sonia, Fiona, & Julie-Su I'll definitely check it out ASAP.

For those who have been wanting an update...

Digital art is hard, who knew

I just a tablet for my birthday and have been messing around with digital art. 

Turns out, it wasn't as easy as a transition as I thought it'd be... Oy...

Sorry that this isn't anything Sonic related, I haven't really had much time to post anything worth posting in that regard. This is more of an explanation as to why I haven't been posting. Hopefully more art will be up soon.

'Cream' Dark

Well, there you have it. A solid week's worth of effort on my first mostly non-crappy piece of digital art. Good grief, I'm exhausted.

This was done on FireAlpaca, which I still love even though it currently doubles as the bane of my existence. (Omega is SO HARD)

Wondering about the actual backstory of this image? Well, that's a long story... Meaning that I mispronounced Team Dark as "Cream Dark" (heh heh, geddit?... I'll show myself out) and had the thought of "Hey, what if shenanigans happened and Cream somehow joined Team Dark?"

And because the drawing process takes awhile and my ADHD brain just can't find it in itself to focus on only one or two things at a time (and I'm addicted to character development), I was able to figure out a sort of-reason of how this could work. Warning: Angst.

(TL;DR)

Once upon a time in the land of the Post-SGW Archie timeline, Cream was content to stay to the sidelines and support the Freedom Fighters. However, she couldn't deny that she felt slightly envious of these heroes as they regularly dashed off to save the world and wished that she could do her part.

Flash forward a couple years, and Cream is about 10 or 11. By now, she has received some very basic combat training as the world grows even more dangerous. However, her mother and the other Freedom Fighters are still inclined to shelter her, which at this point is seriously pissing her off. But seeing no other options than to stay on the Sky Patrol and support them from afar, however ill content she felt about it.

Dr. Eggman's hold on the world had steadily been growing tighter, despite the FF's varied attempts to take him down. Westside Island was no longer safe, and Vanilla had moved into the Sky Patrol at the request of both Cream and the FF. However, life on the Sky Patrol wasn't exactly fun and games either. Eggman had been finding new ways to infiltrate or short-circuit the dirigible, which Rotor and Tails both struggled to combat. To compensate for being rather short-staffed, Cream was taught how to pilot and operate the Sky Patrol (much to her delight). However, she was still only used as a stand-in in case a situation arose where one of the other Freedom Fighters weren't able to take the wheel.

During a particularly vicious battle with Eggman where all the Freedom Fighters were called into the fray, Cream had the opportunity to take hold of the Sky Patrol, and with her help operating the weapons system, it looked like a victory for the FF. But Eggman had a few tricks up his sleeve. He sent a powerful virus to Nicole that temporarily short-circuited the controls in the Sky Patrol, leaving it vulnerable for a strike. And strike he did.

The Sky Patrol crashed. Eggman had won this battle. Luckily, everyone had been outside of the Patrol, fighting... everyone, that is, except Cream and Vanilla. 

It took almost a week for Cream to wake up. She had suffered a bad concussion and had fractured a few bones, but they were assured she'd make a full recovery. It was a tragedy the same couldn't be said about her mother.

After the funeral, everyone expected Cream to become depressed or withdrawn, but instead, her attitude made a complete 180°. She wanted to fight. She wanted to punish Eggman for the death of her mother. This was unforgivable. 

But the Freedom Fighters were frightened by this new Cream. They tried and failed to coax her into toning it down, and any talk of Eggman getting his recompense someday only irritated her more. She didn't want to wait until "someday". She wanted vengeance now.

Several months passed, and sure enough, Cream did manage to calm down enough to think logically, although the thought of revenge never strayed from her mind. It also wasn't long before the FF paired up with Team Dark for a strike mission, which Cream begged to help with. As she watched this team, she grew more and more in awe with them; their fighting styles, their ruthless, to-the-point strategies... especially when she compared them to the Freedom Fighters, with whom she held the angry paradigm of a group of paranoid babysitters determined to tie her down.

She became obsessed with Team Dark and dreamed of someday fighting alongside them them, or at least joining GUN- an organization which she viewed as much less restricting than the FF. About the time she turned 12, Cream had had enough; leaving an angry note next to the Sky Patrol's tea set with no promises of ever returning, she struck out on her own to the United Federation.

Along the way, she had several life-threatening adventures that almost made her turn back, but she pressed on until she reached GUN's headquarters. She begged Commander Tower for any kind of job that involved actively helping take down the Eggman Empire, emphasizing her idolization of Team Dark. Tower, having been previously informed of her mother's death, took some pity on her and offered her a spot in a small aerial strike team, which she gladly accepted. She excelled rapidly, learning how to hack most electronics and moving Tower to promote her to a more serious squad. By the time she was 13, she had become one of GUN's best junior pilots and tech operators, and had significantly improved her combat prowess (although she still had a lot to learn). Finally, she felt as if she was really doing her part to take down the man who was responsible for taking away her mother.

It wasn't long before she attracted the notice of Team Dark, who had requested a pilot for an upcoming mission and had been sent Cream. At first they were apprehensive of her, but her down-to-earth professionalism both surprised and impressed the team. They began requesting her assistance whenever they needed a seasoned pilot or hacker, finding her rather charming, and much more mature than they remembered. On the flip side, Cream was absolutely thrilled to be fulfilling her dream to fighting alongside her idols. Soon, she was practically one of the team, if unofficially.

She is still aligned with GUN and Team Dark, though she has made amends with the FF for running away. She still continues to help fight Eggman in any way she can, alongside Cheese, her Hero Chao.

DANG, that was long. But I wanted to give this AU justice. 

I dunno. Maybe it's cuz I wish Cream had a more active role in the series, maybe it's cuz I love seeing her with Team Dark, or maybe it's cuz I like angst way too much, but the point is, I could see something like this happening in the comics if SEGA would ever allow it. But who know, maybe Cream will get a more aggressive role in the IDW comics.

• Like 2

Looks like the Cream...has gone sour...

---

Digital painting is totally worth the time. I recommend a Wacom tablet and the student creative suite with both Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I personally use Corel 2017, Photoshop CS6, Painting Tool SAI, and Adobe Illustrator. I use to hate Illustrator but it's been a major help for all my design projects and linework. Corel Painter is amazing as it can emulate all sorts of things like watercolor, oil, and marker, without the price tag of new supplies. It can even simulate paper-absorbtion differences and gravity. This stuff has a higher start up cost but you cut the price radically with student discounts. I make the money back in design commissions pretty quickly. One photo shoot or logo for a company can make up the difference, and good commission for someone can as well. 

For you I would recommend Painting Tool SAI starting out - as it has a great simple tool for linework as well as coloring. Also - it's cheap. ;)

My Response to Canon Sallicole

I'm going to get massacred, aren't I?

Screw it! I'm voicing my opinion on this!

To be perfectly honest, I was pretty disappointed when that ship was made canon- I am a huge fan of brotp’s and would choose a developed bromance over a romantic relationship any day. And Sally and Nicole… I loved seeing their BFF chemistry! I get what the writers were implying and I could kinda see why some fans shipped them, but before now, I always figured it was just a case of fans not being able to differentiate between a close friendship and a couple. I guess I just don’t understand what’s so hard about keeping characters friends and leaving it at that. But if there are people out there who are able to enjoy this ship when I just can’t, then more power to ‘em. 

I understand that this is an extremely unpopular opinion of their relationship, especially since Jennifer Hernandez confirmed this ship on Twitter. I get that there are a lot of people out there who consider this their OTP. I'm most definitely going to receive some backlash for posting this- hate mail, flame wars, maybe a loss of followers. And if that is the case, then I could care less, because it would only bolster my other opinion that shippers need to chill the heck out. I'm allowed to have my opinions, and y'all are allowed to have yours.

• Like 5

"Gooooooooooood... I look forward to completing your training..."

I think this deserves five likes. I think this shipping  frankly destroys the potential deeper and spiritual relationship these two characters can have for each other that Ben Hurst intended. I am glad people like Flynn can no longer bastardize such. Friendship is a more powerful,  more varying and profound a force and subject than mere cheap homoeroticism and the sexual conquest of cartoon characters for a grossly dogmatic and crusading social agenda. I respect your bravery and free thought  in a world filled with fanatical sexual-permissiveness and obsession, an irrational warpath against health, common sense, parenting, personal boundaries, and general social decency.

I am frankly personally disgusted by most 'shipping' in general as I find it to be a sort of violation of the characters, a form of bastadization  of who they really are to fit some perverse solipsistic end. I find it egocentric at the least and megalomaniacal at the most; almost a lot like Roboticization... If you love a character then why force  them to change so radically and sporadically? Perhaps that mirror-image eros, that sense of deliberately anti-normative narcissism, takes its toll on someone's creativity (or lack thereof) over time where it's not about creating art for others to see and comment with but to construct a self-absorbed mental bubble. 

Ultimately, people choose to be in relationships and if you don't write your characters as willful and conscious and consenting persons then you on a slippery slope of dehumanization. I have seen people get so rapped up in shipping they started shipping real people in stories together... I hate to imagine where it goes from there... Treating persons almost like breeding stock for one's fancies and fickle social philosophies. :/  

The bottom line: Sally loves Sonic and is clearly hetro-normative. Sally has indeed shown the capacity to be interested in other men and if you can write a story where she choose to be with another and it be in character - more power to you. Now if you want zoo/meta/trans/bi/pan/robo/hobo/omni/homosexual characters  - whatever - then make one of your own. Make an original character. But don't  whine when others  find no interest in them for their one-dimensional gimmicks  and puerile relationships. As for me it's a lifestyle with which I frankly disagree with and I will never let anyone's feelings or preferences violate my moral compass on the matter and my empirical witness and research into its corrosive effects. I don't 'hate' such; I disagree with it ethically and there is a huge difference there. I have written characters that fall on this spectrum personally to some degree or experimented with that spectrum and even left it like many have in real life (something actually never seen in the writings of most left-leaning circles as they cling dangerously to the assumption of biological-determinism).  As for others don't be flabbergasted when people of any of these persuasions which I find disagreeable also don't appreciate such social pandering and saccharine substance-sterile, glorification. They are not a mono culture, people like David Rubin, Christine Seeringer, Walt Hyer, Milo Yannopolis, 'Blare' White, and Felix Greene, etc (individuals these agenda-based shippers probably don't even know about) prove otherwise. I encourage those who still value free-thought to research and look up these people. I don't fully agree with all their statements, and neither will you, but it will help you imagine these issues more complexly and more critically.

As for me, I prefer them as friends over anything as hamfisted and reactionary as this shipping. I will transcend the agenda

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 3:58 PM, HaloEssence111 said:

My Response to Canon Sallicole

I'm going to get massacred, aren't I?

Screw it! I'm voicing my opinion on this!

To be perfectly honest, I was pretty disappointed when that ship was made canon- I am a huge fan of brotp’s and would choose a developed bromance over a romantic relationship any day. And Sally and Nicole… I loved seeing their BFF chemistry! I get what the writers were implying and I could kinda see why some fans shipped them, but before now, I always figured it was just a case of fans not being able to differentiate between a close friendship and a couple. I guess I just don’t understand what’s so hard about keeping characters friends and leaving it at that. But if there are people out there who are able to enjoy this ship when I just can’t, then more power to ‘em. 

I understand that this is an extremely unpopular opinion of their relationship, especially since Jennifer Hernandez confirmed this ship on Twitter. I get that there are a lot of people out there who consider this their OTP. I'm most definitely going to receive some backlash for posting this- hate mail, flame wars, maybe a loss of followers. And if that is the case, then I could care less, because it would only bolster my other opinion that shippers need to chill the heck out. I'm allowed to have my opinions, and y'all are allowed to have yours.

I just discovered this, and can say 110% that I am officially sooooo glad that the writers at archie no longer write the comic anymore. 

as it was the bunnie and antoine marriage arc and subsequent characterizations always rubbed me the wrong way, as it contributed nothing but a way to pander a ship in light of sonic and sally being split up at the time, however this particular "official by word of god" ship was just so stupidly concocted it makes the elise scenes in 06 look well written. I generally don't hate shipping, but only when it meets a very specific set of criteria to me that doesnt go kicking the original source material in the face.

Out Of Context Comic Scene [SU AU/Reboot?]

An out-of-context scene from my Sonic Underground AU/ reboot(?). Sonia is not pleased with Manic’s previous living arrangements… (You'll also notice I changed up my version of Sonia's colors from the last time I drew her. Maybe that one could be an alternate outfit...? These colors look better.)

what even are backgrounds

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So looking over your Fatal Femme stuff @HaloEssence111, I think you have something good there. Are you gonna turn this into a comic or a story? What's your plan with it?

If you turn this into a story/comic then I will be looking forward to it. You have a good sense of character development so I think you could have something great.

14 minutes ago, HaloEssence111 said:

@Wulfsbane I'm honestly not sure... A comic would be cool, but I'd have no idea where to start, really. I've playing around with the idea of just making a new Tumblr blog and posting all my AU ideas for it there, but I'm still not sure. Glad you like it, tho!

Well if you want to do a comic, I'm sure all of us here could give you some ideas

On 10/2/2017 at 6:34 PM, HaloEssence111 said:

tumblr_ox496hMdSj1wz8680o1_1280.png

10-minute Sonally sketch

Hands down my favorite of your works so far. I know the others you've posted were the products of far more effort and are much more technically impressive, but they're no match for the cuteness.

• Haha 1