IDW Sonic Comic: Reveal, Pre-Release, & General News

Wulfsbane

5 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

you know, do something about it.

Why do you think we founded this very site? Let’s be honest - SoJ does not know what we want as fans the same way Disney is with Star Wars. They want to appeal to arbitrary demographics, not their actual commited consumers. This is an elementary mistake someone with a basic C-grade degree in business would never make (why do you think so many companies reward people with things like loyalty cards?) We as fans must embrace our ability to create what we want for ourselves as a way of exercising consumer sovereignty over the product. They want to abandon the FF and the material that got us invested in Sonic in the first place - we abandon them, starve them out and play hardball right back at them. We have each other. Glitcher’s new Archie continuation for example I think will frankly satiate Archie fans like Alex and Mike. Support people like him and you support people like yourself, you support the fans that love Sonic just like you, not some corporate suit that has never played a Sonic game in his life. 

• Like 1

I kinda like the design to be honest now that it has settled in. I do agree with the notion that there's a ton of character depth but not characteristic depth in the franchise. Alas with everything from Archie with the possible exception of the Freedom Fighters no longer going to be used they need to shore up the characters... even though they could just use the ones they had prior.

My main issue is how they introduced her. The first few days before the reveal it looked strikingly similar to Sally, which seems to have been their intention. Bold marketing strategy that got people talking but when you have a fan favorite in limbo and the silhouette looks identical to said character, ethically it might have not been the right move.

Course if Sally gets revealed in the next few days/weeks then it's a moot point

Also, notice how there's no cover for Issue #3 yet....

4 minutes ago, Mike Arcade said:

Why not both ;)

He just wants you to continue AoM’s RP. XP

Sadly we had some major flakage on that one (some people more than others). Mike will be going to invite only from now on...

EoT has over probably 11,000 pages of content and worldbuilding. We are basically crafting a whole novel for Episode One.

1 minute ago, TheRedStranger said:

He just wants you to continue AoM’s RP. XP

Sadly we had some major flakage on that one. Mike will be going to invite only from now on...

Yeah I'm gonna have to, for the sake of all remaining, nearly endless patient players out there thank you. :)

Back on topic here's an IGN article regarding kind of a thought process on Tangle's creation which is..quite worry some to say the least.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/24/sonic-the-hedgehogs-newest-ally-is-tangle-the-ring-tailed-lemur

“Before she even had a name, we knew we wanted her to be like a lot of other great Sonic characters and have a special ability tied to one of her features. Think Tails or Knuckles,” IDW associate editor David Mariotte told IGN in an email interview. “So, we were brainstorming animals who could do cool stuff and a ring-tailed lemur who could use her tail alternately like a whip or like a fist was too cool to pass up! Throw in her scrappiness, she likes to ‘tangle’ with bad guys, and you have an awesome character!””

Tangle the Copy-and-Paste-Because-Sonic-Two-Did-It. Then add a pun...what any humorist will tell you is the “lowest form of humor.”

Yeesh...I can understand that with Knuckles (which I always thought was just a nickname Sonic slung out storywise). He probably has a hard to pronounce Nahuatl name like Tikal or Patchumac. Given how Sonic likes the nickname “Tails” for *Miles Prower* (NOT: “Tails the Fox”) it makes sense this is probably also a nickname. Tangled makes sense only really in the context of it being like Tails, but this “brainstorm” and it’s pattern of logic does not seem to be reaching that far mentally...it’s more like a brain-drizzle... Seems IDW’s character writers seem to pick a verb and then base their whole character around that verb first and foremost. xD

I wonder if they will retitle Shadow to Skatey Head-Punter The Hedgehog

Or maybe Amy will be called Ms. Stalks-a-Lot. 

Oh! Or they can call Rotor, Sally, and Bunnie Mr Really, Ms Actually, and Ms Very, all having the last name - Characterized.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Mike Arcade said:

Yeah I'm gonna have to, for the sake of all remaining, nearly endless patient players out there thank you. :)

Back on topic here's an IGN article regarding kind of a thought process on Tangle's creation which is..quite worry some to say the least.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/24/sonic-the-hedgehogs-newest-ally-is-tangle-the-ring-tailed-lemur

I personally would rather read about some of you FSoMers characters - @WarTraveller I hope to see more from your AoM character actually. 

I can’t say much about AoM Sonic and how we are writing him - but Mike’s design approach...man...he’s quite the (flawed) gem.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2018 at 10:42 PM, TheRedStranger said:

Glitcher’s new Archie continuation for example I think will frankly satiate Archie fans like Alex and Mike.

I like that continuation, though I don't know if I'd really call myself a fan regarding any of Archie's runs on Sonic. There are things I like about them and a LOT of it that I don't, especially what was intended with certain writers. Even though I do know almost anything regarding Archie Sonic, does that make me a fan? I dunno really.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/01/comic-preview-covers-and-solicitations-for-idw-sonic-1-3-and-4-revealed/

Also we got news regarding issue 3 (a week ago but I was slow on news lately) but no picture of the cover, all we know is that the villains of that issue are named Rough and Tumble. Yes really, so easy to say that they'll be Mobian...or should I say Animal Villains. XP

I really hope that not all of IDW Mobians and Characters have just name puns and gimmicks as they're defining traits and only that.

• 2 weeks later...

Mobian as a term is banned now I guess, which contradicts the vague answer of the comic having deep lore at the end of the article. The more I hear about the IDW comic the less I'm interested in it. Also regarding having "Unlimited Story Arcs" from that what I can gather is that we'll get year long arcs, which was also a problem in the last comic as well. I mean some comics do have long story arcs or big plans for the future, but I fear that they are repeating the same mistakes which dragged Archie Sonic down. It's disappointing to say that's for sure, this coming from me who is usually positive regarding Sonic content but with what's been revealed and the thought process behind the creation of this new book I really have no confidence in it at all. I'm just sorry to be a bit of a downer in this post, I hope those who do read it will like it in some form of fashion but it'll be a pass for me. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm not going to pass ACTUAL judgement until the first five issues actually release. I mean I COULD call them awful instantly upon arrival, bu that's not fair. I gave Forces a chance, a chance that it almost instantly squandered, but a chance nevertheless. It wouldn't be fair to not do the same here. That said...I'm not looking forward to it knowing what I know.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My interest has gone down a bit since I've seen more info about the comic. There's some questionable decisions in terms of what Ian said he's gonna do/not gonna do, Rough and Tumble look like to be generic bully villains, and IDW being vague doesnt help.

• 2 weeks later...

And so IDW Sonic Issue 1 has finally come out, the rest of the first story arc are gonna be coming out gradually this month as well so for those who are interested in the new comic there you go. I did read the first issue myself and without spoiling anything it's okay, nothing out of the ordinary really so if you want to see for right now a continuation of Forces then hey it's alright.

Although I do have a major problem with it, I mean really though this is a problem carried over from Sonic Forces actually and that's the issue of the Wispons, it's been bugging me every since they were first announced.

How is it that putting Wisps into Weapons is okay, but putting Flickies and Bunny Rabbits in Motobugs isn't?

On 4/5/2018 at 6:01 AM, Mike Arcade said:

How is it that putting Wisps into Weapons is okay, but putting Flickies and Bunny Rabbits in Motobugs isn't?

Because they needed to put Wisps into Sonic Forces SOMEHOW...

Okay, two issues, probably still too early to tell, but regardless; how do you all feel about IDW Sonic so far? 

11 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

Okay, two issues, probably still too early to tell, but regardless; how do you all feel about IDW Sonic so far? 

About what I expected: Okay, playing it a bit safe though.

Positives: Tails isn't a bloody coward, banter between characters is pretty good, Amy is written decently (though that was always one of Ian's few good qualities), Sonic doesnt seem like the One Man Army and needs some help.

Negatives: It really plays on you knowing who is who at the start, world feels barren, No descriptions of places or things such as the "village Militia" (say the villages name or area build off of it), it kinda comes off as "bare with us, we're going slow with this"

You mean, WAY too safe. Personally, it kind of feels like "we WANT to make something interesting of this, but you-know-who won't let us".

Honestly, I...don't care? Like, SEGA kind of did everything I expected them to do, so why bother getting angry over it at this point?

• Wulfsbane changed the title to IDW Sonic Comic: Reveal, Pre-Release, & General News
  • 9 months later...

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/08/surge-the-tenrec-and-kit-the-fennec-idws-imposter-syndrome-miniseries-new-characters-revealed/

New Characters revealed. Some MAJOR Ashura/Scourge vibes with Surge. Has something to do with Starline. Did he pull a Project Shadow?

In other news, you all check out that charming FCBD 2021 Story and the 30th Anniversary Comic? Let us know!

I picked up the 2021 Free Comic Book Day edition of IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog.

The second story was basically the whole storyline in a nutshell.

The local comic store had some leftover from FCBD, so if anybody wants a copy I might be able to get U one.

IDW2021FCDsonic-cvr.jpg

IDW2021FCDsonic-contents.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 1:14 PM, Mike Arcade said:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/08/surge-the-tenrec-and-kit-the-fennec-idws-imposter-syndrome-miniseries-new-characters-revealed/

New Characters revealed. Some MAJOR Ashura/Scourge vibes with Surge. Has something to do with Starline. Did he pull a Project Shadow?

In other news, you all check out that charming FCBD 2021 Story and the 30th Anniversary Comic? Let us know!

Surge may or may not be a direct response to a certain former writer attempting to license characters he may or may not legally own.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 11:36 PM, Wulfsbane said:

Surge may or may not be a direct response to a certain former writer attempting to license characters he may or may not legally own.

That could very well be the case, even her name sounds similar to Scourge, who I still don't understand how you could own a literal copy of Sonic (and Robotnik), but I digress.

They look pretty cool (really like the black fur on Surge's forehead), but we'll see how this whole imposter thing works.

Speaking of the word Imposter, makes me wonder if the Mini Series' title is a marketing gimmick considering the popularity of a certain game.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

https://tailschannel.com/idw-sonic/solicitations/solicitation-for-sonic-scrapnik-island-issue-2/

So I know this is old news, and we don’t post a LOT on IDW Sonic, but it bears to mention the HE’S BACK.

MECHA SONIC

…as in, from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The one featured in all the Mario Ball Z sprite movies. XP

Seriously though, this will be an awesome mini series to check out.

Mostly all of their mini series have been awesome, though I didn’t care much for Bad Guys though.

IT’S ALIVE! It’s rusted… It’s shaped like Sonic… It’s MECHA SONIC! He’s no longer Eggman’s prized invention but just a docile bot living among other washed-up Badniks. And now he is tasked with helping Sonic and Tails. Has Eggman’s nefarious programming truly been rusted over, or will Sonic’s presence awaken a forgotten part of Mecha Sonic?

Yeah, in spite of that I still have no interest in IDW Sonic these days 😜

• 6 months later...

Well, this doesn't bode well for IDW...

IDW to Slash Workforce by 39%, Delist from NYSE [Publishers Weekly]

Apr 28, 2023

IDW Media will lay off 39% of its staff and delist from the New York Stock Exchange in what the company called "cost-cutting measures" taken in "response to operational challenges."

Among the staff affected by layoffs are the entire marketing and PR departments and half of the editorial department, including publisher Nachie Marsham, who has served in the role since September 2020. In all, 28 employees are being let go and IDW has budgeted $900,000 to cover severance costs.

IDW has also announced several changes to senior management in light of the staff reduction and NYSE delisting. CEO Allan Grafman will be replaced by Davidi Jonas, who most recently served as IDW's chief strategy officer, and is the son of IDW chairman Howard Jonas. Grafman had served as CEO since August 2022. Additionally, CFO Brooke Feinstein has been let go, and Amber Huerta, previously senior v-p of people and organizational development, has been promoted to COO.

IDW operates in two groups—its publishing division, which publishes comic books and graphic novels and includes the Top Shelf imprint, and its entertainment division, which produces and distributes multimedia content based on the publishing group’s original book content. In the fiscal year ended October 31, 2022, the company posted sales of $36.1million, an 11% increase over fiscal 2021, and its net loss shrunk to $700,000, from $5.4 million in fiscal 2021. The publishing division generates the majority of the company's revenue, with sales of $25.8 million in fiscal 2022 compared to $10.3 million for the entertainment group.

CBR reporting:

IDW Hit With Layoffs, Removes Itself From the New York Stock Exchange [Comic Book Resources]

IDW Publishing, one of the largest direct market comic book companies in the United States, is undergoing some major cost-cutting, eliminating over a third of its workforce, while also de-listing its publicly traded stock from the stock exchange.

The company is also making changes at the leadership roles of the company, with its current CEO, Allan Grafman, being replaced by David Jonas (son of the IDW's principal owner, Howard Jonas). The company's CFO, Brooke Feinstein, is out, while Amber Huerta is IDW's new COO. The company's Publisher, Nachie Marsham, is also out, while IDW publishing editorial has been cut in half and the marketing and PR department is essentially gone.

IDW Publishing's comic book revenues took a loss in the first quarter of 2023, after turning a profit in the final quarter of 2022 (its book store sales have increased while its direct market sales have taken a big hit). The biggest change at the company, though, was that Locke and Key went off the air at Netflix. As a result, IDW Entertainment went from bringing in over $4 million from comic book adaptations in 2022 to essentially nothing at the moment. IDW Entertainment continues to try to adapt more of its comic book properties into television and film projects, but is clearly struggling with that approach at the moment.

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2023 at 2:42 PM, MoKat said:

Well, this doesn't bode well for IDW...

IDW to Slash Workforce by 39%, Delist from NYSE [Publishers Weekly]

CBR reporting:

IDW Hit With Layoffs, Removes Itself From the New York Stock Exchange [Comic Book Resources]

I mean it’s not too surprising, and while these reports for IDW aren’t new, them losing the license for The Transformers is certainly a big blow that’s concerning to say the least.

6 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

while these reports for IDW aren’t new, them losing the license for The Transformers is certainly a big blow that’s concerning to say the least.

Agreed; that was one of their biggest properties.

Transformers and GI Joe comics have left IDW [GamesRadar]

IDW Publishing's long-standing license to publish comic books based on the Hasbro toy line franchises G.I. Joe and Transformers seems to have ended, with longtime IDW editor David Mariotte tweeting a farewell to the Transformers franchise on his personal Twitter account on the occasion of the publication of the last IDW Transformers issue. 

IDW published Transformers comics starting in 2005, and G.I. Joe comics starting in 2008. The original announcement of the change came through The Hollywood Reporter, who reported in December 2021 that Robert Kirkman's Skybound imprint of Image Comics was in talks to pick up the license.

"At the end of 2022, IDW will bid a fond farewell to the publication of G.I. Joe and Transformers comic books and graphic novels. We’re exceedingly proud of our stewardship of these titles — 17 years with the Robots in Disguise and 14 years with A Real American Hero — and thank the legion of fans for their unwavering support, month in and month out," read a statement from IDW provided to THR at the time of the initial announcement. "We're also eternally grateful to every one of the talented creators who helped bring these characters to four-color life through our comics."

IDW published one final major G.I. Joe story for 2022 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the release of the revamped GI Joe: A Real American Hero toy line, which revised the original GI Joe soldier toy into the concept of a fighting force made up of unique and distinct characters, with equally colorful enemies to match.

They still have the "Saturday Morning Adventures" series, but that explains why G.I. Joe is no longer part of it. I see that they added TMNT to SMA recently.

I also noticed that Hasbro was rather tight-lipped about who might pick up the comic licenses for Transformers & G.I. Joe :

Hasbro Speaks About The Future Of Transformers And G.I. Joe Comic Book License

Has anybody heard anything new? Everything I dug up earlier is from last year.