Mario Bros. Animated Movie Coming from Illumination

DaddlerTheDalek

Negotiations between Nintendo and Illumination have gone on for more than a year, and coincides with a deal struck last year for Universal theme parks to build attractions based on the Mario Bros. property. The video game’s creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, is expected to be a producer on the film and have a say in the creative development, alongside Illumination’s CEO Chris Meledandri. The film is still in the early stages of planning and wouldn’t come out for several years, and would be animated at Illumination’s Paris-based studio Mac Guff.9

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/902903-mario-bros-animated-movie-coming-from-illumination-entertainment#GEW0aexYXbkj6qQV.99

• Like 1

Oh gosh, I'm not too thrilled on Illumination making a Mario Bros. Movie as their works have been...well grating would be a polite way to say about their overall animated films. Although considering how Illumination can bring out the box office numbers it'll do fine, I just hope it's an actual good film. I mean it could be possible as surreal as the series is but still. :/ 

On 11/14/2017 at 7:05 PM, Mike Arcade said:

Oh gosh, I'm not too thrilled on Illumination making a Mario Bros. Movie as their works have been...well grating would be a polite way to say about their overall animated films. Although considering how Illumination can bring out the box office numbers it'll do fine, I just hope it's an actual good film. I mean it could be possible as surreal as the series is but still. :/ 

They will find someway to shoehorn in the Minions into it. If I am being completely honest I liked them at first but they got old so quickly.

3 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

They will find someway to shoehorn in the Minions into it. If I am being completely honest I liked them at first but they got old so quickly.

Maybe as a cameo perhaps? Honestly I just don't like any of their works, they look cheaply animated but there must be something to them I suppose, or it's an effect similar to the Michael Bay Transformers Films I guess.

3 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

, it's just they milked Minions so hard there's a subreddit called 'Minion Hate'

Yeah...that's kind of what I'm afraid of with this, uh, revelation. Minions are beyond ear-grating...but imagine how Illumination would handle the Toads!

Well, actually that's unlikely. Nintendo being Nintendo I do think that they will exhibit near draconian control on what and what won't go in the movie, in one of the few circumstances where that will probably be accepted.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 4:50 PM, Wulfsbane said:

Illumination isn't necessarily bad, it's just they milked Minions so hard there's a subreddit called 'Minion Hate'

A lot of the ideas of the Mushroom Kingdom are ambivalent but pre-established. It's world-building is a bit...well, nebulous. You can take a lot out of Mario lore wise the same way you can take a lot of guess-meaning out of a Dali painting. It's abstracted and putting it in narrative means it will have to follow some form of canonical logic. Its a task that is easy to get into but very hard to course-correct as we saw . They did well with DM1, they can ideate, even though they milk things to death (which could reveal a lack of creative scope) but can they they start this on the right foundation? My concern would be them doing the opposite of the  live-action Mario adaptation yet succumb to the same issue. They could easily make something saccharine and hollow rather than gritty lore-wise, missing that actual surreal gestalt of the Mushroom Kingdom and the potential of its characters.

• Like 1