MoKat's Scribbles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, MoKat said:

Works in progress:

Blaze-in-progress.thumb.jpg.2bfaab4a3d50b738cedbd7c6cccd9cba.jpgStardust-layers-b.thumb.jpg.9c440bcb3d1bcee71759f83959acfce5.jpg

Of course you would paint a cat. XD

You are becoming very mindful of layering and how it informs forms. Which is a good thing. Many try to paint everything wet on wet all at once and that is no good for many dynamic figures. It’s best to wait and glaze with acrylic especially, unless you are trying to bloc out a Bob-Ross background/landscape or in a more detail end of a painting, like the blush and shading on a smooth face. 

. Currently the WIP for Metal and Sonic looks like Sonic blitzed out of his pelt and is now speed-streaking butt naked with his eyes closed. XD 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

Currently the WIP for Metal and Sonic looks like Sonic blitzed out of his pelt and is now speed-streaking butt naked with his eyes closed.

LOL! This should look better:

Stardust-layers2.thumb.jpg.de999e6b507089184a08e8ff9fbf371c.jpg

Odd thing is, the neon yellow dried orange (?!) the first time so I had to hit those spots again. It's kinda cool for Metal's exhaust but not so much for Stardust Speedway itself :P The only reason I could think it would do that is the brand of white paint I'd put down first - maybe it reacted chemically with the neon paint (?)

Edited by MoKat
added a comment

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 1:00 PM, MoKat said:

Went all-in with the silver glitter-paint; kinda like how it turned out. Hubby called dibs on it, so after I hit it with some clear-coat it's going in his office next to Sally.

Bunnie-shiny2.thumb.jpg.5fa52a2bed6df0efd29c2bdaf9b173ea.jpg

It’s good that you are experimenting with different medium, and trying to communicate texture and lighting in a very direct way. You do probably want to take a step back and use metallic paints instead though. The glitter paints would be create as a thin special effects layer for a painting of Nagus’s sanctuary. 

On 10/23/2021 at 6:53 AM, TheRedStranger said:

You do probably want to take a step back and use metallic paints instead though.

*shrugs* Just using what I have. I don't have much of the metallic paints; definitely don't have any in metallic  silver. Still have plenty of glitter paint tho. But, yeah, there -is- such a thing as too much glitter :D

I might do another one of Bunnie & just stick with using flat grays; I kinda liked how that one was going before I glitter-bombed it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Works in progress...

Darkwing 'Munk needs a little touch-up before I hit it with the clear-coat. That's okay; it's been too cold to do clear-coating outside anyway :P

DarkwingMunk1b.thumb.jpg.ebf5b90d6b3c248c224f0c2c46508fd3.jpg

Dale the Daring needs a lot of touch-up & I'm thinking of adding something for him to fight. is now finished.

*attaches updated pic*

DaleDaring.thumb.jpg.6b14cdc0a0a7d6c5e27a5c95149a6079.jpg

Edited by MoKat
updated message & pic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, MoKat said:

New paintings:

downward-dog.thumb.jpg.7ca7e894dfead08c3f4922c1046d20a2.jpgtiger-blues.thumb.jpg.c380700ea96c1da06345f1b32e6f8d8c.jpg

glow-cat.jpg

Really like the middle one. I think you should experiment with ink layers on top of your paintings. You seem to be trending towards a Japanese aesthetic. The tiger would be deeply accentuated by a clean black brush pen. 

4 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

Really like the middle one.

I like how it turned out. The photo doesn't do it justice; the dark blue is a new metallic paint ^.^

I did a companion piece to the "downward dog":

DG-SC.thumb.jpg.e91ba030542d958b8fc6263a451b86c4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 12:43 PM, MoKat said:

Most recent project...

GoldenFreddy.thumb.jpg.4e76477b68c87328298de5a1633c47ca.jpg

Dunno if I wanna add the eyebrows now; I kinda like how he looks without them.

Character design wise the lack of eyebrows create a tension and ambiguity, while eyebrows can convey extra emotion and thus character. With positive aesthetic signifies, like creamy and vibrant warm colors, and cutesy art, a subtractive design adds the ability for the viewer to interpolate positive emotions to the material. Look at Hello Kitty. In this case, a lack of emotional information creates a darker tension. You are not sure of the character's intentions, and that uncanny valley between a school and a happy bear, thrusts one in the "uncanny valley" where we don't know if the character is safe to be around, and we question their motives. I would say the choice is purely matters on what you wish to focus on, if you want to really show the internalness of the character, more emotional signifiers the better. Want to focus on the feeling of being in the presence of something spooky, go with ambiguity. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 9:01 PM, TheRedStranger said:

With positive aesthetic signifies, like creamy and vibrant warm colors, and cutesy art, a subtractive design adds the ability for the viewer to interpolate positive emotions to the material. Look at Hello Kitty.

Speaking of Hello Kitty...

Hello-Kitty-cup.thumb.jpg.43d88a13e3a4c98f0eec124b1a6321c8.jpg

And here's my latest project:

Halloween-wreath.thumb.jpg.3fc0c22ed957ebc13126680ff2391656.jpg

• Like 1

You are getting better and more prolific. I can tell it’s becoming easier for you to paint. It’s daunting at first, but once you start to get the feel for a medium and how it reacts, you really start to feel more comfortable with broadening your horizons. Your minimalist approach ironically is going to help you become a better artist. 

I think you should experiment with dimensionality now in your paints. Time to break out the pallet knives. Perhaps a landscape with down references. Knothole perhaps? Satam has some gorgeous background cells.

• Thanks 1

Trust me, you will have fun with this. Start looking to mediums and it will add a whole new dimension to your acrylics. That and pour painting could be another road to follow for more complexity for your  backgrounds. 

@Mike Arcadeand @Wulfsbane

Mokat is really showing you off boys. Where is your sketches and doodles? I’m waiting. XP

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 8:37 AM, TheRedStranger said:

I think you should experiment with dimensionality now in your paints.

Kinda doing that with my latest project:

CoolCat3.thumb.jpg.cfb45dd9a15a53ce39a6764d7a713215.jpg

I added a new orange glow-in-the-dark paint to the last one; Hubby liked the results too. Dunno how to get a photo of it glowing though :P

BlackCatWreath2.thumb.jpg.67be42602137abc742fc41e7f0f090d9.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...