SatAM's Anniversary!

Wulfsbane

Today (9/18/18), 25 years ago SatAM debuted on ABC. So this topic will be for celebrating it as well as talking about some favorite memories and other fun bits about the show. You can talk about how you found out about the show, what impact it made to you, or anything else related to it.

I credit it for helping me get into Sonic itself. I vaguely remember re-runs back in the late 90s right before Adventure 1 came out and I got hooked on it immediately. Unfortunately when it did run it was rather sporadically. After getting Adventure 1 I found out about the Archie comics and had them for a time, though I do not know what happened to the issues I had at the time. Years later I found the series again on YouTube as well as it being up on Netflix. I watched it over a few times and when I got my Macbook I dug around and found out about a certain webcomic that was a continuation of the series and moseyed onto the forums there.

And the rest is history.

• Like 1

In honor of the 25th anniversary, we are going to reveal more of the EoT episodic novels we have been writing. We are also continuing and promoting some Satam-centric RP's to play inside. We may also open up a Satam-centered art contest.

But first! We all wanted to ask you to share your personal experience of Satam and how its positively affected you. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 4:38 AM, TheRedStranger said:

But first! We all wanted to ask you to share your personal experience of Satam and how its positively affected you. 

I...don't really have much to say. I wasn't around for it. I watched Underground, instead. Kind of goes to show how much SEGA really thought of it when Underground was its replacement. While I don't love SATAM like a lot of older fans do, I do still appreciate what it tried to do, where it succedded, and where it could have been improved upon in later series. I just...don't really think of it as much as everyone else. It IS the best Sonic cartoon to date, still...not like that's saying much.

I do think it's pretty sad that SEGA seemingly wants to forget it ever existed. Not even a mention on their Twitter page. I mean, really think about that. The 10th Birthday of Sonic 06 got a mention, kiss scene and all. As if we needed another reminder of that a full decade on. But the 25th birthday of something people actually, genuinely enjoyed? Nothing. That's gotta sting.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:38 PM, TheRedStranger said:

But first! We all wanted to ask you to share your personal experience of Satam and how its positively affected you

This series absolutely changed my life, it brought me to another state and the best group of friends anyone could ask for.

Regarding of how I got into it, I'm not sure if I answered this before in another topic but I had known of the Freedom Fighters from the Archie Comic and a a few Goldmill (I believe that was the publisher) children's books that featured the characters. I had only heard of SatAM online and never caught it on TV, I did manage to see a few episodes on Youtube before Shout released The Complete Series on DVD though. I got the set the day it came out and binge watched the whole series, it amazed me on how good and subtle it actually was, a far cry compared to the US comic released at the time.

I eventually joined a SatAM based site, met our fellow admins and the rest is history. It's not only a great show, it basically saved my life. The Blue Hedgehog and I are irrevocably linked and led to this very site that friendship and trust built. If I could give anyone advice on watching SatAM along with the concepts of the Freedom Fighters and Mobius would be to keep an open mind about it, there's usually never just one canon that you have to follow. Give it a chance and you may see just what makes this series so special and it'll enrich you life. Who knows, maybe it'll even lead you to the best of friends you'll ever know. :)

On 9/18/2018 at 9:56 AM, Wulfsbane said:

I credit it for helping me get into Sonic itself.

Same here. I've never been wild about platforming games, so it wasn't the games that drew me into the fandom. SatAM, especially its cast of characters, is what really drew me in-for better or worse. That was one of the few shows I was willing to get up early on Saturdays to watch.

• Mike Arcade changed the title to SatAM's Anniversary!
  • 2 weeks later...