Potential Remakes, Revisions, and Remasters.

https://www.videogamer.com/news/sonic-adventure-director-eyes-remake-of-dreamcast-classic

Honestly, as much as I want to see a remake of Adventure considering it was basically 1/3 a Dreamcast tech demo, outside of Iizuka and a few others I dont have a lot of faith in a remake.

With Sonic Team moving to America, maybe they'll incorporate people who care from the American offices

• Like 2

I mean, the idea of expanded hub worlds and chao gardens sound really enticing to me. Again considering that part of the original game was a part tech demo I hope the gameplay can be refined so that it isn't a tech demo and is actually fun. To be honest, I kinda hope Big's section gets cut.

A remake of Adventure makes sense but if they touch Adventure 2 that should be more of a remaster.

ON the Subject of Chao Gardens... why in the hell hasn't Sega made a mobile version of the Chao Gardens??

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

ON the Subject of Chao Gardens... why in the hell hasn't Sega made a mobile version of the Chao Gardens??

Perhaps integrating such an app with this new game is the plan? It would be like the original with the Tamagachi-esque usage of the Dreamcast memory stick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheRedStranger said:

Perhaps integrating such an app with this new game is the plan? It would be like the original with the Tamagachi-esque usage of the Dreamcast memory stick.

I mean it's not like you can use the VMU for a Chao Adventure like it was in the Original game. An app to connect the game with it would be great.

You could kinda do it like Go in a way or maybe just expand upon what we had in Advance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so all this talk about a Sonic Adventure Remake is all very interesting, although can I just say that since they are considering this shows just how desperate they are. I mean the game play of Forces was criticized but wasn't too bad, the writing on the other hand was an absolute dumpster fire. Because of that, I sincerely hope they bring in different people or at the very least a lot more people from the US branches which is very likely as they did move over to San Diego. The last game made by Sonic Team in the US was Sonic Adventure 2, so while that does give me hope for such a remake...at the same time I do not trust anyone from what used to be Sonic Team. The fact that Sonic Team tanked shows just how badly they messed up.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:39 PM, Akessel92 said:

They should take notes from 343 studios in regards to their remaster/remake of Halo 2. 

I do not agree with that assessment, simply put a Sonic Adventure Remake of that sort of caliber would not fly in today's market. Yes you could make a less glitchy version of the same game with better graphics and maybe new voice acting but it just would not be as well received and not what the series needs. Especially when you look at the reviews of SA1 and SA2's re-releases for the Gamecube which suffered heavily compared to their Dreamcast Originals. Personally, I'd be for the consensus of a Sonic Adventure Remake from the ground up, much like what Resident Evil 2's Remake has shown. I'm not saying they shouldn't use the same levels, but there's got to be more than what we got way back in 98/99. That way you could have longer levels, new levels, and much more content than what was given. Not to mention you could fix up the writing and expand it as well, I mean you don't need to fix up a lot of the writing as SA1's writing was the only Sonic game after the Classics that actually had an overall solid story.

I must indicate that this remake should NOT have the Boost Gameplay of the past as it's done and dead, they clearly have nowhere left to go with it so just leave it be (unless it's for a spin-off game I suppose). Regarding how the game should be like, ideally it would be an expansion of SA1 and SA2's gameplay with a much more solid engine. Hopefully they would be physics much like that of the Classic games as well and you are able to go about slopes and such as seen in fan projects like Sonic Utopia and such. Basically what I'm saying is that they should make the Super Mario 64 equivalent of Sonic. Of course they couldn't exactly make a perfect game with SA1 and SA2, but by using it as a Basis along with everything that came before SA2 that should give them everything they need conceptually to make an excellent remake. I can only hope they don't botch this, but then again anything at this point is better than Forces.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:16 PM, Wulfsbane said:

I mean it's not like you can use the VMU for a Chao Adventure like it was in the Original game. An app to connect the game with it would be great.

You could kinda do it like Go in a way or maybe just expand upon what we had in Advance.

They need to do this, THEY SHOULD DO THIS EXACT THING YOU HAVE STATED.

It would be brilliant, after all with the success of Pokemon GO and Let's GO Pikachu/Eevee I'd imagine they could bank off of a similar success with a Chao App for years to come. Not in the exact same way of course, but basically a 3D Tomagachi Pet where you can raise your Chao and such as you could in SA2. Seriously bringing back the Chao Garden not only in a Remake but as an App would make a mint. It'd probably go very well in Japan too, which success in Japan is something the Sonic Series has never really had to the extent it has had overseas.

Regarding the writing they could even add in foreshadowing for SA2 and maybe other things down the line, perhaps finally have a recurring story for once in the games that could follow multiple titles. There are two other things I think this remake should have that a lot of fans would disagree with me on and it's this.

Make a brand new art style for the series, and render everything beyond the Sonic Adventure Remake (SA2 to Forces) as no longer Canon. That way you'd have a fresh start for everything and reintroduce characters like Shadow, Rouge, the Chaotix, Blaze, and so forth with hopefully better writing. This would also imply that everything from the Classic Games has in fact happened so none of that "Another Dimension" bullcrap. Heck I'd also make Sonic Mania Canon as the only exception to the rule. Just make things finally consistent, and with a new art style for a Sonic Adventure Remake...well it'd be poetic as SA1 started the Style that everyone has been familiar with up until now. There has been small changes here and there but this "Modern" Style of Sonic has been Modern since 1998. I think a brand new start with this Remake is just what the series needs, to be free and liberated from the confines of plot holes from SA2 to bad writing from Sonic Heroes and Beyond introduced. At least that's how I'd do it. 

To be honest, I wouldn't trust them to do that. I was already a bit worried about the Crash and Spyro remakes. They were still Activision products, and recent events have proven Activision has no shame and no soul. They would do anything to brutally montize the remakes. But thankfully, they backed off and the remakes were incredibly good. They were made by talented development groups and published by someone who actually gave them some space.

Sega and Sonic Team? Very different story. After Rise of Lyric and Big Red Button in general, I doubt Sega is very trusting of outsourcing Sonic to that many third-party developers, with the exception of Sumo Digital (even though they totally screwed Big Red Button over and let them become the scapegoat), so it would be made by whatever remains of Sonic Team. And this is SEGA. Alongside their wretched mandates that just forbid half of what made the Adventure games so special, they just can't not screw up, they must ruin SOME part of it. They would probably make changes people would actually hate...or like. That's kind of the issue. Split fanbase aside, Adventure 1 and 2 can't be shot-for-shot remakes -  what worked for the time doesn't work now, as many many many Youtube videos just love to point out over and over. So the questions really come out;

• What do you keep the same from the originals?
  • What do you change?
  • What do you do with the story beats that didn't work?
  • How do you modernise gameplay styles even Sega doesn't understand?
  • What do you do with Big the Cat? You can't keep his gameplay the same, everyone hates it, but he's also really popular again so you can't just remove him.
  • Do you bring back as many of the old cast as possible or just use the current cast? Or even a new cast of soundalikes?
  • How do you shoehorn Zavok in, as apparently he's a main character now?

And more questions besides. It would perhaps make more sense for the games to be a reimagining (or as Mike suggested, more of a reboot) more than a straight remake. With story beats retconned and a good amount of the old actors either dead or unwilling (or in Drummond's case, unable) to work with the franchise, it kind of has to be. But frankly, at this point, I feel that whatever choice they make, it will be the wrong one. It's the only kind of choice they've been making for the last eight years.

1 hour ago, WarTraveller said:

• What do you keep the same from the originals?
  • What do you change?
  • What do you do with the story beats that didn't work?
  • How do you modernise gameplay styles even Sega doesn't understand?
  • What do you do with Big the Cat? You can't keep his gameplay the same, everyone hates it, but he's also really popular again so you can't just remove him.
  • Do you bring back as many of the old cast as possible or just use the current cast? Or even a new cast of soundalikes?
  • I'd keep the plot just about the same with some fine tuning to the plot to cover the few holes in it. Adventure's plot feels a little outdated and it wouldn't be too hard to modernize it.
  • I would keep the core gameplay just about the same with a few variations, such as Sonic having multiple routes to get to the goal, Zero actually trying to get Amy, etc. However I would like more levels for everyone and perhaps more sub acts like Sand Hill and Sky Chase... and actually have it so you could fail them
  • I want to keep the whole Ancient Echidna subplot with major expansion to it and give the world a little more backstory to it, perhaps a stage or two in the past... assuming a certain writer who can't let it go tries to interfere. Though legally there's nothing he could do.
  • Big is only popular cause he's basically a meme. It's basically a lose-lose situation: keep him and everyone expects meme material, remove him and people will get upset that he's gone. You might be able to find some way to keep him in the plot but there's a very thin line.
  • Since Forces seems to have a lot of Mobians nows, but Adventure has humans, maybe a way to combine the two? Such as having the two live together in the city with the explorers and archeologists also being Humans and Mobians. Maybe have a minor conflict between the two?
  • If 'boost' has to stay, could we please go back to the Unleashed style?
  • In terms of the cast, keep the original and maybe include some of the newer characters even if it's just cameos. Maybe have Gamma start his story and have Omega finish it? Have Cream try to help Amy out with the Flicky? Perhaps in the future Chaos rises again and Silver travels back in time to figure out how to stop it? There's a few ways it could be played out.
  • Like 2

• TheRedStranger changed the title to Potential Remakes, Revisions, and Remasters.
  • 3 weeks later...