Cartoons for Grownups

MoKat

I'm not a big fan of South Park, but I loved this episode!

{Edit: "Video unavailable"; of course it is. *finds a reaction video* South Park - 23x2 Band in China - Group Reaction (*language warning*)

Also, life imitates art - ‘South Park’ banned from Chinese internet after ‘Band in China’ episode [NY Post]}

What did you guys think of it?

(btw, probably NSFW; after all it's South Park)

I have watched bits and pieces of the episode because the DVR didn’t record the episode as I had hoped but from what bits I did see and trey Parker and Matt Stone’s public statement. This was a funny episode and exemplifies the problem of American corporations with global influence nowadays. They have all the money and market connections but basically sell out the values and country that built and forged their fortune. 

what’s worse is that it’s not just Disney, the NBA, or a weed farmer in on this China business. It’s Silicon Valley (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.), Hollywood and even Democrat and Republican politicians. Free trade with a country that suppresses free trade means nothing. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, Akessel92 said:

This was a funny episode and exemplifies the problem of American corporations with global influence nowadays. They have all the money and market connections but basically sell out the values and country that built and forged their fortune. 

what’s worse is that it’s not just Disney, the NBA, or a weed farmer in on this China business. It’s Silicon Valley (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.), Hollywood and even Democrat and Republican politicians. Free trade with a country that suppresses free trade means nothing. 

I agree. As Chris pointed out in an episode of China Uncensored, Trey Parker and Matt Stone used that episode to vent their frustration at Hollywood & commercial self-censorship in order to appease the CCP & chase Chinese money.

*posts the episode of China Uncensored*

Blizzard and Apple Kowtow to China—But Not South Park

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

If you get banned in Communist China, you are probably more insidiously moral than meets the eye. XP

Perhaps nowadays that's a badge of honour for some. Means you've done something that isn't bowing down to tyranny for the sake of money.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Honestly, is it weird to say Peggy Hill is a greatly written character but also a terrible character at the same time?

That's not weird; a terrible character can be greatly (or at least believably) written. I'm not a big fan of the series, but it has its moments.

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping someone was going to ask me why I thought Peggy Hill is a terrible character but I'll list the reasons anyways

• She thinks highly of herself and expects everyone to think of her as the same way. One of the biggest examples of this was when the episode where she thought the star of the Mexican crime drama wanted an affair with her because she believed herself as irritable, in reality it was a cultural misunderstanding. Another time was when she believed she was better looking than most of the women and thought she could win the Arlen beauty contest by herself and asked Hank about it, Hank responded by saying "That's a loaded question."
  • She believes that she can speak fluent Spanish, but her actual knowledge of the language is probably average at best. Her own inflated ego makes her believe she is better at speaking it than native Mexicans, which has caused problems. In the episode "Lupe's Revenge," her lack of skill caused her to  not only lead the trip to a small village instead of the actual destination, but she mistakenly brought a young Mexican girl back to Texas, confusing her saying "Yo vivo en México", which means "I live in Mexico" in Spanish, with "Viva México", which means "Long live Mexico". After returning the girl home, she was arrested for kidnapping (believing that she was going to get an award for returning her). In court, she claimed she would be able to prove her innocents by speaking in Spanish against the advice of her appointed lawyer, which ironically she did but not in the way she thought she did. She thought she made this speech about how she made a mistake and did no wrong but the subtitles indicated she made this rambling mess of a speech. When the judge said not guilty, she screamed "I'm going to jail!" which caused her lawyer to roll her eyes and say the opposite.
  • On the subject of her "Substitute Teacher of the Year" award, In an episode; she outright stated that the first two times she won the award as she made the award up herself in a way to draw up more work for her in the school, though it was hinted heavily that it was done to boost her ego. When they finally made an actual award, Hank (who was the substitute shop teacher because Buck Strickland made him take two weeks off) was going to easily win the award because how much the students actually liked Hank as the shop teacher. After Hank was kicked out for having the kids bring their own shop tools, Peggy changed her name on the ballot so it read "Mr. Peggy Hill" to get the votes Hank would have gotten and therefore win the award. When Peggy "won" Hank walked on stage to thunderous applause but when Peggy began a speech acting like it was hers, the students went dead silent.
  • She often states well-known facts and claims them as her original thoughts, like suggesting that "the day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, the biggest shopping day of the year." Or the day before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest traveling days of the year. In line with this, she uses "As I like to say/call it," alongside common expressions in order for her to mention something on her behalf.
  • She occasionally makes claims that seem to have no basis in reality at all. One time she thought a guy was an alcoholic because he didn't have an organ donor symbol on his license. She even thought Minh was in a bad relationship because of some of her hobbies.
  • Peggy prides herself as a great cook, although others consider her cooking to be average at best. In the Randy Travis episode, she made "Spapeggy and Meatballs," and when someone asked Hank what she does differently, Hank responds with "I don't think she changes much, if anything really." Peggy becomes very defensive when others challenge her cooking abilities, having been in cooking rivalries with Minh (after Minh improved upon her Apple Brown Betty recipe by just adding nutmeg to the dish) and her son Bobby. In one episode, when Hank began to prefer Bobby's cooking over her own as he was learning in Home Ecc, Peggy showed that she was not above sabotaging even her own son to restore her ego, as she literally stole the Thanksgiving turkey from the home and tried bringing it to her hairstylist who she thought was alone on the day (he was with his wife and newborn).
  • She's not afraid to use others to gain what she wants. When she got sucked into an MLM, she swindled Bill by using Bill's admiration of her to generate more sales and only saw the error of her way when she had a moral crisis at the end when, one of the rare times this happens, Bill stood up for himself.
  • She claims to be intelligent but usually becomes the most gullible person on the show. She's been tricked into believing a death row inmate was a former student, but he was only 4 years younger than her. Peggy believed she was a genius after taking an online genius test and passing it, then spending thousands of dollars on a phony master degree. Hank, almost immediately, saw through it and told Peggy about it and even had Luanne take the test to prove it was a scam. She was also easily indoctrinated into a cult after talking with the lead for less than 5 minutes.
  • She rarely recognizes when she is wrong or ignorant and will often become bitter or stubborn and refuse to admit it until the last minute.
  • One episode, she outright says "God told me no, but I knew better."
  • She almost caused Enrique to lose her house after she got a bunch of hipsters to move into his neighborhood, skyrocketting prices.
  • She sabotaged Lucky's GED lessons because she believed Luanne was too good for him, ignoring that Lucky was actually a good man and Luanne was happy with him

Peggy really is a great yet terrible character at the same time. She does lover her family and does have some redeeming qualities. Though I always question what Hank saw in her as it seems more often than not he's upset with her and even annoyed by her, more so in later seasons

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

One episode, she outright says "God told me no, but I knew better

That’s all I need to hear to know you are talking about someone with extreme NPD. I think Peggy though was a good character in the early run. I fear she was heavily flanderized. Her “I’m not a feminist speech” is brilliant. There is also a funny episode where she tries to be a stay at home mom when Bobby gets misdiagnosed with ADD.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda hate the theory that Dale knew all along about Nancy/John/Joseph, but he's just playing along with it. It goes against a core principle of his character: He's a conspiracy theorist who trusts no one, but he has such a blind devotion/trust in his wife that he doesn't realize the biggest conspiracy is right underneath him the entire time.

Also I don't fully believe the skydiving accident caused Peggy to be more of a narcissist. If you watch the episodes before then it was always there, just not as a main focus outside of a few episodes

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 10:46 AM, Mike Arcade said:

@TheRedStranger We were talking about Hank the other day regarding the 4th theory.

I'm under the suspicion that the 3rd Theory regarding Peggy is why she's like that.

Hank has textbook ASD1. Go look at the symptoms of ASD1 and think of his love of propane. 

And his tight behavioral code is also a sign of such (and I agree with him on vegetarianism). I don’t have a husky avatar just for show - carnivore to the core. 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

New Rugrats Is Making New ‘Traditions’

Then there was a lull until earlier this year, when Klasky Csupo came back with a new Rugrats for a new generation, a computer-animated revival of the same name streaming on Paramount+, Nickelodeon parent company ViacomCBS’s subscription service. In addition to creators Arlene Klasky, Gábor Csupó, and Paul Germain, the show is executive-produced by veterans of the original series, Kate Boutilier and Eryk Casemiro, who wrote the immensely popular special episode “All Growed Up” and developed its sequel series, All Grown Up! And the vast majority of the cast from the original series has returned to voice the child characters (the late Christine Cavanaugh being one sad exception), although the adults have been recast and, in some cases, reimagined.

Yeah, the title made me wince; the word "reimagined" did too.

*crosses her fingers & hopes for the best*

• 3 weeks later...

There's not a lot of Cartoons for an older audience (other than a few Anime, even then it's more so from the past than now) that I have any interest in. I mean the League of Legends Series, Arcane, I've heard a lot of good things about. But I'm not gonna renew my Netflix account for just one show.

Of course then, there's the recent abomination of Claymation Santa Inc, which I've heard enough about to know that it's a hollow ploy in comedy from people so far out of touch with everyday reality, it makes me wonder how such stagnation comes forth.

I suppose it's not as different as say, being a Hikkimori in Japan with Eastern Media, only in the scale as a Loud, Brash Extrovert. If that makes any sense.

A lot of people nowadays look toward the East with Games, Anime, and Manga for entertainment to the point that series like Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia outsell Western Media that have been established for Decades to nearly a Century in some shape or form. I do worry about where Animation as a whole is going from here on out, but for me Western Animation is pretty much dead. Sorry to sound like a downer here, but I seriously can't think of anything that's still running or is upcoming to look forward to for now.

On 12/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, MoKat said:

New Rugrats Is Making New ‘Traditions’

Yeah, the title made me wince; the word "reimagined" did too.

*crosses her fingers & hopes for the best*

And the Voice Actor for Stu, he passed some years ago as well. :(

• 6 months later...

This clip is from Beavis & Butthead do the Universe...

Beavis and Butthead do White Privilege [2:14]

ScreenRant reviewed it here - Beavis And Butt-Head Do The Universe Perfectly Insults Every Modern Reboot

Beavis and Butt-Head Do The Universe perfectly insults the current Hollywood trend by doing the opposite of most modern reboots and is all the better for it. Mike Judge’s dimwitted teenage, no-so-dynamic duo lead Beavis and Butt-Head Do The Universe's voice cast in the pair's wildest adventure yet, which can be streamed on Paramount+. In the film, Beavis and Butt-Head are shot into 2022 after a journey to space sends them through a black hole, but for as much of a change as that might seem for the two of them, Do The Universe in many ways is just another Beavis and Butt-Head story.

In Beavis and Butt-Head Do The Universe, Beavis and Butt-Head have no higher goal beyond their usual mission to “score,” in this case with astronaut Serena Ryan (Andrea Savage). This establishes that despite the pair’s outlandish space and time-travel journey, Do The Universe really only re-invents Beavis and Butt-Head 's low-brow nature on a minimal cosmetic level. In this respect, Beavis and Butt-Head Do The Universe thumbs its nose at how modern reboots tend to work.

I'm surprised that it ran on Paramount+😲

• 4 months later...

I found this amusing article while I was looking for something else 😁

‘The Simpsons’: 30 Times the Fox Comedy Successfully Predicted the Future [The Hollywood Reporter]

Across 33 years and more than 700 episodes, Fox’s The Simpsons, while serving as the foundation of modern comedy, has had many moments that have manifested themselves in real life. In a world where truth can often be stranger than fiction, things that writers pitched as jokes were able to, much like the late Poochie, elevate out of frame and make their way to a new dimension.

The Hollywood Reporter has culled together 30 episodes, plotlines and throwaway jokes that came to fruition in our three-dimensional world. So kick back in your Spinemelter 2000, grab your glass of Skittlebrau or Malk and enjoy!