There is a lot of people out there constantly looking for alternatives for a certain service, activities, platforms, and products, ect, but its hard thing to find, and even hard to break a habit that is convenient. People want to avoid ethical issues with a certain company, or do not like the political leanings for here and there. Or, some people are just tired of a crappy service with an apparent monopoly. Here is a place where people can discuss alternatives of any kind. Do note this not a place to debate the merits of product, service, or political value - that is why the dialogue section was made. Here we just help people find alternatives together.

With that said, maybe you guys can help me with something -

I am sitting on a lot of art and music I have made that has not been shown. I am hesitant about supporting Deviant Art nowadays because its well...kind of deviant. Do you know any less edgy MySpace-like places to publish my work?

In the past, some of the ads at Deviant Art had malware embedded in them, so I never set up an account there. I haven't had a chance to check out Pixilart, so I dunno what that place is like.

{Edit: apparently Newgrounds is still around.}

As for Facebook alternatives, I found this article while doing some research:

7 Best Facebook Alternatives That Keep Your Data Private | 2020 Edition

(Nextdoor & Mastadon were the only ones I knew about before reading that article, btw. Mastadon makes me giggle over its "toots" :D)

These 22 alternatives will let you live a Facebook-free life in 2020

(I can vouch for Signal and Pocket; not very familiar with Telegram tho)

I also keep hearing about Parler, which touts itself as "the Free Speach Social Network" but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

I am sitting on a lot of art and music I have made that has not been shown. I am hesitant about supporting Deviant Art nowadays because its well...kind of deviant. Do you know any less edgy MySpace-like places to publish my work?

There is Pixiv I suppose, but that's more Japanese artists more so than anything. I'm honestly not sure on what sort of site would be good for both art and music. You could always post your music up on your YouTube channel. As for art, that is extremely tricky. From what I can tell, DeviantArt might be the least unpleasant site with rather unsavory characters. There's always gonna be people that won't rub you the right way, however other art sharing sites and places similar to DA are either even MORE Deviant, or have little to no filter nor control. While you may have some reservations, DA is the most popular and common way to get your stuff out there. You'd also be able to build up a small fan base that way if you post there regularly. I know this is topic is meant for alternative means and such, but sadly don't know any that aren't any better. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help in this case. :/

@Wulfsbane mentioned this somewhere else, but Tumblr, described as "an American microblogging and social networking website" by DuckDuckGo, lets you post pictures an allows other people to comment about them.

I need to dust off my account; it's connected to my Yahoo! account, but I've seldom used it.

{Edit: I just recalled why I've seldom used it; that platform isn't any better than DA.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found this article about LBRY while looking for something else:

LBRY is a new Blockchain-based, open source platform for sharing digital content. It is gaining popularity as a decentralized alternative to YouTube but LBRY is more than just a video sharing service.

So I went to https://lbry.com/

liked what I saw, then checked out https://lbry.tv/

I noticed that Salty Cracker has a channel there ^.^

• 2 weeks later...

The technology's not ready. It's never been ready, it's too flawed and we simply can't get enough out of it right now, especially not for even a county-wide scale. Batteries need to get way better, cars need to get lighter or more efficient, trips made would have to be shorter, and then there's the issues of where that electricity is coming from - and what's being burned to get it.

The problem is that when the fuel crisis was first a thing, we all said "It'll be okay, by the time it's a genuine problem we will have sorted it. Salvation is only a decade or so away." But we kept saying it every year. We thought we'd get that one BIG breakthrough. But now we're on a knife's edge and we're REALLY running out of second chances, electric cars (well, electric cars that the common man can actually AFFORD, disregard Tesla for a second) are still frumpy, thirsty little grotboxes like the Nissan Leaf. Electric cars simply aren't where we need them to be. And that's before we get into personal preference, the cult of the Petrolhead. I mean, we have people screaming and hollering and foaming over wearing facemasks, imagine them being told they can no longer have their V8's or their land yachts.

Simply put, fantastic electric cars are a few years away, just as they've been for the past few decades.

The batteries in the electric cars such as Tesla have steadily been improving over time as we get better with technology and innovation. The new Tesla batteries Elon promoted a few weeks ago are another small step in that regard. But I can concur we are no where close to being in a position where all electric cars will be feasible or even economically acceptable within the next 20 years.

This is a table I found in regard to the improvement of Tesla battery range over time. As we can see there is improvement from the Roadster/S from 2014 to the 2020 model. It's still off from its advertised numbers (but not as much) but the issue with the estimates are that they're done in labs with perfect conditions and computer models that aren't taking into variables such as people's different drive styles or conditions of roads. The main concern too is battery degeneration but so far with the Tesla batteries it's only been about 3% after 50k miles (or about 92k kilometers). The technology is getting better with the data we have so far, but as Perry said, we're one big leap away but it hasn't come yet.

If people are really worried about the use of oil in cars and trying to be greener, then might I suggest a move towards hybrids? My friend recently got this Honda Insight and honestly it goes to bat with most 'regular' cars in its class in terms of horsepower. The gas mileage in that is superb and doesn't use gas under 15-20MPH, the alternator keeps the battery charged in that mode. And with 50+MPG, this is probably what we should move towards in the meantime, at least for passenger cars and minivans. But the issue with this is trying to force fuel efficiency on trucks makes them more expensive. Trucks are supposed to have high power and high torque, so they can haul cargo, trailers, etc. Making them more efficient means they need to add more power to them. Look at how much more expensive an F-150 or a Ram has been since the 2000s. The price tag jumps when we had to abide by California's fuel efficiency ratings.

And California wants to be all electric by 2035 when the Governor told people to shut the AC off after 2PM during a massive heatwave and had rolling blackouts and brownouts throughout the year? Please.

23 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

The technology's not ready. It's never been ready, it's too flawed and we simply can't get enough out of it right now, especially not for even a county-wide scale.

Agree with WarTraveller there.

3 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

And California wants to be all electric by 2035 when the Governor told people to shut the AC off after 2PM during a massive heatwave and had rolling blackouts and brownouts throughout the year?

Lol! Excellent point, Wolfsbane. Demand already exceeds supply there as it is; charging electric cars will put an even bigger strain on the electrical grid. Besides, how do they generate electricity in California to begin with?

• 5 weeks later...

ProtonMail seems to be a great alternative to Gmail! They offer free accounts; paid accounts have more features and storage though (not surprising)

We use end-to-end encryption and zero access encryption to secure emails. This means even we cannot decrypt and read your emails. As a result, your encrypted emails cannot be shared with third parties.

No personal information is required to create your secure email account. By default, we do not keep any IP logs which can be linked to your anonymous email account. Your privacy comes first.

The Inbox has a very clean design & is easy to use. Also, it's very easy to report phising e-mails with the built-in tool.

ProtonMail-login.gif

ProtonMail-free-account.gif

Rumble looks like a viable alternative to You Tube; there's even an app for it :D;)

You have to sign in to see comments there, BTW.

Trippin Brehenys reviewed Rumble here.

Rumble is a video sharing platform that allows video content creators to upload their videos and share in the ad revenue received.  There are no requirements for subscribers or overall view time making it possible to earn ad revenue very quickly.  Rumble provides four different licensing options to give you greater control over your potential earnings.  If you choose the Exclusive Video Management license option and your video gets approved Rumble takes care of the distribution.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 1:44 PM, MoKat said:

Rumble looks like a viable alternative to You Tube; there's even an app for it :D;)

You have to sign in to see comments there, BTW.

Trippin Brehenys reviewed Rumble here.

Okay. Now that we covered this, thanks to Mokat. I think it’s time we find alternatives to Walmart...especially after they literally attacked Senator Hawley on Twitter just because he’s against their production line, which seems to include literal ethnic slaves picking cotton in western China. Yes...I am sadly dead serious on that one. On that note, given the monopolistic practices of Amazon, we should probably discuss ethical alternatives for both of these producers. I am trying to disconnect myself from China as much as possible, especially after they killed one of my loved ones with their CCP virus. I am sure a lot of you are in the same boat, Biden and the other pro-slavery politicians like Romney be damned. 

3 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

I think it’s time we find alternatives to Walmart...especially after they literally attacked Senator Hawley on Twitter just because he’s against their production line, which seems to include literal ethnic slaves picking cotton in western China. Yes...I am sadly dead serious on that one.

As if I needed more reasons to avoid going to Walmart >.<

Sen. Josh Hawley nailed them with his reply tho' 🤣 ^.^

{Edit: Who's the "sore loser" NOW, Walmart? 😄 #BoycottWalmart is trending like crazy!}

3 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

I am trying to disconnect myself from China as much as possible, especially after they killed one of my loved ones with their CCP virus.

China still needs to be punished for all of that 😡

And speaking of slave labor...

Apple slaves REVOLT, destroy factory over $7/month pay

They haven't cleaned up their act at all since this hit years ago:

How the iPhone Helps Perpetuate Modern-Day Slavery [HuffPost]

• 3 weeks later...

The Dershow recently interviewed Rumble founder, Chris Pavlovski. I thought it was interesting.

Rumble wasn't built to be a free speech platform, but in today's climate of big tech censorship it is quickly becoming a hub of free speech and expression. Today, I talk to Rumble Founder, Chris Pavlovski about the platform and the future of online free speech.

Overstock.com is looking like a possible alternative to Wayfair; not so much as an alterantive to Amazon though :P

Updated list of alternatives to Big Tech & their required info.

MeWe - Alt. to FaceBook. Phone # -or- e-mail are required.

Rumble - Alt. to You Tube. E-mail addy required.

Gab - Alt. to Twitter or Messenger. "Community Messaging". E-mail addy required.

Minds - Alt. to FB. Billed as "The leading alternative social network". E-mail addy required.

SafeChat - Alt. to Twitter. Claims to be "a secure & safe social platform". Account name & password are the only fields; "account" can be a username, e-mail addy, or cellphone #. {Edit: not to be confused with SafeChats. SafeChat is a product of Safe Horizon & has an orange icon.}

Etsy - Alt. to Amazon & eBay. "Etsy is a global online marketplace, where people come together to make, sell, buy, and collect unique items." E-mail addy required.

Fortknoxster - msg. app & more; alt. to G-suite. "Private and secure messaging, calling and storage. Military grade encryption." App downloads from https://go.onelink.me/n33W/fkxhomeslider FortKnoxster is also available as a web app for Windows, Mac OS and Linux – claims to be "extremely easy to use on all devices. Encrypted cloud storage, videocalls, private chat and much more." Username, phone #, & password are the only required fields.

Do NOT use Wish.com (malware, fraud, etc.) or QQ (Chinese messaging software made by Tencent)!!!

• 1 month later...

I found a website that helps people find alternatives to popular software

https://alternativeto.net/

The Wikipedia entry about it seems to be accurate:

AlternativeTo is a website which lists alternatives to web-based software, desktop computer software, and mobile apps, and sorts the alternatives by various criteria, including the number of registered users who have clicked the "Like" button for each of them on AlternativeTo.[3]

Users can search the site to find better alternatives to an application they are using or previously have used, including free alternatives such as a free web application (cloud computing) which does not require any installation and can be accessed from any browser.[1]

AlternativeTo was recommended in this Tech Gumbo video - 20 Useful Websites Everyone Should Know! 2021

• 1 month later...