Thought we needed a place to talk about general farming and gardening. I do a class with some special needs friends where we refresh our schooling. We were recently studying Johnny Apple seed, John Chapman. I really like studying the American veterans and pioneers and all they did. Johnny could have not really spread apple seeds around. Apples are very different in taste each generation. Orchard workers usually graft apples. It's how we got apples like the Macintosh.

Edited by IronCheeze
  • Like 1
  • IronCheeze changed the title to Farming, Foraging, and Gardening Zone.

This is a great idea ^.^

I doubt Red needs this, but I'll drop it in case anybody else has a use for it

*drops a link*

The Ultimate Guide To Growing Tomatoes: A List Of Tomato Growing Tips

And if you don't have room for a garden, you can grow 'em in containers.

5 Tips for Growing Tomatoes in Pots

A great benefit to growing tomatoes in containers is portability; you can move the containers to take advantage of the best growing conditions. Containers are particularly useful if you don't have in-ground garden space; containers can be placed on a balcony, porch, patio, driveway, or deck. You can enjoy home-grown tomatoes even if you don't have room for a traditional garden.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 1:00 PM, MoKat said:

This is a great idea ^.^

*drops a link*

Oh I was totally tomatoed out this summer. 🤪 Sadly I do need this. I lost someone with a green thumb this summer. I feel personally led to help his widow keep his garden alive next year. Any help like this is appreciated (won’t get it from sleepy fat cat @Mike Arcade). XP

Anyways, Kentucky is an odd place for growing. Sometimes I am picking peppers all the way up into late October and early November. Sometimes it snows in September. Bet the pioneers had hell of a time. Noticed the foraging part of this, thought I would add this:

On 11/24/2020 at 5:20 PM, Mike Arcade said:

@TheRedStranger Hey, I could Garden too...I've just never done it before. X_X

On that note, I'd love to grow my own Watermelons, simply because those are great fruit and they are delicious. Could also save a lot of money if I grew my own potatoes too. :)

You would probably grow the Tuberculum Stibadarum easilyIt seems to be your kind of potato. 😁

Watermelons are typically easy to grow but need some breathing room. Potato’s are easy but you probably want to go for quality rather than quantity seeing how cheap they are in the grocery store due to economies-of-scale. Last time I checked, sweet potatoes are the most calorically dense vegetable. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 1:00 PM, MoKat said:

This is a great idea ^.^

*drops a link*

I think I should do this for my porch. I can make tomatos for pizza sauce. I am going to learn how to garden from my neighbor. She is really smart when it comes to growing just about anything. We had so much tomatoes this year from her alone that it looked like we were collecting them to throw at candidates for the election. XP

Edited by IronCheeze
On 11/26/2020 at 3:12 AM, TheRedStranger said:

sweet potatoes are the most calorically dense vegetable. 

Wow! I did not know that! I need to actually try sweet potatoes. My brother likes sweet potato pie.

Stinging Nettle sound fascinating. I would love to start hunting for greens and natural plants and see what I can make with my outdoorsy buddy @Sargent Beeler..

@Wulfsbane Any recipes would you recommend?

On 11/26/2020 at 2:12 AM, TheRedStranger said:

Last time I checked, sweet potatoes are the most calorically dense vegetable. 

And they are delicous, especially mashed & with a dash of cinnamon on top :)

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, MoKat said:

And they are delicous, especially mashed & with a dash of cinnamon on top :)

And full of Beta-carotene. Actually Golden Rice has some of its genes. It’s being used to cure blindness caused by Vitamin A defiency in poor countries....It has helped a lot of poor people. 

...and Greenpeace gaffes money from people while trying to ban it...because it’s a GMO. :/

Even in the dead of winter, it’s fascinating how much we are provided, if we are willing to look with prudent eyes.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:27 PM, TheRedStranger said:

Actually Golden Rice has some of its genes. It’s being used to cure blindness caused by Vitamin A defiency in poor countries....It has helped a lot of poor people. 

I read about that somewhere, just don't recall where.

As for Greenpeace, they don't care about peopel; they're just a bunch of idiots who want to control people (just like PETA) and they don't really look at facts or use logic :P If they did, they would realize that not all GMOs are bad.

{Edit: we have some wild onions growing in the front yard; easy to see right now because the grass is brown.}

17 hours ago, MoKat said:

have some wild onions growing in the front yard; easy to see right now because the grass is brown

Much cheaper than chives. Cut them up, wash them in a bunch, then  and slowly dry them out on a really low heat for a while in a toaster oven or skillet, kind of the way you caramelize onions, and I am sure you could use them as a tasty garnish for potato soups, egg drop soup, just plain old scrambled eggs. I always found cooking or sweating them a bit is better than raw. It gets rid of any gamey tartiness, but breaking the carbs inside down into a tasty sucrose, just like when you caramelize any onion.