Animated Movies News

MoKat

I was looking to make a thread for upcoming animated movies, but decided the topic needed to be broader; so here we are.

I'll open with this video that was posted by the FilmSpot Trailer channel on PooTube:

TOP UPCOMING ANIMATION MOVIES 2021 & 2022 (Trailers)
00:00 The Boss Baby 2 Family Business
02:05 Hotel Transylvania 4 Transformania
 04:07 Minions 2 The Rise of Gru
07:28 DC League of Super Pets
07:53 Space Jam 2 A New Legacy
10:22 Ghostbusters 3 Afterlife
13:42 Master
15:04 Monsters At Work
16:35 Paw Patrol The Movie
18:41 Rumble
20:27 The Addams Family 2
21:24 Ron's Gone Wrong
23:23 Jungle Cruise
25:19 Luca
27:45 Peter Rabbit 2
30:02 Wish Dragon
32:48 Spirit 2 Untamed

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 1:35 PM, Mike Arcade said:

...how does Ghostbusters count as an animated feature?

The CGI in it I suppose 🤷‍♀️

TBH, I've been rather apathetic myself lately, especially when it comes to Disney 😴

Some of those (judging by the trailers) might have potential tho'

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers review – surprisingly sharp Disney+ update

The short-lived late 80s animated series gets a satirical yet earnest reboot with sly jabs at the industry and a host of comedians doing voice work

But inside the Trojan horse of a lazily inevitable kids adventure is a surprisingly sharp and detailed comedy. It’s not quite on par with Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, the film it undoubtedly wants to be likened to, but it’s infinitely better than it had any right to be.

Yeah, I was a fan of that show & I'm very skeptical, given Disney's track record. Well, TBH, I'm skeptical of anything The Guardian says these days :P

‘Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers’ Might be One of Disney’s Strangest Films to Date [Hollywood Insider]

If the trailer is any indication, then I'm inclined to agree:

"Nobody wants a reboot!" 🤣

It's funny cuz it's true ;)

I'll probably pass on watching this one.

• 5 months later...

The Walt Disney Company Attempts To Solve Its Problems By Rehiring The Architect Of Those Problems, Bob Iger Returns As CEO, Bob Chapek Is Out [Bounding Into Comics]

The Walt Disney Company announced that former CEO Bob Iger was named CEO by the Disney Board of Directors after Bob Chapek was seemingly fired from his position.

The press released added, “Iger, who spent more than four decades at the Company, including 15 years as its CEO, has agreed to serve as Disney’s CEO for two years, with a mandate from the Board to set the strategic direction for renewed growth and to work closely with the Board in developing a successor to lead the Company at the completion of his term. Iger succeeds Bob Chapek, who has stepped down from his position.”

I don't like the sound of this; Iger "retired" for a reason :/

“Disney is now a consumer-facing company not just with theme parks and products, but also with media,” tweeted Alex Kruglov

Disney ousts Bob Chapek, brings back Bob Iger as CEO [NY Post]

Though the company’s board said he resigned, sources said Chapek was likely blindsided by his reported ouster. As of late last week, he was unsure what would happen within Disney’s top leadership, they said.

The switch-up follows the revelation of Disney’s dismal fourth-quarter earnings, which Chapek was accused of downplaying and being downright “delusional” about.

Sounds like Chapek was thrown under the proverbial bus.

Disney Fires CEO Bob Chapek after Woke War with DeSantis [National Review via Yahoo! News]

The announcement came as a surprise given Chapek renewed his contract in July after the company’s board of directors unanimously voted to extend the contract for another three years.

Yeah, other source pointed that out as well.

EPIC FAIL! Strange World is a box office DISASTER for Disney! EMBARRASSING box office haul! [Yellow Flash, 10 min.]

The new Disney movie Strange World (2022) is not doing so well in the box office! Looks like, aside from the Black Panther Wakanda Forever movie, Disney is not having such a great time in the theaters! Looks like this is another Lightyear flop for the house of the mouse!

The Wall Street Journal was not impressed - ‘Strange World’ Review: Disney Limps to the Ends of the Earth

Rarely does a Disney animated feature arrive in theaters with as little fanfare as “Strange World,” which is limping into the multiplexes like an afterthought to the slate of comic-book movies that have once again ruled the box office this year. “No one is talking about it,” the 14-year-old Disney obsessive in my household tells me. The same holds true among film critics. You’d think that at least one of us would have heard some discussion.

Lack of enthusiasm turns out to be the correct mood in which to approach “Strange World,” a low-thrills adventure set in Avalonia, a secret civilization hidden in the mountains. The swashbuckling adventurer Jaeger Clade (voiced by Dennis Quaid) clashes with his gentle, plant-loving son Searcher (Jake Gyllenhaal), then storms off during a quarrel and goes missing for 25 years.

The New York Post was a little nicer to it

While “Strange World,” directed by Don Hall and Qui Nguyen, is about overcoming perils to arrive at a faraway destination, the graver danger lies in the father-son feuds that span three generations. Their goal is to find the source of pando — and some common ground. 

The tale itself is not quite so breathtaking as its aesthetic. The relationships could be more fraught and not so easily repaired. The setup is also too basic. Disney’s “Encanto,” in contrast, also dealt with living up to one’s family’s expectations but with much greater ingenuity and a wallop of surprise.

The adage "get woke, go broke" comes to mind.