Okay, so with an apparent copyright claim with Sonic Frontier/Frontiers, it was long overdue that we made this topic.

There's also a rumor going around that this game will be a Soft Reboot of the games. With all this in mind, what do you all think about this? Let us know if you are looking forward to the next entry in Sonic the Hedgehog. :)

Edited by Mike Arcade
The Game is Offically Announced

7 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

There's also a rumor going around that this game will be a Soft Reboot of the games.

No it wont. The guy who said it was got it off of something he claimed Ian Flynn said, and Ian set the record straight that he never said anything like that. Plus the guy is one of those "I want to be first, screw accuracy" types.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Okay, so with an apparent copyright claim with Sonic Frontier/Frontiers, it was long overdue that we made this topic.

There's also a rumor going around that this game will be a Soft Reboot of the games. With all this in mind, what do you all think about this? Let us know if you are looking forward to the next entry in Sonic the Hedgehog. :)

I’m curious and cautious. I feel it maybe a repeat of sonic boom with the games being dull and/or a buggy messes. Sure it had interesting concepts but concepts can only go so far. 

• Like 1

Wot IGN has to say about it - Sonic 2022 May Be Called Sonic Frontiers

Sega recently filed new trademarks for a number of its franchises including one for a game called Sonic Frontiers, which may well be the name for Sonic's mysterious 2022 entry.

As reported by Gematsu, the video games publisher filed a number of new trademarks last month, including a move to secure a trademark in both Japanese and English for a new game called Sonic Frontiers - a move that has prompted speculation around its still-unnamed upcoming Sonic project.

While the publisher hasn't stated the purpose of the trademark, it is possible that it could be the name of the new Sonic Team game currently in development by the studio. The game was initially teased back in May during a short trailer that showed Sonic running through a forest-like setting and confirmed a 2022 release date.

Sounds like it's still in devolpment.

Rumours have centred around the idea that the new Sonic game could take an open world approach, something that the name Frontiers would tally with, although it must be stressed that this amounts to speculation at this point.

So, more like Sonic Adventure (?)

• Like 1

Forgive me if I feel...pessimistic. But Colours Ultimate's state, especially on Switch, kind of confirmed to me that Sega just sees Sonic as a quick buck. If they rush out a port that someone else made, I fear what will happen to something with any actual ambition in it...

6 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

Forgive me if I feel...pessimistic. But Colours Ultimate's state, especially on Switch, kind of confirmed to me that Sega just sees Sonic as a quick buck. If they rush out a port that someone else made, I fear what will happen to something with any actual ambition in it...

Most of the issues on the Switch were due to an unsupported emulator and the guy who made the bug video admitted it a few days later. Most of the issues that were shown werent actually there when people played on actual Switches

But hey, it gave us watching Arin Hanson get extremely angry that he played through an entire Sonic game that had no major bugs or issues

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 11:27 PM, Wulfsbane said:

No it wont. The guy who said it was got it off of something he claimed Ian Flynn said, and Ian set the record straight that he never said anything like that. Plus the guy is one of those "I want to be first, screw accuracy" types.

Gotcha, thanks for the save dude.

Whatever this game will be, it'll certainly be interesting after Forces, as where else can you take this series after that?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mike Arcade changed the title to Sonic Frontiers

Ian did the work. He has finally hit his dream to write a Sonic game. This should serve as motivation to a lot of Sonic fans now, whether it's getting into the games, comic, tvs shows, etc.

He's already a major improvement over Pontac and Graff... because Ian actually knows the series.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, MoKat said:

Another teaser/ trailer dropped...

Just beat me to it. XP

It looks rather impressive so far, gotta say I like the High Speed Combat, and was that loop attack a callback to NiGHTS? So far I’m pretty impressed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Just beat me to it. XP

It looks rather impressive so far, gotta say I like the High Speed Combat, and was that loop attack a callback to NiGHTS? So far I’m pretty impressed.

so am i. as for the ememies they don't look like the usual run of the mill badniks we had in the past.

• Lore-Respect. 1

So we got a gameplay preview!

And…it’s probably the most underwhelming preview of all time. No combat, just running around.

It looks nice, but the top trending comment so far is “It looks like a tech demo.”

They really needed to show more. Hopefully they do, because the teaser was better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

And…it’s probably the most underwhelming preview of all time. No combat, just running around.

It looks nice, but the top trending comment so far is “It looks like a tech demo.”

I can see why; for one thing, there was a distinct lack of enemies :P

{Edit: And what's up with that bird?}

Edited by MoKat
added a comment

While fan reception has certainly been mixed, apparently critic reception has been quite high, unusually high for that matter. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Because this is the most bizarre reaction to a Sonic Game I've seen...probably ever.

21 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

While fan reception has certainly been mixed, apparently critic reception has been quite high, unusually high for that matter. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Because this is the most bizarre reaction to a Sonic Game I've seen...probably ever.

Yeah, that -does- seem strange. Think there could be some shenanigans going on with the "hype train"? Or is it simply that the critics think fans are hungry for a -good- Sonic game & the timing is right given that the 2nd movie came out this year (?)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MoKat said:

Yeah, that -does- seem strange. Think there could be some shenanigans going on with the "hype train"? Or is it simply that the critics think fans are hungry for a -good- Sonic game & the timing is right given that the 2nd movie came out this year (?)

Maybe? I'm hearing constant fluctuations on how good the game is, Frontiers has literally become a Schrodinger's Cat, we'll only know when it comes out at this point.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, TheRedStranger said:

Really hope to see the world more populated and alive.

You and me both, though considering from the sound of Starfall Islands, I sincerely doubt it.

I’m starting to think that this game is more of a test bed for what they could possibly do in the future, if Sonic Team even has a future at this rate.

I want this to be good, but I have my doubts. Can you blame me though?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sonic Frontiers looks like a live service game with all its free updates [Polygon]

The “open-zone” Sonic game, which blends traditional 3D and 2D Sonic levels with open world exploration, is going to be getting a whole lot of content down the line. Sega announced a release timeline for updates that showed that the game will be getting new features, modes, additional story, and character skins in 2023.

All the updates will be free to everyone who owns Sonic Frontiers. The specific details of what content we’ll get, and when it’ll come out, will be revealed “at a later date,” according to a release from Sega. You can view the graphic below that lays out a general timeline of the upcoming new content.

The release comes as a surprise because Sonic Frontiers unfolds like a traditional open-world RPG with a beginning, middle, and end. The new content won’t cost more, so it’s not like a standard DLC update. So now it seems like Sega and Sonic Team are giving the game the live service treatment.

If you don’t want to wait super-long for a treat, players will be able to download the free Holiday Cheer Suit DLC on Dec. 21. If you get it, you’ll be able to dress Sonic in some cute holiday-inspired apparel.

So what's a "Holiday Cheer Suit"? ;D 

{Edit: I guess they're too chicken to call it a Santa suit :P}

Edited by MoKat
added a comment
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...