What was your favorite: Classic.

if i had to choose I'd go with sonic 2, sure sonic 3 was vastly superior, but 2 was the first one me and my siblings owned, it had the brighter more speed oriented levels and a rockin soundtrack that holds up to this day. also tails, and a distinct lack of labyrinth zone (never again). 

Sonic 3K, no question, due to the following:

1) Story. It's not super-in-your-face, but it's there, moreso than the past two.

2) Three playable characters, with unique abilities. Tails in Sonic 2 was just a slightly nerfed Sonic, while in Sonic 3, he can fly, jump higher, is a bit slower, and has Super mode of his own, even if it is tougher to get.

3) Super Emeralds.

4) Mecha Sonic.

5) Doomsday Zone.

• 2 weeks later...

Sonic 3 and Knuckles.  Still my favorite video game of all time.  The game features better graphics than the previous ones and has a storyline seen with some game cutscenes.  All the characters in the game are memorable and fun to play, and each character was similar in gameplay but had enough unique traits that the player wants to play all the levels with each character.  The levels were amazing: so many themes, obstacles, enemies, traps, and gimmicks that are needed in a platformer.  The game was also able to balance Sonic's speed play with exploration: take Marble Garden Zone.  Nothing like raking speed down the slopes, but at the same time the level had so many alternate paths and secrets to explore.  The co-play system with Sonic and Tails is also a given plus.  The emerald stages were intense (the speed-up was amazing), and it helped there were now 14 emerald stages to complete.  Three bonus levels are a nice bonus, and it was always nice to have 999 rings at the end of the stage.  Jumping at the sign post was a gifted bonus, and so were the odd ways the capsale was shown at the end of the boss fights.  Speaking of boss fights, there was enough of a variety in difficulty to not make them too mundane or too hard.  Super and Hyper forms?  Bangarang! 

The only thing I would change with the game was the 2 player mode.  Sonic 2 had the better formula.

• 3 weeks later...

The music was also amazing and breeches the supposed limits on the 16bit sound card . To think Micheal Jackson worked on it still boogles the kind a bit. The Ending Theme of Sonic and Stranger in Moscow melodically similar for a reason.

https://youtu.be/yZdiu84GS48

See the mash up and it fits perfectly. 

I love how the music is getting remixed and modernized as well:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I concur with you, MJ Knight.  Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still my favorite video game: there's just so much in the game that makes it an amazing Sonic game (platforming, exploring, collectables, enemies, hazards, various level designs, various characters, etc.).

On 25/08/2016 at 1:29 AM, Ishapar said:

I concur with you, MJ Knight.  Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still my favorite video game: there's just so much in the game that makes it an amazing Sonic game (platforming, exploring, collectables, enemies, hazards, various level designs, various characters, etc.).

They say great minds think alike