Positivity Thread: A Place to Restore Your Faith.

Those who know me may also know that I suffer from depression. This topic isn't about that, per-say. It's more about the fact that there are little things that make me feel good when I'm in a funk. And things that just in general make me smile, or at least smirk. Here's a list of things that I enjoy. Please share your own stuff that makes you happy or that just makes for a nice occasional indulgence or whatnot. But please try to avoid squicky subjects (my RPers know what I'm talking about). Sometimes, sharing ideas like this can be of a real help to anyone reading this topic.

1. A good, hot bath or soak in the tub with music playing. This is just a good way to relax and relieve muscle tension and generally feel a lot better during and after. I typically use the shower, so a proper bath or tub soak is more of an indulgence for me. It's a great way for me to feel "recharged", if I have the time to utilize it.
  2. Spending time with my dogs. They're always happy to see me, and are a great positive influence in my life. If you're not a dog person, that's alright. Maybe you've got some other pet that makes you happy?
  3. Revisiting old favorite movies and tv shows. This is something I do fairly often, as it takes me to a good mental place. Most of my library is action, comedy, sci-fi, and horror. And any number of mixtures of those.
  4. Revisiting old favorite games. Just because a game is old, that doesn't make it bad. In fact, a lot of the old games are more fun than newer variants. I have a NES, SNES, N-64, Gamecube, Wii, and an Xbox 360. Sometimes, it just feels good to fire up an older game, like Thundercade or the original Legend of Zelda.
  5. Music. I will listen to just about anything, except for Classical (makes me want to sleep) or Rap (just plain awful stuff). But I gravitate more towards Country, 80's Rock, and videogame and movie soundtracks. Tribal style music tends to also be rather good, since it's designed to invoke emotions more directly. I grew up listening to the radio and almost always have something to listen to throughout the day. I keep some more calm instrumental music to listen to when I need more help getting to sleep, too. It seems to help.

As I said in the intro part of the post, I want to keep this topic squick-free. It's sort of a self-help style topic and I don't think that we need to be giving people bad mental images in such a topic.

I'm a bit torn between the original Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past. I was rather surprised that ALTTP wasn't included in the Zelda Collection for Gamecube. Whichever ends up second, third place is a solid Twilight Princess. I quite enjoy Wolf Link, and the bomb arrows.

As for what my dogs look like. Here's a pic. It's not too good quality because the camera lens in my phone is broken or something. Won't focus properly. Orange one is the female, whose eye makes up my avatar. She was found at the place where we used to have the oilfield stuff and I started feeding her and she got used to hanging out with us and going for truck rides. The other one is male and seems to be a German Shepherd mix. He's not friendly with strangers of any species, but has never so much as growled at me, except during my initial attempt to put a collar on him. He showed up a few weeks after I brought the female home. He was just laying beside my truck and acted like he was supposed to be there. Since he got along with both of us, he got to stay, and we became a pack.

P101414_0809b.jpg

18 minutes ago, Rick Tyger said:

As I said in the intro part of the post, I want to keep this topic squick-free. It's sort of a self-help style topic and I don't think that we need to be giving people bad mental images in such a topic.

I'm a bit torn between the original Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past. I was rather surprised that ALTTP wasn't included in the Zelda Collection for Gamecube. Whichever ends up second, third place is a solid Twilight Princess. I quite enjoy Wolf Link, and the bomb arrows.

As for what my dogs look like. Here's a pic. It's not too good quality because the camera lens in my phone is broken or something. Won't focus properly. Orange one is the female, whose eye makes up my avatar. She was found at the place where we used to have the oilfield stuff and I started feeding her and she got used to hanging out with us and going for truck rides. The other one is male and seems to be a German Shepherd mix. He's not friendly with strangers of any species, but has never so much as growled at me, except during my initial attempt to put a collar on him. He showed up a few weeks after I brought the female home. He was just laying beside my truck and acted like he was supposed to be there. Since he got along with both of us, he got to stay, and we became a pack.

P101414_0809b.jpg

I agree. That's why I was complimenting you for such. :) You're already making this forum a better place.

Wolf link was a fun concept that really made that game stand out more. The story in Link to the Past was fulfilling, I liked how there was sort of a Coupe going on in a good land that I had to stop.

The great thing about a dog is that when they pick you, they are loyal to the end.

I like how the original Zelda is such an expansive game, while most of the later games have become more condensed. I think the closes to it in a modern game is Skyrim. The story is there, but it's not forced upon you. you can go around and just beat up on badguys all day, or go exploring to find those little hidden areas of the game. Maybe it's that similarity that Skyrim has that attracts me to is so much, lately. It's a good "spiritual successor" to the original LOZ.

I enjoy the duality of the light and dark worlds in A Link To The Past. Also, Ether and Bombos rock! They need to bring those medallions back. Again, I find myself thinking of Skyrim. Firestorm is very much akin to the old Bombos medallion. It's fun setting everything in the room on fire all at once.

The dual worlds thing coming into play again with Twilight Princess is another wonderful thing. It makes us look at things differently, and really think through some strategies about how something in one world will affect something in the other. My thoughts this time go toward Prey's "Spirit Walk" function, where you can leave your own body and do some exploration before hitting that switch that will shut off the force-field so your physical self can go through. Another fun game that utilizes a similar feature is Timesplitters 3, where you end up creating time loops and interacting with yourself at various points in the game. TP has more story to it, which is a trade-off from the more expansive world setup. But it does have enough side-quest-ish stuff to make the game not completely linear. And again the bomb arrows. Those can make short work of some fights that were set up to be otherwise rather difficult. It brings out the old Dukes of Hazzard fan in me. And I like that me. He's fun to be around. B|

• Like 1

That feeling of having contributed something is nice. Be it something tangible, or just having helped someone or just gotten in a productive day at work, or whatnot.

Recently, I spared the life of a black snake that had gotten too close to my dogs and was in a SEK Standoff, and later that day, the life of a lightning bug that had gotten trapped in my bathtub. Making a point of not killing creatures that aren't causing any harm is always a good thing. ^_^ But don't expect me to extend this courtesy to spiders. Those things would kill us all if they had the opportunity.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

playing old games after not playing them for a long time. this is made immensely better as you forget just enough as to feel like its your first time playing again, while being able to remember the nostalgic areas and moments.

On 8/21/2016 at 1:24 PM, F07E said:

playing old games after not playing them for a long time. this is made immensely better as you forget just enough as to feel like its your first time playing again, while being able to remember the nostalgic areas and moments.

Same goes with movies. Watched The Mummy again the other day. I love it - cheesy in all the right places.

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2016 at 6:43 AM, Rick Tyger said:

Revisiting old favorite games. Just because a game is old, that doesn't make it bad. In fact, a lot of the old games are more fun than newer variants.

I agree.

Other stuff that makes me feel good:

1. Listening to music

2. A good cup of coffee when the weather is cold (which is something you cannot get from Starbucks :D)

3. chocolate

4. petting the cat (or course, she has to want it first...and sometimes she wants it when I'm busy)

• 3 months later...

We don't have a Starbucks in any of our local towns. Most people here just prefer coffee black with sugar.

Cats can be rather temperamental, which is why I prefer the company of dogs. But I can often get along with cats, once they get over the fact that I smell like I've been petting dogs.

• Daytona Day! Watching the races with my grandpa is nice. And this is the race that kicks off the new season of NASCAR.
  • Collecting new and old songs for my MP3 player. I prefer to own the CDs of the music I have, in case something happens to my computer or something. Doing this also often leads to the discovery of some nifty "forgotten" songs that never saw radio air time.
  • 1 month later...
On 4/22/2017 at 11:17 AM, WarTraveller said:

So...what's this? A type of smoothie?

It's the precursor to smoothies. And, a few years ago, Dairy Queen bought the company. It's cool that they've still kept 'em going, too. A nice bit of nostalgia for those of us who grew up in the pre-smoothie era, back when all that Sonic had to drink was Limeade and Cherry Limeade...

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

1) Chunking off my Student Loans

2) Paying off Car loan (Half way there)

3) Better situating myself for the future

4) A good year on here and expand.

5) Getting better in writing and drawing.

6) A Bruins and/or Winnipeg Jets Cup run (though if they face each other in the SCF I might have a dilemma).

I'll tag @WarTraveller

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear from me right now, but I'm not exactly looking forward to anything this year. I kind of....don't look forward to anything anymore anyway. Really the only thing I was looking forward to, my birthday, has already come and gone.

12 minutes ago, TheRedStranger said:

Something got you down? This is place to post and seek good news in a world that feeds on an once of negativity and ignores the flood of good around us all. Have something heart warming to share? Post it here. :)

I know of a site that has plenty of those: Good News Stories From Around the World That Will Brighten Your Day

There's even a site dedicated to positive news.

• Like 1