Assassin's Creed

So, I recently picked up the Ezio Trilogy, and The Americas Collection, from Wal-Mart's "bargain wall" for $13 each. So far, I must say that I'm underwhelmed. I've played a little of AC III before realizing that it may be better to get my bearings with AC II. So, now, I've met up with Mario (the "it's-a me! Mario!" line was worth the whole $26 investment), and killed the punk who was taunting me at the beginning of the game. I've noticed that the game does seem to get a bit better with progress, but I'm wondering how far into it I have to get to achieve the "this is an awesome game" status that the series seems to have amongst its fans... At present, I can only stand to play for about an hour or 2, before I start losing interest.

the only one's I played were AC4; where the awesome part was basically being a toned back pirates of the Caribbean game (except for the modern day segments, they kinda just were there cause they were), and AC Unityassetflip; where it had its moments of being moderately decent, and also parts that made you want Arno to just drop dead (and the bugs, oh the bugs...). as far as I can tell, the AC series never aged well when it comes to how many years later you play it.