Review the Last Sonic Boom Episode you Saw

Okay, here's something I'm kind of surprised wasn't a thing for a while - review the last Sonic Boom episode you watched. Now for me, that isn't exactly a regular thing, the only reason I checked out the episode I'll talk about is because a lot of people said it was actually good. I still hate Sonic Boom, because I feel like the whole thing was geared up for one thing and then changed outright in the name of marketability and toy-shilling. But I do still check out the episodes of Season 2 every now and again. And this is what I'm going to do here.

It's simple really; just list the general, spoiler-free synopsis of the episode, why you took an interest in it, the pros, the cons and a rating. For this specific thread, I will be using a Rating System using popular quotes from the franchise in general; the more badass the quote, the better the episode, and the more boorish the quote the worse the episode was. Here it is;

+3: “No Copyright Law in the Universe is going to stop me!”

+2: “As long as I can still strangle a Zeti, my hands are fine.”

+1: “Aww Yeah, this is happen’!”

0: “Yosh~”

-1: “That Tornado is Carrying a Car!”

-2: “Bounce Pad!”

-3:  “GOTTA GO FAST OLOLOLOLOL”

...Okay that last one is probably a little off, but still.

EPISODE: Give Bees a Chance

Like I said, I only really watched this episode because it was said to be good. I certainly found it interesting, though - an episode written by Cindy Robinson, who obviously is more of an actor than a real writer, instead of a more...predictable choice like Ian Flynn. So I supposed I'd sit through it and see if Ms Robinson can write like she can act. As it turns out? She sort of can.

Synopsis: After fighting off Eggman for the latest plot coupon, the Fregosi Sapphire, Amy finds a damaged but still ticking Bee Bot among the rubble. Having Tails fix and repair her, she and the robot become best friends, with Amy treating the robot like a pet.  

Pros:

1. The Jokes. Seems Robinson can write better jokes than Flynn or any of the other writers on this show. They're still childish, sure, but they're a bit smarter and a bit funnier this time 'round, which is nice. Plus it's kind of funny to see the normally composed team run around screaming when they burn the cupcakes in the middle of the episode.
  2. This joke specifically. I dunno, it's kind of clever and kind of hilarious. It was the kind of fourth-wall, surreal comedy I WANTED to see from this series but alas never got. Also paints the picture that Sonic is actually a lot older than he wants to be and tries to act younger and hipper, and that's funny. 

SONIC: Coming in for a hard landing, Tails! You got me covered?

TAILS: Roger!

KNUCKLES: Who's Roger?

SONIC: *in Roger Craig Smith's natural voice* He's talking to me. *normal Sonic voice* Thanks buddy! I owe you one!

3. Amy's relation with Bea. It's...surprisingly genuine, for what is shown. Thing is, not a lot of it is shown, owing to the whole "11 minutes" thing - we don't even see WHY Amy wants to revive the broken Bee Bot - but still, what they do show is surprisingly well-done. It's not GREAT, of course, but it's...good. For what it is.
  4. Eggman. Well, it's Boom Eggman. He's still funny. S'about all you can say, really.
  5. The bit with the Gogobas is mercifully short. Seriously, why do those things keep turning up?
  6. Knuckles' interactions with the Fregosi Sapphire. Short, very short, but very amusing too. In the same way Amy's interactions with Bea are good in that they're well-written, Knuckles taking care of the sapphire like a baby (complete with pouch) is good in that it's really funny.

Cons:

1. The Fregosi Sapphire itself. Seriously, just use the damn Chaos Emeralds already. You've already hinted at their potential existence seeing as Knuckles still comes from Angel Island, so there MUST be a Master Emerald. Also, it's a reference to a show (The Munsters and their Fregosi Emerald, if you must know) that no kid is going to get and no adult is going to sit through to see.
  2. Cindy Robinson's acting. Don't get me wrong, she's probably a nice person and very much a decent actor but be it SEGA's mandates or the character herself she just can't get a good grasp of it when Amy has to act emotional. Which, being Amy, is a regular thing. The moment the clinched it for me is when Bea is told to "play dead" and she promptly explodes - admittedly a funny scene - where Amy lets out the most awkward cry of anguish I've ever heard. It sounds like if someone stomped on a duck, it just didn't work. Same with the sad scenes - it can be hard to fake cry, trust me I've tried, but I still feel like another take was sort of needed. Rest of her acting was okay, though.
  3. Amy turns into an idiot in the middle of the episode. Like, I get it, sentimentality and all that but seriously she stops the group from fighting a horde of Buzzbombers - oh sorry, BeeBots - because one of them MIGHT be Bea, taking the Sapphire and allowing Eggman to put it in his Recycled No-Budget Model-Reuse Robot #280. It might be because I lack empathy, but...well, it was a BeeBot. There's millions of others she could have befriended. Also, she KNEW Eggman could recall the thing at any time, since she saw him try it. The only reason it didn't take was because Eggman didn't know his password. So...why not get Tails to remove that bit of code from the thing's memory? Or, I dunno, put a sticker on her or something? She KNEW Eggman could do it at any time...so why didn't she DO anything?
  4. This Line: "People have been complaining that I don't guard enough rare stones!" Uh...that's actually a legit problem with Knuckles' character. In ALL incarnations, not just the Boom version. It's just more galling seeing as its coming from Sonic Boom, which throughout season 2 has sort of been dusting off a lot of legit complaints and embarrassing circumstances with statements (not jokes, STATEMENTS) about how awful they are. It kind of made sense with mocking the use of "Blast Processing", seeing as its the most buzzwordy buzzword that's ever been buzzworded, but this is an actual problem with the character of Knuckles throughout the entire franchise - subverting what he's supposedly supposed to be for the sake of the story OR for the sake of comedy. And that's something a lot of people say you should never do.

Overview: Turns out that, for someone who is primarily an actor, Cindy Robinson is actually pretty good at writing, too. It's not really all that great, I mean there aren't as many cons but I personally think they're very severe issues, but considering some of the pure trash I've seen from this show this is extremely satisfying. It's even an episode I might watch again! And again, that's no easy feat for this show. So...yeah. It's good. Check it out.

Rating: +2: “As long as I can still strangle a Zeti, my hands are fine.”

Well, that was my review. Got an episode of Sonic Boom you want to talk about? Well come on down and post about it right here!

• Like 1