Your favourite Sonic X episode

DaddlerTheDalek

Daddler I just gotta say, this was extremely hard to figure out. Since Sonic X to me is the weakest show in the series (and poorly animated too XP), though I will say that the scene with the former GUN Soldier was really interesting and one of my favorite parts of the show, it's in Episode 37 where we are given a name and a face for the man who shot Maria...I mean now THAT is something note worthy, and you can tell this is a man who has been haunted by that moment for the rest of his life, it could have been better but it was actually pretty good.

Otherwise...it's a mishandled series that can be a literal pain to watch and confusing at times. The English Dub cut up anything with a slight twinge of humanity and sharpness, while the originally intended and uncut English Sub shows that the show was still a mess overall with how they handled just about every level of Character, Story, Premise, and Setting. With how Sonic is and how the show ends up I do wonder if TMS Entertainment, the animation studio behind Sonic X, had ulterior motives and were caught up with Sega Mandates during a time before they became infamous, hence why Sonic X is how we know of it today.

Consider how Sonic himself is in the show it makes me wonder if that thought might be true, as it's been rumored but never confirmed that Season 3 was so dark because of the changes 4Kids did to the English Dub. If that rumor was true, could there have been a similar thing that happened between TMS and Sega? It's all speculation on my end, but what I mean by how Sonic is...let me put it this way, while I can confidently say that Sonic of SatAM is a Hero, I can surely say with no benefit of a doubt that Sonic of Sonic X is NOT a Hero, at all.

That's just me though, anyone else got a favorite episode or scene? I'd love to hear what you all think. :)

• Like 1

I used to enjoy Sonic X as a kid as it was the first Sonic cartoon I ever watched.  I enjoyed the Metarex Saga more than the Earth saga, but I am not sure which episode was my favorite.  Any episode that trudged toward an epic scene was usually doused by character stealing moments or an undeveloped plot.  I think it's easier to say I enjoyed certain parts of Sonic X better than a specific episode. 

I guess one episode that I do like is the one where Sonic spends the day with Helen (the girl in the wheelchair) because he promised to take her to the island with the flowers.  The president's aide was very immature, but the episode showed us a part of Sonic that isn't revealed too much: he gave his word to a new friend and stayed by it.  The only reason Sonic went to see the president was because Helen asked him to go.  Sonic does have his moments of humility, and it usually corresponds to his loyalty to friends.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Daddler I just gotta say, this was extremely hard to figure out. Since Sonic X to me is the weakest show in the series (and poorly animated too XP), though I will say that the scene with the former GUN Soldier was really interesting and one of my favorite parts of the show, it's in Episode 37 where we are given a name and a face for the man who shot Maria...I mean now THAT is something note worthy, and you can tell this is a man who has been haunted by that moment for the rest of his life, it could have been better but it was actually pretty good.

Otherwise...it's a mishandled series that can be a literal pain to watch and confusing at times. The English Dub cut up anything with a slight twinge of humanity and sharpness, while the originally intended and uncut English Sub shows that the show was still a mess overall with how they handled just about every level of Character, Story, Premise, and Setting. With how Sonic is and how the show ends up I do wonder if TMS Entertainment, the animation studio behind Sonic X, had ulterior motives and were caught up with Sega Mandates during a time before they became infamous, hence why Sonic X is how we know of it today.

Consider how Sonic himself is in the show it makes me wonder if that thought might be true, as it's been rumored but never confirmed that Season 3 was so dark because of the changes 4Kids did to the English Dub. If that rumor was true, could there have been a similar thing that happened between TMS and Sega? It's all speculation on my end, but what I mean by how Sonic is...let me put it this way, while I can confidently say that Sonic of SatAM is a Hero, I can surely say with no benefit of a doubt that Sonic of Sonic X is NOT a Hero, at all.

That's just me though, anyone else got a favorite episode or scene? I'd love to hear what you all think. :)

So you think Sonic in Sonic X is not a hero?  I'm curious for your reasoning behind this statement.  I always took it that the writers made Sonic act almost like a superhero hence why he has such a shallow personality compared to his other appearances.

Ah that's what you might think of at first glance, you see him running around and fighting, that much is true. He does have Heroic Moments though, such as helping that Helen girl, or saving the day, the best way to describe it is the scene in Disney's Hercules, where Zeus tells his son that he is not a True Hero. It's like that, he doesn't have the spirit of a true hero, I know that sounds transparent but let me give you an example. In Episode 4  He and his friends are looking for the first Chaos Emerald, we do see him look around for it a bit, only for him to decide to wait for his friends and quit searching, don't you think he should keep searching or think that just maybe Eggman might be looking for it too?

Good example, Sonic doesn't like to be cooped up in a Cruise ship, so what does he do? He manipulates Tails, Chris, Chuck, and Amy by flirting with her in order to get off the ship, I am not even kidding you, mind you this is a jerk moment for Sonic, which some incarnations have been known to be an ass like say STC Sonic, but the thing is any other Sonic would NEVER manipulate his friends to get what he wants, let alone flirt with a 12 YEAR OLD GIRL. That's pretty bad no matter how you try to frame it, and people ship these two together mind you.

Throughout the show he's shown to be lazy and borderline apathetic, not having almost any close moments with his "friends" other then maybe Chris, speaking of which considering Chris' emotional and abandonment issues Sonic NEVER steps in to call out Chris' Parents on their actions, considering how absent minded and neglectful they are. Sonic had OVER A YEAR to call them out or help Chris get through his problems that are very clear to see, but does nothing until Chris ends up kidnapping him basically. If it were almost any other Sonic, don't you think he would have done something, anything?

Which goes on to my next point, he's very distant with his friends. He doesn't really do anything with them and only does something unless he's forced to, or when there's danger going on. In fact Sonic only acts when Eggman is causing crap or any of his friends are captured or in danger. He only acts right when there is danger afoot, unlike say doing something with his friends like actively hanging out with them, helping them collect Chaos Emeralds, and so forth.

He does none of that, most damaging of all his incredibly poor choice when first facing Dark Oak, rather then retreating to fight again with the Emeralds, he scatters them ACROSS THE UNIVERSE in order for him to not get the Emeralds. I can't even begin to tell you how much of a HORRIBLE IDEA that was, it's a short term solution for a long term problem, it also may have caused other worlds who were inhabited to be in danger due to having a Chaos Emerald on them, thus endangering the lives of Billions, Trillions even. And in term could have prevented the events that had Tails with no apparent choice to kill Cosmo, which you KNOW must have Emotionally and Psychologically Damaged him, and in Sonic giving him this news as Tails cries beneath him as he just stands there, not comforting him on his lost. HE JUST STANDS THERE, no hug or anything, just lets him cry without comfort or anything.

I can go on, but these key examples show that the Sonic of Sonic X is Not a True Hero, at best he's a kid who does good deeds for thrils, at worst he's a manipulative, lazy, and apathetic Hedgehog who is only a Hero in Name Only. That's why I say he's no hero, he lacks the will to act until lives are in danger and is unhealthy to not only his friends, but to himself as well. He's tied with being the worst Sonic in the whole Series in my humble viewing, and that's saying something.

Now I'm not saying that deep down he doesn't care about his friends or people in general, otherwise why would he help anyone if that's the case other then thrills? Which could also be the case, but he doesn't think about his actions, the consequences of them, and due to his distance can't express his own feelings, saving lives seems to be the only way he can express anything. He's got the Spirit, but his Mind and Heart isn't in the right place.

• Like 1

Good point.

As for Sonic's decision to scatter the emeralds throughout space...

"You had all 7 chaos emeralds, and you threw them away?"

"Exactly."

"Are you crazy!!! What are we going to do?"

"I guess we're gonna have to go find them again."

I guess emerald hunting is a pasttime hobby for the Sonic X Sonic.  To be honest, though, Sonic never met a threat he couldn't handle easily until dealing with Dark Oak at the beginning of Season 3.  This was the first time any opponent was able to stand on even toes with him despite possessing the chaos emeralds.  I would go with your description of Sonic and believe that while Sonic had the spirit to fight Dark Oak, once the going got tougher than he ever had to face, his mind lost it.  All that Sonic could think of was how to prevent Dark Oak from getting his hands on the emeralds, and scattering them throughout space seemed to be the best option at the time.  If Sonic had more of his hero qualities and was willing to fight harder for everyone, well, Season 3 might have ended with the first episode....but it just took too much effort and work for the lazy hedgehog!  Never one for plans, Sonic does the dumbest move in the franchise...

"Sonic, where were you when the brains were handed out?"

Good question.