I am. A combination of too many consoles, too many unlicensed video games, too many bad video games, the waning interest in console gaming from the public and the rise of the do-everything PC led to a crash in the industry that basically took Atari out of the running (because whatever shambling corpse going today is NOT Atari, I can tell ya that for free). It also created Activision, birthing one of the greatest video game evils of our time.

7 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

I am. A combination of too many consoles, too many unlicensed video games, too many bad video games, the waning interest in console gaming from the public and the rise of the do-everything PC led to a crash in the industry that basically took Atari out of the running (because whatever shambling corpse going today is NOT Atari, I can tell ya that for free). It also created Activision, birthing one of the greatest video game evils of our time.

Here is a great video on it:

5 minutes ago, TheRedStranger said:

Here is question - do you think history will ever dealt itself in this regard? Could DLC and digital distribution flood the market and repeat history?

A number of people already do think that way. This video by one of my favorite Youtubers Ahoy briefly discusses it near the end;

One of the more positive examples, for sure. Me? I'll happen again, one day. If there's one thing the game industry is best at, it's refusing to learn lessons it should've learned decades ago. It's how we've gotten games like Rise of Lyric and Medal of Honor: Warfighter. There will be another across sometime, and genres of games will die out. But this time it won't be from too many consoles, or shovelware, or even out-of-control publishing; it'll be from "video game" execs from Packaged Goods claiming we just don't want them anymore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...