Super Cinema: Comic Book & Super Hero Movies!

It took Hollywood way too long to realize the potential of the Extended Universes in film. It's basically the only thing that is keeping the place in the green after some bad years. So many media alternatives are coming out and Hollywood nowadays has an actual competition. I just wonder if they can keep all this up.

3 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Wow... we dont have an MCU thread....

Considering I made that comic book conspiracy topic before I feel like I dropped the ball on that one, my bad. XP

1 hour ago, TheRedStranger said:

It took Hollywood way too long to realize the potential of the Extended Universes in film. It's basically the only thing that is keeping the place in the green after some bad years. So many media alternatives are coming out and Hollywood nowadays has an actual competition. I just wonder if they can keep all this up.

No kidding, granted Universal and Hammer films had their Horror Movies such as Frankenstein and Dracula but those were mostly unconnected or very loosely canonical at best, though they mainly had the same actors all throughout for said major monsters most of the time.

That said Marvel aside I don't think Hollywood has any idea how to establish such a continuous series regarding anything, now that's not regarding other comic book adaptions in general though the DC Cinematic Universe doesn't have great traction to be stable continuity and puts that in doubt for me. Let alone the failure of Universal's own Dark Universe starting out with a flop. With everything going on either some company is gonna get it right or Hollywood would collapse before others go to the forefront with other media formats and be more successful, I'd say the latter is very likely. I do want other CUs to happen and thrive (like that rumored Sega CU all those months ago) but we'd have to wait an see what happens until then.

As for the MCU itself I've been rather satisfied with it's direction (some certain scenes and one garbage love interest in Spider-Man aside) though I am curious on what's gonna happen next, especially with rumors of Skrulls appearing and the possibility of Marvel getting back the Fantastic Four and X-Men from Fox. It could go anywhere at this point and has so far been decent enough to really good. My only concern is how would they be incorporated into the current existing MCU and what will happen to the now interesting Fox X-Men CU. Either way it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

• 11 months later...
On 11/12/2018 at 1:56 PM, Wulfsbane said:

Stan Lee has passed away

Turns out Stan was working on one final superhero before he passed. Someone called Dirtman (yeah, I know - sounds like an off color pun given the situation). 

https://news.sky.com/story/stan-lee-was-working-on-final-superhero-dirt-man-with-daughter-before-his-death-11554021

I thank Lee for his service for this country and then the service that followed for our culture. He gave us his blood, sweat, and then ink. It’s amazing to be a man who fights for his country; it’s outstanding to see that same man come from war to build up his country. That is the zenith of patriotism; not to merely break down obstacles but to build promise. He is a great example for modern veterans. Despite the horrors of war, you can turn your sword into a plowshare. 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feige-spider-man-franchise-exit-disney-sony-dispute-avengers-endgame-captain-america-winter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/

Originally reported by Deadline:

Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don’t believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise. Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn’t want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused. Two more movies were planned allegedly. Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works that are meant to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center. Holland is under contract with Marvel directly. Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won’t be the lead creative producer of those pictures

As per Variety:

The deal is still in negotiation even though Disney and Sony reached an Impass. Nothing is final as a deal could still be reached

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

Black Widow was delayed, Shang-Chi, “Falcon and the Winter Soldier,” “WandaVision,” and “Loki” are all on production hiatus due to the beervirus

^This is no surprise; All movie production took a big hit from the pandemic >.<

(yeah, I forgot "C" meant cinematic instead of comic :P)

• 4 weeks later...

Update MCU releases as reported by Esquire:

The New Mutants

Original Release: April 3, 2020
New Release: August 28, 2020

Black Widow

Original Release: May 1, 2020
New Release: November 6, 2020

Morbius

Original Release: July 31, 2020
New Release: March 29, 2021

Venom 2

Original Release: Oct. 2, 2020
New Release: June 25, 2021

Shang-Chi And the Legend of the Ten Rings

Original Release: Feb. 12, 2021
New Release: May 7, 2021

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Original Release: May 7, 2021
New Release: March 25, 2022

Thor: Love and Thunder

Release: November 5, 2021
New Release: February 11, 2022

Black Panther 2

Release: May 6, 2022

Thoughts?

Is the MCU actually musically a failure? Did you even your notice? What about the use 70’s classics in Galaxy, is it a gimmick, or the only shining spot in the MCU? What about Galaxy’s soundtrack beyond that - is anything really memorable? Is this a systematic problem in film. eating at identity of the gestalt of films? If so, name some things that could improve away from this nasty trend.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm quite concerned regarding Super Hero films. while this has gradually been happening for years, it's becoming much more about politics and quotas than telling good stories. It's gonna lead them nowhere but mediocrity, and I'll be honest, I'm not exactly looking forward what Marvel has planned (Secret Wars).

Another problem is that regarding the MCU is it's over abundance on using the Multiverse concept. While it's a trite trope used by Comics for years, this is just gonna confuse the general audience. It's very cheap, and so far it's use in the MCU has been very dull. Funny enough, kinda makes it a lot like actual comics that over rely on the concept. XP

DC barely even has a Movie Universe, so no bother to comment on it. XD

Unless we count the DC Animated Films anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Unless we count the DC Animated Films anyway. 

Funny U mentioned that...look at what was posted today by IGN's YT channel.

An unthinkable tragedy propels Superman into a dangerous new mindset, ultimately pitting Justice League members against each other in Injustice, an all-new DC Animated Movie. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, DC and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, the feature-length animated film is set for release on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack (USA $39.99 SRP; Canada $44.98 SRP), Blu-ray (US $29.98 SRP; Canada $39.99 SRP) and Digital on October 19, 2021.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 8:26 PM, MoKat said:

Funny U mentioned that...look at what was posted today by IGN's YT channel.

Anything with the Joker is typically pretty good. It will be a must watch for my guys. @Mike Arcade I would actually like for us to do a movie-night monthly actually. This is one I would like...just do me a favor a veto everything Logan even mentions. He has wretched taste. XD

• Haha 2

So, has anyone here been watching the most recent Disney+ MCU shows? If so, what have you thought of them?

My experience with them has been lukewarm to dull. Wanda Vision's ending ticked me off, while Loki was a slog. Falcon and Winter Soldier is overall the better show, until you really think about it overall in terms of plot and it’s message. It rings really hallow to me, "You've got to do better." Except that we're given no solution on what better is.

What If has just been a comedy, when it really should have been Marvel's Twilight Zone. Honestly, I don't see the MCU ever recovering from what the overall series tone is now, and I dread to see what they do to characters like She-Hulk. :/

Edited by Mike Arcade

I don't have Disney+, so nope.

45 minutes ago, Mike Arcade said:

What If has just been a comedy, when it really should have been Marvel's Twilight Zone.

Thanks. I was wondering what that was like. Kinda disappointing :/

46 minutes ago, Mike Arcade said:

I dread to see what they do to characters like She-Hulk.

She-Hulk used to be one of my favorite Marvel characters; should I be worried?

(I don't like what they've done with her lately in the comics, however her appearance in Immortal Hulk made sense.)

• 1 month later...

‘Eternals’ review: One of Marvel’s worst movies so far [NY Post]

The most important difference between the Eternals and X-Men, however, is that Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine and Halle Berry’s Storm are layered, fascinating character studies. Angelina Jolie’s Thena has the personality of a bar of soap and an accent that suggests her semester abroad in London was the best four months of her life.

All the characters are similarly bland. Richard Madden’s Ikaris is hot, can fly and has laser eyes. Gemma Chan’s Sersi is able to change inanimate objects into other inanimate objects, but God forbid she alter her facial expression.

🤣

• 1 month later...

'Spider-Man: No Way Home' becomes first pandemic-era film to break $1 billion at global box office [CNBC]

The co-production between Sony and Disney is now the first film to surpass this benchmark during the pandemic and has also claimed the title of highest-grossing movie of 2021.

No Way Home Destroys Another Narrative: China [Odin's Movie Blog ~17 min.]

Spider-Man: No Way Home has been breaking the pandemic narrative from the start...now it is breaking an even bigger narrative...the supposed "need" for China for massive box office gains

*applauds*

Wake up, Hollywood! You don't need to kiss the CCP's butts!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting Film Theory here:

Now that everyone has seen the trailer for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness that premiered after the credits of Spider-Man: No Way Home, we NEED to talk about it. There is a lot to take in - from other worldly monsters, mysterious teenagers, and the Scarlet Witch. Today we are going to figure out what exactly is going on in this movie and what EVERYONE has been getting wrong about the villain of this story. Let's dive in!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

No Way Home was pretty neat, but Dr. Strange 2 was…not great, putting it lightly.

Also saw Morbius, which was ehh.

I’m burnt out on this current era of Super Hero Live-Action films, with Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, and the new Thor coming out I’m just done with Marvel entirely. I can’t be bothered to care anymore.

3 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

No Way Home was pretty neat, but Dr. Strange 2 was…not great, putting it lightly.

Yeah, a lot of the Strange 2 reviews describe it as a wokefest that went off the rails; not gonna watch it :P

3 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

I’m burnt out on this current era of Super Hero Live-Action films, with Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, and the new Thor coming out I’m just done with Marvel entirely. I can’t be bothered to care anymore

I'm rather apprehensive about She-Hulk because it was one of my favorite Marvel titles; I still have the original run & a complete set of Sensational ^.^

If it borrows heavily from the Sensational She-Hulk run, it could be good but I doubt they'd base it off of that given how woke the recent stuff has been 💩

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm sharing this because it was interesting & amusing.

Doctor Reacts To Marvel Medical Scenes (MCU)

There are over 25 movies in the MCU, so today I decided to take a look at a few of the medical scenes that have popped up in Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Iron Man, and Doctor Strange. Disney spares no expense in making these Marvel movies, but how thorough are they with their medical accuracy? Sure, we can suspend our disbelief on plenty of things, such as Doctor Steve Strange entering his astral state to assist in surgery on himself, but there are other things I just can’t let slide, such as when to do CHEST COMPRESSIONS, CHEST COMPRESSIONS, CHEST COMPRESSIONS!

• 4 weeks later...

The trailer for Black Adam has kinda raised my hopes for the movie.

ALL SUPERHERO MOVIE TRAILERS 2022 | 4K ULTRA HD [TrailerSpot, ~27 min.]

00:00 Black Adam
02:32 Shazam 2 Fury of the Gods
05:00 Black Panther 2 Wakanda Forever
07:06 Spider Man Across the Spider Verse
09:34 Aquaman 2 the Lost Kingdom
12:04 The Flash
13:18 Samaritan
15:45 Thor 4 Love and Thunder
17:57 DC League of Super Pets
20:41 Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
22:57 Morbius
24:57 The Batman

• 3 months later...

So, this is coming out! Revealing the new major antagonist of the films for right now...yeah!

...sorry guys, I figured I'd post this up but I can't be excited for it. Not just because it's MCU and that's gone so far downhill it's become a punching bag, but it's Antman folks. Antman, whose probably gonna die at the end of this film to make way for his daughter stepping in as her own hero for some outdated corporate executive reason.

• 2 months later...