What Could Have Been Different: The Dreamcast Era

Mike Arcade

Welcome to the another edition of WCHBD, today we'll ask how our favorite ivory box the Dreamcast could have gone along with the Sonic Series as a whole. With that said let's kick things off with a rather particular one I've wondered in my life.

What if the Dreamcast used DVDs for storing their games instead of their own disk format?

• 3 months later...

Okay perhaps that question was a bit too technical I suppose, well I'm back here with a VERY interesting question. This one is a small detail, a very small change that could change the outcome of the entire series all throughout had things ended for a certain robot differently. You see one of scenes in the game that shows up in the demo of Sonic Adventure 1's title screen is Sonic about to finish Gamma off with Amy stopping him before he could do so. Now of course Sonic being the good guy that he is doesn't destroy Gamma on Amy's request...HOWEVER, what if Sonic ignored Amy and pushed her aside to finish the E-Series Robot off...

What if Sonic destroyed Gamma in Sonic Adventure 1?

I've chosen this because it's almost unthinkable really to imagine Gamma not going to destroy his other fellow E-Series robots, but what if he couldn't because he already got trashed because of Sonic? I hope you guys can answer this one as it leaves a lot to be imagined and how it effects the series as a whole from then on.

1 hour ago, Mike Arcade said:

What if Sonic destroyed Gamma in Sonic Adventure 1?

Honestly, it all depends on when in the story it was done. If done at the earliest, it would very well effect the ending of the game. I could see them being used to take advantage mostly after the game, going after Sonic when he and Station Square would be their weakest. 

Beyond this its hard to tell, because the E-series was not really portrayed with narrative wherewithal. All but the dumbest of their number, float at the edge of the narrative with little actual interaction with the rest of the plot. They are a stove-piped phenomena in their own universe, intriguing obstacles for Gamma to shoot and very little more beyond the narrow confines of his line of gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 7:45 AM, TheRedStranger said:

Honestly, it all depends on when in the story it was done. If done at the earliest, it would very well effect the ending of the game. I could see them being used to take advantage mostly after the game, going after Sonic when he and Station Square would be their weakest. 

Beyond this its hard to tell, because the E-series was not really portrayed with narrative wherewithal. All but the dumbest of their number, float at the edge of the narrative with little actual interaction with the rest of the plot. They are a stove-piped phenomena in their own universe, intriguing obstacles for Gamma to shoot and very little more beyond the narrow confines of his line of gameplay.

Regarding the E-Series I'd say they were the most underutilized robots Eggman has ever made, I mean we had some Mass Production types of Gamma in SA2 with the E-1000s but other than E-123 Omega and the other last E-Series robots under the mass production line as you fight them in the Egg Fleet they're never used again, being dropped in favor of the Egg Pawns. Granted there re some odd ones here and there like those of the Riders Games but really it's just a big missed opportunity as we could have had a recurring series of bosses throughout the games, being apart of the Dreaded E-Series Robots you'd fight throughout the series.

In any case from a game perspective I'd imagine it could have gone as you have said, however I'm also thinking how things could have gone from a story perspective throughout the series. I mean yes Gamma was a badnik but to Amy he was also a friend (Amy's not one for logic at this time if you haven't noticed) so I'd say she'd be saddened that not only Gamma was destroyed but Sonic would flat out ignore who plea. Yes there is a Flicky inside the robot but still, I'd say that could have drastically changed the interaction between Sonic and Amy, as in Amy might still have a crush on Sonic but rather is not so keen on him as in Heroes asking him to marry her. So basically saving a lot of annoyance that Amy became throughout the years by avoiding that completely. You know, giving her an actual character being more than a girl with a crush.

I mean I'd imagine that the rest of the E-Series from SA1 could have been great boss fights, if not the first game then SA2 that the Heroes could fight. Specifically I'd like to see how Beta mkII would put up against Sonic as that robot always gave me a Metal or Mecha Sonic sort of feel in being able to hold his own better than others (but of course still be destroyed as it is Sonic we're talking about). We'll never know exactly how things could have gone but overall I think that the E-Series would have actually stuck around a lot more with others in the line (E-106 and so forth) becoming recurring bosses in the games for quite awhile. Granted the flaw in logic is that they don't seem to have the intelligence like Gamma and Omega has but since Beta DID have one spoken line is SA1 who really can say? Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part, honestly the Egg Pawns while okay are pretty bland really compared to say Badniks, Eggrobos, or E-Series Robots.

Alright so I got a new question right here and this one'll really flex the mind. We got introduced to Tikal in SA1 who due to being a spirit never really appears again in the series, despite that she was quite an interesting character with a connection to the Master Emerald. You could say that she was a Guardian of sorts to it before Knuckles came about, now while there are a lot of questions regarding how Knuckles came about to live on Angel Island I must wonder this...

What if Tikal was the Guardian of the Master Emerald and Knuckles the spirit sealed inside the Emerald with Chaos?

For clarification, both characters have the same personalities, but have the other's role in the story and series. How do you think that would go?

Eh, not too well I'm afraid other than giving Tikal more public appearances.  Knuckles is shown to be trained and built for guarding the Master Emerald and the other secrets of Angel Island with strength that rivals Sonic's speed.  What does Tikal have?  Um....a floating light orb and visions?  If you were to give Tikal some abilities that were related to guarding and protecting a sacred powerful relic, then it may work but I still have my doubts on that one.  Tikal works best as a mysterious figure trapped within the Master Emerald.  I also don't see how she and Knuckles have similar personalities.  Tikal appears to be more modest and humble but excited over danger (not exactly a good guardian trait) while Knuckles is firm and headstrong with a willingness to fight off any danger to the Master Emerald.