Jump to content

IDW Sonic Issues & Solicits Dicussion Thread


Recommended Posts

This here is the topic to discuss IDW Sonic issues and Solicits when they come available. Unless it's a special issue (crossovers, milestone issues, and other special issues) all discussion will be done here:

 

Without further ado: We have the Covers of #1 & #2 as well as the solicit for #2.

Cover #1 & Variant. Cover #2 & Variant.

Issue #1 Solicit:  Sonic the Hedgehog #1—Cover A: Tyson Hesse—GEM OF THE MONTH Ian Flynn (w) • Tracy Yardley (a) • Tyson Hesse (c)
SONIC’S RACING INTO A NEW ADVENTURE! After defeating the evil Dr. Eggman’s latest plot, Sonic is racing around the world to shut down the robotic Badnik forces that are still attacking villages. But it’s a big job for one hedgehog—even Sonic! Fortunately, he’ll have some help from his best friend: Tails!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Sonic the Hedgehog #1—Cover B: Tracy Yardley—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Tracy Yardley (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Issue #2 Solicit: Sonic the Hedgehog #2′—Cover A: Tyson Hesse Ian Flynn (w) • Adam Bryce Thomas (a+c2) • Tyson Hesse (c1)

Sonic’s new adventure continues, and when he comes across another town in need of saving, his old pal Amy arrives just in time to join the fight! The banter is fun, and the stakes are high, but things get really serious when Amy presents Sonic with a big request: rejoin the Resistance!

Expected in-store date: 4/11/18

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Wulfsbane pinned and featured this topic

Sonic the Hedgehog #3—Cover A: Tyson Hesse—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Jen Hernandez (a) • Tyson Hesse (c)
Sonic and Knuckles team up, and it’s just like old times—until two new villains show up. With a group of villagers under attack, will even the combined forces of these two heroes be enough to take down Rough and Tumble???
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Sonic the Hedgehog #3—Cover B: Jen Hernandez—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Jen Hernandez (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Sonic the Hedgehog #4—Cover A: Tyson Hesse—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Evan Stanley (a) • Tyson Hesse (c)
Sonic comes across a town under attack from the biggest Badnik force he’s ever seen. Luckily, help is on the way from his old friend Blaze, as well as a new hero! Get ready for the debut of Tangle!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Sonic the Hedgehog #4—Cover B: Evan Stanley—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Evan Stanley (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

DikzmlGUEAAMMY3.jpg

Man this topic has been out for far too long, I mean the comic HAS been out for the past several of months now. Does anyone have any thoughts on the issues currently out so far?

Also as revealed recently, here's the new character coming to the 8th issue of IDW Sonic. However I did notice something regarding her, unlike the previous new characters she has a LOT of design templates based off of Forces, gsuch as the gloves, boots, being a wolf, as well as the side mask albeit everything has been altered to a degree. You don't suppose they'll be using the template of Forces' Character Creator as the basic outline of future characters right? I sincerely hope not, but we'll have to just wait and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/07/comic-preview-idw-sonic-the-hedgehog-7/

Spoilers for the first few issues of the comic of course, because we finally get to see who the main villain behind the badnik attacks really is. I will admit this, I was completely wrong on who I thought it would be, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Well I feel like an idiot for not seeing this coming. Guess we'll have to see what other surprises it has in the full issue and future issues then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/07/comic-preview-idw-sonic-the-hedgehog-7/

Spoilers for the first few issues of the comic of course, because we finally get to see who the main villain behind the badnik attacks really is. I will admit this, I was completely wrong on who I thought it would be, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Well I feel like an idiot for not seeing this coming. Guess we'll have to see what other surprises it has in the full issue and future issues then.

Oh great While eggman is away, metal sonic will play. And where’s orbot and cubot in all this I wonder?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Akessel92 said:

Oh great While eggman is away, metal sonic will play. And where’s orbot and cubot in all this I wonder?

Umm, they're with Metal, they've been with him thinking he's Eggman I guess. I mean they're there so hey there ya go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I've been hearing that there have been some issues within the IDW comics. Supposedly someone is trying to insert their politics into it and everyone's falling out and Ian Flynn is apparantly evil now? Can anyone confirm any of this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

I've been hearing that there have been some issues within the IDW comics. Supposedly someone is trying to insert their politics into it and everyone's falling out and Ian Flynn is apparantly evil now? Can anyone confirm any of this?

If it's from Save Archie Sonic, then it's not true at all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That I'm aware of. If I may say so, they're a little bit...delusional.

No, what I'm referring to is rumours that someone in IDW is trying to add politics into the comic and are getting into fueds on Twitter about it with people. Don't know who, though some say it's Flynn behind it. Apparantly he's had a history of doing this...supposedly. It's probably made up, for all I know.

Actually on reflection, it's probably hogwash. Probably just bitter Archie fans sad that Sally is basically gone now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WarTraveller said:

That I'm aware of. If I may say so, they're a little bit...delusional.

No, what I'm referring to is rumours that someone in IDW is trying to add politics into the comic and are getting into fueds on Twitter about it with people. Don't know who, though some say it's Flynn behind it. Apparantly he's had a history of doing this...supposedly. It's probably made up, for all I know.

Actually on reflection, it's probably hogwash. Probably just bitter Archie fans sad that Sally is basically gone now.

I can't stress enough that we keep the facts straight regardless of how we may or may not like certain works within the series as a whole.  As far as I know the comic is doing well, and that's about it.

So, to keep things back on track anyone go some thoughts regarding Issue #9? I'll say this, Super Neo Metal Sonic is so dumb, it's kinda cool but really dumb at the same time. I mean I'm not against it but still :p

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2018 at 9:09 AM, Mike Arcade said:

So, to keep things back on track anyone go some thoughts regarding Issue #9? I'll say this, Super Neo Metal Sonic is so dumb, it's kinda cool but really dumb at the same time. I mean I'm not against it but still ?

I agree with the consensus that it's better than Metal Overlord.

If Metal Sonic thinks he's the real Sonic, then a super form isn't out of the question. It also makes M.O.'s design even more bizarre

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Wulfsbane said:

I agree with the consensus that it's better than Metal Overlord.

If Metal Sonic thinks he's the real Sonic, then a super form isn't out of the question. It also makes M.O.'s design even more bizarre

Then again from what I gathered from metal overlord’s design was that neo metal copied the fighting and physical data along with absorbing the chaos emeralds from all the cast of the game of sonic heroes. Thus, he’s an amalgam of all the characters 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Akessel92 said:

Then again from what I gathered from metal overlord’s design was that neo metal copied the fighting and physical data along with absorbing the chaos emeralds from all the cast of the game of sonic heroes. Thus, he’s an amalgam of all the characters

Yet ironically has no character, just a couple of shiny macguffins and ridiculous powers to fill up a hollow character arc.  Metal Sonic is the biggest waste in all the franchise. He could have been an somewhat interesting concept for a few games and comics  -  but he’s both fetal in his development yet tired and old in his over use. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 2:54 PM, TheRedStranger said:

Yet ironically has no character, just a couple of shiny macguffins and ridiculous powers to fill up a hollow character arc.  Metal Sonic is the biggest waste in all the franchise. He could have been an somewhat interesting concept for a few games and comics  -  but he’s both fetal in his development yet tired and old in his over use. 

I mean he's not even Sally Acorn! How dare he, the philistine! XD

See, this is kind of why I didn't want the IDW comics to just be the games but not. Why I would rather it had gone in its own direction from the very start. The connection to the games drag the comic down, rather than enhance it. Ironically, Sonic is probably one of the few franchises where not sticking to the source material makes for a better product. The issue is that comics rely on good stories, and Sonic games don't have stories anymore, moreso a particuarly agravating string of handwaves until the minimum runtime is reached. The characters are basic if not outright cardboard-flat, the stories are pointless bordering on maddening at times, and any potential it may have is quashed by paranoia, a need for control and Values Dissonence, as is the case with Japanese-published games.

In other words, the story to the games are rubbish, and cannot translate into mediums where storytelling and characters take centre stage. Metal Sonic has become a go-to textbook-type character, like Shadow, Amy and Green Hill Zone. He's only really there because he has to be, because people (well, kids) recognse him. But because he and Shadow are just fanservice, just window dressing to wave in front of the audiance for cheap praise, they're given no time to develop and they feel less like characters and more like some suit's plaything. A collection of polygons and textures used pragmatically to bump up the Metacritic scores a few points. It's why I was so angry when they brought back Chaos for Forces, and did nothing with him. He might as well have not even been there. And, if you want to be pedantic, he wasn't.

That's not to say the writing in IDW!Sonic is the worst, I actually think it's not that bad considering the circumstances. They even have good characters in Whisper and aspects of Tangle. And I do appreciate Metal taking centre stage, finally getting a proper super form and actually feeling in-character (moreso than Boom Shadow, at least). But ultimately the writing can't be "good"; not with the wretched source material it's stuck with, buried further in mandates. Mandates that they said wouldn't be there and that SEGA would take things "step-by-step". Yep, saw straight through that little lie. Because of this, of ALL this, IDW!Sonic just feels...empty. Uninspired. It's the same old stuff any Sonic story in any of the games would follow, just written slightly better. I can't even bring myself to be angry about it, as I saw all this coming the moment they made it clear it was game-inspired. There's nothing to the game stories, so there's just nothing to this. Why do people want the Freedom Fighters to return, to live in this...creative wasteland?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just say that I actually liked Metal Overlord, okay it was bizarre sure when Heroes came out and he turned into it, but to be fair he had the "Life Data" (Be that DNA or something I don't know) of all the characters including Shadow and Chaos. I mean of course he was gonna turn into some sort of Chimera-like monstrosity, Shadow is part Alien (which was revealed later on) and Chaos is...whatever the heck the Chao are suppose to be. It was weird sure, but in it's own way it made some sort of sense I guess. At least I can say it was actually interesting and unique, because honestly if Metal had a Super Form in Heroes I think it would have later on been regarded as boring. If anything it sounds too much like something from Dragon Ball.

In fact I've seen a few Neo Metal Sonic sprites back in the day, all of them had sprite shading for an optional Super Form. Not once in my time with web comics did I actually see it happen to my knowledge, because it would have been way too obvious. The writing of the comic isn't terrible...more like bland would be the right word. Because really when you have an official comic book use a concept not even fan comics from over ten years ago wouldn't do, I mean what else can you really say?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Because really when you have an official comic book use a concept not even fan comics from over ten years ago wouldn't do, I mean what else can you really say? 

You say that perhaps tying it so close the games was a bad idea after all. I want IDW to be good, but it fails to be more than...passable. At most.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 10 months later...

Well I have really neglected this thread. But anyway... here’s a summary and recap of the post neo-Metal sonic arc to the next one

after Neo-metal Sonic gets defeated, he turns back into metal sonic, gets fixed by tails in hopes that he could be reformed with Eggman reformed to Mister Tinker because of not having his memories. However, metal sonic goes back to his age old programming of being eggman’s robot and to defeat sonic and fly’s off and ends up back in one of Eggman’s old bases where new comic book antagonist, Dr. Starline is trying to get the old doctor back through brain washing. However, the big bad doc is back right after seeing Metal Sonic’s state and remembers everything from his past. He recruits rough and tumble to terrorize the villages to distract sonic to get his next plan into fruition. That plan being the metal virus. The metal virus is able to turn organic material to metal and organic life forms into metal zombies. This virus can spread either by gray metal goop that Eggman launches in an air battle station on cities with massive population or those infected and zombified through touch. So far in the recent stories cream’s chao cheese and chocola, rough and tumble, charmy, and Shadow are completely infected and/or zombified. Sonic is infected but is temporarily able to keep the infection from turning him completely. Also, at first eggman had control of the zombies but now they’re out of his control but are still for the most part following his plan. Starline however, is skeptical and is considering on bringing the zeti in this plan as a way to control the zombies because of their ability to control Eggman’s robots during the events of Lost hex adventure. As that’s going on Sonic and company are trying to save those they can and search for a cure.  

 

also, because of whisper the wolf and tangle the lemur’s popularity they currently have their own miniseries of comic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

From the issues of tangle the lemur and whisper the wolf miniseries 

throughout the series, whisper along with tangle end up finding a former member of Whisper’s group, the diamond cutters, a group of fighters that had been instrumental in fighting Eggman in the early days of sonic being absent. This former member, a 

shapeshifter octopus mobian known as Mimic, betrayed, sold them out to Doctor Eggman during the early events of Sonic Forces had them killed. As to what that deal mimic made with the overweight evil mad scientist entailed is unknown. However, mimic has been on the hunt for whisper for some time. Only recently has he resurfaced to flush her out as he disguised himself as Sonic and other people to draw her out and finish the job. 

Also, this story shows that whisper was once more outspoken and open to friends. However, Mimic’s betrayal had greatly affected her greatly. She became more with withdrawn, quiet, less trusting of others and less willing to befriend others to prevent such a betrayal and loss of her friends (shown in this shot) again.

However, due to Tangle’s stubbornness and care for Whisper. She’s on Whisper’s side on taking Mimic down once and for all.

 

latest?cb=20191023170057 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey guys, I really wanted to get into comic books more rather than just watch cartoons and movies. Is the new Sonic comic is worth a look? @Akessel92 Red told me you are a big Archie fan, which so far would you recommend in comparison? What are the best ones to read?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IronCheeze said:

Hey guys, I really wanted to get into comic books more rather than just watch cartoons and movies. Is the new Sonic comic is worth a look? @Akessel92 Red told me you are a big Archie fan, which so far would you recommend in comparison? What are the best ones to read?

Personally I would recommend pre-SGW content along with the early Sonic universe issues. I need to look into what issues again as it has been awhile. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Akessel92 said:

Personally I would recommend pre-SGW content along with the early Sonic universe issues. I need to look into what issues again as it has been awhile. 

Thanks. I will read the Archie Sonic Comics first then.😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...