What Could Have Been Different: Underground

Mike Arcade

Once more we are hear to for another entry in WCHBD, we ask a question proposing a What If scenario then answer it as best and in the most detailed way possible. Sonic Underground is quite an odd series with Sonic having siblings and a mother, after all we all know Sonic can't have parents right? XP

All joking aside, it's story and lore raise a lot of questions, and possibilities that should be explored, so that goes with the first question here.

What if Aleena stayed with her Children?

my assumption is that they would probably be captured pretty quick, as trying to protect one child while on the run is already a death sentence, (I maintain that in satam there is probably a reason why tails has no mother/family aside from his adoptive one amongst the freedom fighters, so I apply that logic here) multiplying it by 3 is beyond suicidal and more hectic then full 20 mode in fnaf:sl.

I haven't watched the series, but I will have to side with F07E on this one.  If both parents were involved, then there is a better chance for them all to survive together, but just a single mother with three children on the run?  That's pushing it.  It's plausible, but not a high success rate without help or God's intervention.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2016 at 7:47 PM, TheRedAuthar said:

I kinda like the concept that Aleena could have raised them herself to fight for the Kingdom.  

But then she'd have to die or get roboticized so the triplets could be the main focus/driving force. 

I as well. You could also throw her into a place like the Void after years of not heading the Soothsayer's warning.  She ends up being for her children occasionally  "there in spirit" like Obi-Wan is to Luke in Episode V and VI as the children try to breech through the astral divides between them and their mother. This would give them a driving conflict, a need to have her back. All the while it would give her an interesting way to continue to help the group and be distinct from Uncle Chuck's plight of Roboticization. 

• 6 months later...

That's a very good question, alright to do this we'll have to consider the siblings adopted parents, first we got Sonic's Adopted Parents (who have no names, we checked) and his adopted Uncle Chuck, then there's Lady Windermere who adopted Sonia, and then there's Ferrell who kindly adopted (Stole) Manic from his intended adopted parents. So with this in mind who would they all be together if they were all adopted at once by one of these parents (or thief in Ferrell's case)?

If they were all adopted by Lady Windermere, Sonia might grow up the same as she did in Underground as snooty as she is in the main show, however I feel that it would be a bit loosened up due to having brothers in her life, meaning she could take a joke a lot better and be more willing to get down in the dirt (but still not like it). Sonic despite having a natural rebellious streak would grow up not spoiled but rather a more honorable character with a possibly stronger dedication to fighting and overthrowing Robotnik. I'd imagine he'd be the most adamant in restoring his mother's kingdom though would be conflicted and worried about the future as a possible heir maybe.  Like he'd still joke and would jape with some more manners, but wouldn't possibly feel comfortable in being a heir should the succeed. For those who watch or read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, think similar to Jonathan Joestar I'd say.

Manic on the other hand I'd say would be much more wild and not take too well with Windermere, he'd always try to sneak out I'd say and hang out with more common people. I'm not saying he'd be a thief, he wouldn't but he'd be far more rebellious almost to the point of being close to Sega Sonic or Archie Sonic in attitude and personality even. With their stronger bond and a more focused valor I'd say they'd be a great team in foiling Robotnik.

---

Now for The Triplets raised by Ferrell, for one they'd all be a band of thieves meaning while Manic would be similar to how he was originally due to him having his siblings along for one I'd say Ferrell would focus on Sonic due to his speed (they wouldn't know what hit them) so Manic could be jealous of Sonic and/or Sonia depending on how good they are at what they do, He'd be much more tech savvy I'd say and come up with plans and tech similar to say Rotor or Sega Tails to compensate (He did have more tech leanings in the series) while Sonia I'd say would either be the most reluctant thief among them or be some sort of distraction/demolition or weapons expert, providing cover fire and a getaway car. Sonic would be the point man, the muscle with the skill and flexibility to steal anything and quick enough to get away with it without being noticed. I'd say he'd have a moral code only stealing from those who have enough to live without it or who deserve it, think like Robin Hood or Lupin the 3rd.

You could also look at a Sonic Underground of Thieves would be similar to say Sly Cooper and his team from that series. I'd say they would be the most reluctant to find their Mom and have some serious abandonment issues, with or without trying to find their mom I'd say they would come through in the end and fight Robotnik even if they didn't want to find Aleena. They would be the most cynical with The Oracle and Prophecy though, which would make for some great moments in a story.

---

Lastly what if they were raised by Sonic's Adopted Parents then Uncle Chuck? For one all 3 would have to endure losing adopted parents and not just Sonic, which would be traumatizing for all of them. Then they would be raised by Uncle Chuck until he gets roboticized too, with that in mind they'd all be dedicated to stopping Robotnik and I'd say all 3 would be curious on what's up with this Mother they never knew about as they lost 2 families already.

Sonic would be similar to how he is on the show but would of course be perfectly fine working with them, if not it's only because he doesn't want to lose them even more so then in the Original Underground. He'd be the most balanced and cool headed of the trio, think almost like his AoSTH incarnation even. Manic would want revenge against Robotnik for all the families they have lost, he'd be VERY hot-headed and willing to get into a fist fight, he'd have one heck of a temper and might do somethings that his siblings wouldn't agree on, not necessarily stealing but would get mixed up with some rather unsavory allies and could even turn heel for awhile. Sonia I'd say might end up a lot more timid then her other counterparts, but does the best she can, maybe she'd be almost like Sally or Tekno from STC and be more of a computer wiz, Oracle from Batman also comes to mind really. She'd be able to fight but rather would avoid that, with two brothers who might constantly fight she'd be the one who'd keep the balance between them all. Heck I think she'd be a great negotiator and be quite charismatic, making allies easier (think maybe Frisk from Undertale).

They'd be a great team I think overall, one that would be similar to Freedom Fighters teams from SatAM or STC.

---

I mean that's how I think they would have gone down in the show if they had all the same adopted parents, can't really point out which of these scenarios would be my favorite either, does anyone else got a second opinion?