The Future of Sonic Boom

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/06/sonic-booms-original-creative-team-no-longer-working-on-the-show/

For those of you who are fans of Sonic Boom it sadly does not look too good for the series, the team who worked on it are no longer doing so and even Aaron Webber could not comment on the series. With that said guys do you think they'll be another season or will this be the End of Sonic Boom?

Let us know your thoughts on this news as we'll bring you updates.

• 6 months later...

Honestly, other than maybe using some of the characters in other Sonic based works (like Sticks for example), I highly doubt many would if at all.

That's not me being negative, but rather because there's no real ongoing plot or story arc that holds the series together at all. There's no real mysteries or sense of wonder, it's literally just Sonic and Friends during their off time. I mean that concept alone for maybe a few episodes would be fine, but if that's the basis for your whole show than is it really any better than fan works that have been doing so since the early 2000s?

Considering the history of Sonic Boom and it's past as Sonic Synergy, this series was the case of a spin-off game that was turned into a show simply because they got a studio to actually make a CGI Cartoon Show for them. So they took Synergy and over bloated it into something it wasn't originally meant to. No matter how hard you try, you can't fit the square block into the round peg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Arcade said:

... there's no real ongoing plot or story arc that holds the series together at all. There's no real mysteries or sense of wonder, it's literally just Sonic and Friends during their off time. I mean that concept alone for maybe a few episodes would be fine, but if that's the basis for your whole show than is it really any better than fan works that have been doing so since the early 2000s?

I think you just put your finger on what really bothered me about the series, Mike.

Given the tendency for fans to explore " what could have been ", I wouldn't rule that out, Red.

• Like 1

Boom was a victim of restructuring. Synergy, the original pitch and the original version of RoL were clearly full adventure, on the same lines as Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank. Just full, tennis balls to the wall adventure with some slightly darker tones. But when the show was pitched as a lighter comedy where the main joke is that every character is one, the rest of the sub-franchise was muddled and messed with to support this new direction (doubtless spurred by RoL's troubled development).

So what we're left with is a dumb show about dudebros draped over the skeleton of something more serious. It was restricted by SEGA to be the thing they wanted it to be (another way to sell toys) rather than what it truly was. As much as I hate Boom for tainting the franchise and making Classic all the more enticing, I feel sad it never got the chance to truly express itself in the way RoL clearly was set up to. 

• Like 3

On 12/22/2018 at 3:21 AM, TheRedStranger said:

I wonder if any fans will keep it going in some form or fashion. After all, what could have been is something that at least a good handful of people would take time to investigate in game hacks, fan-fics, ect.  

So... kinda like us?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 3:46 AM, TheRedStranger said:

Yes. And I guess it’s our duty to reach out to those people.

I guess. At this point you have to make your own fun in the franchise to really get anywhere. You have to create your own entertainment.

So...what do we do? What plans shall we form? How shall we save the Bandaged Blue Blur?

• 1 year later...

As you all probably know, Boom has gone bust. But, much like Satam has, there is a possibility for this iteration of Sonic to live beyond its fans. If you guys see any fan works of Boom, please post them on this thread. Regardless of anyone’s opinions on Boom, some liked it. Do those fans a favor and keep them informed on any fan successors here. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Haven't seen anything regarding a fan continuation as of late. At least not yet.

Kinda hard to do so regarding this series as it was very episodic. Yet I am curious to see what some fan out there might make.

https://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/character/sticks.html

This however is the series' legacy and provided the biggest impact of Sonic. Sticks actually has a profile on Sega of Japan's Official Website! While she's only appeared in outside of the Boom Series in a Mario & Sonic Olympics crossover and an anniversary comic on this website, it remains to be seen if or when Sticks will appear again.

Still, that's one heck of an honor, even older characters from other Sonic cartoons and comics have yet to make an appearance on there.

• Like 1