What Would You Do Differently? Underground Edition

The next edition of WWYDD involves the show that everyone either writes off or can't make up their mind on what to think about it, Sonic Underground.

Simply put, all you gotta do is retool an idea from the show or add something to it, then say how you would do it differently, then we repeat the process over and over again, it's fun for the whole hedgehog family! With that said let's start it off with the most puzzling thing in the show's premise.

How would you handle The Oracle's Prophecy and The Oracle himself?

3 hours ago, ToaArcan said:

Neither would exist. Prophecy plots aren't all that good.

That's a very broad statement Arcan. Right now you statement is kinda naked in public. XP Can you share your reasoning behind this?

Actually many plots with prophecies play off real well in literature, especially the ones that end ironically or give one a sense of dread and existential horror that melts down our more brittle modernist conceptions of the universe. Think of works like H.P Lovecraft's Cuthulu, Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, Shakespar'a Julius Ceaser. Even scifi works like Minority Report make a great spin on world with precognition and 4th/5th dimensional patterns  (what some call fate, destiny, or providence) and how it would impact us. All of these stories have plots of predicted omen and promise, are massively successful, and are subtextually rich in meaning and truly thought-provoking. 

If these writers can make prophecy as an element work, then the question stands strong. How can you make it work?

On June 11, 2016 at 0:51 PM, ToaArcan said:

I meant more in a "Chosen One" sense. Here's a kid/some kids who are destined to fix the world's problems, when it's generally better if they decide to fight for the world on their own.

Okay. Let's break this trope down and build back up. First would be to give a reason more than "fate" as to why they are "chosen." It should also not be taken as an elitist summoning. I would somehow make ironic like when Saul was chosen to be an apostle in the Bible. 

The thing is, it's more than one trope, it's a very played-out and rather tired plot by now, leading up to one of two options:

Jumped at the Call: The hero jumps up and charges off to fight, normally seeming rather unrealistic unless their life is already garbage.

Refusal of the Call/The Call knows where you live: The hero refuses because it's too much and then something horrible happens to their family so they want revenge.

• Like 1

Didn't the 3 siblings pretty much jump to the call in the show already? I mean the one character's life that wasn't garbage was Sonia but immediately became garbage when she met her brothers, then got her adopted mother Roboticized.

It would be more realistic for them to refuse the call though, then see their adopted parents get captured for Sonia and Manic, thus join up with Sonic. Sonic already experienced that in the show twice over, so he could be there for them and help bring them all together, or at least have the first step to do so.

On June 17, 2016 at 3:41 AM, Mike Arcade said:

Didn't the 3 siblings pretty much jump to the call in the show already? I mean the one character's life that wasn't garbage was Sonia but immediately became garbage when she met her brothers, then got her adopted mother Roboticized.

It would be more realistic for them to refuse the call though, then see their adopted parents get captured for Sonia and Manic, thus join up with Sonic. Sonic already experienced that in the show twice over, so he could be there for them and help bring them all together, or at least have the first step to do so.

Also have them deal with this "calling" in different ways and come to accept at differing times in light of their worldviews and lives.  Make it rather dark too, have them consider the fatalistic implications of this ominous "Call."

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

They made a vow, they're mother will never be found. XP
Back for more questions and pondering I ask this neat twist.

If you had to include Music Videos or Lyrical Music in Sonic Underground, how would you tie them into the series?

The music is rather jarring in terms of tone whenever they have a Music Video so I figured is it possible to somehow tie the music into the episodes? I mean they did that sometimes but do you think they did that well?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2016 at 0:03 AM, Mike Arcade said:

Like with ToaArcan, I'd do away with both entirely. Let's talk about the huge plotholes concerning both of these

#1: We know Robotnik's Empire will one day fall according to the Oracle and how, so why are we bother watching our heroes adventure to rise up and defeat him? It'd be like if Yoda told Luke in Episode 5 Darth Vader and Palpatine would be defeated and how it would happen in Episode 6. There would be no suspense. No point to watching it.

#2: This is by far the most glaring of them all. The Oracle can freakin FREEZE ROBOTNIK IN PLACE! No seriously, look up the wiki on him. He can literally do that. Not only that. He can teleport, and if I recalled correctly. He cannot be killed either.

So my biggest question is. WHY THE HECK DOESN'T HE JUST TAKE ROBOTNIK OUT HIMSELF!? Sorry to use caps there, but why all this BS about our heroes one day with their mother saving the planet? The Oracle doesn't need them. He clearly could turn make Robotnik disappear with a snap of his finger if the wanted to.

Ugh, no wonder I never liked either of these concepts. They have more plotholes to it than Satam's combined.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2016 at 1:03 AM, Mike Arcade said:

The next edition of WWYDD involves the show that everyone either writes off or can't make up their mind on what to think about it, Sonic Underground.

Simply put, all you gotta do is retool an idea from the show or add something to it, then say how you would do it differently, then we repeat the process over and over again, it's fun for the whole hedgehog family! With that said let's start it off with the most puzzling thing in the show's premise.

I'D MAKE HIM AN ELDER SCROLL!!!

joking aside I most likely would just make them able to see only just past the veil of the unknown that rests as echoes, generalities, and the possible outcomes of certain tasks. nothing solid and concrete as time is always in motion and the universe is always in a constant state of flux. yes they can see robotnik will fall, but not when and the exact way in which he does, only that by following the prophecy it increases the liklihood that it will happen.

• 6 months later...