MoKat's Scribbles

9 minutes ago, MoKat said:

Glad you guys had so much fun with that :)

Don't have anything new yet, so I'll share two more pics from around that time...

(I don't think I ever posted "Black Iron Bunnie" anywhere before now)

Smobotnik-c.gif

BlackIronBunnie-c.gif

Robotnik look so ridiculous.  

8 hours ago, Akessel92 said:

Its majestic! Look at those glorious Daisy Nipples on his Potbelly Breastplate! Eat your heart out Joel Schumacuer! xD

Kat, you know, if you like fantasy like Souls - we are doing a D&D 5E style RP that takes place in Satam/EoT’s far past. Perhaps you would like to join up?

On 3/17/2018 at 4:16 PM, Akessel92 said:

Yeah, he does :D:D

On 3/18/2018 at 12:38 AM, TheRedStranger said:

Its majestic! Look at those glorious Daisy Nipples on his Potbelly Breastplate! Eat your heart out Joel Schumacuer! xD

Kat, you know, if you like fantasy like Souls - we are doing a D&D 5E style RP that takes place in Satam/EoT’s far past. Perhaps you would like to join up?

I'm on rather irregularly, so I hate to commit to anything long term, especially given that Real Life has a habit of throwing curveballs at me. For example, I have an interview at the local TSA office Monday. If I get the TSO job, it will be split-shift (not so bad, but the first shift is from 4-6 am o.O;) Even if I did have time, I dunno which character to use for that. Kat Mokat is usually for comedic RP's. Kalindra would be more suitable, but every RPG I've used her in has stalled. A brand new character perhaps (?)

And speaking of Kalindra...

kal-mug1.gif.51a621b7d66789bb4070b1156e402ad7.gif

... I really need to draw a new pic of her :P

Meh, that interview didn't go as well as I thought it did.

Moving on to a more amusing topic...

There's a restaurant in this area called "Catfish Kitchen". Recently, while I was talking about it I accidentally called it "Catfish Kitten". Hilarity (NOT to be confused with Hillary) resulted & inspired this drawing:

catfishkitten-bw.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Wow MoKat where have I been, your sketches are still amazing! There are such details in the style of Robotnik and Bunnie that feel classic which you don't get a lot from fan artists if at all, not to mention Kalindra looking great.

Also we all love cats having a ball with a big fish as the catch of the day. xD

Keep them coming. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 4:36 PM, MoKat said:

Colored the kitty & used it in a Powerpoint about social engineering (still putting the .PPT together, BTW)

catphish1.jpg

Excellent work! Your sense of composition is improving. This is more a constructive graphics-design tip than general art tip: notice how the tail at the bottom is cropped by the screen. You can make the curvilleanear motion of the fish ”flow@” across the composition better by zomming the subject (the cat and fish in a little bit more toward the center) and finishing the line work for the tail if you wish to use this as a later date. Your line work is also getting cleaner and more defined. Some tapering and thick’s and thins would make it even better. 

On 3/24/2018 at 4:32 PM, MoKat said:

Yeah, he does :D:D

I'm on rather irregularly, so I hate to commit to anything long term, especially given that Real Life has a habit of throwing curveballs at me. For example, I have an interview at the local TSA office Monday. If I get the TSO job, it will be split-shift (not so bad, but the first shift is from 4-6 am o.O;) Even if I did have time, I dunno which character to use for that. Kat Mokat is usually for comedic RP's. Kalindra would be more suitable, but every RPG I've used her in has stalled. A brand new character perhaps (?)

And speaking of Kalindra...

kal-mug1.gif.51a621b7d66789bb4070b1156e402ad7.gif

... I really need to draw a new pic of her :P

Like I said in the above post - you have come a long way linework-wise. ;)

She looks perfect for the RP. But feel free to design a new character as well. I usually do all the grunt work to translate it into a character sheet and teach the rules as we play. She looks like she would be an “Eldricht Knight” class. 

As for the art work - give that gal some claws on her fingers and toes. She looks like the type to flaunt them rather than retract them. 

Note that RPs that stall here can be overridden and taken up by a new DM. Admins will continue games that stall for example that are in high demand to continue. Only one campaign here has ever stalled. We do a lot of them via PM and Skype then dump them into the RP section in a novel format. So it’s ends up making something that can be read like novel usually. They act like group literature projects by the end of play. We just edit them up and make sure they flow - and bingo. Only one RP so far here as stalled and that’s as because a now suspended member maliciously deleted content. It maybe restored but @WarTraveller idea for a traditional D&D game sounds real interesting so we will probably do that instead. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheRedStranger said:

It maybe restored but @WarTraveller idea for a traditional D&D game sounds real interesting so we will probably do that instead. 

I do indeed! I even put a topic of it up on the forums, here;

Granted I still need to work out a few of the ideas, but I've got plenty of people who will help there.

On 5/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, TheRedStranger said:

Excellent work! Your sense of composition is improving. This is more a constructive graphics-design tip than general art tip: notice how the tail at the bottom is cropped by the screen. You can make the curvilleanear motion of the fish ”flow@” across the composition better by zomming the subject (the cat and fish in a little bit more toward the center) and finishing the line work for the tail if you wish to use this as a later date. Your line work is also getting cleaner and more defined. Some tapering and thick’s and thins would make it even better. 

Yeah, the tail was a casualty of my crappy software not providing me with a workspace that was large enough to accommodate the full image (Compare the color image to the line art above - both have the tail cut off and came close to cutting off the ear as well.).

As for variation in line thickness goes, it would be a lot easier if I had a decent pen (or a brush; but brush & ink can get messy in a hurry - I'm the type of artist who tends to get as much paint on herself as on the painting :D)

18 hours ago, MoKat said:

Yeah, the tail was a casualty of my crappy software not providing me with a workspace that was large enough to accommodate the full image (Compare the color image to the line art above - both have the tail cut off and came close to cutting off the ear as well.).

As for variation in line thickness goes, it would be a lot easier if I had a decent pen (or a brush; but brush & ink can get messy in a hurry - I'm the type of artist who tends to get as much paint on herself as on the painting :D)

Physical Solution: Fabre Castell Brush Pen and Soft-Brush pen. You can get a pack of their ink pens 40% off with Hobby Lobby or Micheal’s with their respective 40% on Anything Off Daily Digital Coupon’s. 

https://www.hobbylobby.com/

Digital: Try out Painting Tool SAI - it has a brilliantly intuitive fine-detail linework tool. If you work your way up to it, then I really recommend Adobe Illustrator. But that is a professional tool and to get it legally and most update does cost a monthly fee, which is not bad given something like a student discount.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
9 hours ago, MoKat said:

Unfortunately, no; just haven't had the time (or inspiration) to just sit down & draw 😛

{edit: maybe some suggestions could help? Something like MoKat doing something silly? Or re-visit an old drawing from my fanart page?}

I say get out of your comfort zone in a comfortable way. Bit by bit, through a process you can play with. Given my background, I think I can give you some good art/psychological advice, to help. ;) Let's do this:

1) Get three pictures of landscapes you love, I mean really, really like. They can all be different - don't worry. Really good if they are slightly different, but have some main abstract theme, like their color scheme is shared but all are different outdoor scenes.

2) Sketch each, getting a detail for all three. Do each 10 seconds, then each one minute, then each ten. You will loosen up and this tricks your brain in to focusing on the big picture of the images compositionally, then refines it down to framing details into that image. This also gives you permission to not be a perfectionist and get less self-conscious of the process. Just do, there is no try - there is only doing and learning to do better. Art world calls these "gesture drawings" and the best of the best did them.

3) After doing that make a thirty minute sketch that merges parts of them in some way. This lets you synthesize data in a new way, which basically is the core mechanical hallmark of creativity.  If you don't like the image - that is okay. Its a learning process. After that, scan it or take a flat-level, clear photo with no shadows. Just needs to be clear and focused.

4) Take your old sketches and use a software of your choice like GIMP or Photoshop. Anything that can layer and transform images. Play around with your sketches of characters by cutting and pasting them! Warp them, liquefy them, and resize them into the context of the landscape.  Place them in the scene and try to make visualized story out of this. Print off versions of it you really like.

5) Take these images you really had fun with, and start drawing from scratch. Build off them. You can do a whole scene now, after all drew all this stuff before. :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, MoKat said:

Sketch & a painting I'm working on. I'm thinking about filling them in with black to make them look like silhouettes. Maybe add eyes & noses in a metallic color; not sure at this point.

cat-mouse-doodle.gif

catsmouse1b.gif

You can build good hand discipline for your line work with simple styles like this. Draw a lot of these for just a few minutes every day as a daily hand exercise. Do yourself a solid and try to do a mirror one right next to it. Don’t expect it to be perfect, but it will help you build up the muscle memory to create more symmetrical figures, as well as make your hand more steady for clean inking. Try to keep the stylus to paper without lifting for each line segment. 

• 2 months later...

Not really. It's been too hot to paint & everytime I sit down to sketch, Candy teleports onto my lap ;D

That reminds me that I need to check the pet thread because I don't think I've posted a photo of her there.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New paintings...

Haven't yet decided if the Tails painting is "done" or if I wanna do something more to it :P

Definitely need to do a little touch-up work with the darker blue on the whale once it dries.

6-2021-silvertrees.jpg

desk-Knuckles-Chuckles.jpg

6-2021-whale.jpg

6-2021-Tails1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...