I'm excited for Persona 5 but I'm also interested in Fire & Ice, mainly cause they delayed it for a whole year to work on it. I wonder if SEGA actually learned from their mistakes.

Delaying a game by a whole year sounds like it but I want to hear about how the demo goes first. I hope they release the demo on the eShop so I can try it myself

I heard that the devs are really stepping up and even looking at the Classic Genesis games in terms of level design, but who knows what that could mean, I mean people can trash Rise of Lyric all they want, it earned that, but from the looks of things Shattered Crystal looked okay, this could be more then okay...hopefully.

7 hours ago, ToaArcan said:

Yeah, I can't see there being much room for improvement. The trailer didn't look good.

But that was also in earlier development. With a year's time they could have improved a lot of the mechanics on it

9 minutes ago, Wulfsbane said:

But that was also in earlier development. With a year's time they could have improved a lot of the mechanics on it

AFAIK, it's losing the collect-a-thon aspect, but the whole fire and ice mechanic itself doesn't appeal. At this point I'm just in the mood for a regular game without more gimmicks.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Wulfsbane said:

Do it has been confirmed over the weekend that the only Sonic games that will be released in 2016 will be Fire & Ice and Mario & Sonic 2016.

The next "main" game will be released in 2017

So the 25th Anniversary of this franchise isn't getting that big game we all thought it would get. No Generations 2, no Adventure 3/4, not even a sequel to Colours. Instead, we've got a game from a dead sub-franchise and a spin-off game nobody in their right mind wants anymore. Celebrating a quarter-century of existence, of surviving the worst of the franchise, with nothing.

If that, to me at least, doesn't highlight SEGA's utter incompetence, I don't know what does.

Just now, WarTraveller said:

So the 25th Anniversary of this franchise isn't getting that big game we all thought it would get. No Generations 2, no Adventure 3/4, not even a sequel to Colours. Instead, we've got a game from a dead sub-franchise and a spin-off game nobody in their right mind wants anymore. Celebrating a quarter-century of existence, of surviving the worst of the franchise, with nothing.

If that, to me at least, doesn't highlight SEGA's utter incompetence, I don't know what does.

Or, since they did this with Fire & Ice, they are purposely holding off the game until 2017 to make sure it's ready and that all the development on it is complete? The last time they rushed an anniversary game, we got Sonic '06. And I'm pretty sure no one wants that again or anything close to that from Sonic Team ever again. It doesnt show they are incompetent, it shows that they arent rushing the games again to make some sort of special date just for the sake of having it for an anniversary year. Its shows they have learned from their mistakes or at least trying to. Does it suck that we arent getting a "main game" this year? Yes it does but if they pushed it back into 2017 to make sure we have a good quality game then I'm fine with it.

Also, they said "No main Sonic game in 2016". They didnt say "No Main Sonic game for the 25th anniversary." So they technically have until June 23rd, 2017 to give us a "Sonic 25th Anniversary Game"

1 hour ago, Wulfsbane said:
2 hours ago, WarTraveller said:

Or, since they did this with Fire & Ice, they are purposely holding off the game until 2017 to make sure it's ready and that all the development on it is complete? The last time they rushed an anniversary game, we got Sonic '06. And I'm pretty sure no one wants that again or anything close to that from Sonic Team ever again. It doesnt show they are incompetent, it shows that they arent rushing the games again to make some sort of special date just for the sake of having it for an anniversary year. Its shows they have learned from their mistakes or at least trying to. Does it suck that we arent getting a "main game" this year? Yes it does but if they pushed it back into 2017 to make sure we have a good quality game then I'm fine with it.

Also, they said "No main Sonic game in 2016". They didnt say "No Main Sonic game for the 25th anniversary." So they technically have until June 23rd, 2017 to give us a "Sonic 25th Anniversary Game"

I kind of agree with both these statements, I wouldn't want another sonic 06 due to  crunch-rushing, however like wartraveller I find sega's lack of action and planning to be overtly frustrating. They had years to develop another sonic title, yet instead they divied the IP out to a third party (which keep in mind sega's development teams wouldn't even have to do anything for) and subsequently drove it into the ground via lack of basic cohesion.

50 minutes ago, Ishapar said:

May sound off topic, but how many Mario Olympic games are they planning on  making?  The first one was fine, but after four games you think enough was enough.

It's a bit like the Movie Movies; as long as they keep selling thanks to people who have never heard of the concept before, they'll keep making them regardless of quality.

27 minutes ago, Ishapar said:

I have nothing wrong with game qualities, but they have made the same crossover game so many times.  Why don't they try something different (like an official game crossover)?

Woah woah woah, silence these heretical thoughts!!! We all know this is WAY too innovative for segtendo to successfully pull off. (I still agree wholeheartedly however)

• Like 1

I think once Yuji Naka left Sonic Team the hopes of a Mario/Sonic crossover kinda fell to the wayside. I guess Miyamoto and Naka wanted to do a big crossover game but I dont know what happened afterwards. I guess they both came up with an idea, maybe Nintendo didnt like it and Sega did or vise versa.

If Sonic recovers with the 25th* anniversary game then maybe the door could open again

*Subject to release date before June 23rd 2017

• 2 weeks later...
On July 2, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Wulfsbane said:

I think once Yuji Naka left Sonic Team the hopes of a Mario/Sonic crossover kinda fell to the wayside. I guess Miyamoto and Naka wanted to do a big crossover game but I dont know what happened afterwards. I guess they both came up with an idea, maybe Nintendo didnt like it and Sega did or vise versa.

If Sonic recovers with the 25th* anniversary game then maybe the door could open again

*Subject to release date before June 23rd 2017

Sounds like a possible thread. I would love to hear how everyone here would pull this cross over idea off. ;) 

That would probably look really cool if SEGA hadn't been pulling the "IT'S STILL 1992, RIGHT GUYS!?" card since 2010. At least Tails and Knuckles are back, I guess? I mean, we've had no gameplay footage of them, but still?

Also not liking the amount of reused assets. If they're intent on doing a rehash, at least give it a fresh coat of paint and make some new character art. I'm pretty sure that's the only image of classic Knuckles that they've got.

• Like 2

I'll be honest, the trailer looked awesome... right up until Classic Sonic appeared. His appearance tells me that this game is going to involve "Because time travels" and I'm going to spend half my 3D game in 2D even though they're making a 2D game and could've just kept them separate.

I brought this up in the SKype chat, but how long do you think it'll be before desperate fanboys take the grimmer setting and the tagline "Join the resistance" as absolute proof that the FF are definitely going to be in the game?

1 hour ago, ToaArcan said:

I brought this up in the SKype chat, but how long do you think it'll be before desperate fanboys take the grimmer setting and the tagline "Join the resistance" as absolute proof that the FF are definitely going to be in the game?

Dang, you beat me to it, Arcan! Though to be fair it would be pretty cool if they did. Only reason I can think of to use that tagline.

Regardless, I do think you're right. Generations WAS good, but I'm getting really, REALLY sick of Classic Sonic. Partly because I'm just finding it cynical now, and partly because of what his appearance entails for the game. The mandate is that Classic Sonic can't appear unless A: it's in the Genesis era or B: it involves time travel (which is the sole reason Classic didn't appear in the All Star Racing games, which fails to make sense to me). Yay, MORE time travel! 'Cause the Sonic games TOTALLY haven't proved it can't hack time travel or anything, have they? You know, like 06. And Rise of Lyric. And technically Shadow. in some paths.

It's annoying, really. I finally have the kind of Sonic game it looks like I want. It looks darker, it looks like it will take itself more seriously, and I'm going to make an off-the-wall guess and guess that the game might return to the Hedgehog Engine gameplay, the stuff they're actually GOOD at. It's also what I wanted them to do; make a smaller Classic game and release it alongside the the bigger Modern game, so people of both grounds get a good experience tailored for them. I should be incredibly happy at this turn of events...so why aren't I?

• Like 3

Because SEGA aren't doing what you wanted, they're making a smaller Classic game (Good!) and releasing it alongside a bigger Modern game (Good!) and shoehorning Classic-style gameplay into the Modern game to please the Mega Drive whiners (Bad!).

1 minute ago, ToaArcan said:

Because SEGA aren't doing what you wanted, they're making a smaller Classic game (Good!) and releasing it alongside a bigger Modern game (Good!) and shoehorning Classic-style gameplay into the Modern game to please the Mega Drive whiners (Bad!).

I suppose that's about right. That stream was an utter disaster.

16 minutes ago, TheRedAuthar said:

Sometimes heroes need help.......

So the grand choice is a second Sonic?  Forget Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, just make the whole cast Sonic.  Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic, Boom Sonic, Nerd Sonic, Girl Sonic, etc.

Seriously, Classic Sonic sees like the worst choice for a partner.  Unless they're saying he's the 2player Co-op Sonic.  Cuz I could live with that.

But I doubt it .

Ancient relic guardian sonic, Kid sonic, pyromancer sonic, sea captain sonic, timelord sonic, ninja sonic, detective sonic, dream-god-fairy-thing sonic, emo sonic, fan service sonic, talking vegetable sonic, human sonic...

Man that list really is endless.

35 minutes ago, TheRedAuthar said:

Sometimes heroes need help.......

So the grand choice is a second Sonic?  Forget Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, just make the whole cast Sonic.  Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic, Boom Sonic, Nerd Sonic, Girl Sonic, etc.

Seriously, Classic Sonic sees like the worst choice for a partner.  Unless they're saying he's the 2player Co-op Sonic.  Cuz I could live with that.

But I doubt it .

I like the idea of a girl Sonic. You could have it as a parody of the Werehog and call it Sonic Eyelashed.

7 minutes ago, F07E said:

Ancient relic guardian sonic, Kid sonic, pyromancer sonic, sea captain sonic, timelord sonic, ninja sonic, detective sonic, dream-god-fairy-thing sonic, emo sonic, fan service sonic, talking vegetable sonic, human sonic...

Man that list really is endless.

...Wait, wouldn't Fanservice Sonic just be Classic Sonic at this point? Human Sonic is just Sonicman.

11 minutes ago, WarTraveller said:

...Wait, wouldn't Fanservice Sonic just be Classic Sonic at this point? Human Sonic is just Sonicman.

Nah it'd be Rouge, but sonic, As everyone is sonic. Human sonic is just the awkward dude in the sonic costume during the stream, he too is sonic, as once again everyone is sonic.

5 minutes ago, F07E said:

Nah it'd be Rouge, but sonic, As everyone is sonic. Human sonic is just the awkward dude in the sonic costume during the stream, he too is sonic, as once again everyone is sonic.

A shame Though Sonicman is funnier. I'll be the first to admit, his redesign in the Archie comics is...pretty much spot on. He looks like a Sonic-themed Captain Falcon and it's amazing. Well, more so than the OTHER Archie Sonic Man. Curse those Mega Man crossovers...

• 2 weeks later...